[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Even More About RAM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 1353449682627.gif (493KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1353449682627.gif
493KB, 500x375px
OK, now I'm fucking angry. I'll preface this by stating yes, I'm a huge faggot with a prebuilt he's never upgraded before. Make fun of me if it'll make you feel better. But I'm about to pull out my goddamn hair and I'd appreciate any help.

How the fuck do you figure out what RAM is compatible with your motherboard? I don't have the paperwork that came with the computer (it's in another city with my parents) and the PDF I found on google and fucking PC part picker have both lied to me so I'm looking at buying RAM for a third goddamn time to find some that's compatible.

How do you know if it's compatible?

What the fuck all do I need to know about my motherboard to find the most granularly specific label I can google to spit out a goddamn list of RAM I can shove in this fucker and have work?

Please god make it stop.
>>
File: 56452980_l.jpg (114KB, 660x506px) Image search: [Google]
56452980_l.jpg
114KB, 660x506px
>>56926148
just google the motherboard and figure out what it needs?
>>
>>56926214
This just in, the fucking RAM compatibility tool on newegg DOESN'T LIST MY FUCKING MOTHERBOARD.

I own a motherboard that doesn't exist.

I have googled the motherboard, and the first time I got a PDF that supposedly listed compatible RAM and bought shit that doesn't work, and the second time I was redirected to a pc part picker search list for my motherboard and bought shit that doesn't goddamn work.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, why is this so difficult?
>>
>>56926148
I understand your pain, its very hard to figure it out. I would get ECC RAM, its compatible with ANY motherboard on the market, that's the beauty of it, people will argue for you to get DDR2 or 3, but then you have to do calculations on the frequencies of your CPU and the RAM to make sure they are in sync otherwise it may not work properly, so just get some ECC RAM, its so good that even servers run on it
>>
>>56926270
What's your motherboard?
>>
File: mobo.jpg (95KB, 679x551px) Image search: [Google]
mobo.jpg
95KB, 679x551px
>>56926280
>>
>>56926302
First result after searching the model:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#sp
Is that the board?
>>
>>56926302
DDR3. I have almost the same board.
>>
>>56926341
Yeah, that *looks* like it, but I don't know shit from anything about "chipset revisions" or if that's got anything to do with anything. Is there something buried in this page (which I've found googling before btw) that lists all compatible RAM? How can I be 1000% sure this is my board since I've seen an identical page for a similar mobo with a different rev. number?

>>56926345
I've bought 2 separate sets of DDR3 RAM that were all supposedly functional with my mobo, none of them work. I plug them in, computer will power on, but the BIOS won't even start.
>>
>>56926396
You can know!
Go to specs->memory. It'll tell you the acceptable RAM speeds/voltages
>>
File: 6926_big.jpg (919KB, 1000x817px) Image search: [Google]
6926_big.jpg
919KB, 1000x817px
>>56926396
>How can I be 1000% sure this is my board since I've seen an identical page for a similar mobo with a different rev. number?
Motherboard revision and chipset revision have nothing to do with each other. You need to look on the board to see what version it is.
>>
Can't you just open your case, look at the motherboard and find the exact model on it?
>>
File: ddr-vs-ddr2-vs-ddr3.jpg (27KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
ddr-vs-ddr2-vs-ddr3.jpg
27KB, 500x420px
Ignoring the issue of motherboard, you could just take the current RAM out and compare to this picture.
>>
>>56926418
Ah, and there's the list of compatible RAM I managed to find the first time. Well there's no point crying too much, I guess I'll just RMA the shit that doesn't work and try again... again.

Sidenote, I got 8 gig sticks from that stupid pc part picker result, but that list on the product page lists almost no compatible 8 gig sticks for my motherboard, and definitely not the ones I got. Is there a reason a mobo would be mostly compatible with smaller sticks but not larger ones? Age I guess?
>>
>>56926396
>I've bought 2 separate sets of DDR3 RAM that were all supposedly functional with my mobo, none of them work. I plug them in, computer will power on, but the BIOS won't even start.

Have you updated to whatever the latest bios version is for this motherboard? That will have a lot to do with memory support.

>>56926552
Speed and size also play a huge part of if it is compatible with a motherboard.
>>
all 3 revisions support the same memory
>DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz
post a link to the RAM that you bought
>>
>>56926270
>The RAM compatibility tool on Newegg
I would like to inform you that there are more websites than newegg
>>
>>56926552
wont they run out of space? when they get to ddr 7 where r they gonna put the little notch?
>>
>>56926606
Can't figure out how to bypass the spam bot, pic related.

Model number is CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R

>>56926620
And the other website's compatibility tool I used got me saddled with my current RAM that doesn't work.
>>
File: new ram.jpg (116KB, 1109x657px) Image search: [Google]
new ram.jpg
116KB, 1109x657px
>>56926689
And then I dropped my picture.
>>
>>56926706
Have you considered that your motherboard is the problem, faggot?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.