[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help a newfag to instal either gentoo or arch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

ok im a bit tired of shitdows 10, and i want to start using another os and it seems that arch or (meme)gentoo is popular around here, how can i install one, how can i run windows aplications, do i create a virtual machine or i use wine? i still run windows aplications
>>
and for gaming? is it posible?
>>
>>56916828
Install Gentoo
>>
if you love winshit proprietary software so much, just stick to windows.
do you really not know how to install linux? arch has a ridiculous amount of documentation. just install arch.
>>
You're not ready for either if you need someone holding your hand to install it.
>>
Don't start with Arch, there is a 100% chance you'll give up trying to get a desktop up. Easy your way in with Ubunutu. If you are sent on Arch just get an Arch based distro like Manjaro (one of my favorite distros).
>>
>>56916828
Open command prompt and type:
'Sudo apt-get install gentoo'
>you have successfully installed gentoo
>>
>>56916864
>i actually do i want tips, i have used ubuntu and Kvm
>and drivers?
my winshit propietary software is for school
>>
>>56916828
>i create a virtual machine
Yeah
>>
>>56916894
whats the difference?, i get the complete arch with a "friendly" gui?
>>
>>56916828
Just instal vanilla Ubuntu so you don't hate Linux after trying to install arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>56916828

> arch

get antergros. It's arch on retard mode (but you still get AUR).
>>
>>56916964
why on retard?
>>
>>56916925
No, don't listen to the people who tell you to install Antergos or Manjaro, they're not the same as vanilla Arch. Use Arch Anywhere or Architect, those are Arch installers with GUIs.
>>
>>56917004
and is it better at something vanilla arch?
>>
>>56916903
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>56916897
>Sudo
>>
Don't listen to these fuckers, if you want Arch then just install Arch. There's a shit ton of documentation so you should be able to figure it out as long as you're not completely incompetent

I'd recommend Void instead though, it doesn't break like Arch tends to and no systemd botnet
>>
>>56916828
Are you new to life?
Popular =/= better.
Popular =/= you're guaranteed to like it.
If you love Windows as much as it appears you do, just install ZorinOS or switch to Windows 7.
>>
well, what im going to do is going to install arch, and a virtual machine running windows
>>
im actually will create more threads, called newfag adventures in arch, where i will ask for tips and post shit that i found on the go
>>
Don't install arch. Gentoo is basically same steps but takes a little longer on compile time. If your doing a manual install you might as well use a source distro with the best package manger around.

>>56916834
Lots of playable games these days: steam has major titles with 1 click install, nearly all dx9 games work with wine and minimal tweaks, KVM pass through or steam in home streaming for dx11/12 games, console emulators will also add tons of playable titles easily if you need more.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.