[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is better? Working for Google as a software engineer for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: nZ4YuI3.png (70KB, 842x522px) Image search: [Google]
nZ4YuI3.png
70KB, 842x522px
What is better? Working for Google as a software engineer for 12 to 16 hours a day and making bank, or working as the IT guy for a small company, with a maximum workload of a couple hours per day, but for a much smaller paycheck?

I'd like if some of you had worked in both of these situations and what you liked more. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>56913702
This is really subjective and not exactly tech related, more like advice. What you're asking is essentially:

>Tell me what I should seek in my life, I need constant guidance and confirmation from others to feel like I'm worth something.
>>
>>56913702
Do you have expensive taste? Do you gravitate towards things that cost more?
>>
>>56913742
I'm just asking for feedback

>>56913764
No, I'm a cheap fuck. But I'm wondering if working at Google is really more "fulfilling" or if that's just horsehit.
>>
>>56913862
>I'm wondering if working at Google is really more "fulfilling"
It is what you make of it.
>>
to work at googes you probably need to live in a high cost area, more spent on a shitty shack piled up with others like you.

smaller company could be in a lower cost area, thus more money for hardware.
>>
>>56913702
do whatever makes you money, invest the money and live a decent life instead of retiring at 80
>>
SWE at a top tech company making around 175k in total compensation in Seattle (not Amazon, sorry folks). It depends on your team, DESU. At my company, some teams work 8-10 hours/day and are medium stress, but some are 12-16 hour a day teams. I imagine Google is the same. You have to be careful what team you join, not only for the amount of work you put in but what type of work you do and what you personally gain from doing the work. I don't regret joining the company that I did, but it is more work than the average person would care to put in. The big advantage at working for a big company is that when you move jobs, your resume is super solid and you can get (pretty much) any job you want. Plus if you work in a high stress high work environment, you learn a LOT in a short period of time. Just the experience itself is extremely valuable.

I took the Google route, but I know that most people would hate doing the route that I chose. But I enjoy the environment and the work, and DESU if I hated it, I wouldn't be doing it even if I still got paid the same insane amount.
>>
Google is huge and would look good on a future resume. Why the fuck wouldn't you choose Google?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.