[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ What do you really use Linux for as a daily drive? Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

/g/ What do you really use Linux for as a daily drive? Do you play games? Just browse the web? Develop some sort of software?

What makes you use it over Windows or OS X? I've been using Linux for years and deep down I want to use it but if I use Windows I have less work to do to get something running and the software will perform better. I don't have to google to fix problems. But I like to run it on secondary machines in my house like my laptop.

This isn't a troll thread, it's a genuine thread.
>>
>been using it for years

If that were true I doubt you would be making this thread asking this question.
>>
>>56911776
/thread
>>
>>56911776
I have been. The first time I used it was around 2010 or so. I ordered an Ubuntu CD when it used to be free and installed it on my computer.
>>
>What do you really use Linux for as a daily drive?
Programming, writing beautiful papers with LaTeX, browsing the web, video/audio editing, watch videos, connect to my servers and do shit there, basically anything besides gaming (except some light gaming(I have a gaymen desktop PC with Win10)).

>What makes you use it over Windows or OS X?
It's just comfy, it works perfectly for my use cases and I like it. I find that it performs better on the things I use it for than Windows or OS X, yet it's also a learning experience and can be fun to tinker with.
>>
>>56911814
Does anything ever break or work improperly?
>>
>>56911871
It did so on Windows, and it does so on Linux. From time to time, shit breaks, regardless of OS.

On Windows it might be harder to fix the problem because all you're told is that "Something went wrong".
>>
I use it for internet browsing, book reading, learning programming, etc. I also like the complexity of learning linux. I'm actually going to install gentoo for something to do.

A few weeks ago I was at a loss on it but after using linux I feel comfortable in trying it.
>>
>>56911871
Not him but this is pretty simple to me.

A) You have configured the system improperly. Great power great responsiblility etc, you will learn every time you mess up

B) There is a bug in preconfigured system or source code. The latter doesn't happen often at all but these things are a part of having a volunteer driven free environment. They will always be there but in my experience there are almost no issues nowadays
>>
>>56911750
>What do you really use Linux for as a daily drive?
Ubuntu

>Do you play games? Just browse the web? Develop some sort of software?
No, Yes, Yes

>What makes you use it over Windows or OS X?
Macs are a waste of money and Windows is ugly and invasive. Linux is also better for the C and Assembly development I do daily.

>I've been using Linux for years and deep down I want to use it but if I use Windows I have less work to do to get something running and the software will perform better.
Ubuntu works without any issues on my hardware. If your hardware hates Linux though I see no reason to switch unless you want to buy more compatible hardware.
>>
>>56911750
I use it for uni stuff mostly
>matlab
>SPICE
>MPLAB
>altera quartus
>eaglecad
>programming

I've got WPS office which does fine but I prefer to use office 365 (I get it free from my uni) and works on linux.

Other than that it's normie stuff like films, music, skype etc...
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.