[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Uefi_logo.svg.png (122KB, 2000x2310px) Image search: [Google]
Uefi_logo.svg.png
122KB, 2000x2310px
UEFI IS A PIECE OF SHIT
>>
Can someone explain to me exactly what UEFI is and why it's so important?

UEFI and BIOS caused the most problems in my arch and gentoo installs.
>>
>>56911650
UEFI is the awful replacement of the awful BIOS. Since UEFI written in C, it's full of (un)intentional vulnerabilities for everyone to exploit.
>>
>>56911712
What is the BIOS written in?
>>
>>56911749
C and assembly, of course.
>>
>>56911712
this
uefi is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist
>>
>>56911650
UEFI reinvents the wheel, but it's actually really fucking simple.
You need a EFI partition on your harddrive. This partition must be a FAT file system.
In the root of your EFI partition you need a directory named EFI. All boot stubs are stored in the directory named EFI.
Perhaps this is not making sense, but if i was to mount my EFI partition at /boot. The location of my kernel would be /boot/EFI/gentoo/the_kernel.efi
Nothing else really matters. I use refind to boot my OS, but efi boot stubs can boot by themselves without a boot manager. This is done on linux with a program called efibootmgr. kek.
>>
>>56911789
Why does it have to be a FAT file system?
>>
>>56911773
Except that GPT is superior to MBR, and if you need to boot from a 2TB drive or higher you can't use BIOS.
So there's 2 problems it solves.
Not to mention having a GUI interface with mouse support which is convenient.
>>
>>56911824
because uefi is bullshit forced on us by ms
>>
so which is more stable uefi or bios? or are they the same thing?
>>
>>56911835
it's not superior to mbr, it's a fucking pain in my ass, and who the fuck uses a large capacity drive as their boot drive?
>>
File: IMG_20160930_213513.jpg (2MB, 2368x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160930_213513.jpg
2MB, 2368x3200px
>>56911712
>C is bad and low level stuff shouldn't use it
OP confirmed a retard
>>
>>56911712
Get back to us when you've written the lowest level hardware initialization code in a computer in a managed language that can't even touch the hardware directly.
>>
>>56911850
>He doesn't boot from a 6TB NVME SSD.
Sorry I don't speak poverty.
>>
>>56911899
that's ok, poverty speaks you, you may not understand what it's saying but poverty is there, whispering in your ear
>>
>>56911850
Logical partitions are illogical m9.
>>
>>56911789
So much of bullshit instead of just selecting boot from USB and done.
Instead, you need a fucking FAT partition with some directory structure and files in it to boot the OS.
This is outrageous.
>>
>>56911587
Yes, it is. My motherboard has UEFI-BIOS, a custom version to prevent the device from completely sucking.
>>
You're going to have a bad time if your problem with uefi is it's low level software written in C...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.