[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: WOW LINUX.png (29KB, 992x290px) Image search: [Google]
WOW LINUX.png
29KB, 992x290px
Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet?
>>
>>56684189
Is for me
>>
>>56684342
I don't think it ever will
>>
>>56684189
it is if you aren't a literal retard or some fagboy gaymer.
>>
>>56684377
I have seen plenty of people that still don't go to linux, even when it's good enough.
>>
>>56684189
the Year of the Linux Desktop is going to arrive pretty soon because eventually the kind of people that use Linux are going to be the only people using desktops. Everyone else will be on smartphones and tablets, maybe a few will still have laptops.
>>
>>56684418
Yea maybe. How soon?
>>
>>56684440
well consumer sales of desktop PCs have been awfully weak for a long time. The only people that buy them are gamers and businesses. Some businesses, last place I worked I got issued a laptop, even though I never worked outside the office.

so I think it's arriving at the pace at which old boomers' superannuated P4s die off. Normies replace an old desktop with a mobile device, or don't replace it at all if they already have one.
>>
>>56684515
And keep consoles for gaming. But there will always be people using Windows I think.
>>
>>56684189
There will never be a year of the Linux desktop
>>
>>56684621
Yea probably
>>
>>56684543
>>And keep consoles for gaming. But there will always be people using Windows I think.
eventually that's just gonna be businesses. Windows will just turn into a platform for their expensive proprietary applications, along with a few things that businesses like that the free-software world hasn't replicated at the same level (I'm thinking of Active Directory)

And you're right, mainstream gaming will move onto consoles, but there probably will be some Linux support there.
>>
File: Spectacle.JH8131.png (59KB, 755x674px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.JH8131.png
59KB, 755x674px
>>56684189
Nice image without context, in that bundle there's practically no linux products:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-bundle

Take for example the most recent bundle where most products had linux support:
http://cheesetalks.net/humble/

In the bundle of your image is already impressive that so many people are counted as linux users, they probably dual boot.
>>
>>56684924
If they dual booted they would buy one windows.
>>
>>56684967
>If they dual booted they would buy one windows.
to be honest i don't understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>56684999
Sorry I am super fucking high. I think that if the user dual boots with both Linux and windows, they would buy the programs and shit mainly for windows.
>>
What is the most windows-like linux distro?
>>
>>56684189
>Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet?
I heard this meme in 2002
>>
>>56685716
Depends
>>
>>56685762
Yea that is how old it is.
>>
>>56685716
Most would probably say mint
>>
>>56685093
Exactly. Maybe they were counted as linux users because they bought the bundle from linux but most of the goods in the bundle doesn't contain linux-compatible content, so they'll use it on windows.
>>
>>56685886
Exactly! Bro but in all honesty I hope linux does better because windows is really going the drain. Especially with all the shit going on now, with spying bullshit.
>>
I was hopeful for a while, but then I just switched to OSX instead.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.