[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethernet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: cat6a.jpg (104KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cat6a.jpg
104KB, 1000x1000px
Hey /g/, planning to wire my home with ethernet. Is there any absolute *need* for a patch panel? Can't I just connect both ends of the cable to a wall plate, connect a patch cable from one of them to my computer and a patch cable from the other to my router?
>>
>>56671822
Yeah a patch panel is optional. you can terminate one end and just plug it directly into your router
>>
>>56671981
Can both ends be wall plates though? I wanna do this:

Computer <-Short Ethernet Cable-> Wall Plate (Keystone Jack) <-Long Ethernet Cable-> Wall Plate (Keystone Jack) <-Short Ethernet Cable-> Router
>>
>>56672006
That im not too sure about, always done runs with patch panels on one end and keystone plates on the other end. I dont see why not though?
>>
>>56672006
Yeah, patch panels are only really necessary if you have a bunch of connections. If you only have one or two you can put a keystone jack on both ends
>>
>>56671822
Well usually patch panels are used for multiple connections. So unless you need those connections, I would just go with plugging it in to the router. Makes life easier.
>>
>>56671822
Patch panels come into play when you have dozens if not hundreds of cables. I mean I guess you could but there's really no need or point.
>>
>>56672143
>>56672166
Alright, makes sense. I'm just trying to figure out if "daisy chaining" the cables like I said would work, just so I have a nice wall plate at both ends.
>>
>>56671822
>planning to wire my home with ethernet

Why when fiber exists?
>>
>>56672185
literally retarded post. would you like someone to break down the cost and ease of use factors?
>>
>>56671822
Patch panels are better looking that 30+ cables sticking out the wall directly to the switch.

Besides it fucks up the switch less.

Also do it like a sane person and break a wall and stick a cabinet in with patch panel and a smart switch if you don't know how to network.
>>
>>56671822
Usually patch panels exist because the server-side end of the cables DON'T have a wall plate.

If you have one then there's no need.
>>
>>56672185
Because optics aren't cheap and mgig will become mainstream before fiber ever will, but continue reading popular science and bringing that nonsense here.
>>
File: patch-panel-norwalk[1].jpg (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
patch-panel-norwalk[1].jpg
135KB, 800x600px
>>56671822
>Can't I just connect both ends of the cable to a wall plate, connect a patch cable from one of them to my computer and a patch cable from the other to my router?
if you can sure.

Patch panels are a thing because usually cables come into the server room in huge fuckoff bundles of like 30 cables each, like in pic related. There's no room to put all those on a wall panel. Hence, the patch panel.
>>
>>56671822
you don't need a patch. It's really only for organization and re-routing.
>>
How do you even run wire without ruining your walls? Genuinely curious, I'm tired of all my floor cables.
>>
>>56672185
Because home networks usually don't saturate even 1 gigabit.

No reason to tear up your house to add that infrastructure if ethernet is fine.
>>
>>56672321
You don't senpai.
>>
>>56672176
Oh, well can't you just just hook up a patch cable to the wall jack and lead it to your modem/router through the wall? And then plug another patch cable into that jack and plug it into your computer?
>>
>>56672321
I have mine running close to the wall, right above the skirting. Want me to take a photo?
>>
>>56672404
Yeah sure, how are you keeping them fixed in place?
>>
>>56672431
You could cable hooks or staples...
>>
File: P_20160918_224521.jpg (2MB, 3328x1872px)
P_20160918_224521.jpg
2MB, 3328x1872px
>>56672431
A terrible corner. And I don't know its name in America.
>>
>>56672540
Cable hooks.
>>
>>56672563
Oh, that's it. The ones I use are fixed using a nail.

Easy to install and very cheap.
>>
>>56672603
Yep. Actually had to do it a couple months back, pretty cheap!
>>
>>56672540
Thanks, I'll have to see if my hardware store has something similar. My skirting doesn't have the same shelf but it might be doable.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.