[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a power armor thread be best here at /k/ or /o/? If I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (54KB, 429x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 429x360px
Would a power armor thread be best here at /k/ or /o/? If I'm making the thread anyway. How would you make a suit of power armor? I'd use 2 1/2" thick titanium alloy plates to cover the chest and the arms and legs would be screwed onto the main chest piece. The joints would be made from some sort of rubbery lattice. Also for heavier builds we would put in some sort of "oversized co2 cartridges" that would release air pressure fast enough to help push the weight.
Anyway. How would you build one?
>>
>>56664099
Power armour is pretty worthless outside science fiction. You're never going to make it small and agile enough to fit into modern combat tactics and the idea that you'll become an impervious walking tank is laughable. A grenade, IED or anti tank rifle will easily make mince meat of even the toughest armour.

You might as well show up on the battlefield dressed as a knight. The concept of a loader as seen in Aliens is slightly more feasible but still isn't competitive with a forklift. Sorry to burst your bubble anon but reality isn't friendly to a powered exoskeleton.
>>
>>56664184

Also even if the armor could withstand the blast the person inside would die almost instantly in most cases. Brain turns into mush along with mass internal bleeding. No bomb deposal technician has ever survived a blast within the radius of a bomb in that juggernaut suit.
>>
>>56664276
Don't know anything about that. My only experience is as a conscript in my country's armed forces, which is basically a teenage version of playing soldier. You learn all the basics and after one week of running from cover to cover, crawling through bushes and marching, it becomes painfully clear that exoskeleton have no future in warfare.
>>
>>56664338
Jew
>>
>>56664099
Where does power armor stop and mecha suits start is a question I want to know.

>How would you build one?
with very strong and lightweight metals, far too expensive for anyone but private companies to build
but even with all that metal shielding if something shoots you, some of that force is still going to go to whatever is in the armor, just like with "bulletproof" armor.

So say you take some fallout like power armor out in the field as an effective tank, they soak up bullets from the enemy so your side can move up. Whoever is inside that armor will still feel ever one of those bullets just dampened. They'll probably die from the normal bullets, let alone armor piercing rounds. So the question remains, how would you build one without that happening?
>>
>>56664338
Exoskeleton =/= powerarmor
I can definitly see Exoskeletons having a future.
>>
>>56664383
Make the feet some sort of clamp and put in a gyroscope. The armor acting like a tank. When your in a tank and it gets shot do you feel it?
>>
File: 1419811725641.jpg (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1419811725641.jpg
218KB, 1920x1080px
>>56664451
gyroscopes in the feet for speed sound like a great idea

>When your in a tank and it gets shot do you feel it?
this is on a smaller scale than a tank so i suppose it really just depends on what kind of armor you can get on the power armor

Has anyone read The Age of Zeus by James Lovegroove?
Great sci-fi where the protagonists wear power armor like exo-suits covered in NANOMACHINES to compensate damage, act as camouflage, give tremendous strength, etc.
>>
>>56664378
There are other countries with mandatory military service. Some Scandinavian countries have it, for example.
>>56664403
Do you think they'll be agile and reliable enough? Will they be able to withstand diving into cover? Things have to be pretty robust to survive that. As the old saying goes, it may be idiot proof but is it infantry proof?
>>
>>56664099
The first challenge is constructing an exo-suit slim enough to be useful, but strong enough to support that weight.
The second challenge is then to power said exo-suit.

As for protecting the pilot. Well. Chobam is the only real answer there. An RPG will rip through conventional metals easy enough, steel and titanium stand no chance. Chobam is a tried and proven armour composition.

With the rate that prosthesis are coming along, a fully functional hand wouldn't be too hard to construct and control.

Entering the suit would no doubt end up requiring some 2-piece system similar I guess to the EVA suits used by NASA.

But as mentioned, the challenge is in the underlying skeleton of it all. More so in powering it.
It wouldn't be all too convenient if you had to have a tank following you around with an additional power pack and generator in place of the turret and power lines running to you.
>>
i'd say things like exoskeletons would have some use in helping a wounded soldier still be mobile enough to get out of further danger. if shot in the leg, he may still be able to stand and walk, rather than being confimed to crawling for help.

power armor, not so much, for reasons already discussed in this thread. too easily bypassed with explosives.
>>
>>56664099
>>>/diy/
>>
File: raytheon-XOS-2-exoskeleton.jpg (91KB, 619x419px) Image search: [Google]
raytheon-XOS-2-exoskeleton.jpg
91KB, 619x419px
>>56664184
>You're never going to make it small and agile enough to fit into modern combat tactics

Raytheon already has power armor, the only issue was the battery, so they moved on to lighter exoskeletons like HULK.
>>
>>56664804
You don't know shit about weapons or armor, m8.
>>
>>56665488
Congrats.
You asked /g/ about weapons of war, and got an answer from someone who knows nothing of the topic. You can return to /k/ now, or did the mods there get sick of your daily shitposting of this stupid ass question?
>>
>>56665531
I'm not OP, I'm a local. I just know my weapons.
He just said something along the lines of "Fury is slower than a gtx 1060, because it has 2gb less memory".
That hurt to read.
>>
You think that is the best we could come up with if there was a power source able to run a power suit for any useful amount of time? a power pack like that would change the world.
>>
>>56664697
So basically crisis?
>>56664788
Yes sure why not. I have recently read a paper on exactly this topic and what we have right now is; basic exoskeletons that can support carrying weights and running/walking. Biggest problem is that they only last a few hours max. But this is whats in use in for example hospitals in japan as of today so who knows whats in the labs right now. Also yes they are pretty sturdy as most components are fairly simple in design.
>>
>>56667307
>Also yes they are pretty sturdy as most components are fairly simple in design.
You don't understand, the G3 is "pretty sturdy" and an infantry soldier will have no problem destroying it by accident. The HK 416 is sturdy by modern standards but certain parts break as if they were made of tissue. There is no way we can ever make an exoskeleton capable of keeping up with a soldier.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.