[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SICP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
can someone relatively new finish or learn the whole thing in a week?
>>
>>56662726
do you need lisp in your life ?
>>
>>56662726
Depends how good their math is.
>>
I wanna read this but I don't wanna learn scheme because I'll never use it again
>>
>>56662726
If they're not a retard
>>
>>56663127
I can divide and multiply.
>>
>>56663148
(+ 1 1) instead of 1 + 1

you just learned scheme congrats
>>
>>56663172
This pretty much. Scheme is very simple and SICP is not a book about learning it, it's only used as examples of implementation
>>
>>56662726
Why would you want to rush through it?
>>
>>56662726
it might take you a couple reads through to get the most out of it, but that's the sign of a good book. i did a cursory read through of the first half and i'm glad i did, because we're on the scheme section in one of my classes now and everyone is lost but me. the professor had such a look of pride when he saw that i was the only one actually using the mit/gnu interpreter and following along with what he was saying
>>
What if I don't really get the material in the book? Does that mean I'm retarded?
>>
>>56664034
it depends on what you're not getting. it takes some time for more people to understand recursion, but you should be able to understand assignment and sequence right away.

(define a 3)
(define b 5)
(define b (* a 2))

without using the computer, what's the values of a and b at the end? if you don't know then you should probably give up right now, because your brain isn't wired the way it needs to be
>>
>>56663172
polish notation?
>>
what about metaprogramming concepts?
would it help me if I already know some langs, but know nothing about FP and metaprogramming?
>>
are there any good video lectures beside the one from the 1986

theres CS61A on berkeley but it's sicp using python i dont want that
>>
>>56663104
don't you need life in your lisp?
>>
>>56662726
Don't even bother

The book is shit and completely outdated, not even that good at teaching programming and understanding algorithms either

It focuses more on having you do a single math problem using 30 different methods ad nauseum so you gain an in-depth """"""understanding"""""" but in the end all you achieved is you learned a completely useless language unless you intend to write emacs plugins (in which case you're better off just learning lisp as you go) and wasted a ton of time

It's a great book to have on your shelf as decoration but completely useless in this century
There's a reason MIT doesn't teach Lisp anymore and that's because it's a language for mathfags that can't wrap their heads around basic concepts of computation and have to have everything written as mathematical representations, rather than algorithmic
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.