[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to give Arch a try. Can someone please recommend me a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Arch_Linux_logo.svg.png (7KB, 250x74px) Image search: [Google]
Arch_Linux_logo.svg.png
7KB, 250x74px
Looking to give Arch a try. Can someone please recommend me a DE that is lightweight and without bloat? Coming from Windows, so something similar to that would be nice
>>
>>56654195
To add to this, so far something like Cinnamon and MATE looks really good
>>
KDE or Unity
>>
>>56654195
Cinnamon or KDE.

KDE 5.8 finally solved the Libreoffice theme issue
>>
>>56654195
If you're brave, I'm enjoying i3
If you're new to linux and want an easy transition, cinnamon > xfce > kde
>>
>>56654195
If you're coming from Windows ANY DE is lightweight.
I's start at GNOME, KDE or MATE desu.
LXDE is more lightweight, but still userfriendly
>>
>>56654195
MATE-GTK3.

KDE a shit, GNOME a shit, don't trust them. I have personal experience that KDE STILL has bugs. And no amount of searching will ever solve them. And for what? Some pretty eye effects and a QT based environment that not a lot of effects exist for?

It is not lightweight in any stretch of the imagination. I believe it's heavier than GNOME. GNOME is a tablet OS now, so I don't really care for it too much.

So, you'll be wanting to go with MATE or Xfce.

I personally recommend MATE, and arch has the mate-gtk3 builds in the repo. Been using it for a while and have no problems. Only a few things don't work (you can't change system colors from the appearance menu still, but gnome tweak tool werks). MATE was always kind of "meh" looking, but equivalent to Xfce in the sense that themes fix it. Now, I legitimately can't imagine using anything else, and I used to be a huge xfce fag. Everything looks great. It's rock stable. It's simple and easy to configure. I personally use mine with compiz on my desktop. Maximum comfy with mate-menu.

Otherwise, either go with the stable MATE build or Xfce. Both are good shit on arch.
>>
>>56654215
>>56654390
>>56654419
>>56654428
Thanks a ton!

>>56654523
Anything wrong with Cinnamon? Thanks
>>
>>56654641
>Anything wrong with Cinnamon?

Is "I don't like it" a reason?

I haven't seen a lot of images that make Cinnamon look good. I've used it briefly, and I just didn't care for it myself but that was a LONG time ago. (And a lot of that frustration could have come from Mint). It's worth giving a shot anyways if it tickles your fancy. No idea how well it runs on arch though.
>>
>>56654679
Sure that's a good reason
>>
lightweight
>xfce

similar to windows
>cinnamon

Take your pick. Personally, I go with xfce since it won't be completely different from windows, but is also lightweight.
>>
>>56654195
deepin is the shit, my man
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.