[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Data Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: Fotolia_83642646_S_copyright.jpg (383KB, 894x575px) Image search: [Google]
Fotolia_83642646_S_copyright.jpg
383KB, 894x575px
Give it to me straight, /g/. Is data science a meme?
>>
File: mds.png (150KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mds.png
150KB, 848x1200px
I'll post some infographs to help you decide.
>>
File: Data-Scientist-Infographic.png (643KB, 750x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Data-Scientist-Infographic.png
643KB, 750x1350px
>>
>>
>>
judging by the the tryhard infographs it's full on meme career
>>
>>56652457
I can't really explain why this bothered me so much.
>>
>>56652448
Honestly? No. Data science, which I assume is just the bullshit name they give to data analysis is actually rather practical.

To find someone that can work both sides of the field to a workable degree; e.g., both business and development, or marketing and development, or what have you and integrate results is a bit difficult.
>>
>>56652457
>programming
>algebra

>computer science
>not math
>subordinate to programming

Is this some yryl in disguise?
>>
>>56652662
Then why are they so intent on selling this profession to the hipster Starbucks crowd?
>>
>>56652662
get you a man who can do both
>>
>>56652777
I didn't read any of the info graphics because they seemed like bullshit.

>>56652796
Exactly, but that's really not the issue. The issue is being able to do both to a moderate degree, while being able to communicate your issues to both sides, while also being relatively price effective.

For instance, to hire someone with decent experience in both industries is expensive. To hire someone fresh that has an MBA and some sort of Comp Sci degree is also expensive, but less so.

So, essentially data analysis, PM, MIS, whatever they want to call it is a shortcut because larger businesses need a ton of these people to manage projects and the like, but can't either find the people or pay the people to do so.
>>
This career has been around for decades. It's called being a statistician and there is a massive oversupply of candidates.
>>
>>56652448
>Is data science a meme?
The name? Meme-y as hell. What they're actually doing? Sensible. But we were doing this stuff before "Data Science" and we'll be doing it after the name is long gone.
>>
it is a meme beyond meme
>>
>>56652448
I pray to god every day that it's not.
Going to start a two year DS Masters program in a few weeks at my university. My background is in CS, but after finishing my degree and working at different companies, I honestly don't want to have much to do with the work/people in this field. I just hope, that by the time I finished the MS, there's still enough hype to get a job.
>>
>>56654730
Can you explain what data science is without using memes?
>>
File: aliens.jpg (103KB, 470x411px) Image search: [Google]
aliens.jpg
103KB, 470x411px
>>56654730
Well, how much work experience do you have? Honestly, no one wants to hire fresh out of university data analysts or business managers. I would honestly recommend while in those two years go to some new start up and try to manage their shit, or do volunteer work with project management, or go do lab work that requires data management.

>>56655029
Data science is a bullshit label made to make something like "Data analysis" seem more interesting.

Data analysis or MIS or whatever is about being able to accurately record, recommend, manage, and communicate business needs between clients, development, and upper management.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.