[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you have confidence that open source is not spyware?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: penguin_sh.jpg (9KB, 250x172px) Image search: [Google]
penguin_sh.jpg
9KB, 250x172px
What do you have confidence that open source is not spyware?
Has anybody looked into all source codes?
What is your confidence that GNU/Linux is not a botnet?
How much source code you see?

"The Greatest Darkness Is Under The Lamp."
>>
>Has anybody looked into all source codes?
yes.
>>
>>56644207
Everyone cares only for his part, no one has seen it all.
>>
>>56644196
>Has anybody looked into all source codes

You really underestimate the power of autism. You need to remember why you just typed GNU/Linux (preferably GNU plus Linux).
>>
>>56644196
Not only is the different subsystems peer reviewed by hundreds of different kernel developers with credibility, it's also reviewed by thousands of different people that are not kernel developers and that will not hesitate in pointing out potential weaknesses and flaws and send in patches.

Personally I've looked extensively in to both the TCP engine and the PCI subsystems because of my work, and I haven't discovered anything iffy there. I also know how difficult it is to get a patch approved and included, so it's not really possible to submit a patch containing a backdoor and have it included without anyone discovering what it does. Code that no one understands is not included into Linux.

The only potential for risk is binary blobs, but these are not included into the Linux mainline branch and never will be. Make sure you install a kernel that is free from these if you are feeling unsafe.
>>
>>56644229
>Everyone cares only for his part, no one has seen it all.
There's no need to. The job of maintaining each subsystem is delegated between multiple highly trusted developers, and each subsystem is thoroughly scrutinised.
>>
>>56644229
>Everyone cares only for his part

Not true people are very interested in tearing down the work of others.
>>
>>56644196
>What is your confidence that GNU/Linux is not a botnet?

I checked the source :^)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.