[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crashing this simulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

File: SeanMurray_20160522-000156_1.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
SeanMurray_20160522-000156_1.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
Assuming our universe is a simualtion, and the programmer is a hack, how would we go about crashing the simulation?
>>
>>56644143
>Assuming I'm not full of shit anyway could this discussion be interesting?

No, it couldn't.
>>
What if this kind of thing is what black holes are for?

inb4 >>>/sci/ >>>/x/
>>
>>56644143
If we can't imagine 4D shapes, we can't find a way around the system at all.

As in, we're prebuilt desktops that can't perform better.
>>
Maybe we could cause a stack overflow or something.
Start stacking shit.
>>
File: tmp_30344-images363461678.jpg (9KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30344-images363461678.jpg
9KB, 254x198px
>>56644282
I'M GIVING IT ALL I'VE GOT, BOSS, BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORKING
>>
:(){ : | : & };:
>>
I honestly believe our universe is binary, digital universe, but we just didn't reach those 0s and 1s.

Probably it's procedurally created to save space, thus the bug in double slit experiement
>>
>>56644143
>Hi, I'm an impressionable NEET that learned five things about computer science and now believes that it applies to everything!

>>56644342
Yeah, you might just as well believe in fairies. Learn a little bit about physics and you might see that NOTHING about current physical theories resembles a digital world.
>>
>>56644374
>current physical theories

I'd be terrified if they did resemble digital world, that would mean we indeed are living in digital world

but this what i believe in, gotta have faith in something
>>
>>56644397
The point is that there's not even a hint that we live in a digital world, just fucking nothing. The only exception are quantum numbers such as charge, spin etc that seem to be quantized. But that's it and it's hardly enough.
>>
>>56644143
You could always fire one electron at a time through a double slit and see if there's a difference if you observe which slit they go through. It would be pretty embarrassing if things worked differently depending on whether they are observed or not.
>>
killing yoursef.

it's not supposed to happen, so it creates a segfault

:^)
>>
>>56644561
You don't understand quantum mechanics, please stop posting about it.
>>
>>56644574
Now would be a good time to explain how it works instead of acting like a baby.
>>
>universe is a simulation

Are you fucking retarded? Do you have any ide how big the universe is? No computer can hold that much information
>>
>>56644143
Had he ever gone outside in just life?

His skin has zero sun damage.

He's like a dermatologist's wet dream.
>>
>>56644561
>electrons only exist at discrete energy levels
>plank length is effectively the smallest unit of distance
????
>>
>>56644605
It's called foundation make up, it's what they use when you go in a brightly lit studio so no one can see your pimples and blackheads.
>>
>>56644605
>Doctor my skin is badly sun damaged what can I do
>Here, one dose of JPEG compression should do the trick
>>
>>56644574
Is this one of those "nobody understands quantum mechanics" things? I've taken quite a few courses on it so I would be interested in hearing what provokes you so much about my post. Do you think you understand quantum mechanics?
>>
>>56644620
kek
>>
>>56644622
Sounds like you went into the wrong lectures then, because you talk like a fag and your shit is all wrong
>>
sudo rm -f
>>
>>56644620
more like noise reduction desu
>>
>>56644603
You don't need it to hold all the information if it's procedurally generated.

Also, as long as it's not infinite you could always concieve of a computer that can handle the computation.
>>
>>56644585
There's nothing paradoxical about it. You observing the electron changes its wave function and thus changing the resulting interference pattern on your screen. Note that you can't observe a particle without interacting with the particle and thus altering its state. The idea of observation in this case has nothing to do with consciousness or any other kind of philosophical thing, it's just about what we need to do to receive information about it.

>>56644614
>electrons only exist at discrete energy levels
That is not true, where did you read about it? Free electrons can have any energies. What you mean is bound electrons can only have discrete energy levels, although this has only approximate validity. If you are looking close enough, they are not as discrete as a digital universe would make them.

>plank length is effectively the smallest unit of distance
That is also not true, although a common misconception. We simply have no idea what happens on that length scale as our theories are known to stop working on those length/energy scales. There's is no theory that explicitly identifies some kind of "grid" on which things happen.
>>
>>56644469
>The point is that there's not even a hint that we live in a digital world, just fucking nothing.

Dr. Sylvester James Gates' work disagrees with you. The fundamental fabric of reality uses error correction.
>>
>>56644639
>wow I actually don't know anything this subject
>better insult him!

:^)
>>
>>56644653
>There's is no theory that explicitly identifies some kind of "grid" on which things happen.
Not that the uninitiated know about anyway ;^)
>>
>>56644653
>There's nothing paradoxical about it. You observing the electron changes its wave function and thus changing the resulting interference pattern on your screen. Note that you can't observe a particle without interacting with the particle and thus altering its state. The idea of observation in this case has nothing to do with consciousness or any other kind of philosophical thing, it's just about what we need to do to receive information about it.

So what is the technical difference between looking at the particles while they go through the slit and observing the effects on the target afterwards?
>>
>>56644143
>how would we go about crashing the simulation?
by getting a woman to agree with going out with you.
>>
>>56644672
Butthurt faggot detected
>>
>>56644737
Thank you for continuing to prove my point.
>>
>>56644713
You need to realize that there is no passive way to observe anything. You are always altering whatever you are observing by observing it. You could use light to observe say, an electron. But the photons need to interact with the electron in order to return any information. When they do that, they change the path of the electron. No matter what you try, you can't observe it without altering the state.
>>
>>56644754
Yeah, because nothing says "I really know my shit" than greentexting a strawman argument and topping it off with a carat nose smiley face

Fucking underaged faggot.

Your pretend "credentials" doesn't mean shit on an anonymous image board. If you weren't such a newfag in life, you would know this.
>>
>>56644764
>Implying anyone is firing photons at the electron to observer it
?
They're not
?
>>
put the son of destruction at the head of a global government

you'll be amazed what the patch is
>>
>>56644794
Then what else are you going to do? Meditate about it and feel its chi?
>>
>>56644672
>replying with meme arrows instead of content
Your insecurities are showing, anon.
>>
>>56644653

Fighting the ignorance on 4chan. I admire you.
>>
>>56644808
?
Let it interact with some material at the end of it's path
?
>>
>>56644765
I never claimed to know anything about quantum mechanics. I'm not the same guy you were originally arguing with. I just called you out for responding with insults in a factual discussion. It made you look like you had no idea what you were talking about. Your latest posts have only reinforced that.

If you think someone is wrong about something, explain to them what is wrong and why. Don't be an autistic retard and throw insults like a 10 year old.
>>
>>56644844
If you think meme arrows, a strawman and a carat nose smiley face is "calling someone out" then you should kill yourself for being a stupid nigger.
>>
>>56644825
Yes, then you see an interference pattern. The whole idea of the supposed paradox is the following:

>First experiment: We shoot electrons against a double slit. On a screen behind the slit we see an interference pattern that is in agreement with a wave-like nature of the electrons when statistics are high enough.

>Second experiment: Same as the first, but this time we have some kind of device attached to both slits that reports through which slit an electron has moved through. The interference pattern now disappears and what we see on screen is smeared out and in agreement with a particle-like nature of the electron.

I already explained why this is the case.
>>
>>56644469
>The point is that there's not even a hint that we live in a digital world
Hu... hm... i mean... i know this steak is not real, but it's good i like the taste. Even though... i don't know if it even what's it's suppose to taste. How can y'all know about the taste of that delicious, guicy, well cooked steak ?
>>
>>56644844
I thought you were just pretending to me to rile him up so I stopped replying.
>>
>>56644603
If the universe is a simulation the device running the universe simulation might operate under different laws of physics. That's assuming we even could comprehend what's going on outside.
>>
>>56644874
can you explain wave interference?
>>
>>56644143
>Crashing this simulation
with no survivors
>>
this thread got me googling
>Sending particles through a double-slit apparatus one at a time results in single particles appearing on the screen, as expected.

>However, an interference pattern emerges when these particles are allowed to build up one by one

Then scientist go on to claim that this proves wave-particle duality.
But I don't understand, all this proves is that the slits effect where the particles land.
This doesn't mean the particles have a wave like property but that the slits effect the particles position in a wave like fashion.
>>
>universe is simulated
Are there any calculations about whether or not pi is "actually" correct.
What would we have to measure to realize that the 12 trillion digits are just math and the simulation is using a "shorter" value?
>>
File: mfw-dog2.jpg (56KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
mfw-dog2.jpg
56KB, 600x800px
>god made universe
>god made man in his image
>mfw god made a universe with 7 billion evil narcissists like himself except with no power to get a good laugh
>>
>>56645065
The pattern is an interference pattern. If the particles came through like balls then you'd see an even spread.
>>
>>56645065
>This doesn't mean the particles have a wave like property but that the slits effect the particles position in a wave like fashion.
I don't understand the distinction
>>
>>56645101
>it's just a shitty science project of a high-schooler
>it's a C-
>>
>>56645089
The digits of pi is tied to the seemingly infinite inner world of matter and ultimately becomes finite if there is a "smallest thing", as that's the limit of how "perfect" a circle can be.

There wouldn't be any need for the simulation to ever have a pi value because pi is merely a mathematical representation of something simple that appears complex because we're so far from the "smallest thing".
>>
>>56645130
if we drop balls of metal on a table we can expect them to spread out from the center of the drop point. regular shit.

but if we vibrate the table at a frequency we will see a wave like distribution of balls on the table

the analogy doesn't really work but what I'm trying to say is that it's not the property of the balls that created the wave like distribution but something else (in this case us vibrating the table)
>>
>>56644998
Probably not in any satisfying way. I can answer specific questions you may have, but explaining it from ground up will probably confuse you more than it would help.

>>56645065
To understand that you need to look at the exact pattern that emerges on the screen. It's not just some random pattern, it's a very specific pattern that can easily be explained if you imagine the particles as waves.

It's hard to get your head around it. Basically, what happens is:

>There's a field, which we just call fermion field.
>The fermion field kind of works like a wave
>The fermion field can interact with other fermion fields (and photon fields)
>It does that in discrete portions and the probability that it does this is proportional to the amplitude of the field

So the dots on the screen are particles, but particles are not the fundamental object. The fields are. The dots are just where the fields happened to interact with the fermion fields of the material the screen is made out of.

Honestly, basically particles don't even exist. They are more or less a mathematical abstractions of what the fields do or rather their interactions with other fields. It's a useful abstraction, but it's not the most fundamental way to look at the world.
>>
>>56645167
So what are the particles vibrating through?
The ether?
They disproved that.
Look up the disproof for that.
>>
>>56645101
Everything is a fractal, little dog
>>
The physics engine is just too good.

Try hacking the AI
>>
>>56645189
the slits
whatever is used for observation
the air
background wave like radiation of the universe

I'm mostly kidding since if that were true we wouldn't need the slits at all to see a wave like distribution so it's clearly something to do with the slits
>>
>>56645101
But then, is God's universe another simulation? Who is his god?
>>
>>56645175
fuck well more shit to google

I made a sci thread if you wanna post that there
>>8351721
>>
File: th[1].jpg (13KB, 228x300px) Image search: [Google]
th[1].jpg
13KB, 228x300px
>>56644143
>how would we go about crashing the simulation?
With no survivors!
>>
>>56644469
planck time and distance

>>56644282
literally black holes
>>
>>56645235
/thread
>>
>>56644215
>>/x/
lol i kek'd
>>
>>56645175
>Honestly, basically particles don't even exist. They are more or less a mathematical abstractions of what the fields do or rather their interactions with other fields. It's a useful abstraction, but it's not the most fundamental way to look at the world.

Looking at it like that makes it way more logical. Why do people always say shit like "it's a particle and a wave at the same time", or "now the wave collapsed into a particle" when that's just not correct?
>>
>>56645213
But that seems like a much more complicated model. Why not just accept that it's the particles that have a wave nature?
>>
>>56645369
>Why do people always say shit like "it's a particle and a wave at the same time",
The material filtering down from academia over the past 10 or so years has been rapidly changing. This was the common popsci understanding of it that has been retold on a bunch of cable tv shows.

Think of it like a range of influence. Certain actions will be aroused if the range is entered. Messenger particles are even stranger still, though there is still logic from top to bottom. Nothing is too difficult to wrap our heads around. Everything is only a matter of finding valid ways to prove our models of understanding.
>>
>>56645422
Are you a wave or a particle?
>>
>>56645444
Sorry that was meant for >>56645369
>>
>>56645135
>>it's a C-
No, the universe would be written in straight C senpai.
>>
>>56644143
Each entity is sandboxed to prevent a system wide fault.
>>
>>56644143
Why would you ever want to crash the simulation? We would all cease to exist.
>>
perhaps we're alone and they made this huge procedurally generated universe to see how fast our sandbox's random seed gets to FTL travel
>>
>>56644143
You convince everyone to abandon religion and then explore space until shit runs out of ram.
>>
theres a 10 year old script kiddie who needs a new race for his mmorpg game and did this experiment to find out which one's the most capable
>>
File: nightmaregoogles.jpg (30KB, 652x315px) Image search: [Google]
nightmaregoogles.jpg
30KB, 652x315px
>>56646318
>We would all cease to exist.
Exacly.
>>
>>56644143
we need to make all humans shitpost so hard that reality will break.
Meme magic is real, crashed a plane only with /tv/shitposters.
Pepe is now public enemy one of hillary and trump might become president.
>>
>>56644574
>implying that quantum mechs arent just a way to save ram in the simulation super computer.
>>
>>56646618
>shitpost so hard that reality will break
I know just the guys.
They managed to shitpost so hard they caused their fauna AND flora aggression value to underflow to max value
>>
Crashing the sim might kill us all and start it again...

At least save the game before you try anon.

But heres a hint, get a bullet and put it in a chamber and aim at your temple, and press the trigger button. This will start the crash.exe app
>>
>>56644622
sounds like a really long-winded way to make someone else explain it for you
>>
Smoke DMT.
>>
Just divide by zero and get an integer as a result
>>
>>56647121
0^0=1.
>>
>make so many objects that the simulation runs out of memory
>>
>>56647239
>sim.world.OutOfMemoryError
>>
File: lisp.png (703KB, 1125x800px) Image search: [Google]
lisp.png
703KB, 1125x800px
>>56647267
>he doesn't know that this universe is written in lisp
>>
Did you know c is a hard limit because going faster than it would allow us to mess with the integrity of the data distributed between the different computers simulating us? Did you know the planck length is a pixel and the planck time corresponds to each tick of our simulation?
>>
>>56644374
>Learn a little bit about physics and you might see that NOTHING about current physical theories resembles a digital world.

That just means it's a good physics engine.
>>
File: roboth.jpg (78KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
roboth.jpg
78KB, 900x1200px
Wanna know something fun?

When particles are left unobserved, physics stop working for them and they fall into a superposition - they basically "bug" and are not really rendered. The same applies for modern videogames where everything outside your PoV is not rendered. The reason for that is that it's an insanely efficient way to preserve processing power.

The limit of the speed of light should not exist. However, it does. Why is there a limit for the maximum achievable speed in this universe?
Because the universe has a "refresh rate", which is the time that the object (that is supposed to be) without a speed limit travels from the smallest point of space to the following one next to it.
In an actual reality, there would be no slow-down for it and it should be instantaneous, since the dimensions when traveling at that speed collapse into a single point and you're literally traversing the whole universe instantly. Instead, it "lags".

It lags because in order to accurately simulate 10 kilometers of reality, you'd need a simulating machine that is at least as big for the processing power required.
UNLESS, of course, you reduce the other part of the equation, which is speed of the simulation - unless you slow it down. One second of "realtime" time can be equal to half a second simulation time, which means that the processing power needed to run that slowed-down simulation just dropped by a half. Slow it down enough compared to reality, and you might as well simulate a planet-wide reality on your smartphone.

Introducing an incredibly short "lag" between the refreshes of a software can reduce its CPU usage by a million times. In a program that cycles through a loop and checks conditions (if a button is pressed, for an example), a forced 0.01 seconds of "lag" can be the difference of 80% and 0.08% CPU usage.

Basically, our universe has that hardcoded in it, and the limit of the maximum speed is the full proof that it exists.
>>
>>56647535
>When particles are left unobserved
Wouldnt that be impossible to prove?
>>
>>56644143
This may happen in the HCL
>>
>>56647556
It has been proven.

>One of the most bizarre premises of quantum theory, which has long fascinated philosophers and physicists alike, states that by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/02/980227055013.htm
>>
>>56644143
Given that supermasive black holes exist and the universe/simulation hasnt crashed yet we can safely assume that programmer was a hack.
But to answer the question I think zero point energy is where its at. Learn how to draw it and then draw massive amounts and everything should start collapsing. Or maybe create time paradoxes, that would sure do it.
>>
>>56647484
Does that mean I can blame my shortcomings on shitty tickrate?
>>
>>56647535
You're a gentlesir and a scholar. You win the internet.
>>
>>56646638
It actually does the exact opposite if anything.

>>56647514
God is perfect, so god exists because if he wouldn't exist he wouldn't be perfect :^)

>>56647535
So much uninformed bullshit in this post. That's what you get when gamer kiddies think everything is programming and computers.

>>56647613
That article is also uninformed bullshit. While factually true, the interpretation and explanation of the observations is drenched so deeply with sensationalist bullshit that you could almost forget that whatever they explain isn't really bothering anyone for at least a hundred years.
>>
>>56647788
So much factually technically incorrect bullshit in this post I don't even know where to start.

Graphics cards benchmark containment threads are leaking.
>>
>>56647881
ok m8
>>
File: cia_stance.png (164KB, 172x460px) Image search: [Google]
cia_stance.png
164KB, 172x460px
>>56644143
WITH NO SURVIVORS
>>
>>56644143
Is there something like P = NP for this simulation thing? It would be fun to solve this on the weekend.
>>
If the universe is a simulation, why can't it simulate me into a cute girl?
>>
>>56644241
why the heck you want to imagine 4D?
is the 10D the final form?
>>
>>56648657
To demonstrate how far humans are?
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.