[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPL is dead, long live MIT/Apache

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 320x486.jpg (20KB, 320x486px) Image search: [Google]
320x486.jpg
20KB, 320x486px
When will freetards learn that the GPL is cancer, and no sane business wants to take on the liability of a software stack they can't monetize by releasing as closed source? It's the only way to make money in software, "next Redhat" be damned. Normies do not care about freedoms, they care about features and functionality, which can be built faster using open source tools, provided a good investment by the company. In turn, the compamy invests back into OSS to multiply their earning potential and write off investments as charitable deductions. Everyone wins except Stallman and the church of Emacs.

GPL might have been useful at one time to get a stack of software working into the complete GNU/Linux OS, but now it's largely obsolete. Prove me wrong /g/.
>>
>>56638872
>now it's largely obsolete
Things are still licensed GPL.
>>
>>56638872
tell that to sony or apple. they certainly agree and will take everything for free giving jack shit back
>>
>>56638872
>Prove me wrong /g/.
You should prove yourself right. You didn't provide any data or logically connected statements, you just pulled a pile of shit out of your ass.

>no sane business wants to take on the liability of a software stack they can't monetize by releasing as closed source?
They don't have to like it, it's our right.

>It's the only way to make money in software
Requires demonstration

>Normies do not care about freedoms
Because they don't know it. They care about the freedoms they know.

>In turn, the compamy invests back into OSS to multiply their earning potential and write off investments as charitable deductions.

So the company gets people working basically for free and on top of that reduce taxes.

>Everyone wins except Stallman and the church of Emacs.
And everyone that prizes freedom.
>>
>>56638872
Just because you like MIT/Apache over GPL doesn't mean GPL is obsolete. You want GNU/Linux to become like OS X where it's closed source and making money off others works and don't give back?
>>
>>56639106

Because you're forced to use MIT or GPL and not roll your own license. Oh no wait....
>>
>>56638872
2-clause BSD much easier but doing actually same.
>>
>>56638872
>monetize
Buzzword bingo!
>>
File: 1460664028650.jpg (11KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1460664028650.jpg
11KB, 184x184px
>>56638872
the startup i work at releases the core of our product on github. it's our team's main project. i maintain the repo :^) our company is rather successful
>>
>>56639115
>They don't have to like it, it's our right.
spot the mental illness
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.