[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best DE for multihead / multidesktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: multi-monitor-computer.jpg (57KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
multi-monitor-computer.jpg
57KB, 500x296px
Hello, /g/. I'd like to ask from you, who have done a lot of distro / DE surfing, what is the best desktop for multi-head beyond two monitors, with possible funky mirroring / multi seat things thrown into the mix?

Now, I could make a fixed xorg.conf and be done with it, but if it could be helped, I'd rather not.

I currently have two Nvidia Q290 cards and would like to have a projector mirrored with another of my screen. The projector is an old CRT-machine, so the mirrored signal should be interlaced.
>>
Before this I had a multiseat solution, but there was the general finickiness with game pads, mouses and keaboards needing to be in specific USB ports. Everything had to be hard-coded.

I'd rather have a screen mirrored if it can ben done at all.

I'm currently on KDE, it doesn't do more than two screens.
>>
>>56628741
No idea about projectors, but Xfce works nicely for when i run a 2nd monitor off my laptop.

What I'm wondering is what the persom who took that picture is using for monitor mounts. I want that setup.
>>
>>56628780
Seems to be just a shelf and normal, but really high end, free standing monitor legs.
>>
>>56628741
Quality thread, op. Too bad it's too good for /g/. Both KDE and unity perform well with multimonitors. Though you might be better off with a wm and fixed xorg.conf.
>>
>>56628780
>No idea about projectors

It's not raelly about a projector, it's about:

1. Adding a third screen and a second GPU, which is identical, but doesn't do SLI. Current KDE Display tool doesn't handle it at all. "nvidia-settings" can put them in xinerama mode, but that breaks everything.

You have to know that despite the propaganda, current Linux machines have some limitation and general suckiness with multi-GPU unless they do SLI and can be represented as a single logical GPU.

2. Mirroring a screen and specifying that the signal must be 60 Hz and interlaced. (Due bandwidth limitations of the projector.)
>>
>>56628808
>wm and fixed xorg.conf

Well with a fixed xorg.conf it doesn't really matter if it's just a wm or a full desktop, just means that bad/undesirable things happen if one tries to use the DE's display setting tool.
>>
Bumping once for opinions, wouldn't want to clutter my system by installing all the DEs.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.