[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mapmaking software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: map.jpg (2MB, 3599x1826px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
2MB, 3599x1826px
Sup /g/,

I'm part of a research group and our boss wants us to do some fancy mapmaking. His dream scenario would see us working on interactive maps of specific cities not unlike what we see on Google Maps, except we would get to add our own points of interest (mainly historical buildings). The interactive part is that whenever a user highlights such a point, he'd get access to the buildings' info. Not just some summary either, we're talking pages of text, images, maybe videos.

Long term, this map would be hosted on our groups website and available for public use. So bonus points if the software allows for easy online integration.

I did some research but couldn't find anything that would fit the bill perfectly. I'm asking if anyone knows if such a software or something close already exists. Thanks for the help.
>>
maybe look into arcgis, it might have the functionality you're looking for, or it could probably be added. Do you have access to any sort of geographic data already?
>>
>>56607700
We're still in the early stages and trying to figure out if any of this is possible. Right now we're focusing on acquiring the historical data, the tech/map stuff is the next step.

Looking into ArcGIS, seems promising.
>>
>>56607172
ESRI's ArcGIS is pretty much THE goto GIS program with the caveat of it being expensive proprietary software that uses proprietary datafiles which everyone uses because it's THE goto program.
>>
QGIS is a well supported desktop gis that's free and open source.

If you're building a system to be served, though, you might do well with a postgis/postgresql database, or spatialite/sqlite, depending on the size. Those link well to the top-flite mapping packages in Javascript, like leaflet, and can be used with stuff like carto.com or mapbox.com

P.S. ArcGIS is horrible :^)
>>
>>56609609

QGIS is objectively worse than ArcGIS in every way, except it doesn't have extortionate licensing. Like, why in this year do i have to manually implement Djikstra's algorithm? Still, I mostly use QGIS. Anyways ArcGIS is most probably overkill for your needs, if you aren't careful you're going to pay a metric fuckload in licensing fees. You mention Leaflet, that's a pretty good place to start OP. Doesn't sound like you have huge needs, if you want to prototype something then you can get an example up in a few hours.
>>
>>56608503

GDAL bitch. It takes two seconds to ogr2ogr a proprietary arcgis file to something else
>>
>>56609678
That's a super neat straw man you set up there. It'd be a shame if someone responded to it.
>>
>>56609698
where the fuck in that post is he strawmanning
>>
>>56609698

what strawman? here's the thing: all GIS software is shit. garbage, horrible nested menus and intuitive UIs, GIS is the skill of navigating hostile user interfaces. arcgis is the least shit, but it's expensive. qgis can be a pain in the ass to do basic things, and can be bewildering if you aren't into FOSS.
>>
>>56609775

*unintuitive
>>
>>56609772
>>56609775
>FOSS is 2hard4normiez. You have to do everything yourself in scary programming languages or a cli.
That strawman.
http://gis-lab.info/qa/road-graph-eng.html

I worry about people like you two. GIS is not that special, it shouldn't be mystified as anything harder than any other IS. It's just a historically well monetized niche where the conventional desktop clients have a shitty weird technical debts.

> Spatial data processing simply is a branch in computing between many others: and spatial data are too much strategic and pervasive to be confined to niche applications.
>>
>>56607172
OpenLayers v3
>>
>>56607172
You can already add your own points of interest to Google Maps via their API. That's what Pokemon Go does. It uses Google Maps with their own overlay/skin and locations. Same for Ingress.
>>
>>56609990
this
>>
>>56607172
Mapbox has just added a dataset editor that seems cool and easy to use
>>
>>56609874

last i fucked with it, i had to set nodes and link impedance myself. in any case, lol if you can say that coming to qgis as a non-technical person, who may not have experience with foss, isn't bewildering. "why doesn't this shit work"? the need to hunt down an assortment libraries and plugins, perhaps requiring recompilation to deal with data you'll find in a job is a real problem. "it isn't arcgis," and is much less functional than it. it isn't mystical. i recognize qgis is the best gis option i have as a linux user, and that is why i'm bitching about it
>>
>>56609874

also good job pointing me to a russian website. really proving your point about accessibility
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.