[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit-tier CS Graduate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1423212440143.png (69KB, 688x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1423212440143.png
69KB, 688x1040px
Do any other CS graduates ask themselves "wtf did I do the last few years"?

I have good logic programming skills. I can write little scripts that parse CSV files and perform some simple business logic, query a database, etc.

But I have no knowledge of anything outside of these simple tasks. About 90% of the options in the "New Project" in Eclipse are foreign to me. I tried to figure out what an Ant build is, and I have no idea.

What the fuck did I even learn?
>>
I feel ya. I guess you've learned more logic skills than anything else to be an adaptable worker. More than likely, you aren't going to be using half the shit you learned since that's probably too complex for softwaredev, and you'll learn a lot of what you need to know while on the job. You just needed to develop your learning skills and have some core components at your disposal. The meme of the degree is truly making everything seem harder than it actually is in the modern world of programming and CS.
>>
>>56606054
Get CompTia, Cisco, or Oracle certifications if you feel like you didn't learn shit
>>
>>56606054
>Do any other CS graduates ask themselves "wtf did I do the last few years"?
No. I felt that I have learned a lot of shit that I wouldn't have learned otherwise.
>>
>>56606054
>Do any other CS graduates ask themselves "wtf did I do the last few years"?

Makes you wonder how dumb college education is when you can just study the textbooks on your own. It's not just CS graduates, the majority of all graduates and regardless of their major actually lack the knowledge they are supposed to have. It's because didacticism is retarded and autodidacticism is superior. Bunch of educated fools thinking they know more because they sucked professor's dick and had their noses brownnosed deep in all their teacher's asses to get 'good grades' whatever the fuck that's supposed to prove.
>>
>>56606054
install gentoo
>>
>>56606054
Not understanding what is so bad about the OP image.

Would a try-with-resources be better?
>>
File: web-tool-icon.png (95KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
web-tool-icon.png
95KB, 400x250px
>>56606147
I always felt this way.

Never had the energy to really read as much as I wanted to (I worked as an intern since I was a sophomore so I was pretty much always mentally drained).

We had a few classes on software development lifecycle and things like that but all but the simplest examples elude me when it comes to the next level of software development topics.

Like for example, I can make a web page and add some php interactivity and throw it up on a server. But I only know how to do that from my own box.

When I go to my web hosts interface, they have all these stupid icons for different services. Reading about them, it's all about config files and generally uninteresting shit but it is all so baffling.

Pic related but I have seen much stupider icons I will try to find (such as the Hadoop icon and it's fellows..)
>>
>>56606245
OP here.

Chose that picture because apparently there is something wrong with it, but I literally have very similar code for a database connection shell.
>>
You get a paper that says you know what jobs want you to know. That's it. It doesn't mean you actually learned them in an applicable way. I sure as hell didn't learn how to actually set up a useful database in my database classes due to shit professors, but my classes say I can do that. It's a joke.
>>
>>56606054
>About 90% of the options in the "New Project" in Eclipse are foreign to me. I tried to figure out what an Ant build is, and I have no idea.

You got through four to eight years of college and can't figure out how to search up shit like this?
>>
>>56606270
yeah when working with data access, it gets messy in Java. you have to catch all these exceptions and make sure you close resources and shit.

try-with-resources is a lot cleaner.
>>
>>56606286
No need for the aggression, friendo.

I can search it and get a basic understanding of it, but don't understand how or why I would apply it. Maybe it is because my personal projects aren't the scale that these services are made for.
>>
>>56606270
I think its because the catch blocks are left empty. This shows that the developer knows an exception occurs, but doesn't know how to respond to it so they are just leaving it empty to stop the problem.
>>
>>56606054
>What the fuck did I even learn?
Let me explain to you what actually happened: you missed the entire point of college.

You wrote scripts, passed tests, skipped classes, and zoned out. Did you learn ANYTHING on your own time that actually interested you with all the other bullshit your college/university offers? Did you actually interact with people? Take an internship? Go to a hackathon? Hell, join a fucking club? A degree in anything, not just STEM, is only a meme if you do nothing but autopilot your way through. Why do you think people who actually major in ass-backwards shit like """Gender Studies""" are, at best, working at Starbucks? One of the most important skills that going to college/university is supposed to reinforce is your ability to work on your own: every class you took was merely a framework for your understanding and every professor you had was an invaluable trove of knowledge (yes, you're supposed to talk to them about major-related things (sometimes even things that aren't related to your major) that don't relate to your class at all and get advice and feedback from them).

A degree is SUPPOSED TO be proof, among other things, that a company can safely hire you because you have a guarantee that you actually give a shit about being responsible. When you land a job, you'll do a lot of your learning on-site. Depending on what job you get, what they expect from you, and the experience of the team (if there is one), you'll most likely have someone who will show you the ropes. Worst case, you work as "the computer guy" for some mid-size company that outsources their IT infrastructure to a company across the hall developing small programs so you can see what you've learned actually work for you and continue learning on the job (speaking from experience).
>>
>>56606245
probably referring to the lack of actual exception handling. idk though.
>>
>>56606054
Did your school not require an internship or something? You should be able to program at least something blackout drunk tbqh
>>
>>56606854
I did jobs that weren't actual software development.
>>
>>56606433
On top of that its just catching "Exception"
>>
>>56606556
This is good advise, very rare to see people like this on /g/ lately.
>>
>>56606556
I get this feeling you're trying to impart some sort of lesson on the OP but it comes off really angry and condescending. It makes me think "if he has good advice, why is he so upset about something that literally has no effect on him".
>>
>>56606054
When I first started programming I felt the same way you feel right now after I finished tutorials. Yeah I finished the tutorial, yeah my program did what the tutorial showed, but I felt like there was so much more that I should or could be doing.

It is time, it always has been time, for you to start learning things on your own. Set up your own server that performs "X" function. Create your own programs. Start coding in a language that you weren't taught in school. Figure out some type of project that you want to do. Make it a point that you will learn something new everyday and do not stick to the same subject. Knowledge in one area often builds on knowledge in another area.

If you do this you will start to feel like you know something.
>>
>>56606054
You never programmed something on your own? Really, the only thing that university is good for is networking. And gaining debt. If you actually want to learn something, you have to do it yourself.
>>
University doesn't teach you anything actually useful. It's all just an academic circlejerk. It's really only useful for getting thst piece ofbpaper that makes your resume not immediately thrown in the trash
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.