[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To what extent is audiophile shit objectively correct? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: audiophile.jpg (284KB, 1000x1235px) Image search: [Google]
audiophile.jpg
284KB, 1000x1235px
To what extent is audiophile shit objectively correct? I know for things like picture quality, there are objective measurements -- pixel count, video resolution, etc -- but is there any such measurement for audio quality?

Something like, I don't know, how specific you can get? I know pitch is determined by the frequency of the sound, but is there anything to the effect of refresh rate?

At what point does it stop really mattering?
>>
>>56606037
depends on your audio setup. for most headphones, past 24bit 48khz with a good dac is overkill, but there are very high end headphones that can reproduce the sound making it useful.

make no mistake however, an audio setup after around ~$5000 hits a point of diminishing returns.
>>
>>56606074
Okay. I got a pair of $50 Bluetooth headphones and they were... decent. I could hear issues with them to a degree but I could still enjoy music/movies/etc.

If I go on Amazon or whatever, the price caps out at like $400.

I guess I'm asking if there's some kind of objective measurement I can refer to to determine the quality of the sound, as opposed to trawling through hundreds of subjective reviews on some seller's website.

I ask about an analogy to refresh rate because, well, how often the frequency changes would be the other dimension to this, right? What the range is vs how many times the frequency can change (and therefore how specific the sound file can be)
>>
File: ath-m40x.png (41KB, 687x419px) Image search: [Google]
ath-m40x.png
41KB, 687x419px
>>56606109
You can always look at the frequency response. Pic related is a graph of frequency response of different headphones.

This is only a measure of the speaker's flat delivery of the sound (or lack therof)
>>
>>56606109
Impedance is another spec you can use to compare between headphones. It also depends what you're using them for.
>>
>>56606228
>>56606439
These two are the objective way of doing things, but they don't answer the question of what you want from your music. You may want a more neutral headphone or a "warmer" one
>>
>>56606832
>neutral
>"warm"

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>56606037
>but is there any such measurement for audio quality?

Yes, frequency response and distortion.

Similar to picture quality, sound quality is judged by accuracy with the goal to be a flat frequency response and low distortion.

Again, like picture quality, some plebs tend to prefer saturated colors, this is similar with headphones/speakers that boost the bass, intentional coloration to make it sound more pleasing to some (with lower accuracy).

Another thing, you can buy an affordable headphone and EQ it to a decent frequency response.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.