[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

x86 assembly in linux vs windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: ass.png (71KB, 573x310px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
71KB, 573x310px
I have a course coming up in x86 assembly and the course is set up to use MS VS. I've never done assembly programming before and I'm wondering if I could instead work in linux. I have a dual boot set up, but would rather work in maximum comfort than booting into windows for long periods of time.

What does /g/ know about coding assembly? I'm sure it can be done in linux, but knowing that the course is set up to use VS, will what I write in a linux environment be transferable? Are there fundamental oddities unique to the assembler that MS VS uses (or at least different from linux assemblers) that will give me headaches?
>>
For assembly, for the sake of the class, you need to write it in whatever is being taught, in this case visual studio.
>>
>>56602451
ah, balls. I was hoping it would be similar to other languages, where it doesn't matter where you wrote it, as long as you're not using any OS specific code
>>
you'll confuse yourself; unix/att uses different syntax than intel assembly.
>>
Shit, alright. I actually have to install VS. I was hoping to never have to do that again.
>>
drop out, you're clearly too good for college
>>
>>56602660
retard

>>56602584
Why not actually ask your prof?
>>
lmao at my university linux is mandatory and we code assembly in a MIPS spin off.
>>
>>56602730
Linux is mandatory here as well. As a general rule of thumb, for anything C/C++, if it doesn't compile in gcc, it's an automatic zero. I was actually really surprised to see VS as a requirement in this class.
>>
>>56602387
If your professor is willing to teach you the system call equivalents in Linux then you can do it. If not you will get confused because different OS kernels use different system calls.
>>
>>56602771
MS is bribing teachers.
>>
>>56602493
Real languages are OS specific.
>>
I don't see why they would teach assembly for windows. Last time I checked you can't even do system calls. It'd make a lot more sense to me to even learn a simulated language (e.g. MIPS) rather than assembly on windows. Although it'd be rad if they taught ARM and let you load code onto a real microcontroller, but maybe they don't want to teach RISC?
I have friends in Computer Systems classes in two different colleges and neither of them are learning x86 on VS, that sounds pretty retarded.
>>
>>56602806
I mean, if that's the case here, they're not spending their money wisely. I take assembly to be more of a theory class. I doubt I'm going to be doing a whole lot of assembly programming later on, so why bother indoctrinating us in MS Assembly? I feel like it'd be more in their favor to poison a class with .NET or MS SQL, neither of which are taught technologies in this program. I believe databases use mysql and may touch on nosql with mongo.
>>
>>56602387
aren't all the system calls different between windows and linux

stick with what they're giving you, it's not worth the pain
>>
>>56602848
What qualifies a language as "real" to you?
>>
OP, You will have to use what your lab uses for assignments. But if you want to learn assembly/OS shit then I'd suggest Douglas Comers book OS design the Xinu approach. Xinu is a unix-like OS that works on intel galileo boards (x86 processors).

We used this in our OS labs and it was a great setup. Here is how you set up a lab at home:
http://www.xinu.cs.purdue.edu/
>>
>>56602387
VS is fine and preferable for more advanced use anyways. MASM on windows is more of the base entry level version.
No, it won't swap nicely between the two, while the machine level stuff will be mostly the same, if you store a result in a register you can't get that out without your assembly interacting with the OS, and due to some minor differences you'll need to assemble it new on a different OS as well anyways.
If you're writing assembly for some sort of SBC that uses an x86 processor then it becomes moot until you try to get an OS on it, since the assembled machine language will be all the raw hardware understands, and your IDE will interface with it in various ways that let you get data back.
>>
>>56603002
ask Mel
>>
>>56603002
A language that is OS specific, that one might use in order to accomplish great feats of Engineering.
>>
>>56603180
Why would you consider OS specificity an advantage rather than a limitation?
>>
>>56603288
Because he's on a mac
>>
>>56603152
>Mel
forgot about this lord, ty anon
>>
Even if you were using the same assembly syntax on Linux vs Windows (i.e. using GAS or NASM on both platforms), both platforms use different register calling conventions, and different methods of calling system functions (Linux uses syscalls, Windows calls into functions in Kernel32.DLL, because the syscalls are undocumented). You NEED a Windows environment if the assignments are going to be based around Windows.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.