[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it. Is it Linux or is it GNU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: guix.png (4KB, 175x62px) Image search: [Google]
guix.png
4KB, 175x62px
I don't get it. Is it Linux or is it GNU?
>>
>>56584284
It's AIDS
>>
File: gitgud.png (175KB, 621x403px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
175KB, 621x403px
>>56584284
0/8
>>
File: 4572.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4572.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>56584284
Linux is the Kernel
GNU is a set of tools.

It's basically neither of them separated or together.

You don't call Windows or OSX by it's kernel name do you?
>>
>>56584284
Linux.
>>
It's a distribution of GNU/Linux. It's supported by the GNU project because it's fully free.
>>
File: 1367929171452.gif (2MB, 280x158px) Image search: [Google]
1367929171452.gif
2MB, 280x158px
>>56584284
It's the future.
It's not a normal distribution, it's like a meta distribution.
The approach feels so radically different from anything else I've tried.
Though it's obviously vastly superior in every way, I'm having trouble getting used to the new way of thinking about how to interact with my OS.
Installation is so slick and cool though.
You want to change some key underlying aspect of your OS to something different? you just declare what you want in scheme, run a reconfiguration command, and it spits you in to a new system that is exactly what you declared. And don't worry, all your previous OSs are saved to GRUB, so if something goes terribly wrong, you can just reboot and roll back to whenever it worked.
They've done what they're doing so perfectly it has the potential to take over the entire market.
Mark my words, in 8 years, GuixSD will be bigger than the Debian branch.
It's absolutely wonderful and I feel privileged to be part of the genesis of this next phase with you people - None of us deserve the grand improvement in quality of life this is about to bring.
GuixSD is the bright beautiful future of free software and the GNU operating system.
>>
>>56584931
NixOS is good also if you havent already tried it
>>
>>56584383
filtered
>>
>>56584931
It does sound pretty neato, I wonder when Stallman will bless it and declare it the official distro of freedom.
>>
>>56585779
triggered*
>>
>>56585759
Some of the main Guix guys started at Nix apparently.
Utilizing what they had learned, they took everything good about it and found ways to improve it further. The use of Scheme everywhere being the clearest and best example.
We're very thankful for Nix for laying this groundwork.

>>56586009
It's already FSF endorsed.
They're wobsite is even hosted under the gnu.org domain.
>>
this sounds sorta interesting, bump
>>
File: 1369702092141.jpg (26KB, 450x256px) Image search: [Google]
1369702092141.jpg
26KB, 450x256px
>>56586544
You can install it yourself right now!
Either in a VM or on your physical machine.
Their tutorials are very explicit and helpful. (Note that there is much more useful information further in the manual, as opposed to just the installation guide.)
If any bugs or problems are encountered, help by filing reports.
And don't be afraid to seek help or answers in their room on freenode.
>>
>>56586728
when do you think they will release a stable version?
>>
>>56584383
>You don't call Windows or OSX by it's kernel name do you?
They aren't monolithic so the kernel is quite insignificant in those. That's why you wouldn't do it.
>>
>>56586883
Uhhhm..... It already is...
>>
>>56586949
on the page the download button says TEST beta
>>
>>56587082
Which distro are you talking about? Also, there always is a stable version
>>
>>56587126
Guixsd
>>
>>56586883
It's really perfectly usable stability wise.
I think they're doing what Debain used to and just playing it super cautious, not wanting to give anyone the wrong idea.
Any complex software that's not yet at least a few years old should be considered beta.
Furthermore, I'm not sure the concept even applies in the same way to something like GuixSD, a meta distribution.
The packages they're offering are going to be as stable, as any other distro offering the same versions.
You are of course welcome (and encouraged) to roll your own of whatever version you wish, and I believe the Guix package manager makes this fairly straightforward and painless.
Guix itself is solid, which is what makes all this possible.

You have to understand, what has happened here is something really cool. If as the power from Unix comes from everything being a file, or in Emacs everything being a buffer of symbols, the power of Guix comes in treating everything as packages. Embedding this in Lisp serves just to make it humane and friendly, easy and manageable. They built a package manager so correctly, that with little effort it just became the core of the OS. It was like, why don't we just have this deal with everything, the obvious next and necessary step.
It's really quite wonderful.
>>
It's Ganoo plus Linux-libre
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.