[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual boot - Windows + Ubuntu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (6KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
6KB, 300x212px
I'm formatting my pc, and I would like to install and try Ubuntu along with Windows 8.1, the OS that I had before.
Question: could my files be shared between the two? I have a lot of stuff on my external drives, and I would need to copy most of those on the internal one. I don't need to have two copies, right?
>>
>>56580223
>Question: could my files be shared between the two?
Yes, file sharing is very easy actually.
>>
>>56580223
no
>>
>>56580223
yes
>>
>>56580223
Maybe
>>
>>56580223
I don't know
>>
>>56580223
You'll need install drivers to be able to access NTFS from Ubuntu (but they may come preinstalled). You'll also want an ext4 driver for Windows in case you save something in Ubuntu that you want to access in windows.
I guess you could use only NTFS, even for installing Ubuntu, but that would be heretic
>>
>>56580676
>I guess you could use only NTFS, even for installing Ubuntu, but that would be heretic

DISGUSTING
>>
>>56580680
I wouldn't do it either, I was just saying.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 293x172px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 293x172px
>>56580676
Ignoring the heresy issue, would that be a problem in any other way for Ubuntu or Windows? I'm really interested.
I will say that the best option for me would be the ability to open the same files/folders with any OS like they were made with it.
>>
>>56580223
Just remember to install rEFInd for the startup menu if you are going to use EFI partitions

it looks great desu senpai
>>
I am dual booter. tried the new MATE beta 16.10 and it didnt work so well. all is fine grub wise. but I got a lot of ubuntu errors and then the panel vanished. I am guessing I should have gone with LTS version eh? or just xubuntu. MATE is tough for me do to the menu crap. Can you get rid of it
>>
Oh and to answer question OP

yes

But Windows wont recogonize your linux filesystem so keep all your shit on windows
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.