[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

short circuit on power supply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 20160913_123814-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_123814-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
Fixed up an old computer yesterday, formatted put windows on etc and all worked well. Turned it on today and heard a loud poof with a flash coming off it. It mustve short circuited and now the power supply smells fried. Anything I can do? or just disassemble everything and throw power supply out. Risks involved if I decide to keep using it?
>>
>>56579672
PSU is toast 100%, it's irreparable chink shit. More worried that it may have taken something with it, like the motherboard.
>>
cheap shitty PSUs tend to do that

>>56579775
basically this
>>
>>56579672
I always assumed computer power supplies had fuses inside the box. You can try replacing it, but I would be surprised if it didn't fry the entire computer.
>>
>>56579775
Actually the model in the M5630 is a LiteON 300W
It's a fairly reliable one as long as you don't pull over it's rated 270W at 50C and 300W at 25C.

>>56579672
Replace PSU, don't be stupid.
>>
File: j5_and_toronto.jpg (75KB, 552x768px) Image search: [Google]
j5_and_toronto.jpg
75KB, 552x768px
>buying chinkshit or stock prebuild PSU
>>
Yeah it's toasted. This thing is 7yo though and all parts are way outdated so I figured I fuck around with it some more, always fun. Still smells but surprisingly it's turning on again after checking everything
Fun times people
>>
>Acer

In the trash it goes. Acer is an enemy of /g/.
>>
>>56579851
It turned on with same PSU? Might be a giant shitty cap exploded. Wouldn't be recommended to keep using it
>>
File: image.jpg (333KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333KB, 1600x1200px
>>56579672
You should probably throw that out before your house catches on fire
>>
>>56580385
But /g/ is a board of peace!
>>
>>56579821
>assumed

Never fucking do that.
>>
Can't wait until this happens with my no name Chieftec PSU which I bought when I had no idea why I should get a better one.
Could get a more expensive one right now of course but...
>>
>>56579821
They usually do but PSUs aren't meant to be serviced by us plebs. Any fuse that's in there is probably soldered in place and can't be easily changed. I wouldn't recommend taking a PSU apart because of the potentially hazardous voltages, any fuse would probably located around the hazardous voltages.
>>
>>56579672
Trash it

DO NOT OPEN THE PSU OR TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE IT

YOU COULD DIE
>>
>>56582157
You probably wont die but you could still be injured. The caps don't store a lot, they only really have enough to punch you hard once but that hard punch might cause nerve damage and/or burn your skin, it could also cause you to piss yourself. You're unlikely to die unless its connected across your heart somehow.
>>
>>56581813
>I wouldn't recommend taking a PSU apart because of the potentially hazardous voltages, any fuse would probably located around the hazardous voltages.
If you don't have a piece of garbage designed by back alley Chinese sweatshops then it should be safe. The real issue is retards might try to repair it while it's plugged in.
>>
>>56582290
the real problem might be some charged capacitor
nobody is stupid enough to keep something plugged in
>>
>>56582354
>the real problem might be some charged capacitor
Which, like I said, isn't going to be a problem if you don't have some piece of garbage designed by back alley Chinese sweatshops. They'll have a bleeder resistor for all the big caps that will discharge them. Yes, there are people stupid enough to keep it plugged in which is why you warn people not to attempt service.
>>
>>56582354
The danger of charged caps is a bit overstated but I still wouldn't recommend anyone try and service a PSU.

If you're buying a chinese special(you shouldn't be) you're better off throwing the thing away to save yourself any potential trouble. If you buy a reputable brand there's probably a return policy.

The only reason you'd try servicing one is if you bought a cheap-ass one and you *shouldn't* buying one of those in the first place.
>>
Best case scenario, you save 30 bucks not getting a new one
Worse case, you die in a house fire
>>
>>56582354
Usually the caps have a discharge circuitry.
>>
>>56582465
>I still wouldn't recommend anyone try and service a PSU.
No one cares about your recommendations, pussy boy.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.