[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does actually anybody use vim? i'm trying to get used to.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 10

File: 0-JFOhxcRK-0-jerns7ad-vim-s.png (23KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
0-JFOhxcRK-0-jerns7ad-vim-s.png
23KB, 283x283px
does actually anybody use vim?

i'm trying to get used to.
>>
its the best the best
>>
I do.

If you really want to get used to it, have some tips :

1) Use it often
2) Stay away from flame war post (vim vs emacs)
3) Don't give up before 6month-1year of using it
>>
No, I use vi.
>>
Are you a touch typist?

If so then you're all good as it's designed to be used without taking your hands off the keyboard.

If you can't touch type proficiently then don't even bother.
>>
>>56576692
Yes, and people use its bindings everywhere too. For example, things like Vimium (The browser extension) are pretty sweet and surprisingly non-intrusive.

Other editors have Vim binding packages too, like Emacs' Evil, Eclipse's Vrapper, Sublime's Vintageous, or Atom's vim-mode.

That said, be warned that VimL is horrible.
>>
>>56577955
>If you can't touch type proficiently then don't even bother.
Um, no?
>>
>>56576692
I use Vimium for Chrome and vim-mode-plus for Atom.

Not having to touch the mouse is a wonderful thing, as is concise function composition based UX.

Beyond that I diverge in design preferences with Vim and prefer things like modern plugin support and more powerful graphics.

I recommend watching videos of different editors in the hands of their respective experts, then trying any that interest you for yourself and see where it leads you.
>>
>>56577746
here's a question, if I want to use vim as an ide, is it as good as emacs?
>>
>>56576692
>does actually anybody use vim?
yes, and so do most people i work with.
>>
>>56576692
I started using it 2 months ago an so far so good
>>
>>56577746
Don't be scared by this Anon, OP. It takes way less than 6 months to learn vim. And once you get used to it, start looking for good plugins. VimSurround, YCM, NerdCommenter...
>>
>>56578058
>Vimium for Chrome
If you like the vim keybindings everywhere (as I do) let me shill qutebrowser, Anon.
>>
File: THE BEST.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
THE BEST.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>56576759
THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
>>
>>56578147
> It takes way less than 6 months to learn vim.
nope. it doesn't ... it takes much less than 6 months to learn how to use vim, but actually learning vim ( vimscript, etc) takes longer
>>
>>56578169
What makes it better than using a plugin for a normie browser?
>>
yes, lots of people use vim

there are tons of tutorials and guides and stuff, OP. telling us you don't get it is like walking up to a stranger and asking for travel advice. this is retarded. ask a more specific question or languish in turmoil more quietly.
>>
>>56578062
No, but Neovim comes closer than normal Vim.
>>
vimtutor every day until it's second nature, use vim for everything you can, and install pentadactyl or another browser add-on that uses vim keystrokes. The more things you use that work like it, the easier it becomes
>>
>>56578147
>YCM
YCM is a clusterfuck, and it's one of the two vim plugins that people in the vim channel won't help you with when (yes, when) you run into problems since so many issues are caused by just this plugin.

Luckily with vim 8 being released we're probably going to see some new completion plugins that use the async i/o.
>>
>>56578062
In my opinion yes, but it's not vim that's doing the work. Basically your whole unix-like system is an IDE and vim's job is to make editing text pleasant. Vim fits a little more nicely into that "do one job well" mentality and you can easily combine other tools with vim's registers to make it into a nice IDE. The new async support is making that a lot nicer too.

That said, I vastly prefer hacking in elisp so if you're the sort who likes to write scripts and plug-ins for your editor maybe emacs is better.
>>
>>56578169
Only thing I ever "funded" on indiegogo
>>56578205
In short, it's faster, more lightweight and more hackable (the good kind, not the bad kind)
>>
>>56578284
>>56578169
Is it basically a more actively developed uzbl/luakit style thing?
>>
No, emacs is much better.
>>
>>56578243
That's not really IDE support though. There is a lot that simply can't be done with Vim right now if you want to use it as full environment, and it takes a lot of effort to get part of the way there.

For example, Emacs has CIDER, which is basically unparalleled by anything that Vim has ever had in ways that Unix tooling would really struggle to fill.

Vim's new async might change this, but for now, Vim does not really make a good IDE. What it makes, is a good editor.
>>
>>56578298
Why not both?
>>
>>56578293
That's a good comparison, yes. It's based on qtwebkit though, so it is probably going to have quite good compatibility with chrome.
>>
should i use neovim or vim (or even vi)? whats the difference?
>>
>>56579148
Few people actually use vi. Vim in compatibility mode is often used as the vi editor to make the system posix compliant. Vim is by far the most popular vi like editor, it has the largest user base, the largest number of plugins and support on the most platforms. Neovim has a few advantages, one of the most notable being async i/o, which is actually included in vim 8.

I would suggest that you start with vim (or maybe even gvim/macvim), and in a few months when you've gotten used to it, check out neovim and see if it's for you.
>>
>>56578062
No, use spacemacs
>>
>people saying it takes 6 months
>I learnt in a single day
>only need it to open, edit, save and quit because I'm a scrub
>'o' to edit
>'ESC' to leave edit mode
>':sav (filename)'
>':q' to quit
>fuck all other functionality
>>
>>56576692
Real mans use spacemacs. Best of both worlds
>>
>>56579317
I use vim from I don't remember when more than 10 years ago maybe 15. Then this year I wanted to try emacs, and I'm glad i did.

I still don't know much evil-mode and spacemacs but looks very interesting.
>>
>>56578191
In the way C takes, let's say 25 years to learn, sure.
>>
>>56576759
>>56578177
these

>>56579317
also good, but im too lazy to switch
>>
>>56579148
neovim doesn't have retarded ugandan nagware so there's that
>>
>>56579283
A lot of the other powerful keybinds come in handy when you're working with massive files, though.
>>
>>56576692

>I'm trying to get used to.

The one thing you have to understand is that in Vim you are not IN the text but rather have the aerial view.

You can go into writing text, but avoid it wheneven it's possible. So whenever you are dublicating code, deleting code, replacing code or even raise a counter you can do it from the aerial view perspective..

Just get the basics (do the "Vimtutor" every two days until you are fluent with the commands).

Then you can look into macros. Here's a small example:

1. Open Vim

2. Insert the following (press [Enter] after each line):
i1 [Esc]
qq
yy
[Ctrl]+a (both at the same time)
q
98@q

3. Profit

"q[letter]" records a macro and stores it at "[letter]".
press "q" to stop recording.
press "@[letter]" to execute the macro.
press "[number]@[letter]" to execute the macro [number] times.

Lesson:
Write FizzBuzz in Vim?

>>56578062

>here's a question, if I want to use vim as an ide, is it as good as emacs?

Vim is not really an Ide.

You can however excecute shell comands, so if you work in a programm "test.py" you can just type the following:
:! python test.py

And the current version of your file will run.

Also you have a lot of small Vim plugins to make life easier for you.
>>
>>56579832

Sorry, i fogot to insert the text after copying...

Here's the right version:
i1 [Esc]
qq
yy
p
[Ctrl]+a (both at the same time)
q
98@q
>>
I type between six to twenty hours days. My only contributions to this world have been pieces of text. Notes, source code, plans, and so on.

For any endeavor, there is a curve of "Time Spent Doing Performance" against "Time Spent Optimizing Performance'.

Vim's TSDP generally decreases as your own TSOP increases; the more time you spend leaning shortcuts and how to use vim proficiently, the faster you will be able to edit documents (and otherwise use vim).

I have made the personal judgement that, with what and how I type and edit, Vim is the most powerful/proficient/usable tool, FOR ME.

Yes, I very much use vim (even to write the simplest "Hello world"), and couldn't hardly get much done quickly without it.
>>
>>56576692
No. Real programmers use ed. Because ed is the standard editor. When you want to EDit the file, you probably want an EDitor, no emacsitor, or vimitor. T's not even a words!
It's user friendly, no bloat, no bleep sounds, no annoying "help" or pointless "beginner's guide", nothing you really don't need when EDiting files. Best of the best 10/10.
>>
>>56579919
>I type between six to twenty hours days
Fucking lol
>>
>>56579283

>:sav 'filename'

nigga just use :wq 'filename'
>>
>>56579714
>retarded ugandan nagware
wat
>>
File: 1451138157483.png (263KB, 454x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451138157483.png
263KB, 454x600px
can I use gcc inside vim?
>>
>>56580408
u can invoke $CC in ur vim, cant u?
>>
>>56580408
:!gcc ${CFLAGS} faggot.c -o faggot
>>
Guise

Vim or NeoVim?
>>
>>56579283
>'o' to edit
Well usually it's 'i' to enter insert mode, 'o' inserts a new line.
Also useful is 'A' enters insert mode and moves the cursor to the end of the current line.
>>
>>56580577
Vim
>>
i'd say vim is worth learning, it really doesn't take that long to become decent enough at it that your productivity is the same or a bit better than other editors

>mfw i discovered visual selection search and replace
>>
>>56579410
This seems to be a pretty common trend.
>>
>>56580577
Neovim. Cleaner architecture.
>>
>>56580708
Visual insertion is pretty sick too.
>>
>>56579283
(num lines) c p
/Regex

Invaluable
>>
>>56578298

I pray for your death....and emacs' death.
>>
File: 1471963195001.png (90KB, 183x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471963195001.png
90KB, 183x200px
newb here. i use visual studio for c++ and c#. what does vim and emacs offer that vs doesnt?
>>
File: 3_types.jpg (29KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
3_types.jpg
29KB, 600x338px
>>56576692
>>
>>56581728

They have differnt purposes..

Vim is an powerfull text editor, Vim is an IDE and Emacs is somewhere inbetween.

You can get very fast with Vim, but it's hard to describe if someone hasn't tried it. For example you jump through the whole text very fast, make complex copy/paste edits with tiny shortcuts, record macros, execture shell comands..

Well, others have explained it better than I possibly can.

Read some of the answers here:

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1218390/what-is-your-most-productive-shortcut-with-vim/1220118
>>
>>56581728
fast load times
can be used is ssh
fast cursor movement without taking your hands off the keyboard
useful features to reduce repetitive typing
I'm sure I forgot a whole lot.
>>
It took me about an hour playing around in/going through vimtutor to learn to use it well enough for it to be better than nano or kate(though I guess kate does have a vi mode) for some things. And not really worse at all for any others.
Mind, I dont program, so the conveniences it offers me are honestly pretty minor. But it is nice to be able to just use cw to change 'anon' to '[my username]' in some script, and other little things like that.
Also I can insert long lines of #'s to seperate sections of something very quickly which is neat.
>>
>>56577983
You should still learn how to type correctly. But I am warning you. It will make your life harder, though it will also make it easier in some aspects.
>>
>>56581895
Oh definitely. But you don't need to be good at touch-typing in order to get something out of Vim.
>>
File: Mametchi_bowing.png (41KB, 183x207px) Image search: [Google]
Mametchi_bowing.png
41KB, 183x207px
>>56581728
Since the difference with Vim has already been answered, I'll fill in for Emacs.

It has a fair portion of arsenal-tier features that Visual Studio can't do, like:
>Writable Dired, which lets you edit files en-masse by treating the directory listing like a text file
>Org Mode, which has literate programming capabilities built in that let you basically have REPL for languages that don't support it
>...oh, and Org Mode lets you interop any languages it supports together, so you can run C code, and parse the results in Clojure or something
>TRAMP lets you treat files across any number of hops over SSH, Docker, user switches, and other things, as if you had direct write-access

You can also customize anything you like with very little effort if you know Elisp. This is why it was possible to implement an almost-verbatim Vim clone in it with nearly zero overhead.

Also, if you get stuck, there are often four levels of documentation for any given feature, and the root source you can look at and play with.
>>
I just use nano
>>
>>56582086

Emacs is pretty cool and I also like Lisp/Scheme.

It's just that I didn't like the [Ctrl]-[Metal]-combinations and I would probably miss my beloved Vim tricks. But someday I'll get into spacemacs and add the additional tools of Emacs.

Vim + Emacs are both incredibly good.
>>
>>56582235
>I also like Lisp/Scheme.
This is why I thought Eshell was neat.

It's kinda like a Bash-ish shell, except you can type Elisp into it. So you can do something like "touch (+ 2 2)". It also works with TRAMP, so you can do things like "cd /host|docker:thing:/" to "cd" into a Docker container on a remote host.

It's not ANSI though, so you can't run curses things in it, you would need M-x ansi-term for that.
>>
>>56576692

Some advice I wish I had been given when I started :

1) Vim key bindings are set up for the qwerty keyboard layout. Use it, US Intl if you need accented chars
2) Use the example vimrc provided by Bram Molenaar as a base (in my distro, it can be found in /usr/share/vim/vim74/vimrc.example)
3) Only use commands in your vimrc that you understand
4) Use a plugin manager (I use vundle, but there are others) : Some plugins really kick ass !
5) You may use commands typed in myScript.vim file by using :source myScript.vim (shortcut :so)
6) Use :vsplit as needed.
7) Use :Sex and :Sex! to browse files in a sexy way.
>>
>>56579850
>press "[number]@[letter]" to execute the macro [number] times.

pressing any [number] doesn't work for me, it will still only execute the macro once
>>
Behold the power of vim.
http://hackaday.com/2016/08/08/editor-wars-the-revenge-of-vim/
>>
>>56582703
While the features in here are sweet, it's pretty obvious from the first bit that this person doesn't know how to Emacs.

The learning curve for Vim is steep, but it is easier after you have the initial bindings downpat and are comfortable with text objects. Emacs on the other hand, has a lower point of entry, but the difficulty slope doesn't end for a looooong time.
>>
>>56578233
I see this a lot, but kinda 'grew up' with ycm.
What is the 'proper' alternative? Because if it sucks in usability I can live with YCM's drawbacks
>>
Emacs is the path to salvation.
>>
>>56582086
>You can also customize anything you like with very little effort if you know Elisp.
Here is a little bit of customization with some Emacs wizardry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNa3axo40qM

The end in particular is basically great.
>>
>>56582895
Would also like to know this.

The only problem I ever had was with omnicpp, hence I switched to ycm.
>>
>>56576692
If you use vimtutor once a day for a few days, it should be usable. From that point, I'd recommend watching Derek Wyatt's video tutorials to learn really useful stuff. And check out vimcasts.org and the book Practical Vim (both by the same author) for tons of very useful tips for both beginners and advanced users alike.

If you run into any issues or have questions, direct them to the /r/vim subreddit and people will almost definitely help you out.

links:
https://derekwyatt.org/vim/tutorials/
https://vimcasts.org/
https://pragprog.com/book/dnvim/practical-vim
https://reddit.com/r/vim
>>
These days I'm doing a lot of work SSHing into a server, so vim is pretty much a necessity.

Also great for laptops. I hate using shitty trackpads highlight text
>>
>>56582990
>I'm doing a lot of work SSHing into a server
Have you tried SSHFS?
It might make your life a little easier if you are commonly needing to do things with remote servers.
>>
File: VIM.png (131KB, 980x559px) Image search: [Google]
VIM.png
131KB, 980x559px
>>56576692
Here Op: http://it-ebooks.info/book/4528/
>>
File: Mametchi_sad.png (13KB, 183x242px) Image search: [Google]
Mametchi_sad.png
13KB, 183x242px
>>56583522
>Those colors
>>
>>56583612
aesthetic as FUCK
>>
>>56582972
tyty
>>
>>56583747
To expand on that, practice text objects..!

Here are a few things you can mix and match:

c = Change
v = Select
d = Cut

i=in
a=out

b=parenthesis
B=Brackets
"=quotes
T=HTML tag

So, something like "cib" will let you change everything inside a set of parenthesis. Try it out.
>>
>>56578062
I use vim+byobu+unix tools as an IDE
>>
>>56580408
>>56580458
>>56580504
:make faggot

then use the quickfix to view the errors
:copen
>>
>>56576692

Using spacemacs

spacemacs is a bitch to get used to, and it feels really broken sometimes, but I still ended up favoring it after using it beside vim for a while.
>>
File: Cider.png (22KB, 673x193px) Image search: [Google]
Cider.png
22KB, 673x193px
>>56578316
>For example, Emacs has CIDER
It is pretty boss, and it takes nothing to set up either.
It also plays really nicely with Org Mode.
>>
>>56579919

Time spent optimizing performance is a good metric, but if you spend 2 hours figuring out how to save 2 minutes on something you do twice a week may still end up saving you time much quicker since it lessens the chance of mentally derailing.

Optimizing makes sense
>>
>>56583522
why did you choose "two shades of diarrhea" as your theme
>>
>>56584597
aesthetic as FUCK
>>
>>56584597

goes with the uganda theme
>>
>>56583612
You don't like coding in literally shitty colors?
>>
>>56583193
Isnt it slow as fuck though. I tried everything to do something like this but synchronizing lots of small files over sah is too slow. Can only so it with some version control.
>>
On windows with vim you can use the mouse, and ctrl c ctrl v shortcut.

But on linux i can't why ? When i have a split window i can't adjust the size of it by dragging my mouse. And ctrl-c ctrl-v are bound to other things ?

How can i make it so i can use those on linux?

It's really convenient in windows because i can copy/cut/paste text i highlighted with my mouse or the shift-up whether i'm in insert or cmd mode
>>
>>56584216
What's that predictive list?
>>
>>56585888
Gocode
>>
>>56585699
No. I use it on a daily basis for work.
I have all my code locally on my laptop, and the folder is a read-only SSHFS mountpoint for my server.

So basically, it starts working when my laptop is on the network, and stops when I remove it, and in practice, it is quite fast.
>>
>>56584216
What does byobu do? From the little bit of reading I just did, it sounds redundant with xmonad.
>>
>>56585718
gvim
>>
Newb coming from Sublime text 2, Imma try dat vim soon ayy
>>
>>56586123
Its a terminal multiplexer
>>
>>56584216
That literally looks like the old borland IDE's for DOS
>>
I use emacs in evil-mode, atom with vim-mode-plus and Chrome with Vimium.

The thing is that the standard Vim (an Vi for that matter) are everywhere, everything as Vim-mode.

Not everyone uses Vim but the Vi bindings are a must for every unix user.
>>
>>56584216
at this point you are better off using Emacs anon.
>>
Trying spacemacs currently. I'm not blown away by it but its not bad.
>>
>>56584216
Is your $PS1 shortening your path, or do you just use 1 letter folder names?
>>
>>56588772
Nah, Borland had a better color scheme.
>>
>>56593600

kekked and checked
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.