[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 28

File: 1464952559441.jpg (115KB, 700x577px) Image search: [Google]
1464952559441.jpg
115KB, 700x577px
Previously on: >>56557125

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://p.teknik.io/5cGhy
>>
First for Gentoo
>>
>>56568896
Working sound output on Linux systems?
>>56568900
That's pretty interesting because I've been using Linux for the better part of five years.

Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA.
>>
File: SMGL_not_dead.png (777KB, 994x800px) Image search: [Google]
SMGL_not_dead.png
777KB, 994x800px
First for smeagol
>>
>>56568995
>Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA.
Pretty easy, there's alsa-equal.
>>
>>56568999
dem trips
>>
File: Screenshot_20160912_122818.png (73KB, 950x537px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160912_122818.png
73KB, 950x537px
>>56568995
>Here's a challenge for you: install a working system-wide equalizer. Hard mode: do it without PA
So hard
>>
>>56568940
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***
The biggest meme ever.

Why is the community so toxic about distro choices?
>>
>>56569177
Because only broken faggot autists use Loonix desktop to begin with
>>
File: 1454861314856.jpg (94KB, 632x638px) Image search: [Google]
1454861314856.jpg
94KB, 632x638px
Mircosoft shills strike again.
>>
>>56569177
It's not only distro choice, see zsh vs bash, etc. People are just insecure and bait for approvement (mostly underage people where the penis is not fully grown; this also explains why the Arch communty usually is the loudest when it comes to seeking for approvement).
>>
Is it worth upgrading to 4.7?
>>
Anyone experienced setting up openvpn? I've set it up on my VPS with tun enabled following this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/openvpn.html. I've also opened up ports in iptables using these rules:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -o eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o tun+ -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A OUTPUT -o tun+ -j ACCEPT

But when trying to connect from windows I get the following error. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I'm almost certain the server is working. Any tips?
MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
Socket Buffers: R=[65536->65536] S=[65536->65536]
UDPv4 link local: [undef]
UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]Removed:1194
MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1473705775,WAIT,,,
TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
>>
>>56569714
Tried from a linux virtual machine and it also gets the timeout.
>>
Is it alright if I ask the common wich distro should I use question or should I do so somewhere else?
>>
Why is desktop linux pure garbage when it comes to configure the system from a gui? I'm especially looking at you KDE.
>>
is there anything special i need to do to get the vlc browser plugin to be incorporated into iceweasel after i install it, or will it automatically be plugged in?
>>
>>56569848
You are going to be bombarded with personal opinions and very little useful comparison.

What is it you want from the system?
>>
>>56569848
debian is maximum comfy. debian's like the best mix between not being a pleb and just werking. the only thing that didn't work for me right away was that jessie didn't have sudo for some reason so had to install it
>>
>>56570057
>pure garbage when it comes to configure the system from a gui?
As if Windows would not be garbage. Face it, configuring system through gui is always shit.
>>
>>56570153
I want an empty distro that doesnt come with a lot of stuff I dont use. I remember a distro I installed that came with stuff like libre office and such, just a lot of stuff that makes it messy.
>>
>>56570237
There are "minimal" ISO's of many distributions in that case which will just install core packages really.

At this point it becomes, mostly, a choice of package manager and software philosophy, although there are a few quirky choices too.
>>
>>56570210
Windows at least have some consistency. Using linux on desktop feels worse than a pre-alpha windows experience. For example I wanted to check what my local IP number was. I could not find that out from the GUI in KDE. I had to resort to using ifconfig, grep and awk.

Curious why the desktop experience was so shit I found out that network manager doesn't start by default which was why the GUI failed to even recongize that there were other network options than mounting a SMB share. Windows may be shit etc but at least it's somewhat logical. You want network settings? Press network. It just works.

In linux you want network settings from GUI? Google it, troubleshoot it, edit config file, manually start it. It's like there is zero QC because everyone falls back to the console because everyone knows the desktop experience is shit.
>>
>>56570297
Is there a place where I can read about these "minimal" distributions or maybe like a list of them? Like advantages of x over y and why y could fit better in another environment?
>>
>>56570315
if you're not willing to learn and use the terminal i agree, you shouldn't even try to use linux because you're going to fail
>>
>>56570357
https://distrowatch.com/

This could be a good start. Other anons may be able to recommend other resources too
>>
>>56570297
>At this point it becomes, mostly, a choice of package manager and software philosophy, although there are a few quirky choices too.
the truth right here
>>
>>56570210
>Face it, configuring system through gui is always shit.
A desktop machine I expect to configure from gui. This is how my ideal workflow with a fresh OS is:
1. install desktop OS
2. follow simple guide with few options. Many distros got this now
3. base system should offer to configure network etc from a gui and it should be built up in a logical manner with sensible names. No guesswork, having to install extra utilities or google to achieve a simple task to configure the system.
4. No freezing or crashing gui programs.

Desktop linux simply fails step 3 to 4. The only sensible desktop linux experience is Android and that is sad.
>>56570382
I have several VPS and I configure and administrate all of them with vim and bash scripts. I'm not afraid of the command line. My point is I should not have to resort to use the command line for the desktop version. I rather not use the keyboard at all.
>>
>>56570315
Go and add a second, static IP to a Network device running DHCP in Windows.
>>
>>56570421
then i guess you should either use windows/ios at home or make a linux distro with a better gui
>>
>>56570393
Thank you! As there are 1000 recources saying 100000 different things, approved recources will be useful
>>
Can you not change Icons on MATE?

I am not using the actual Ubuntu_MATE ISO but I installed ubuntu-MATE core etc
>>
how do you deal with spaces in filenames? tried quotes around the entire thing and it didnt work
>>
>>56570393
>https://distrowatch.com/
This website needs to be removed from the web finally. I just leads thousands of newfags to install the most popular distros instead of high quality distros. (see the popularity of Mint)
>>
File: llmenu.png (293KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
llmenu.png
293KB, 1600x900px
>>56570315
I agree, newbies need some sort of GUI config tools. That's why stuff like Linux Lite should be promoted more.
>>
>>56570487
What site would you recommend for information instead?
>>
>>56570486
what are you trying to do anon?
>>
File: distros.png (105KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
distros.png
105KB, 1000x1000px
>>56569848
I mean you could just Google it and find a variety of articles with various opinions, or reddit discussions, or possibly archived /fglt/ threads.

You'll find a wide variety of answers and no consensus overall because everyone has different tastes, priorities, and experiences (not to mention different hardware and software preferences). Also because every distro has pros and cons.

Just try out the most popular ones (or whatever interests you) and see which works best for your hardware and your preferences. Distrowatch has decent summaries of every distro on their site, and general popularity stats (just based on clicks on their site).

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Manjaro (or derivatives of these) should all be pretty simple to install and use as a beginner. They're all pretty widely used and generally accepted to be good.

If you care about freedom, then use Debian or any these: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

If you want to do something more advanced or have more control over your system (which is usually time consuming and involved), you should probably go with Gentoo or any source-based distro.

Also some people really like Arch, maybe you're one of them. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>56570487
i genuinely like secret clubs though. it doesn't affect me if 15 year old install mint and quit linux because its so shit
>>
>>56570527
horriblesubs filenames all have spaces in them and i want to be able to use the terminal to move them to my anime folder after deluge finishes downloading them
>>
>>56570532
>If you care about freedom, then use Debian
No longer true thanks to systemd fanboyism. Devuan offers the choice of installing other init systems.
>>
>>56570554
Fuck this. Even idiots should be allowed to have freedom and a good operating system.
>>
>>56570577
Systemd is free software. The discussion is about philosophy and init system structure, not about freedom.
>>
>>56570426
From memory but
control panel->network and internet connections->open adaptder->properties->ipv4 properties->advanced->add ip

Linux GUI? No fucking idea because it's probably not possible unless I write the tool myself.

In windows I don't have to think. If I want to change a setting there is a GUI for it. In linux I'd have to google it, fall back to terminal and read a long manpage because the developer never bothered making sane defaults.

>>56570445
>make a linux distro with a better gui
I guess this is why there is no good desktop distro.

>>56570510
Looks decent. Let's hope they don't revamp the entire interface every other year.
>>
>>56570577
systemd is free software licensed under the LGPL
>>
>>56570571
Either use "" or '' or escape spaces with \, e.g.
mv foo\ bar desu
mv "foo bar" desu
mv 'foo bar' desu
>>
>>56570571
maybe use a batch renamer like renameutils or GPRename to remove the spaces, or use strong quotes in your scripts
>>
>>56570611
>control panel->network and internet connections->open adaptder->properties->ipv4 properties->advanced->add ip

Sorry, but that won't work.
>>
File: 1455087848462.png (245KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1455087848462.png
245KB, 640x360px
>>56570571
To get rid of normalfag spaces:
rename -v 's/ /_/g' *

How to move files:
$ mv partoffilename[TAB]* ~/weebshot/animu/
>>
>>56570609
>>56570617
please don't start the apologetics, depriving the freedom to choose an init was not a good idea by Debian, and systemd itself takes your freedom away by requesting software developers to depend more and more from it
>>
>>56570626
i could've sworn i did the "___.ext" correctly but i guess not. thanks
>>
>>56570693
nobody stops you from using a different init system on debian, devuan just makes it easy during install
less convinience doesnt mean depriving freedom
>>
>>56570674
>dhcp
OK but why would you need another local IP for the same adapter on a desktop computer?
>>
>>56570571
mv *.mkv ~/anime/ or just use tab complete and * if there are mkv's you want to stay put.
>>
>>56570571
A hint for newfagging:
If you want to know what woulkd happen if you run a command, replace the command with "echo", so instead of

mv foo* ~/anime

run

echo foo* ~/anime
>>
>>56570740
I needed it to be able to communicate with a device in a different net, so adding an IP from that net seemed to be an easy way to do it. (Since this is a short, basic command on Linux, it couldn't be hard on Windows I thought)
End of story was that I had to google it anyway since the oh-so-great GUI wasn't really helpful.
>>
Opensuse Leap 4 and something

Installed Nvidea drivers. Now tty1-tty6 are fucked up ― giant fonts that take half of the screen.
Setting fonts as smaller ones make giant letters become large and unreadable.

Have been fighting with this thing for a couple of hours. I don't know what to do
>>
>>56570820
>calling people "fag"
>>>/pol/
>>
>>56570693
>don't start with the apologetics
I'm not, I'm just stating a fact. Systemd is free software.
>depriving the freedom to choose an init was not a good idea by Debian
Then feel free to use Devuan. I have no issues with it and I expect/hope it'll continue to work perfectly fine for years to come.
>systemd itself takes your freedom away by requesting software developers to depend more and more from it
Sure, people depend on it and I don't agree with stuff like GNOME requiring libsystemd, for example, but the primary reason for systemd is to make things easier for developers, which in turn allows them to work on more important things than the init process.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because again I don't agree with everything systemd is about, but read this comment by a maintainer of Arch's pre-systemd init system (idk if he's still maintaining):
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4lzxs3/why_did_archlinux_embrace_systemd/d3rhxlc
>>
>>56570819
I have three scripts, script1, script2, and scrpt2.sh. when I use ./scrpt2.sh anywhere I Put it it says this user doesnt have permission. use it with sudo, it doesnt even know what im talking about(command not found). Same issues with the others.
select 'run in konsole' from dolphin, and it says it cant find the script it just tried to execute and tells me to check my profile.
Is this ubuntus fault? Is it time to just install debian? I have the netinst USB right here.
tl;dr linux pretending my scripts dont real, jews did this y/n?
>>
>>56570974
I have less of an issue with Archfags signing on board but I still can't for the life of me understand why Debian jumped onto it.
>>
>>56571076
run 'chmod +x file.sh' and then try and run the scripts
>>
>>56571106
Thank you. Now I just get errors related to the actual content of the script to deal with.
>>
>>56571076
What the other guy said but also you might want to put the directory they are in in to your $PATH. You can put this in your ~/.bashrc
export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin"

Or wherever you put them.
>>
>>56570883
>muh commandline is superior
I'm not arguing that the command line is quite powerful. I'm arguing that it's quite different from having to install a network manager and ensure it's running to even see if your Ethernet interface is connected in a GUI. I don't want to have to deal with a command line on my desktop. It should just work out of the box which windows actually fufills.
>>
>>56569714
All these fucking linux experts arguing how superior the command line is over a GUI but yet no one can even give a little feedback to this. Fuck you all.
>>
>>56571244
we won't help you out if you begin insulting us. it's possible we're not too sure on your issue or have no experience in it, and we don't want to make your situation worse by telling you information on a subject we're not too confident on
>>
>>56571210
>having to install a network manager and ensure it's running to even see if your Ethernet interface is connected in a GUI.

I could add that to my GUI without Network Manager, though I don't see the point in doing so

Also, I rather use CLI than clicking through some unknown GUI.
>>
first time using debian, what should i do command-line wise to get good
>>
>>56571373
know your way around apt. don't use apt-get for installing software, just use apt. for updating, run 'apt update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
>>
>>56571386
>don't know how to do a thing
>everyone always has like three awesome command line entries to do it and give blowjobs

How do I get like this? Is there some book people read and try all different commands to know what to do?

>inb4 500 page bash book
>>
>>56571438
you'll perhaps want to look into a secondary distro to use just incase things don't go your way.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html
>>
>>56571467
>it's the one guy who doesn't answer questions and links the first page of a faq
>>
>>56571269
It's not like any of you have the competence to help to begin with. If you had you would already have answered. So fuck off.
>>
>>56571488
if you don't bother to search the things you need to know before asking questions, not much i can do for you other than give a place to fall back to
>>
>>56570820
Thanks!

2 pepecoinz have been deposited in your dank wallet.
>>
>>56571501
>hey guys can you help me solve my problem
>wow wtf you're all incompetent why did i come here
>>
>buy generic 10$ USB gamepad
>play with it for years on windows
>try a PS1 emulator on Linux
>find out that the gamepad has that rumble thing which makes it shake

Real neato. This didn't work on Windows.
>>
>tfw broadcom 43142
>fedora 24
Not even downloading Non-Free drivers for Fedora 24 for x86_64 from the RPMfusion doesn't work

What wizardy is this?
>>
>>56571524
Yeah I know. It's just like visiting any other linux forum filled with incompetent self important fucks.
>>
>>56571594
well if you're so good :^)
>>
>>56571077
>I still can't for the life of me understand why Debian jumped onto it
I guess you're just retarded then, because I gave you plenty of reason why they would.
>>
>>56571601
I guess you're a prickly autistic faggot who can't hear the sound of his own voice like 99.95% of people in these threads.
>>
>>56570315
When I installed Fedora 24 with the default Gnome spin, everything could be configured easily from the GUI. Pretty much the only thing lacking was multimedia codecs.

With software centre your average user might never even need to open the terminal.
>>
My neighbors are having sex right now, which makes me feel uncomfortable. Is there a way to fix this using Linux?
>>
I have a zsh question

Why does it sometimes truncate command options like the bottom of pic related, even if they have detailed manpage descriptions and how do I fix that?
>>
>>56571900
Blast it with NSA
aplay < /dev/urandom
>>
>>56571921
>I have a zsh question
This isn't reddit.
>>
File: 2.png (195KB, 684x518px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
195KB, 684x518px
>>56571921
forgot image
>>
>>56570475
Yes you can, what's wrong?
>>
>your distro doesn't matter, they said
>a bunch of shit doesn't fucking work or has random obscure dependencies based entirely on distros
>>
Okay so I happen to be a drooling retard when it comes to making an OS install from a flash drive. I am currently using debian, what would I need to do to create a flash drive installer of Windows 7? the dd method using the command line didn't end up working for me. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>56572626
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31164
>>
>>56572662
thanks anon!
>>
>>56571823
Fedora uses the terminal to update, though. It even reminds you to do it.
>>
>>56572777
I think you can also update fedora itself through gnome software center but I might be wrong.
>>
>writes a tiling window manager
>does it in fucking haskell
Why?
>>
Seagate vs WD for running a server 24/7? Unless there are cheaper and better alternatives.
>>
>>56572952
>Not using a proper DE
>>
So if I have switchable graphics can I have the battery life benefits and be able to run chosen programs with it or do I have to choose if I want battery and disable nvidia in the bios?
>>
>>56572971
>implying linux has good DEs
>>
>>56571527
>buy generic usb adapter for playstation controllers
>try it in linux
>left and up button doesn't work
>>
>install ubanto 16.04
>install some games, wine, and playonlinux
>all of them are screeching at me because i don't have 32bit libraries installed

google results aren't helping. what do?
>>
>>56573251
post the errors
>>
File: 1470994733910.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470994733910.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>56568940
So currently installing mathematica on arch, says I need to put the installer "in the startdir"

I've never had to do something like this, so where exactly is the startdir? I googled around a bit and didn't find anything other an posts assuming you knew where it was.
>>
after switching from the nvidia v367 video driver to the v370 driver i cant even get steam to open. trying to open in the terminal spits this out:
>STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
>/bin/bash: /home/saturn/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /bin/bash)
>grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
>awk: /home/saturn/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
>Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1471977975)
>libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
>libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

installed a game from GOG and got this:
>/home/me/GOG Games/Mount Blade Warband/game/mb_warband_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and playonlinux says this anytime i try to open:
>PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32bits OpenGL libraries
>>
>>56573436
where did you get these instructions and are you aware that there is an aur-package for mathematica 11?
>>
>>56573480
It's in the Mathematica PKGBUILD itself, it asks for the .sh file.
>>
>>56573533
taken from the comment section of the aur package:
>'startdir' is the directory where the PKGBUILD is located on your filesystem.
>>
>>56573251
Run "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" followed by "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"
>>
>>56571244
If it's not about anime or ricing your arch then you wont get any answers.
>>
>>56573467
meant for >>56573289

>>56573587
did that and rebooted but no dice. same errors.
>>
>>56573569
Oh, I had missed that line. Cheers, anon.

Will post back if anything goes wrong.
>>
>>56573670
if rolling back to the old drivers is not an option for you
you could try reinstalling the drivers or manually installing some 32 bit libraries
>>
>>56568940
just compiled my first piece of software (ZNC) are you proud of me /g/?
>>
>>56573741
What's this?
>>
>>56573776
ZNC is an IRC bouncer
>>
How ready to use is KDE Neon (user edition)? I'm considering replacing kubuntu 16.04 with it because the backports for that seem to be dead.
>>
Has anyone here used Alpine?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-09-12_20-52-29.png (72KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-09-12_20-52-29.png
72KB, 1280x800px
Can someone explain why Libreoffice keeps flickering like a fucking idiot whenever i try to use the toolbar on top?
>>
>>56574275
it's telling you to use vim
>>
>>56574325
You're a fucking retard. That's not even funny in an "intall gentoo" way.

>>56574275
It might be clashing with a GTK thing. I've had similar issues, although mine was more along the lines of "wow this looks like SHIT in a dark theme"

You should be able to change it to use generic and see how it works. Have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice#Theme
>>
>>56573830
It's not meant to be used anywhere
>>
>>56574325
i cant write my master thesis in vim, silly :^)))
>>
>>56574391
not if you're a noob
>>
>>56574377
Why?
>>
>>56574460
because it was made ironically
>>
>>56574391
I unironically did this for my history masters thesis. Do not recommend.
>>
>>56574352
thanks

i installed the GTK2 package for libreoffice, and I guess libreoffifce 5.x only works best with GTK3.
>>
>>56574521
So did just switching it to use GTK2 work?
>>
>>56573102
As opposed to what?

BSD?
>>
>>56574471
Evidence?
>>
>>56574536
aparently i don't have
libreoffice-gtk3
so i don't know why it wouldn't just werk with gtk2 (i have
libreoffice-gtk2
installed)

My guess now is that the current theme i'm running is the culprit, changing themes and i'll get back to ya
>>
>>56574587
Sorry, maybe it wasn't clear from the arch wiki. (It's kind of shit)

Open one of those files, (I believe the fresh one is what you want), then uncomment the line with GTK-2 in it (there should be only 4) then run the file, reboot, and it should work.

I had to do that because my GTK theme wasn't working with libre office all that well, but I didn't wanna switch for that one theme.
>>
>>56574613
>reboot
>on linux
what?
>>
>>56574634
Beats me, I had tried everything except that, and it's the only thing that made it accept my changes.
>>
>>56574650
A logout is usually enough to reload gtk.
>>
>>56574665
Yeah, I had done that, but for whatever reason libreoffice was having none of it.

It wasn't until I had came back to it a day later and opened it and noticed that the chjange had been applied. Was pretty weird, but I wasn't going to question it.
>>
Pizza anyone?
curl -L http://git.io/pizzza
>>
>>56574613
Maybe it's because i'm not using arch, but I do not have a libreoffice-fresh.sh file (running debian btw), I didn't install libreoffice-fresh
>>
>>56574740
no libre-office still either? Weird.

I would imagine something along the lines there, but it also might be because debian looks like it distributes versions for KDE, GTk3, and GTK2
>>
My third monitor stopped working. It was working fine, then I installed Grub Customizer to fix up my grub menu, and now it won't detect. Any ideas?
>>
>>56574769
OH WAIT

i solved it. turns out all i had to do was install
gtk2-engines-murrine
>>
Complete linux illiterate here

Am running Ubuntu as a platform to pirate Windows on my new PC. Got up to burning the Windows .iso to a flash drive but something went a little wrong. Trying to go back and redo it but now for no reason my desktop fails to boot Ubuntu. It just hangs on the purple splash screen and does nothing. Eventually (after over a minute) it just pulls up the command line.

Is there something I can do to fix this? I have no idea why its doing this. Even the anon who was helping me rewrite the flash drive is lost.
>>
>>56575206
You likely messed up your MBR. You'll have to chroot from a live cd and repair your grub configuration.
>>
>>56575267
How would that even be a thing that could happen.
I literally gave the computer one goddamn command, which was to move a file from Downloads to a flash drive.
Fuck this entire thing.
>>
>>56575206
linus found your lack of faith disturbing
>>
>>56575289
Hardy fucking har, faggot. I'm sure as shit not putting any faith in an OS that breaks when you tell it to write to a flash drive.
>>
Hello, I'm currently learning C,C++. I'm using Windows to learn and develop but it is really hard to make something on it (very counterintuitive), should I move on to a Linux system?
>>
>>56575306
>faggot
>>>/pol/
>>
>>56575361
Yes.
>>
>>56575400
>defends software that breaks itself because "muh freedoms"
>>>/g/
Oh wait
>>
>>56575288
Sorry I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. All you tried to do was burn the iso?

What method did you use?

When you boot the computer do you press any key to enter a boot menu? Is the flash drive plugged in when you're booting?
>>
>>56575436
>ima pirate windows and try to install it
>hang in guyz I can't boot now
>must be ubuntu's fault
>>
>>56575464
Ubuntu doesn't boot you retard

>>56575436
Installed Ubuntu
Downloaded Windows .iso
used gparted to double check I was overwriting my flash drive
burned the .iso to the flash drive something went a little screwy and soft-killed it.
Went to reboot the computer so I could rewrite the flash drive again but now Ubuntu just doesn't boot.

So now I'm having to format the flash drive, re-download Ubuntu and burn it to the flash drive so that I can reboot the pc and try to burn my Windows .iso again.
>>
>>56575514
>Ubuntu doesn't boot you retard
Must be ubuntu's fault then
>>
>>56575514
>burned the .iso to the flash drive something went a little screwy and soft-killed it.
Found your problem retard. You fucked up.
>>
>>56575538
The ironic thing here is that you think you're being clever
>install ubuntu
>dick around with a flash drive
>ubuntu breaks
This is inarguably Ubuntu's fault, you can't defend an operating system that breaks when dealing with external files that aren't even being saved to the hard drive. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>56575548
I fucked up burning the Windows .iso to the flash drive. How this made the Ubuntu os installed to my desktop kill itself is what's confusing.
>>
>>56575570
Sure thing bud, I'm sure you're right.
>>
>>56575594
what specifically did you do to burn the iso?
Clearly you did something wrong
>>
>>56575607
>Too stupid to comprehend a series of events
>Hurr sure thing bud, you just made that up, works on my machine durr
This is just sad
>>
>>56575627
>I fucked up but I'm too stupid and stubborn to understand what
>something went a little screwy
>I can't imagine what could have happened, it can't be my fault, no way Jose, no matter what they say on /g/ this wasn't me fucking up
>>
Cant seem to get X running in virtualbox.
Guest addons on both sides.
I tried nouveau and nvidia drivers
>>
>>56575616
"sudo dd if=windows7.iso of=/dev/sdb/ bs=4M && sync"

Which ran perfectly fine, but only wrote 3 gb to the flash drive which is how we figured out it must have glitched while writing.
I used both gparted and lsblk to verify that sdb was my flash drive, so that wasn't the problem. Hell I even renamed the ISO to windows7.iso just to make it easier to type.
>>
File: 1458635358941.png (545KB, 1913x1164px) Image search: [Google]
1458635358941.png
545KB, 1913x1164px
Gotta say, I think the Freetype update is pretty impressive, but I still think there's a lot to be desired. There's something about it that just feels...off. Might go back to infinality, but anybody got some suggestions to improve font rendering?
>>
>>56575659
>I can't imagine what could have happened
Yes, because an entire OS shutting down when you write a command to burn a file to a flash drive makes perfect sense.
>>
>>56575682
Please just stick to windows.
>>
>>56575206
>pirate
If you're not going to murder someone and steal his money on the high seas don't call it pirating. If you use that word, you just support this kind of brainwashing that makes people think that sharing a copy is illegal.
>>
>>56575695
That's what I'm trying to do
>>
>>56575701
THANK YOU FOR THAT ENTIRELY RELEVANT INFORMATION ABOUT MUH FREE AS IN FREEDOMS
>>
>>56575693
>Yes, because an entire OS shutting down when you fuck something up makes perfect sense.
How about you check logs and see what the actual reason is, it could be completely unrelated.
eg, kernel was updated, didn't reboot until now, doesn't boot, correlate it to the last thing I did
>>
>>56575728
No problem. No need to yell tho.
>>
>>56575701
>dude everything should be free lol
>>
>>56575716
Who cares if you can boot to ubuntu then?
>>
Linux newbie here. Is Ubuntu really slower than your usual distro or is it just a meme?
>>
>>56575691
Honestly I think better rendering can be had without infinality, it always seems to have weird kerning for my tastes. I just installed the update myself and I don't see any difference at all, I was using free linux fonts already so maybe that is why.
>>
File: 1448493175246.jpg (26KB, 600x522px) Image search: [Google]
1448493175246.jpg
26KB, 600x522px
>>56575744
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>56575744
Install Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>56575744
It's not slower, no.
It's not the lightest but it's not slow.

btw, "light" doesn't equal best
>>
Hello. I installed linux mint on my x220 because i was done with windows. Everything perfect but the fan that is quite loud even idling... Already installed tlp and modified grub to quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux. Still it doesnt work... What to do?
>>
>>56575778
>I installed linux mint
fail https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>56575744
Unity is more resource intensive than other alternatives if that's what you're asking.

Most complaints are really about the default nonfree packages and repositories.

Ubuntu running mate will really be no different than arch or fedora running mate.
>>
>>56575734
>>Yes, because an entire OS shutting down when you fuck something up makes perfect sense.
And again, you think you're being clever. I've had windows boot on systems that were hilariously badly programmed or even physically damaged.
The fact that it's even possible to break this OS by giving it one command incorrectly, when that command has NOTHING to do with anything installed om the computer, is a giant problem.

It's shit like that pushing people to just stay on Windows 10 or, hell, even 7. You shouldn't have to be super up-to-date on code literacy to prevent shredding your OS.

Imagine if you accidentally tried to crank your car in the wrong gear and the engine fell apart.
>>
>>56575763
I think there are a few of the presets that just "enhance" freetype. I think there are a few FC presets that come out just flat out weird looking, but for the most part I've had good luck with it.

Not really sure how to into font rendering in arch honestly
>>
>>56575796
Please wipe your disk, install windows, and fuck off already. No one gives a cunt hair about your exxxperience.
>>
>>56575796
>I've had windows boot on systems that were hilariously badly programmed

I think it's time for you to stop friend.
>>
>>56575778
Get a distro with newer kernel. I never had this issue though
>>
>>56575811
>>56575811
>Not really sure how to into font rendering in arch honestly
Just install a few good font sets and use a basic config like the wiki suggests, not much to it really. Use good fonts and you get good rendering generally.

Is there something I need to change regarding this update that I need to do, like enable a preset or something?
>>
>>56575763
>kerning
Then edit fontconfig to alter to your liking.
Use better fonts
>>
>>56575854
It's nothing to do with the fonts, it is the configs which come with infinality. I can use the same fonts without the config files an they look fine.
I don't need infinality, it's not that I need (even) more fonts.
>>
>>56575817
This is the biggest kek I've had all day
>>
>>56575873
Then your dpi is not set properly, your rendering,pixel settings are shit, or you're just flat out blind
>>
>>56575851
Don't think so. It's only made it to arch I believe, but you should be able to just install it and go.

I didn't notice a HUGE change on dejavu, but it's noticeable.
>>
>>56575891
What the fuck are you talking about?
>I think rendering can look fine WITHOUT infinality
>you're wrong, you should install a ton of extra fonts and configs and then edit your own configs to make it how you like, and then use better fonts than already come with infinalilty already
>I don't need infinality, I can make fonts look better without it
>hurr durr your configs are wrong
Are you drunk?
For a start, these days infinality is pretty much just font configurations rather than patches, most of the patches which most people previously referred to as 'infinality' have been incorporated in to freetype by default. Secondly, if I can create good rendering, which I am happy with, without infinality, why would need to install infinality and lead you to believe that my dpi is not set and my settings are shit or I am blind? My rendering looks fine, if you're are too retarded to set up your own simple config and blinding follow the "install infinality to have good fonts" meme then a) you are using arch and b) you're a moron.
Now fuck off.
>>
File: 1471055221712.gif (4MB, 301x470px) Image search: [Google]
1471055221712.gif
4MB, 301x470px
>>56576008
>>
>>56576025
I'm glad you can read between the lines.
>>
>>56575854
What's keming?
>>
>>56576044
shhhh, it doesn't exist!
>>
File: 1468796409860.jpg (30KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468796409860.jpg
30KB, 360x400px
>>56576043
>>
>>56576071
Great meme brother, I'm going to upvode this to the max.
>>
I'm using Manjaro on my laptop and I am having issues playing files off a samba server I set up on my Raspberry Pi. Before I switched to Manjaro, I was using Windows 7 and I was able to play all of my files off of the server with no problem and my Android devices can do the same still, but whenever I try playing files off the server on Manjaro, I get an error that's specific to the program I am using. I am able to log into the server and browse all of the folders and if I copy and paste the file to my local hard drive, it will work and play just fine.

Do I need to change anything in my smb.conf file? Any settings I have to change with the Dolphin file manager? I tried looking on the ArchWiki, but most of the troubleshooting is if you can't access the server at all or if you are running the server off of Manjaro, unless I'm reading it wrong.
>>
>>56576090
epic, you surely won the argument
>>
File: 1461310650209.png (560KB, 1920x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1461310650209.png
560KB, 1920x1199px
>>56575851
>>56575691
I guess I was kind of used to debian fonts looking like shit and never realized that arch includes the stuff you need to make em look good. Enabled sub-pixel RGB and I think it's a lot more improved. Cheers, anon.

If anybody else had some more tips, I'd appreciate em.
>>
File: 1464646852636.jpg (151KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1464646852636.jpg
151KB, 650x650px
>>56576101
>>
File: Screenshot_20160912_212926.png (428KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160912_212926.png
428KB, 1366x768px
>>56576104
What font is that?
>>
>>56576136
It's like plebbit in here all of a sudden
>>
>>56576090
10/10 loli would hug everyday
>>
>>56576148
Dejavu Sans Condensed. Probably one of my favorite fonts, but I think I'm growing tired of it.
>>
>>56576164
I don't like dejavu family these days, I think noto look much better. Incidentally, the one I posted above is without infinality. I think it's really down to the fonts you choose. Freetype has a lot of patches added for the croscore fonts so they render pretty well now, you could try the font config for those on the arch wiki, they look alright.
>>
>>56575682
Doesn't work for windows. You gotta partition the usb as ntfs, use ms-sys to copy a windows 7 MBR to it and then mount the iso and copy the files over.
>>
>>56576104
That's not distro related, that's related to you being unable to change your fontconfig.
>>
File: 1447492370158.jpg (65KB, 525x582px) Image search: [Google]
1447492370158.jpg
65KB, 525x582px
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

When we have enough free software
At our call, hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, hackers, ever more.

>>
File: 1473548886682.jpg (28KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473548886682.jpg
28KB, 480x480px
>>56575206
Care to explain why you didn't just use a LiveCD? Why waste disk space on one OS just to burn an iso for another OS?
>>
Why does Linux keep trying to be a 70s mainframe? Timesharing isn't a thing anymore and the entire program pipeline idea is fucking stupid and not used. Almost all projects are self contained and I'm not expecting wget to give me output that I can feed into sql directly.

It's so fucking stupid. This shit is great in the 80s, but it's so outdated now. And because of this outdated bullshit, we're all using Windows which is a shitty, shitty operating system.
>>
File: 61KxRoBHD6L._SL1000_.jpg (109KB, 1000x816px) Image search: [Google]
61KxRoBHD6L._SL1000_.jpg
109KB, 1000x816px
I was wondering if I could run linux off of a USB, not live booting but installing it to the USB to run like a HDD. Would it be fast enough to use properly? How quickly do you think it would die?
>>
>>56577855

>not using wget to get the HTML file then piping that into a dedicated HTML viewer
>not using a sophisticated line to filter out the jaypegs from the HTML data and piping that into wget to download it and then into the image viewer of your choice
>not creating a reply with your text editor and posting it via wget

How do you use the internet instead?
>>
>>56578011

Just install it on the USB flash drive. Select it during installation.
>Would it be fast enough to use properly?
You would be bottlenecked by the drive's write speeds.
> How quickly do you think it would die?
Why would it die quickly?
>>
>>56578011
Running about two servers off of USB 2.0 drives now.
They're on Arch and fine once everything they need's in RAM.

If you're asking though then it's clearly not for you
>>
So, I have this server where I just want my remote machine to be able to connect to, are these iptables rules enough ?

iptables -F
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -A INPUT --in-interface lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s [rhost_ip] -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
>>
>>56578513
*good enough
>>
can i use Rufus to make a LiveCD of openSUSE or do I have to use ImageUSB?

is openSUSE okay for babby's first linux?
>>
How would an AMD APU cope with Linux, anything to worry about driver wise, especially if i'm going to be using a new chip like Bristol Ridge (or could even be raven by the time AM4 motherboards come out)
>>
I have a 5960X and a 980 Ti.

How much will my FPS drop in games if I run Windows 7 in a VM on Linux?
>>
>>56578878
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
>>
>>56569301
I blame the approvementers.
>>
>>56578535
Rufus works.
>>
>>56570487
Mint's not that bad. It's probably the best introduction from windows or osx and you still get to do a few linuxy things in it. If someones using mint and they get bored with they are into linux. If they don't like it, they probably wouldn't have gotten most of the other distros installed anyway.
>>
>>56579186
nevermind i downloaded the install DVD instead of the liveCD i'm fucken retarded.
>>
File: a.jpg (206KB, 1724x1000px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
206KB, 1724x1000px
>I was wondering if I could run linux off of a USB, not live booting but installing it to the USB to run like a HDD.
yes, process is the same as normal, just install to the USB drive
one thing to note: when booting on different hardware, you may need to pick the "fallback initramfs" option during boot, most distros generate a smaller initramfs with only the drivers needed for the machine it was generated on

>Would it be fast enough to use properly?
depends on the flash drive, naturally. you probably want something that can do at least 10MB/s read and write for a reasonably comfortable system
if you need something fast, you could consider an NGFF ssd in a usb3 enclosure
>>
>>56569714
what makes you think the server is working?
>>
Tech illiterate here
Are USB Internet sticks usable on linux? I want to get mobile internet for my linux-based laptop, but all the sticks out there mention only windows and mac in their prerequisites.
>>
>>56579567
many of them are supported, i've used a couple before
just look up the model number of one that suits you and see if it's mentioned somewhere along with linux
>>
>>56579638
thanks, I'll keep an eye out
>>
File: matlab.jpg (30KB, 300x379px) Image search: [Google]
matlab.jpg
30KB, 300x379px
Time to install MATLAB for some work this semester.
Ubuntu: error after error after error. Not the right libraries, not the right permissions, not the right graphics drivers, etc.etc. and all very poorly documented/help threads on various fora

Arch: install, install some compatibility packages/fix as dictated by the wiki, create shortcut, just werks.

Who would have thought...
>>
>>56580348
it takes one look at the supported packages list to realize Ubuntu is a meme compared to Oldbian.
>>
>>56580634
Yeah... when I have a day free I plan to install Arch on desktop as well.
Gonna take a day as I wanna swap the SSDs and need to dualboot Win7 due to some shit just not working on Linux. Mainly programs and drivers for lab-equipment... or well, they do run on Linux as well but computers in the lab run Win7 so to avoid potential issues better stick with same systems. Guess I could always ask my professor if he minds me installing Linux on a few lab-computers to solve the problem though. Think he might even agree seeing as how he is a big nerd as well. Had a nice talk yesterday about different distros, how he likes BSD etc.etc.
>>
I'm trying to set up ufw but there are no programs listed.
>ufw app list
shows nothing
>/etc/ufw/applications.d
is empty.
>>
I've never used vim or i3 before but I've heard that they use different keys for direction. Do most people change to hjkl or jkl;? It seems it would be a bit confusing to keep it as default for both
>>
>>56581135
I change it when I use i3, such a fucking retarded default.
>>
File: kek.webm (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
kek.webm
1MB, 1280x1024px
Where ma Gravitation and Net Yaroze nostalgia boys at? Running on Linux.

http://www.demonstudios.com/gravitation.html
>>
>>56581033

Allow the ports manually.
>>
>>56568940
is there any way to uninstall some of the programs that come base with debian? stuff like the evolution email software
>>
What are some good GNOME 3 extensions for programming? I like drop down terminal; I also use the built in tiling feature quite a bit.

Also, impatience.
>>
i logged into my gmail on iceweasel for the first time, and in the all mail there were thousands of things in there. i looked at them and they were notes i wrote down on my iphone's note program. stuff like grocery lists, song lyrics to look up the song to, etc. random shit over several years. stuff i would never email to myself. my iphone doesn't even have service anymore, it's basically just an ipod, and i still saw notes from a couple days ago on there. wtf is going on?
>>
File: trashman after the cut.png (688KB, 519x680px) Image search: [Google]
trashman after the cut.png
688KB, 519x680px
>looking at text editors
>atom looks promising
>see this
metrics package: Reports usage information to Google Analytics. By default, Atom reports usage information to Google Analytics, including a unique UUID v4 random identifier.[21] According to the authors, this is to determine the performance and know the most-used functions.[22] This feature can be disabled by the user by opening the Settings View, searching for the metrics package, and disabling it.[21]

exception-reporting package: Reports uncaught Atom exceptions to bugsnag.com.[23] This feature can be disabled and, unlike the 'metrics' package, it is not mentioned to the user after installing. Another concern is that "the description of exactly what data is being collected is very lacking."[16]
>discard
>>
>>56581251
pretty neat
threw together an AUR package for it

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gravitation
>>
>>56581763
Use emacs. I also have a friend who likes kate. If you really need a modern looking one get Sublime. I'd recommend the emacs shortcuts extension for sublime. Never use your mouse while programming.
>>
I just got my refurbished T420 today, and I'm planning on taking the jump with Ubuntu preferably. Is dual booting a good idea on 320GB? Are there any major differences between the default and GNOME variant? Should I grab anything beyond Common Sense 2016? I'll be using it for emulation/word docs/IMs/IRC at most.
>>
>>56581801

I grew to like Kate a lot. Used it heavily on a python/Selenium automation project years ago and have been using it ever since.
>>
>>56580348

I'm supporting machines running Matlab for a group of engineers running it on CentOS 6.x and 7.x. Shit works.
>>
>install linux mint
>broke after 2 weeks
>install linux mint again
>headphones doesnt work after 2 days

i just want to try and get comfy in linux, shouldnt distros like mint supposed to be like stable or usable for a long time like windows?

what else should i try
>>
>>56582408
>usuable linux desktop taht just werks
No such thing exists. Other people in this thread may try to convince you otherwise but at the end of the day linux works best as a server OS. Ubuntu is probably the closest you are going to get to a windows like experience.
>>
>>56582408 --> >>56570532
>>
>>56582408
>install debian stable with nonfree drivers and some wm/de that doesn't overdo it
>do nothing other than updating every few weeks for years
>>
>>56582408
>>56582408
>shouldnt distros like mint supposed to be like stable or usable for a long time like windows?
Do not use Downstream Distros they always suck
>>
>>56581553
Install synaptic, a gui package manager.
>>
>>56581553
Evolution is not base. And yes you can.remove it.
>>
>>56582408
You just installed the worst distro. I really don't get why everyone is using Mint. Fucking tech illiterate blogs everywhere.
Read this: https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
And then install Ubuntu or even better: Debian.
>>
What's the reasoning behind installing libreboot on an ARM netbook? It has the google boot firmware which I understand is open source abd presumably not bloated backdoor malware like the Intel management engine
>>
>>56582408
You'll get a lot of contradictory answers in these threads ("distro doesn't matter, except when it does", "werks for me" etc)

The fact is that unless you do something like freelance development or pen testing at home for a living, Linux blows ass as a desktop. It isn't worth it.
>>
File: 1455905364491.png (55KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1455905364491.png
55KB, 625x626px
>>56583168
>>
>>56583199
Hurr
>>
>>56583168
I freelance as a backend dev from home. :^)

Install Gentoo.
>>
>>56581771

>/opt
Why? Since it's a package, just put it in /usr/ like everything else.
>>
>>56583168
You mean unless you have supported hardware

>install linux
>unsupported hardware
>"linux is crap"

>install windows
>unsupported hardware
>"AMD is crap"
>>
>>56583351
Underrated
>>
I just ran pacman -Syu and was asked to replace libdbus with core/dbus, can anyone tell me what these two packages are and why I would choose one over the other?
>>
>>56583746
libdbus does no longer exist.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=216405
>>
>>56583780
Ah ok, thanks for the reply.
>>
I'm pretty new to linux and all so I installed Arch Linux, am I doing it right?
>>
>>56583899
arch is a good distro for babbies first steps, just read the wiki if you have problems and if you need a program, use the aur
>>
>>56583899
Yes
No
Who cares?
>>
>>56583931
Arch is for advanced users...
>>
>>56583962
>no istaller; advanced 1337 skills needed
:^)
>>
>>56583984
>mom I posted the carrot nose again!
>>
>>56583931
Thanks
>>
I'm trying to install Libreboot onto my Thinkpad T400 and I've been following the steps here to set up a small computer to flash the chip.

https://libreboot.org/docs/install/bbb_setup.html

> Get flashrom from the libreboot_util release archive, or build it from libreboot_src/git if you need to. An ARM binary (statically compiled) for flashrom exists in libreboot_util releases. Put the flashrom binary on your BBB.

I'm an utter moron and I don't know what they mean by this. Do I just copy and paste the Flashrom folder onto the Beaglebone's file directory or is there something else I need to do here?

I type the following into the Cloud9 IDE terminal

> ./flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=512

But it simply says "No such file or directory"
>>
>>56583899
>>56583931
>arch
>all proprietary kernel modules enabled out of the box
enjoy your botnet
>>
>>56583899
Yes.
>>
>>56583899
If you want to use python, no. Arch devs intentionally broke it.
>>
>>56584064
I think there's something you don't understand here anon...
>>
I just started up my laptop and have no sound output, along with the mute button above my keyboard being lit but not responding to me pressing it or the volume buttons. I'm running Manjaro on a T530 Thinkpad. Where do I even begin troubleshooting this?
>>
>>56584115
what?
>>
>>56584115
Is he right? Is this also true on Arch derivatives?
>>
>>56584123
git gut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob
>>
>>56584168
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python#Dealing_with_version_problem_in_build_scripts
This crap breaks all python2 scripts that are not compatible to python3, since Arch decided it's cooler and made everything incompatible.
>>
How is hardware acceleration under Ubuntu these days? Stopped using Linux after HTML5 video started to heat up my laptop more than I'd like.
>>
>>56584210
they also link #!/bin/sh to bash ... while this doesn't break anything, it makes scripts and therefore the system slower
>>
>>56584224
>has 1 problem
>drops linux
lel
>>
>>56584224
install gentoo
>>
>>56568979
>>56579015
>>56583241
>>56584281
Installing gentoo is too hard and time consuming. I have wpa encrypted wifi.
>>
>>56584239
>>56584210
Debian doesn't have this problem. Get a real distro, kids.
>>
How do I rice?
>>
>>56584331
install arch, best for rice
>>
What's the best terminal emulator?
>>
>>56584338
You can rice every distro, dumb Archtoddler.

>>56584331
https://rizonrice.github.io/resources

>>56584350
The one I'm using.
>>
Hey Debian people, I have a question.

How do you reliably discover which xserver-xorg-video-* and xserver-xorg-input-* to install? I don't want to waste time and storage space installing xserver-xorg-*-all.

>>56584350
I like Lilyterm because it's simple, configurable, and has no dependencies.
>>
>>56584402
>and has no dependencies.
Sorry I'm retarded, I meant it has few* dependencies.
>>
>>56582785
Anyone know?
>>
File: mrORI02.jpg (174KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
mrORI02.jpg
174KB, 1280x800px
sed -e '/[[:alpha:]]$/! s/$/\/announce/' < trackers.txt > fixedtrackers.txt

isn't this a beautiful regex?
>>
>>56584436
This is not a knowledge thread. This is a we pretend we know what we are doing thread.
>>
>>56584193
Yes anon, I know what binary blobs are. I don't think you understand how a kernel works.
>>
>>56568940
I started using Linux Ubuntu as my main OS (with default mate of course) and i'm loving it. Sadly, i feel like i'm not learning enough. Do you guys know a book, webpage or video tutorial that take me from total noob commands to an average user level? (and no, i don't want to start using Arch or some other distro for now)
>>
>>56584515
look at the OP anon
>>
>>56584150
Alsamixer and pavucontrol
>>
>>56584476
So you're argument is:
>he dumb
>it's all a lie
?

Proprietary modules load proprietary code, which is a security hole because nobody knows what the code really does. If you need such a module for your hardware to work, it's bad but you can't help it, but doing it like Arch and enabling ALL modules for the fuck sake that "it just werks" is simply retarded.
>>
>>56584515
>Do you guys know a book, webpage or video tutorial that take me from total noob commands to an average user level?
The book mentioned in the OP, "The Linux Command Line" is really good at getting you from 0 to pro. It's a free download.
>>
>>56584537
Yee i'm doing it, but i feel like these resources are only good if you know what you're looking for
>>
New thread: >>56584571
>>
>>56584544
Ok, I took the advice of https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Volume_Stuck_on_Mute_(XFCE_Desktop) option #1 and removed pulse, I'm getting output now but volume buttons on laptop still don't work. Is this fixable? I really don't want to have to open alsa mixer constantly.
>>
>>56584567
start with this http://www.mprat.org/Terminus/
>>
>>56584588
You can probably bind an alsa command to your buttons with xbindkeys.
>>56584567
The debian asministrators handbook is a good place to start.
>>
>>56584271
I already had windows and was just messing with different distros for a while. I do a lot of YouTube watching so I would prefer my computer to stay cool while doing so
>>
>>56584554
>So you're argument is:
No anon, you don't know what "enabling a module" means, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>56568940
>that pic
this hurts the mathematician
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.