[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

iphone jack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: CsEZ-MYXEAAnXli.jpg large.jpg (58KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
CsEZ-MYXEAAnXli.jpg large.jpg
58KB, 640x960px
this makes so much sense but at the same time... why?
>>
this isn't the reason. jesus, /g/ is incredibly fucking stupid.

removing the headphone jack means apple can enforce DRM on all media.
>>
>>56557446
>why
>a business is given the chance to eliminate competition in a market they have entered
>why
>>
>>56557470
So why would they include an adapter in every box?
>>
Apple doesn't make any of its own NFC readers for payment terminals. Other companies (like Square) do and they work with Apple Pay.

The only benefit Apple gets from removing the jack is that these companies now have to pay the licensing fee to use Lightning.
>>
>>56557446
You know they make a wireless square correct..?
>>
>>56557888
Then they'll reject any app that operates with these readers wirelessly.
>>
>>56557470
Wouldn't this be possible with a 3.5mm jack? Surely there could theoretically be some OS-level software module that could disable the 3.5mm jack.
>>
>>56557493
The question that exposes the OP's fraud.
Absolute gold.
>>
>>56558035
Well said, iPajeet!
>>
>>56557591
>these companies now have to pay the licensing fee to use Lightning.
>>>

couldn't they just use Bluetooth with some sort of encryption ?
>>
>>56558045
Sticks... stones... etc.
>>
>>56557446
And of course those guys never thought for a moment that Apple would change their iPhone design ever, right?
You can bet as part of their license agreement that they were kept up to date on Apple's plans.
>>
>>56557446
It's a tough world. Think of all those PC shops who used to make money selling and installing Windows OS updates. No more. Microsoft forces the updates over the web.
>>
>>56557446
99.9999% of POS merchants use iPads and iPod Touches. No one uses iPhones. Way too expensive for that.
>>
>>56558837
This desu, might be switching to Android soon too
>>
>>56557909
Are you actually retarded?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJCU2LL/A/square-reader-apple-pay-and-chip-cards
>>
>>56557446
Those look really safe!

Also
> every iPhone 7 comes with an adapter anyways
>>
>>56557446
since when did apple pay allow for card swiping and other transaction processing?
>>
>>56560722
>Those look really safe!
why would they be unsafe? they're the same fucking shit as any other card swipe

> every iPhone 7 comes with an adapter anyways
have fun trying to swipe cards on a flaccid extension cable

maybe scatman is right, you retards deserve to have your threads literally shitposted into oblivion
>>
>>56559031
>This desu, might be switching to Android soon too
No, android's too insecure for POS. THere'd be huge monetary losses for the banks. That's why they'll never certify Android devices.
>>
File: 1473563648500.png (940KB, 810x964px) Image search: [Google]
1473563648500.png
940KB, 810x964px
>>56560753
>Apple never allowed this, STOP USING THINGS APPLE DOESN'T LIKE.

kys
>>
>>56560774
??? there are plenty of services that support Android devices, used them on my last on-site estate sale
>>
>>56560780
who are you quoting, dumbshit?
are you drones even capable of reading, let alone any sort of critical thinking?
>>
>>56557470
So now they're going bring back DRM for music after getting rid of it in 2009?

[citation needed]
>>
>>56560774
All Major Australian banks deploy Android based POS systems, Android can be secure if the OEM behind it gives a shit, which the banks definitely do.
Australian banks are also actively stopping Apple Pay from coming to Australia, so a big applause to them. The less appleshit the better.
>>
>>56560876
Apple Music is DRMed real fucking hard. iTunes Store is getting less and less visible with each passing software update.
>>
>>56557446
What are those things?
>>
>>56557888

Doesn't do Magstripe, which is still the most used method of electronic payment by A MASSIVE margin in most PCI-driven countries.
>>
>>56560876

I'm 99% sure their streaming music service is DRM-ladden. That streaming music service they're pushing harder than the lightning for all their mobile devices.
>>
>>56558147
Your realize Bluetooth is an insecure piece of shit right?
>>
>>56557446
>Internet payments via audio jack
What the?
>>
>>56561421
>>56561786
Customer hands you their credit card and you accept payment and give them their shit. How is this hard to understand? You shut ins never been to a starbucks before?
>>
>>56561850
>[a person] hands you [a thing] via audio jack
WHAT THE?
>>
>>56561850
>You shut ins never been to a starbucks before?
i have not
>>
Fucking ayeeeee. I find that way more believable.

Now apple won't have to compete against competitor mobile payments systems.

>>56557470
I don;t get how removing the headphone jack would mean apple could enforce DRM. Could someone explain it.
>>
Am i the only one who knows absolutely no one who uses bluetooth headphones?
>>
>>56561887
You hand them your card, they swipe it in the phone dongle. Stop being so autistic.

>>56561901
Wake up and go outside. There is an entire world beyond the brick and mortar of your mom's basement.
>>
>>56561918
>Wake up and go outside. There is an entire world beyond the brick and mortar of your mom's basement.
basements are not common where i live
>>
>>56561363

They are also stopping android pay too dingus.
>>
>>56561918
Wait a second, it's a business side thing? I thought it would be for a person to use in place of a debit/credit/whatever card.

WHAT
T
H
E
>>
>>56561529
>magstripe
It's like I am back in 1985 again!
>>
>>56561363
>Australian banks are also actively stopping Apple Pay from coming to Australia, so a big applause to them.
APPLEause?
>>
>>56561935
You have a lot to learn about life son.
>>
>>56561943
Why would any shop use these toy dongles anyway when credit card machines with WiFi or even mobile networked ones for Taxis and such are cheap anyway?
>>
>>56558147
>payment info over something like bluetooth
absolute madman
>>
>>56561786
you can use the TRRS jack for serial connectivity
people have been doing that for years
>>
>>56561959
Mobile POS terminals are expensive, and most chucklefucks who run businesses already have a smartphone anyway.
>>
>>56561959
It's both for businesses that are selling out in the open and for mobile businesses. Like a coffee shop that wants to set up a stand on a college campus in the middle of literally where or a taco cart that needs to keep moving from place to place for customers.
>>
>>56561981

its like people don't realize how rudimentary a magstripe card is. its literally the details printed on the card as a magnetic barcode. readers are about as technical as an old cassette tape magnetic head.
>>
>>56562009
It's more magic to me than, say, laser shit read by a processor.
Or best, how a fucking rusty needle running down a bakelite groove can produce music. Fuckin HOW.
>>
>>56562107
ANYTHING that can store something that's readable as 2 separate states can store digital information.

The needle on a record player is even simpler, that's literally just the vibration motion in a groove. and then a needle going back through that groove and being moved in the same way and converted back.
>>
>>56561918
>Wake up and go outside. There is an entire world beyond the brick and mortar of your mom's basement.
I'm just a random passerby, but you are super retarded if you think that not going to Starbucks (and similar establishments) equals living in your mom's basement. I, too, wasn't aware that the devices in OPs image exist until now, but then again, I come from the European country that has the dubious honour of making 1st place in the "prevalence of cash payments" list. Fun fact: I've been in more than one McDonald's that only took cash and payed for a 20k car with 500 Euro notes.
>>
>>56562107
>rusty needle
the stylus is typically made of diamond
>bakelite
contratry to popular belief, vinyl records are actually made of vinyl
>>
>>56561959
Not in the US. An iPad mini 2 is $199 and the reader is free and paid for by your transaction fee, which is 0.3-1.7% depending on how much you sell. But getting a dedicated old-school POS terminal costs upwards of a few $100s just to keep the service active and are also slow and dumb as fuck. Windows based POS cost more than $3000 upfront.
iPad POS is perfect for small business and shit, where a locked down piece of shit makes sense.
>>
>>56562107
needle vibrates on vinyl, vibrates in magnetic field, induces current, signal amplified, turned back into magnetic field, wiggle speaker diaphragm
>>
>>56562238
>>56562364
Stop complicating things, goddamn!
>>
>>56558147
>iPhone sending anything via BT
inb4 audio
>>
>>56557446
apple pay and those things are pretty much completely different.
if you own one of those things you are using it to receive money, not spend it (which is all apple pay is designed to do)
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.