[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright im probably just gonna be made fun off but im trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160911_181450.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160911_181450.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
alright im probably just gonna be made fun off but im trying to install arch and im getting this menu which doesnt give me any boot option (and doesnt even look like the screen in the tutorial im following). i tried just going with the first option and just follow the tutorial but the next step was to ping a website (google) to make sure i have an internet connection and when i do that i get the error "name or service not know". what the fuck am i doing wrong here?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
also this is what the tutorial's screen looks like
>>
Instal antegros onatall ubuntu or inatalll wondows again you are jumping in at the deep end without knowing how to doggy paddle
>>
>>56557284
never heard of antegros but i tried ubuntu before and hated it. also when i run the same exact iso in a vm i get the screen from the tutorial. does that mean i messed up during making a the usb?
>>
>>56557252
Top option should boot to livecd.
>>
>>56557438
laptop doesnt have optical drive
>>
>>56557252
>he fell for the arch meme
>>
>>56557967
yes i did. bow how do i install it
>>
Not sure but either you have secure boot turned on or you created an UEFI bootable flash drive. If there is secure boot option in your BIOS turn that off and use Universal USB installer to make bootable flash drive. Later on when partitioning, use fdisk and make MBR label. Create root, swap and home. On bootloader install enter the device name (dev/sda) not the partition (sda1). In any case its better to try it on a VM first.
>>
>>56557252
Top one is right
Your getting the error because you aren't reaching a name server
Boot into top one
Type "ifconfig"
Post results.
>>
>>56557252
JUST
JUST

okay just follow this three part fucking guide since you dont know the arch wiki or fucking google exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMkST5IjSjY
>>
>>56557252
Here's a handbook to help you install it:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
>>
>>56558370
Top Kek
>>
File: IMG_20160911_194709.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160911_194709.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>56558077
sorry for being late ifconfig results here
>>56558066
secure boot is off and using live usb installer fucks it up. used rufus instead
>>56558329
sorry for being a disappointment senpai :(
>>
>>56558392
please before you disappoint more people just follow the guide desu

it will take you ~3 hours, since you've probably never done this before
>>
>>56558392
1. Literally working exactly how it's supposed to
2. Fucking learn to Google
3. Reinstall Windows you don't know what you're doing
>>
>>56558412
i am. i was mainly confused because my menu looked different but now im generally less confused.
>>56558417
sorry? this is my first time installing a linux distro im gonna be making mistakes.
>>
>>56558490
>this is my first time installing a linux distro im gonna be making mistakes.
>>56557358
>i tried ubuntu before

Try mint or something. You're jumping right into the deep end.
>>
>>56558615
installing linux and throwing an iso in a vm aren't the same thing senpai. i also had mint in a vm. it was nice but nothing special. why is jumping in the deep end so bad? its how i learned most everything throughout my life
>>
>>56558768
Unless you are using IPv6, it doesn't look like your pulling an up from your dhcp server. You need to set up enp3s0 to pull an ip so you can get to the Internet. Else you won't be able to do anything.

I think your fine jumping into the deep end, but you probably need to read the guide more carefully. This is easy shit anon.
>>
>>56558938
yeah.. i just looked more shit up im pretty much going through it smoothly now. got wifi set up and finished partitioning and mounting etc etc. but thanks for the help!
>>
>>56557252
you need to connect to internet before trying to test

"name or service not know" means that you are not connected

to connect follow the links on wiki for wifi or cable

but honestly, if you didn't figured that out alone, don't try to install arch

but if you REALLY want to use arch, try to install it with arch-anywhere
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>56559060
yup i figured that out. wifi-menu while installing and after you install everything than you can set up wifi. at least thats what i understood from it
>>
>>56557252
don'T install arch if this is your first experience with linux. seriously just don't.
>>
>>56559307
well good luck, and pay attention when installing the boot manager
>>
>>56557252
If you're too stupid to not know how to deal with different boot options, especially for a rudimentary OS like Arch shows you lack the intelligence to be adequate in IT.
>>
>>56559722
>IT
wew lad. im just a wangblows user trying out linux. who said anything about IT?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.