[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will PCs be completely gone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10

File: 2jp4kwlpj6rxd1.jpg (91KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
2jp4kwlpj6rxd1.jpg
91KB, 700x525px
Sales are going down rapidly and there's a generation already who never used one
>>
I hope no one will post the photo of that stupid brat who's using the touchscreen instead of the laptop keyboard to type.
>>
kids will grow up not knowing how to troubleshoot technology
>>
>>56554129
When high-end hardware fits into laptop without overheating. But I was really surprised when my 10 years old niece talked about her first IT class that "had those funny big computers grandpas used to have".
>>
>tfw only one of my friends who still have a desktop computer
>"haha anon you're such a nerd xDDDDD"
>>
>>56554129
PCs will be with us for the next 10 years. And even then, they'll just be replaced by virtual machines for longer. The interface for interacting with touch Devices like iPhone, android, hololens, oculus are just far too immature at this point. I like iPads etc but they're primarily for consumption, not creation. Unless you like making pictures of cats and editing videos of your friend on their skateboard.

Can we seriously imagine turning up to work and only having an iPad etc to interact with for a long time yet?

That said, Machine learning, apps, 3D all pose a very interesting proposition... Just currently a v immature a set of tools.
>>
>>56554129
They won't because content creators (applications, videos, you name it, whatever) need actual hardware and actual operating systems to edit, compile and create things for those faggots that only use tablets and phones.
>>
>>56554265
I think desktops (or more specifically home servers) have a lot more life in them that laptops. The laptop should be a dumb terminal that you can log into to access a much more powerful machine (home server) that perhaps the entire family can use for their various individual interests. Virtual machines are great but too expensive and fragmented for family use. Windows server + chromebooks/ipads/androids is the way to go for the next decade... After that... It's all about saas/paas...
>>
>>56554265
>When high-end hardware fits into laptop without overheating

but there's almost no demand for that now.
computers were usually way to powerful for most anyways so the trend of manufacturing small devices that handle FB browsing, messaging and gaming just fine seems justified.
for extensive gaming needs, consoles will get shilled to hell and back even more.

it's a horrible thing for users who love having a powerful machine for affordable prices but I don't see how this will stay that way in the coming years.

I rather think that capable machines will go back to the "pro" sector, meaning you have to pay a shit ton to get an actual PC in the future.
>>
>>56554360
>The laptop should be a dumb terminal that you can log into to access a much more powerful machine (home server) that perhaps the entire family can use for their various individual interests.

>home server
That's cute.
You do know that all this is already a thing but not with home servers.
Ever heard of "cloud services"?
Also really convenient to get users to pay fees for usage instead of buying hardware every once in a while
>>
>>56554420
>After that... It's all about saas/paas...
>>
>>56554420
Cloud services are great but they're not economical at the moment. They're great services for individually managing photos, music, office documents but online services for programming, CAD, GIS, production services are a lonnnnng way away unfortunately
>>
>>56554208
That's fine by me. Puts me in a job.

Just knowing how to install Windows is seen as having advanced knowledge and warrants a living wage job.
>>
>>56554445
Sorry, was too angry about clouds at that moment.
>>
>>56554265
Can we have some pics of your niece?
>>
>>56554619
Haha cloud tech is a massive step forwards in terms of interface but jeez at the moment it sometimes feels like a massive step backwards from local/on prem solutions!! You're not alone...
>>
>>56554660
Seconded
>>
>>56554538
That feel when born too late land job just knowing how to use photocopier.

That feel when born too soon to land job just knowing how to install OS.
>>
>>56554737
But if you weren't born before then you wouldn't know how to do it. That's the point.
>>
>>56554129
Business desktops are forever and forever a nice deal refurbished
>>
>>56556066
>businesses
>not using laptops and docking stations
>>
>>56556140
>not getting a banging mini desktop for $300 with graphics slot
But I agree go with laptops when you can
>>
>>56554660
creep
>>
>>56556162
Where are the banging deals from bro??
>>
>>56554129
hu.. never ?

Even if kids are too dumb to notice, technology is getting more and more used/needed. Computers will always be there.
>>
>>56554129
Probably never. They'll become a niche product for enthusiasts and professionals but the desktop PC, as long as the current computing paradigm remains, will continue to exit.
>>
>>56558220
they thought the same of steam engines
>>
>>56558410
ok then what will replace computer ?

Are we going to program on hologram made out of thin air in the near future or something ?
>>
>>56558608
ever heard of those nifty things called mobile devices? they're not "PCs", you know?
>>
The same people who needed a PC in 1999 will still need them in the future. The PC as a passive media consumption device is dwindling.
>>
>>56554208
that's already the case. I was shocked when someone who was 15 barely knew how to fucking do anything. I was thinking that growing up with technology all day they'd smoke me or something but all they can do is post on facebook and instagram
>>
u realise phones are just pocket pcs right
>>
>>56559818
>The PC as a passive media consumption device is dwindling.
hence the prices will increase quicker, making people even less interested in getting one
>>
File: 1473436186743.png (494KB, 1000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1473436186743.png
494KB, 1000x2000px
>>56559948
PCs will return to their original use
>>
>>56559851
And waste their parents money wen yet bitch on getting the newest iPhone, not even using it to it's fullest potential. Yet will argue that it's superior to Android, when they don't even know why, apart from branding.
>tfw you're surrounded by normies who have never touched a CMD or used "sudo apt-get" in their worthless lives.
>yet they'll probably have a better life than I will.
>>
>>56554129
They wont. The computer market will go back to pre-internet days while people post instagram on their dishwashers.
>>
>>56560726
saved
>>
File: steve jobs ipad.jpg (77KB, 634x585px) Image search: [Google]
steve jobs ipad.jpg
77KB, 634x585px
>>56554129
>Sales are going down rapidly and there's a generation already who never used one
ipads, iphones and gaming consoles killed PCs. no one wants gigantic noisy boxes that warm up the whole house anymore.... just to browse the web, send emails and compose a document.

today, PCs are like trucks... very specialized and not many people need them. Pros will still use PCs for years to come but vast majority of ppl won't need trucks err PCs.

mobile killed the PC.

ps: my sister has never used a PC in her life. not even in school. she has seen them in offices and at the library but she never really used them. she also has no idea what Windows 7/10 is.
>>
>>56560969

Sadly she's one of those you can see in those idiotic "X react to Y" kind of videos.

>what is that?
>a floppy?
>like... what is that haha lmao
>>
>>56560969
Did your family not have a desktop machine in the house at all? I somehow refuse to believe she has had such limited exposure. Also, you can't do serious text editing on a tablet without a real keyboard of some sort.
>>
File: 2016-09-08 03.16.37.jpg (11KB, 206x83px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-08 03.16.37.jpg
11KB, 206x83px
>>56554129
a very american-centric thinking. places where people dont want to spend money on software will always have PC users. PC gaming is much bigger in eastern europe, latin america, etc.
>>
Everyone who is memeing about how PCs will die in favor of mobilecancer are the very same mobilecancer. If you seriously think content creation is even remotely close to viable on anything but a PC you're incredibly retarded.
>>
>>56560996
yeah, I've seen those kids react vids. fucking sad.

>>56561053
we did but my mom & dad never used a computer at home and I'm the only one in house with an actual PC. but no one touches it because it's passworded/encrypted/linux.

my sister is 11 years old.
>>
>>56559537
>they're not "PCs", you know?
They basically are, more and more. When your fridge will have apps and a desktop, you can keep calling it a fridge if you want.
>>
>>56554129
literal newborns?
>>
Same people said arcades would die but we still get like 10 solid full cabinet releases a year.
>>
>>56561096
Sadly enough most children nowadays have not touched PCs. It's all muh mobile.
>>
>>56554538
-- and they'll be using impossible-to-service "computers"
>>
>>56561086
My niece is 10 years old and has been exposed to Windows OSX and Linux. You need to step up your game.
>>
>>56561103
That sounds awful.

I mean I shitpost on the go for sure, but it's not pleasant. Browsing is so much more satisfying with a mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>56561103
i only know a few children (12, 11, and.. 9 i think are their ages)
they mostly play on xbox 360's and PC's, they use their PC's mostly, from what i've seen, for youtube videos and minecraft
>>
>>56554129
PCs will never stop existing.
A larger form factor will always facilitate more powerful hardware, and more powerful hardware will always facilitate bigger workloads, and completing those workloads faster.
The PC as it is today will simply become more of a niche as the average consumer uses a less sophisticated system for their daily web browsing and media consumption. Owning a desktops has never been the norm, and frankly the average person is too stupid to be using one.

Essentially this: >>56560726
This is shockingly accurate
>>
>>56561117
I use my phone to shitpost too, but the experience is MUCH better on a PC. It's more of a "last resort" thing if I can't take a laptop somewhere/be at my PC, rather have an inferior experience over none at all.

>>56561120
Which basically means they still use them as a media consumption device and have no idea how to use them beyond that. This is a use easily replaced by mobile.
>>
All those kids in this generation who will never touch a PC just means there always will be a lack of developer and programmer. I think it's a good thing.
>>
>>56561148
>Which basically means they still use them as a media consumption device and have no idea how to use them beyond that. This is a use easily replaced by mobile.
oh yea, they know fuck all about them, i'm just saying, they're using PC's

could they do the same with a console? probably, except the 12yo does play a couple games not available on consoles
>>
>>56561148
Minecraft is a good trojan horse to teaching children how to use computers. They see all of these mods on youtube and they want to play them. Once you stop helping them, they eventually learn how to do it themselves.
>>
>>56561214
>Once you stop helping them, they eventually bug their parents into forcing you to set them up
ftfy

i can't count how many i've set up so far, i swear he spends as much time looking for mods to install than using them
>>
>>56561148
>Which basically means they still use them as a media consumption device and have no idea how to use them beyond that. This is a use easily replaced by mobile.

exactly.

future looks grim for anyone who enjoyed being able to buy powerful computer parts in the consumer market cheaply.
when shit is getting PRO again, the fun will be over.
>>
>>56561214
>They see all of these mods on youtube and they want to play them. Once you stop helping them, they eventually learn how to do it themselves.
Bullshit. Maybe 1 in 1000 wants to actually do anything themselves. kids today have attention span of a goldfish.
>>
>got 20 bucks yesterday for clicking next a bunch of times in a W10 laptop/tablet hybrid to create an account, login into a microsoft account and install office and chrome
Tons of fun
>>
>>56561088
dumb
>>
>>56561233
I got myself into that in the beginning, but I absolutely wont help anymore and they all know it. You just have to be a dick and tell them no.
>>
>>56561283
problem is that the kids dad is my boss
>>
>>56561303
Charge your boss per mod. Seriously how did you get yourself into this predicament?
>>
>>56554129
When we can play Half Life 3 on our fucking iCuck or Pajeetdroid
>>
>>56554369
>meaning you have to pay a shit ton to get an actual PC in the future.
This is already the case.
>>
File: 1472880717359.gif (3MB, 491x704px) Image search: [Google]
1472880717359.gif
3MB, 491x704px
>>56554129
What about re-purposed server machines? Close enough?

Traditional desktop PCs might become a niche product though. Maybe mobos will be built with laptop parts in mind or something...

Or MAYBE (fantasizing here), PC hardware improvement will halt, but parts will continue to be manufactured to support niche market / 3rd-world country businesses. Everyone starts using the same hardware, everyone is on the same page. A growing online community emerges for improving *nix software without worrying about future comparability. Builds are standardized, minimizing the need for programmers to addressing compatibility issues. Desktop environments no longer throw out GUI features to make room for flashier and flashier "modern" effects and styles. Video drivers no longer need system-breaking updates. The eventual end of the desktop PC will be preceded by the great golden years of stability. However by this point, everyone will have already become a VR slave. We'll then be unknowingly living in a virtual world where the traditional desktop PC have somehow made a miraculous comeback.
>>
>>56560838
ignorance is bliss
>>
>>56560969
What the fuck are you talking about? I have literally never seen a "loud pc" apart from shit boxes at like Staples, which are the ones "falling in sales".

Macs are a dead meme. Laptops go either way, but only people with no knowledge of computer choose mac. Any user requiring any power will pick a PC. And since all the work is going digital, that shit's not dying ever
>>
>>56558410
Yet we still have those inside atomic reactors.
>>
>>56561100
Arcade is about aesthetics and experience. They belong to amusement parks, malls and nerd parties. Would a PC become something you use once in a month or week?
>>
>>56557241
t.roastie
>>
>>56561127
>average person is too stupid to use Windows 10
ew where did we go wrong?
>>
>>56561649
>where did we go wrong?
Advertisers saw the growing potential of the world wide web and capitalized on it be promoting as something for the common man. Home computers were a strange and foreign concept to most everyone in the early 90s. It should have stayed that way.
The internet should remain a scrutinizing place for the few. Leave the ignorant masses to their small walled in networks, limited access, limited exposure.
>>
>>56561120
>youtube videos and minecraft
Can confirm this. My 12-yo cousin spends all her day playing minecraft on a tablet, watching youtube celebrities shill their private pay2win minecraft servers and browsing a 4chan offshoot on some social network.
>>
Smartphones will get good enough you just need to connect a keyboard and monitor and youre all set
>>
File: 1471487261624.jpg (81KB, 720x594px) Image search: [Google]
1471487261624.jpg
81KB, 720x594px
>>56554129
>>56560969
>Sales are going down rapidly and there's a generation already who never used one

See, here's the problem, most people do just that: browse the web, create documents and send mail, they could have easily been deprived of technology and would have been the people who watched tv, wrote documents and made calls/sent faxes/sent snailmail.

However,
People who want to create graphics will use a pc.
People who want to edit and enhance photographs will use a pc.
People who want to edit and enhance movies will use a pc.
People who want to game, and are master race, will use a pc.
People who want to compile shit in under a day will use a pc.
People who code shit for all platforms will use a pc, even if just for testing purposes.
People who, for one reason or another, even pure vanity, require high end hardware will use a pc.
People who have low income will find a pc more afordable for it's performance than a laptop.
And, finaly, some people will still use one for nostalgia.

So not much has changed actually, just that the technologically illiterate masses have acquired a means to share in the technological revolution, albeit some 30 years too late at the hands of steve jobs, and they prefer a more simplified means for their more simplified minds... i mean needs.
>>
File: code monkeys simpsons.jpg (35KB, 535x342px) Image search: [Google]
code monkeys simpsons.jpg
35KB, 535x342px
>>56561732
>People who want to create graphics will use a pc.
Procreate or Autodesk SketchBook on ipad is more then adequate for that.

>People who want to edit and enhance photographs will use a pc.
Those are few. Instagram and Facebook killed those photo editing apps.

>People who want to edit and enhance movies will use a pc.
True but mobile's catching up;

>People who want to game, and are master race, will use a pc.
Yep. But consoles have eaten a chunk out of that.

>People who want to compile shit in under a day will use a pc.
Developers will always want a PC with a command line.

>People who code shit for all platforms will use a pc, even if just for testing purposes.
No command line = toy.

>People who, for one reason or another, even pure vanity, require high end hardware will use a pc.
# of those is extremely small.

>People who have low income will find a pc more afordable for it's performance than a laptop.
Chromebook killed that.

>And, finaly, some people will still use one for nostalgia.
Oldfags gonna oldfag.
>>
>>56554420
>Ever heard of "cloud services"?
yeah
they suck if you have anything less than 100/10
I run my own shit and it's just better than anything off the shelf
>>
>>56558410
piston steam engines were pretty shit, but a fuckload of the world's power uses water in some way
>>
File: Bait+dump+enjoy_6cbcaa_5923503.jpg (7KB, 326x179px) Image search: [Google]
Bait+dump+enjoy_6cbcaa_5923503.jpg
7KB, 326x179px
>>56561808
>Procreate or Autodesk SketchBook on ipad is more then adequate for that.
Nigga what?
I have to test this, brb, going to an architect buddy of mine to render a motherfucking house on an ipad. Don't wait up, it may take a few weeks.

>Those are few. Instagram and Facebook killed those photo editing apps.
Here lies Photoshop. Killed at the hands of Instagram and Facebook. He was a good software, father to Kim Kardashian's celebrity and inspiration to little girls around the world. He will be missed.

>Yep. But consoles have eaten a chunk out of that.
I said master race, not filthy console peasants or wretched mobile sewer scum.

>No command line = toy
You must not understand how software is tested. I won't bore you, however, if the software is designed for toys it is tested on toys.

>Chromebook killed that
Again with the presumption that everyone is as tech illiterate as you. Maybe that low income family wants a shitty piece of hardware that actually does something else than browsing, documents and email.
>>
>>56561889
>architect
you said graphics. not fucking CAD.

>Photoshop
Adobe has a mobile version of it. It's pretty good but it's not close to desktop one. but how many ppl need a full blown desktop version?

>You must not understand how software is tested. I won't bore you, however, if the software is designed for toys it is tested on toys.
stfu.

>>56561889
>Again with the presumption that everyone is as tech illiterate as you.
I'm not only older than you but have programmed in 10x more languages than you. stfu kid. the only one illiterate is you.

also, your overall comprehension is shit.
>>
>>56561978
>but how many ppl need a full blown desktop version?
Pretty much everyone who's even a little serious about it.
>>
>>56561889
>I have to test this, brb, going to an architect buddy of mine to render a motherfucking house on an ipad. Don't wait up, it may take a few weeks.
A standard DWG buildable house blueprint (~3200 sq ft, split level rambler, btw) will both display and render fine on a current generation ipad. This also includes material type selections, textures, and lightings.
>>
>>56561978

>you said graphics. not fucking CAD.
I said graphics because rendering outputs what? Text? It's not my fault that you assume everyone who uses a computer is a faggy artist who sketches shit on a crappy iPad screen with a crappy iPad pen.

>Adobe has a mobile version of it. It's pretty good but it's not close to desktop one. but how many ppl need a full blown desktop version?
You should not be this obvious with your bait.

>stfu.
Solid argument there chief.

>>>56561889
I already knew you were talking to me you redundant fuck.

>I'm not only older than you but have programmed in 10x more languages than you. stfu kid. the only one illiterate is you.
I bet that even as you type this you're behind seven proxies.

>also, your overall comprehension is shit.
Stfu. See what I did there?
>>
>>56562289
You're a liar and you should be stoned for your lies.
I recommend LSD.
>>
>>56554268
Did you show him your femenin benis?
>>
>>56554129
there will be always a big screen attached to a physical (or maybe digital) full sized keyboard

maybe the whole hardware will be small enough to be in the keyboard, like in all-in-one, but not as overpriced
>>
File: widescreen.jpg (35KB, 313x640px) Image search: [Google]
widescreen.jpg
35KB, 313x640px
>>56554154
Ok, I won't
>>
>>56562394
Ah jiz I want Commodore styled pc's back.
>>
>>56562466
what the actual fuck
>>
>>56562466
I did that a few times, mostly when I didn't have the proper tools to copy files or there wasn't something good to prop the phone up on
>>
File: 1422715294573.jpg (215KB, 901x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1422715294573.jpg
215KB, 901x1201px
>>56554154
this one?
>>
>>56563364
that's fucking retarded as shit.

Why are people so dumb?

That positions your hands/arms way worse, is FAR easier to fuck up what you're typing, and fucking forget about touch type...

Man, that's fucking cringey...
>>
>>56563364
>>56563397
Some shit touchscreen laptops had issues with the keyboard that would just fucking die and required cold reboots to power back on (normies would just warm restart and wonder why itz braken).

So picture this: mid lecture your shit craptop's keyboard dies. But it has a touchscreen. What do you do? Do you pull out pen and paper like a normal human being? Nope. You fire up the touch keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, shit's still 'tarded, but nobody is dumb enough to fat finger on half of their screen when a perfectly good keyboard is available.
>>
>>56563364
>when you use vim you never have to take your hands from the keybard!
>now you never have to take your hands from the screen
>>
>>56554208
They already don't. This blog post http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/ sums it up very nicely. For kids today computers are facebook machines, they have no idea how they work or how to troubleshoot them. Turning your computer off and back on is the equivalent of knocking on your remote when really you should be fixing the contacts in the battery tray.
>>
>>56563397
lol you sound triggered
>>
>>56563458
>>56563364
I got a 17.3" laptop with touch screen in it and I think all of touch screen laptop has a terrible keyboard. My ctrl key has been destroyed like wth. They don't probably like shortcutters.
>>
>>56563364
I do this all the time. I prefer the screen keyboard. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>56560969
>my sister has never used a computer in her life. not even in school. she has seen them in offices and at the library but she never really used them. she also has no idea what Windows 7/10 is.

What the fuck is going on in America? Jesus christ you're becoming dumber and dumber.
>>
>>56554288
this. touch interface is still too immature. ios/android still provide a limited (in comparison to desktop os) experience and until that changes, the PC will stick around.
>>
Honestly I've been thinking of getting rid of my PC and just using my laptop
>>
>>56564095
A laptop is still a computer, faggot. Are all american?
>>
>>56560969
>consoles killed pc's

how'd you think games are developed to consoles you fucktard
how do you think the whole fucking world runs without pc's?
how the fuck can you raise a child in total ignorance about her surroundings?
>>
>>56560969
10/10 this is the best bait i've seen the entire time i've been on /g/
>>
>>56554129
Eternal September of the PC market.
It's still growing at the same pace but the mobile market is growing an order of magnitude faster than the desktop computer.
>>
>>56563506
>http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
huh I was about to google and link that article. It was a good read when it came out and I agree completely.

Pull down menus were annoying to use but they taught you shit. This apple faggotry of cleaning up GUI should be reserved for people who know how to get the menus back in case something goes wrong. Alas, that's not how it is.
>>
>>56564121
A smartphone is a computer.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.