[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so, /g/ why aren't you using Visual Studio Community right now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: VS.png (107KB, 1874x1096px) Image search: [Google]
VS.png
107KB, 1874x1096px
so, /g/ why aren't you using Visual Studio Community right now?
>>
Because I'm using Visual Studio Professional.
>>
>>56552752
too busy using nano
>>
>10GB for program
>>
If your project has less than ten regular contributors, you don't need VS.
>>
Because you're not allowed to use it commercially
>>
File: 1473379897664.jpg (14KB, 321x312px)
1473379897664.jpg
14KB, 321x312px
>>56552761
>coding in your spare time on company property
>>
>>56552752
Because I don't work in .NET and you clearly aren't doing anything anyway Matt.
>>
>>56552752
>getting an IDE where the default theme is dark and then still deciding to switch to a theme that will make you go blind after 20 minutes of looking at it
what the hell, OP
>>
>>56552752
Shitty IDE compared to Jetbrains' IDEs
>>
>>56552809
Yes but it also has the ability to clone off directly into the IDE.

Also I've worked on solo projects that benefited from an IDE
>>
>"Solution Explorer"
Le_vomit_anime.jpg
>>
>>56552860
waiting on Rider so I can finally ditch VS lmao
>>
>asking us why we aren't using some arbitrary program under the presumption that none of us are and all of us must have some justifiable reason
>>
>>56552816
Bullshit, I've used it commercially (still do).
>>
>>56552809
Yeah, who needs unmatched code completion and debugging capabilities in a small project anyways, eh?

In the past I've used IDEs like JetBrains', Eclipse and text editors like Vim and Emacs. If you're going to write a program in a language supported by it (C#. F#, TypeScript, etc.), Visual Studio (Community and above, not that VS Code shite) is simply going to run circles around everything else.

Now, if you're working in Ruby, Python, Lisp or whatever, then anything goes, really. I personally hate Eclipse, think it's clunky as fuck but hey, whatever.
>>
>microsoft
No thanks
>>
>>56552752
can i use vs if i want to learn python?
>>
>>56552752
CLion
>>
>>56552818

>he never went to college/university
>he didnt have a dreamspark account
>he didnt get sweet Microsoft Products for FREE
>FREE
>>
>>56554662
Yes, but you are better of with Pycharm. Switch to VS when you are learning C#/F#.
>>
>>56553974
>wanting to ditch a C++/C# (tho I think VS is now fully written in C# apart from the SQL Server engine) written IDE for a Java shit IDE
>>
>>56554666
JetBrains makes the best IDEs
Sadly Clion isn't free.
>>
>>56554662
With Python, you're better off sticking to PyCharm or Vim/Emacs.

Unless you really want to do Windows Python development (IronPython) in which case VS would the better option.
>>
>>56554723
>discriminates a piece of software only for the language it was written in
>mfw
>>
>>56554383
Code completion is cheap nowadays, famalam. People just use existing tools as backends, i.e. clang. Literally just works in Emacs, albeit with the newer project and not the ancient one.
I was also arguing in terms of people using VS for everything with the added "language services". Obviously if you need to make Windows exclusive software you use Microsoft exclusive tools.
>>
File: 1470540454130.png (183KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470540454130.png
183KB, 400x500px
I dont think it runs on linux and I don't think it'd be good for java.
>>
>>56554799
do you have a problem with that?
>>
>installed visual studio again last week and it was 16 GB with all features I won't use disabled.

-_-.
>>
>>56555783
good luck trying to uninstall it
>>
>>56552752
That looks pretty nice but I'll never, ever be able to deal with debug as compile.
>>
because it's updating. also really nice to use with Unity Engine, fuck MonoDevelop
>>
Vim is better
>>
>>56554383
You're a fucking retard. VS is shit compared to things like Vim and Emacs. You're just too fucking stupid to learn anything else. I see you in these threads all the time and it's cringe worthy.

VS is shit. I seriously hope MS is paying you because if you do this for free you're pathetic.

Have fun being a virgin and jerking it to chinese cartoons!
>>
Because it doesn't run on my Linux system.

And even then, I'd only use it because the professors at my uni force you to use Visual Studio for their courses, since all they provide is Visual Studio solutions.

I like Clion, but dislike cmake.
I wish there was a Clion with regular Makefile support.
>>
>>56556232
>VS is shit compared to things like Vim and Emacs
lol ok kiddo
>>
>>56552752
I prefer capitalist editors.
>>
>>56554690
>FREE
>implying your soul has no worth
>>
>>56554690
reminder than when a product is free, you are the product
>>
>>56554193
You're confusing "having permission" with "getting away with it"
>>
I use vim because VS isn't capable of proper syntax completion. Intellisense is fucking shit for real world coding.
>>
File: 1446714016478.png (10KB, 236x360px)
1446714016478.png
10KB, 236x360px
>>56556232
you seem like a very angry person. i hope you make it through whatever situation has made you like this.

visual studio is a good ide, it doesn't mean you have to use it or yell at your monitor because other people use it.

please remember you're posting on an internet imageboard, you should try to not get emotionally invested in the software other people use, as it isn't healthy or productive.
>>
>mention visual studio during interview
>interview immediately ends

EVERY TIME

It must look really unprofessional to use Visual Studio at a real job. Guess it's just for hobbyists.
>>
>>56552752
Because I'm waiting for the "15" to be released.

Don't want to bloat my computer with a software, soon-to-be-old.
>>
Sometimes visual studio won't let me copy/paste until I restart. Sometimes code completion just stops and I can't get it to work again unless I restart. VS is like 64 gigabytes installed too. It makes my whole computer run like shit.

Vim just works, does everything VS does and more, and it doesn't slow my whole computer down.

inb4

>b.. but anon you just need a really powerful computer

I'M EDITING FUCKING TEXT FILES. I SHOULDN'T NEED AN SSD AND OCTOCORE PROCESSOR TO EDIT TEXT WTF MICROSHAFT.

It's gotta be embarrassing going into a job interview only know how to use VS and not actually knowing how to use the language you're writing without it.
>>
>>56552752
I'm a novice, so everything I program is pretty straight forward. VS has way too much going on for what I do.
>>
>>56556695
AHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH

>that pic

Do they have a menu item for every CLI command or something? It must be a cluster fuck to use.

If vim had a menu item for everything it was capable of the editor would just be endless menus.

VS is crippled compared to a proper editor like vim. Also it runs like shit.
>>
>closed source

Even if it was better than Emacs I wouldn't use it.

This is why professionals stay away from VS. Even internally at MS, VS is looked at as a toy project for kids.

VS (and Windows) is developed using a Linux system in editors like Vim and Emacs.

MS devs build things like visual studio in their spare time just as toys. Real devs use Linux.
>>
File: 1467070649753.jpg (102KB, 743x960px) Image search: [Google]
1467070649753.jpg
102KB, 743x960px
>>56552752
>Not Free as in Freedomâ„¢
>>
>>56552752
Cause I am a student and get Visual Studio Professional for free.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.