[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sbcg/ - Single-board computing general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

File: img4085.jpg (1MB, 3719x2524px) Image search: [Google]
img4085.jpg
1MB, 3719x2524px
Post your Pi, CHIP, or other SBC projects and/or project ideas!
>>
>>56550410
i have a rpi3 and i want another sbc any recommendations?
>>
>>56550423
Retro gaming machine, media server, learn programming, etc.
>>
>>56550423
Oh shit I misread your post. Thought you wanted project recommendations.

If you want a different SBC, go for a CHIP.
>>
>>56550410
I was planning on building a HTPC but realised that my needs would be much better with a Pi running android.

I have no experience with SBCs so I'm just curious as to how difficult it'd be to sort something like this out, or if anyone has any better recommendations for SBC than the Pi.
>>
>>56550848
no problem lad
Yea i was looking at the CHIP but it seems a bit underpowered but for that price who am i kidding? Anyone else have experiece with raspberry pi like devices like the banana pi or orange pi?
>>
>>56550888
Seems like a good question for >>>/diy/, because I have no experience with using the Pi as a HTPC, to be honest.
>>
>>56550894
I've ordered a CHIP, haven't tried the Orange or Banana Pi, but I might get them for the hell of it.

My PocketCHIP is set to arrive in October, IIRC.
>>
>>56550992
Yea i order for the hell of it as well lmao i think im going to pick up both the chip and the pine a64
>>
>>56551114
Just looked up the Pine64. Looks pretty sweet.
>>
>>56551891
Yea it does i've been eyeing it for quite some time and sadly that one that i want is sold out atm sadly but i will get it once it gets back in stock
>>
>>56551965
Sweet. So there are a few different models of the Pine? Haven't really looked into it. What are the main differences?
>>
Is Ci20 kernel development dead? It's been on Linux 3.18 for forever.
>>
>>56550888
I have a pi3 running OpenELEC.
I have not tried overclocking it, but stock it cannot handle HEVC (h265) at all.
I can run 720p h264 (~1GB) full length movies just fine, but 1080p (~3-6GB) will need to buffer very often.

So basically you can watch some low quality movies and might be able to get away with some high quality 20min television shows.
>>
>RPi 3
>still no real ethernet
>still uses USB for power
>>
>>56552227
Not even desktops can handle x265 now, encoding is a bitch and pre-mature. Use 10-bit x264
>>
i just want a low powered board that has usb3.0 and gigabit ethernet.
right now i am using a netbook as a file server.
would like to get something that uses even less energy.
>>
>>56552256
>Not even desktops can handle x265 now
my laptop with an i3 and integrated graphics can play it just fine.
>>
>>56552309
try uncompressed x265, not compressed lossy shit
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-09-11_20-37-09.png (639KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-09-11_20-37-09.png
639KB, 1360x768px
home server bruh, makes your life easier.. got my external drives attached to a hub on my rpi which is running samba, have my printer on it with cups, web server for dev, running sonarr and torrent server blabla, have another rpi2 attached to my tv running libreelec and another rpi3 that ill probably upgrade my server to
>>
>>56552256
10-bit doesnt really go well on arm
>>
>>56552323
>try uncompressed x265, not compressed lossy shit
wut?
>>
Have a cubietruck aka cubieboard3 collecting dust.
Do you know if there is a real, working, OS or are there only ISOs made my a random faggot?
>>
>>56550410
Router, Kodi box
>>
Laptop died its my current desktop
I feel super richard stallman since I emacs 9/10 of the time
>>
>>56552354
can you livestream 1080p from a rpi to desktop pc in real time without downloading the file completely from the rpi first ?
>>
>>56552592
I can watch 720p twitch livestreams with 0 problems
>>
>>56552354
what kind of file transfer speeds can you get?
i run windows7 on my netbook.
i have a simple firewall that whitelists USA ip addresses.
nzbget to download all my tv shows and movies
my ip cam uploads 10sec videos to it.
i also record OTA tv with it.
oh and plex.
that is it.
>>
>>56552608
my goal would be to use a rpi 3 as a usenet client with external hard drives and then watch the downloaded movies,tv shows etc on my desktop without having to copy the files in their entirety
>>
>>56552638
see this >>56552637
>nzbget to download all my tv shows and movies

thats what even i have on my rpi, sonarr downloads my shows and puts them on my external drive and i watch them on my laptop or tv that has another rpi with kodi
>>
>>56552638
It depends on what bitrate the file is. If it's not crazy-high you should do fine even with a RasPi as a server.
>>
>>56552831
you watch the files on the laptop by plugging in the external hard drive or by streaming them over lan ?
>>
>>56552873
all over the network mate

got a samba server up and running with 2 external drives that have my files, mapped them on windows as network drives, did the same with kodi on my tv so i can access from anywhere
>>
>>56552927
does it take a long time for the rbp to unarchive the downloaded files ?
>>
>>56551989
just more ram for some models
>>
>>56552983
dunno bout that, i set it all to work automatic, i just come back from work, check if some shows are downloaded and just hit play
>>
>>56550410
Cloud server to sync photos from phone, wifi hotspot, DC++ server for college.
>>
File: 732e706e67.png (736KB, 1056x720px) Image search: [Google]
732e706e67.png
736KB, 1056x720px
Anyone here use the Tessel? Its a Internet-of-Things board that runs node (javascript)
https://tessel.io/
>>
>>56553964
Is it as horrifically insecure as anything else IoT-related?
>>
>>56550410
I'm in the process of setting up my raspberry pi 2 as a vpn, first time i've made one.
Can anybody tell me if theres any issue to hosting DDNS on the raspberry pi that will be doing the workload of being the VPN?
Like i feel that since im going through the effort of having a VPN that it seems odd to have someone else sort out the DDNS for me, but would it have troubling issuing a DNS to itself?
>>
>>56554021
It might be more insecure, but the tradeoff is that its easier to use and customize compared to other boards that require you to read tons of data sheets
>>
What do you people use the GPIO pins for?
>>
>>56554353
I was going to use them for bartop arcade cabinet controls, but that was difficult as shit to get it to interact with RetroPie, so I bought some cheap GPIO-to-USB interface off of Ebay for like $9.
>>
>>56554224
I don't know. I'd rather have a secure, fairly easily customizable Raspberry Pi than an insecure, very easily customizable IoT board. The IoT is basically just a field day for hackers. (See: Shodan)
>>
File: IMG_20160911_223918.png (2MB, 1000x1744px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160911_223918.png
2MB, 1000x1744px
>>56550410
Scientific calculator, with incognites, functions and equation solver/simplifier.
>>
>>56554353
what do you mean 'you people'??
>>
>>56554410
Oh, that's cool as hell, Anon. I have a similar project idea where I replace the insides of one of my old TIs and use a Pi Zero to communicate with Wolfram Alpha.

Can you go into more detail on how you made yours?
>>
>>56554440
I made this project with Java.
For the interface i use an integer array that is arrived onto a custom swing jframe.
The screen is a better and cheaper version of the adafruit display, made by NeoSec.
The keyboard is made by me and behind it there are two ic that deserialize the raspberry output that scans a single column of buttons and serialize the data of the pressed keys for each column.
The expression parser is a bit slow, because it converts the line input into a tree of single function/number objects. Each object has the "calculate()" function that calls the children's "calculate()" function and returns the result.
Every number is a class called Term, that is a fractional surd made of BigIntegers/BigDecimals with even incognites. For this reason the result is often a surd or a fraction.
The resolution of an equation is divided in 2 steps: it simplifies it and then it solves it by using some common mathematical rules.
If you are interested in this project or you want the source code you can contact me using Skype (xdrake99) or Telegram (@XDrake99)
>>
>>56554922
Typo: the integer array is drawn onto a custom swing jframe when it refreshes.
>>
>>56554922
Sent you a message on Telegram.
>>
Best SoC if money isn't an issue?
>>
File: 1469822929153.png (188KB, 449x533px) Image search: [Google]
1469822929153.png
188KB, 449x533px
How do I access remote desktop preferences on my pi? I have linux NOOBS installed on it. I want to use a remote with it but can't find the option...
>>
>>56556435
Go with vnc. Or ssh
>>
>>56550992
What do you mean try an Orange Pi? It's been yanked, along with the likewise A20 based orange pi mini, and replaced with the Orange Pi Plus/2/PC/Lite/One.
>>
File: 1470053757213.png (75KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1470053757213.png
75KB, 400x300px
>>56556613
I installed tightvncserver but my "HippoRemote" program on iphone doesn't see it. I have no idea how to run it for it to see it. Apparently there is a nice menu in other versions of linux. How can I get something like that nice menu in my version?
>>
>>56550410
VPN + Pi Hole (auto updating adblock hosts files on my computer but this is for family or visitors) + NAS works well for me.
>>
>>56552275
How does a beagleboard X-15 not fit the criteria?

Hell, I'd get one as a replacement for a netbook myself if the GPU was more useful and if the CPUs were 60% or so stronger.
>>
>>56556412
Anyone? Only one I know of that might fit that criteria is the Edison or beagle bone black
>>
>>56557831
depends what you want to do. BeagleBoneBlacks awesome because it has i think 64 GPIO

If you're not going to be adding sensors and the like its worthless
>>
>>56550835
>retro gaming machine
this sounds like a good idea until you go through the hell that is actually configuring all of the controllers to work

>XBox One wireless
>not supported at all
>SNES30
>doesn't work properly without manually editing configs
>Xbox 360 wired
>mostly works fine out of the box, but the default N64 bindings are fucking retarded and you get to go through config hell if you want to solve the blinky light problem
>>
>>56552323
Using uncompressed x265 is like using uncompressed jpegs.

Why not use bmps at that point?
>>
>>56559741
>Xbox controllers
>retro gaming
Fucking disgusting. DS3's where it's at.
>>
>>56559741
retropie 4.0 is out, it has a default control scheme making it a lot easier
>>
File: runs quake... and quake.jpg (250KB, 1120x1080px) Image search: [Google]
runs quake... and quake.jpg
250KB, 1120x1080px
Which less-extravagant boards have better video? Is Videocore4 comparable to Mali-450? Is powervr SGX530 lousy all around?

Would any of these have a chance of running Nexuiz? Am I reasonable in assuming that they'd choke on Sauerbrated or Alien Arena?
>>
>>56559692
Probably no sensors. I'm thinking of getting one to make into a UMPC maybe for emulation or just fun. Anything in particular for that?
>>
where would you buy cheap, wholesale RPi Zero's online?
>>
>>56560545
seems impossible from the research ive done
>>
>>56560183
Well, Mali doesn't have OpenGL drivers and PowerVR doesn't have drivers for Linux at all. If you're OK using OpenGL ES, Mali isn't too bad.
>>
>>56552227
>>>56550888
>I have a pi3 running OpenELEC.
>I have not tried overclocking it, but stock it cannot handle HEVC (h265) at all.

Yes, it wont run h265. It would need hardware support for 265, which it doesnt have.

>I can run 720p h264 (~1GB) full length movies just fine, but 1080p (~3-6GB) will need to buffer very often.

What. Even the fucking raspberry1 could run h264 7gb 1080p films without stuttering. I have multiple rpi1's and two rpi2's, and I've tried multiple distros - all kodi/xbmc based distros have worked well with 1080p stuff.
>>
Did you experiencia troubles by having and gpio screen and you Connect yo your tv by hdmi ?
I want to automatically shut down the gpio screen when i Connect a hdmi and see only the tv screen
Have It actually resize the resolution?
>Fyi I'm using Recalbox on a rpi2

>>56560545
You can buy some second hand rpi2 and desolder anything you don't
I did It since I bought one for 10€, i think is worth the connectors and the hdmi that I needed instead of mini-hdmi

>inb4 sorry for my bad English
>>
been using an odroid-c1 for about 3 years now as an openelec/emulation box. it's standing on its last legs now, so I'm in the market for a new SoC. should I just get the C2 or look into something else? one thing that was miserable about the odroid is the lack of community, it didn't help having an impressive board with the specs that the C1 had when there were a handful of people developing for it.

I'm not going to be doing any physical computing on the board, so it'll just be a htpc or a server.
>>
>>56560787
So... that would make the Vivante processors the most powerful, accessible GPU SoC? Except of course Bobcat.
>>
>>56559741
I used an old iCade and rewired it using a GPIO-to-USB board.
>>
redpill on me intel edison boys
>>
>>56560755
yeah, apparently they don't sell the RPis wholesale for less than ~$10

>>56561039
>You can buy some second hand rpi2 and desolder anything you don't
since RPis in my country are scarce, they resell these things at higher prices...
>>
>>56565618
Hmm, just try to buy someone secon handed really, you can try it in internet too like ebay and something like that, any old raspberry (older than pi2) can be cheaper and better than a pi zero nowadays.
You can find for 20$ some raspi2 seconhanded wholesale for sure, maybe 15$ if you search well
>>
Simple question - has anyone here tried to run Skype on rpi?
>>
I'd go for Odroid Xu4 or C2
>>
>>56550410
I would like to make an alarm clock that can be set for different time each day.

Currently alarm clocks can't do this for some shit reason.
>>
>>56567184
you can do this in any android phone
>>
>>56567217
Is good to have a backup.

My android broke down once and I had to annoyingly manual set each night.
>>
>>56567031
It feels laggy and the linux' version of Skype can't make multiconvers with some updated skypes un other devices
>>
>>56559741
I feel like having to work/learn a little bit about your project is the point of SBC. Otherwise you could just use your laptop.

Your issues basically boils down to someone else hasn't done the work that you want yet, and you don't want to put in the work. Does that amount of entitlement weigh you down? Do you feel guilty about it? Or do you strive to live in a world where you know nothing and are spoon fed everything? Apple user?
>>
>>56567184
>>56567488

Even a pi zero would probably be overkill for this. Depending on how pretty you want everything to be, I'd look into some really cheap knockoff Arduino pieces.

Knock off Uno board - $2
Shit bread board - $0.50
Shit speaker - $0.15
Shit 16x2 display = $3
various other parts = $4

You're at like $10 total. Shouldn't be hard either, it's been done quite a few times. Just don't take it to school, people will think it's a bomb. (Unless you're a brown 12 year old, then it's fine cause you'll get to meet the president).
>>
>>56567657
You don't have to put raspbian or the adapted linux distros on the Pi. You can get android on there and use the Android version of skype. It's a bit better and would probably work out better for this type of project.
>>
>>56567978
I seriously needed this for my classes last semester, couldn't find a single alarm on line
>>
>>56567657
where did you get an arm build? i know people are saying they can run with exagear but you have to pay that and it works like shit.. also, devkit has been long gone..
>>
I have a home server based on an m-itx broadwell atom cpu with a passive cooler, but the ram stick is a separate 'board', does that count?
>>
>>56567108
you have the odroid? if so how long did it take to get shipped and to your door?
>>
>>56560545

I'm not finding any, but, locally micro center has them in shock so I just run down there when I need one.

I have a Pi0 powered by my router's usb port and an old USB/Ethernet adapter plugged into an OTG cable running as a PiHole and extremely basic web server

I have a Pi2 as a retropie machine with kodi in my living room. Just got the DVR functions working and are halfway through loading my roms (32GB SD card)

My first Model B is a whole house music player

My Second Model B is going to monitor my batteries on my solar array and small wind turbine

I have a spare Pi0 I got open box for $4 with no purpose yet
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.