[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ What's your favorite feature of /g/entoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: gentoo-g.png (16KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-g.png
16KB, 180x180px
Mine is the fact that it's not other distros.
>>
Mine's
sudo rm -rf / --no-root-preserve
>>
File: nothing-to-do-here.jpg (23KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
nothing-to-do-here.jpg
23KB, 500x375px
I like how it took me two days to install a functioning OS. Then I went to update to KDE5 with QT5 and it broke.
>>
>>56543725
The 97 hour install temporarily distracted me from thoughts of suicide
>>
flexibility and customisation
>>
>>56543725
The hardened project is my favorite feature. Also USE flags.
>>
>>56545512
Isn't hardened discontinued?
>>
>>56545518
What makes you think that? It doesn't say that on anywhere on the project page. The hardened-sources package still gets updates as well.
>>
>>56543725
PORTAGE
O
R
T
A
G
E
>>
>>56543725
My favorite feature by *FAR* is easily epatch_user

I can trivially backport fixes, patch out behavior I don't like or simply try out experimental diffs by dropping them into /etc/portage/patches. No additional hassle required
>>
>>56545854
>My favorite feature by *FAR* is easily epatch_user
THIS. I use it to ungoogle chromium.
>>
>>56545888
>He thinks he can ungoogle chromium
Nothing more hilarious than chromefags in denial
>>
>>56545926
Do tell how I can't make open source software do what I want it to.
>>
>>56545961
>he thinks he has the time and capacity to actually audit all of chromium's lines of code, for every single update
>>
>>56546215
No I don't. Where did I imply that?
>>
>>56546254
Not that anon but if you don't know what's in the code you can't really say you're safe.
>>
>>56546274
Might as well stop using computers all together then, right?

All I personally care about is that the project is open for public review. I strip all of the stuff out that phones home and that's about all I'm willing to do.
>>
>>56543725
> it's rolling release
> it's relatively stable, even on the ~amd64 branch - unlike that arch trash
> no systemd
I could even give up the advantage of having portage and all of that compilation jazz - if there was a distro that does all of those 3 things - I'd be immediately sold. The point is - a lot of this shit is not easily doable without compiling stuff. So, it's ok for me.
Wish list: would be really nice to be able to see portage with a couple of features from guile, in order to simplify the overall OS management.
>>
use flags & overlays
>>
File: 2016-09-11-155259_637x283_scrot.png (50KB, 637x283px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-11-155259_637x283_scrot.png
50KB, 637x283px
>>56543725
I like that I can get hipster cred in desktop threads.
>>
>>56548383
Great distro but I should point out RMS does not approve of Gentoo.
>>
>>56548412
Who cares. It's easy to make Gentoo completely free.
>>
>>56548412
he doesn't like gentoo linux, because it denies the influence of GNU.
this is gentoo linux PLUS GNU, as the screenshot tells you, so it's 100% fsf approved.
>>
>>56548412
but that's a positive thing
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.