[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Debian (specifically DE prepackaged live versions) not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: lines_web_logo.png (10KB, 260x113px) Image search: [Google]
lines_web_logo.png
10KB, 260x113px
Why is Debian (specifically DE prepackaged live versions) not seen as relevant when it comes to simple non-DIY distributions of Linux?

It does not detect many drivers itself and you have to look up what packages your desired drivers will be in for download/install, and there are a few other aspects that aren't as streamlined as other distros in usability. But that tiny bit of extra work you do is still very comprehensible. It's just a few more seconds of your time and you have a system that seems just as usable as Ubuntu or any other.
>>
It doesn't have a marketing machine or interest in having one.
It's always had a very "We're doing this for ourselves, but you're welcome to come along" ethos.
Whereas Canonical, RedHat, Novell, et al are trying to make a buck and therefore have a financial incentive to make it easy and advertise how easy it is.
Mint is kind of the exception, being a blend of the two, but seemingly without a financial incentive.
>>
As someone who is fucking around with a raspberry pi after doing pretty much nothing but Windows, if debian is indicative of how Linux normally is year of the Linux desktop is most assuredly never

Shit's annoying as hell
>>
>>56543022
>Mint is kind of the exception, being a blend of the two, but seemingly without a financial incentive.
>without a financial incentive

that's not accurate

see annoying "search enhancement" addon built into the Firefox install

even after being disabled it will re-enable itself after update
>>
>>56543111
I didn't even realize that. I'm using Debian/BunsenLabs, and the last time I tried Mint in a VM was like 3 years ago.
Sucks to hear.
>>
>>56543064
Debian is not a beginner's distro and it isn't intended to be.

Raspbian is not indicative of how Linux works on laptops/desktops. It still requires intermediate to advanced knowledge.

If you want to try debian out for reals, load up the netinstall iso in Virtualbox with >=2GB RAM, 2 cpu cores, and >=15GB storage. During installation, choose the Gnome window environment.

Fun fact, you can get good administration guides for beginners from the debian repo's (not just man pages).

apt-get install debian-reference debian-handbook
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.