[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hosting on uni network

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: owncloud-2.jpg (17KB, 497x371px) Image search: [Google]
owncloud-2.jpg
17KB, 497x371px
Hey /g/, networking noob here.

I want a way to sync all my files between my desktop and my laptop, whilst also keeping the files locally on each device. Looked at paid solutions but realised I'd rather host my own "cloud" so I have more control / because I don't want to give my files to the botnet.

Did some research and found out about owncloud. My plan now is to buy a raspberry pi and an external harddrive and create my own file server. (I know the bandwidth of the pi is terrible due to the shared ethernet and usb controller but I'm only going to be syncing small files so it isn't an issue).

My problem now is that I'm going to be moving to uni and using their network, which definitely won't allow port forwarding. How could I access this server over the internet with this in mind? Is there some way to rent a server and use it as a proxy between my computer and my cloud server over the internet?
>>
>doesn't want to give files to a botnet
>let's tunnel them through some complete stranger's proxy server

You colossal faggot.
>>
>>56539613
Buy a VPS. Just google it.
>>
>>56539697
Wouldn't tunnelling encrypted files be safer though? If I'm the one encrypting the files I know there's no backdoor, and the server will only see fully encrypted files, unlike cloud services which you upload unencrypted files to and trust they encrypt them properly.

>>56539750
Thanks anon, I'll take a look.
>>
>>56539750
How do webhosts even make money now that VPS are even cheaper. You can do almost anything with one.
>>
>>56541163
Be aware that since you don't actually own or house your VPS there is no requirement for a warrant for it to be monitored, inspected or siezed. An antagonistic party could simply poison your VPS with CP and you'd have no rights.
Why would anyone do this, you ask?
Because they need a credible patsy to carry their can.
>>
OP here, did some more research and I think i've found a solution. I found a VPN provider that supports port forwarding.

On their forums someone's posted a guide for hosting a minecraft server through them so a file server should work too.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.