[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help to get to Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: j.png (85KB, 336x384px) Image search: [Google]
j.png
85KB, 336x384px
How do I know my laptop cpu can actually run Linux?

I used to run ubuntu for a short while but it would always fuck up on bootup for some reason (maybe the mobile processor couldn't understand it)

I managed to fix it with intuition a few times but it happened literally every time i booted up and happened even when i tried reinstalling it multiple times with multiple usbs
>>
>>56533584

Pretty sure it works, you just need to wait for it to load from usb or wahtever you are using.

Unless you are using a really new Intel CPU, Then i would suggest you wait.
>>
>>56533584

That's just normal. On Linux nothing works.
>>
>>56533685
But I made a liveusb with an .iso image and made my os Ubuntu and it didnt work when i restarted or turned on because it would get stuck on initramfs or something like that
>>
>>56533584
maybe it's your GPU

for example I have a newer-ish HP laptop, and the screen just turns black after bootup. Linux is still running, but not displaying. My graphics card just isn't supported yet, and idk if it ever will be.
>>
>>56533739
That's the same laptop i use and this would happen to me: >>56533735
>>
>>56533706
Mmm, 2005 ,Those were the days...
Now most things work out of the box and I get bored.
>>
>>56533735
Laptop Model?
>>
>>56533706
This was true a while ago, but these days he should have no problems. I actually spent a lot more time getting drivers for Windows 10 that were already baked into the kernel of current distros.
>>
>>56533584
Linux runs on so many different systems, in fact more than windows. I'd be really surprised if you had a cpu that linux doesn't support. How about you tell us what laptop you're running?
>>
>>56533790
Hp pavillion

i3-3110M cpu
>>
>>56533798
here you go:
>>56533818
>>
>>56533818

Either your USB is dying or you fucked up the download and got a fucked up ISO.
>>
>>56533991
i did it multiple times with the ubuntu website official LTS version and different usbs

are you sure it isnt my laptop?
>>
>>56534050
Yes any Hp Pavilion with i3 should work(You still havent told me the Laptop model)

The only other thing i can think of is trying out memtest86 to see if your ram is going bad
>>
>>56534206
Hi, i think the model is: 15-e081ea
>>
File: E0XpcT7.jpg (82KB, 743x418px) Image search: [Google]
E0XpcT7.jpg
82KB, 743x418px
>>56534446
Can't find anything wrong with it. Use memtest86 to see if it has errors. If it does your ram is fucked. And then you'll need to start swapping ram sticks to see what works.

<--example of a memtest error
>>
The Apple MacBook with Retina display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>56533735
>But I made a liveusb with an .iso image and made my os Ubuntu and it didnt work when i restarted or turned on because it would get stuck on initramfs or something like that
If you don't report the error message, expect no help ever.

t. tech support
>>
>>56534888
Sorry, this was months ago and i made multiple threads at the time and no one could help me, i really want to go back to linux

>>56534811
thanks ill do the test
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.