[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NAS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

So I have a RAID 1 setup at the moment, inside my PC. If I get a NAS like the one in the picture, will I be able to plug 3 additional drives of the same size and create a RAID 5 based on the already existing content of my drive?
>>
>>56530525
You can always copy the contents to the new array, you know that right?
>>
>>56530543
I sure do. But ideally I wouldn't have to wait for the ±4TB to go from one side to the other. They would already be there.

The idea is to pick 1 of the 2x4TB (RAID 1) and place it on a 4x4TB (RAID 5). Would that work?
>>
>>56530569
>Would that work?
No.

Sorry but you will have to copy the data.
>>
>>56530544
>>56530592

How would you do this?
I want to avoid having 1 perfectly good 4TB drive being unused...
>>
>>56530610
upload it all to OneDrive then copy it back to your newly made raid
>>
>>56530592

> buy 2x 4TB drives
> format 1 one of the already existing 4TB drives
> insert the 3 drives in the NAS
> make a RAID 5 (8TB)
> copy all the data to the new array
> format the remaining drive
> add the formatted drive to the array (12TB)

I'm unsure about the last step, would that work? Can I add a new drive to an already existing array?

>>56530627
Not enough space/time
>>
>>56530657
raid considered obsolete anyway, just use LVM spans
>>
>>56530672
I'm not on Linux btw
>>
>>56530710
Windows has spanned volumes as well
OS X has them

If you're using anything else it probably supports it and if not probably doesn't support raid either
>>
>>56530672
It's only obselete to the autists who can change their filesystems every week. For the normal user, RAID works good enough and is easy as balls to set up.
>>
>>56530848
For this usage, it's obsolete.

RAID5 isn't a good consumer technology. You're much better off deploying LVM techs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.