[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Productivity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1468786798437.jpg (91KB, 629x419px) Image search: [Google]
1468786798437.jpg
91KB, 629x419px
Where are people more productive in general, Windows or Linux?
>>
>>56527128
In the office
>>
>>56527128
Linux definitely. Much less random diversions or popups, all libraries are usually a breeze to install and starting something is not as much of an barrier.
>>
Productivity starts with you, not with what you're using.
>>
It doesn't matter. If you're shit employee you will waste your time as well on Linux as on Wimdows.
>>
>>56527146

gay
>>
>Linux
>OS breaks
>reinstall without loosing home if its in a seprate partition
>one line of command line to install applications you need
>Windows
>OS breaks
>have to copy everything back in after fresh install
>then need to reinstall browser and antivirus
>>
>>56527142
>>56527260

Doesn't mean shit when the software you need to work isn't even on Linux. Windows is the apex OS of productivity and professional work, don't delude yourselves.
>>
>>56527293
Yes, buit it depends on what work. Both Linux and Mac have programs to code. OP was never specific in what type of work and I was assuing it was work that can be done on both.
>>
>>56527329
Pretty much this, I work in a small team developing software in C#, would love to work from my Fedora box but its just not realistic, the amount of fuckery it would take to try and see if Mono could manage a project like that isn't worth it.
>>
I'm a fan of OSX. It has a good terminal and is way more stable than trying to run a window manager on Linux.
>>
>>56527393
I used osx briefly for about a month and the WM was good, the only problem i had was i couldn't get it to snap to the corners or do tiling. Which Windows can barely pulloff but atleast its there. Oh and also it didn't natively have a 'Stay on top' feature for windows.
>>
File: fake-kernel-panic.jpg (60KB, 619x341px) Image search: [Google]
fake-kernel-panic.jpg
60KB, 619x341px
>>56527393
I'm not a fan of anything, but Linux have a bunch of good terminals and stable as your package and distro choice. Yea. Muh freedom, but you can be productive if the OS is stable and don't get in your way.
>>
File: 1447836446805.png (1MB, 939x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1447836446805.png
1MB, 939x1284px
>>56527128
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>56527768
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>56527128

whichever one has the software that the user is most productive with.

the OS should get out of the way, and let you use your programs. Linux is better than Windows in this regard, but if the software you need is only on windows, you will be more productive there.
>>
>>56527293
We have managed clients at work, so Windows 7. Mostly I use Putty, since I'm an admin, which is quite the crutch compared to already being on a *nix machine.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.