[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Thinkpad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 81t4FBR4KlL._SL1500_.jpg (147KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
81t4FBR4KlL._SL1500_.jpg
147KB, 1500x844px
Hey /g/

Finally reasonably in the market to get a new laptop- new job, need to travel.

I used to have a T61p for about 7 years until it up and died after a flight, but it was my favorite thing until then. I'm looking for a replacement, though it seems none are like that anymore, keyboard or otherwise.

Is there any current model that would be good to look at? Around the $1500 range on Amazon I see a few, most differing on the SSD or the GPU in the upper range I guess.
Sadly I'm in a bit of a time constraint (hence Amazon), so I need to get something quick, and figured I'd stick with Thinkpad if the're still viable.

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks
>>
No reason to shell out that much cash on anything that you're not gonna be gaming on. T420 with upgraded RAM and CPU as you see fit is gonna be your best bet.
>>
>>56525801
Well, might do some gaming on it if it has to be a desktop replacement for a serious portion of time (which it might). My other thought is if using it for work things, which would be some heavier rendering and modelling, so not sure
>>
>>56525801
I got just a T430 with I-5 ivy(2.60, 8 gig of ram, 320 gig ssd for 270 on newegg.
>>
>>56526251
Getting refurbished,or...?
My only other worry is needing to use it for everything, and then wishing I had gone big.
>>
>>56526272
It was refurb but was pretty good condition honestly, came with a 9-cell battery(bulky but efficient)
>>
>>56525801

Do you want him to get eye aids?

Get at least a T440. The 430 and 420, both very popular here (I'm typing this on a 420), have dogshit 1600x900 TN panels, and there are no viable swaps. These screens really are horrible.

If OP is willing to blow $1500, he should get a T440 or T450 with a 1080p IPS. He'll save a good chunk of that budget and have a MUCH more modern feeling machine.
>>
Keyboard is mechanically the same as far as spacing, travel, and physical switch.

You get used to the different layout after a day or so and the extra surface area of the keys is almost immediately beneficial for accuracy and speed.

That said, the T series still has magnesium roll cages and carbon fiber reenforced polycarbonate.

You can ignore autistic backlash about the quality because it never went down.
>>
>>56526296
Might end up doing this if only for temporary I guess
>>56526309
Anything wrong with the higher-end/newer ones? I rather have a more full size if I need it to be more than a laptop (still not sure on how my living situation will be for a while), though I did use my T61p as such way back
>>56526360
Thanks. What do you think about the more... upper-tier ones? I don't /want/ to spend more money, I just hate the idea of wishing I had to get something better and sitting with something that feels underperforming. I also know nothing of current value/options, I guess
>>
>>56526384
I know you are time constrained but I seriously suggest considering using the corporate perks portal with the password PERKS*WORK
https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/perksoffer/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=perksoffer
Generally you will see 25%-35% off and sometimes 40-50% just before they announce new models.

Also if you decide to buy an older model I suggest buying refurbished from outlet.lenovo.com as you will still get the superb next day on site service warranty.
>>
>>56526360
>>56526424
Shut up, stupid clown.
>>
>>56526424
Hmm, maybe I can find one that would ship before I have to go. Any recommendations for model series or such?

>>56526437
Sorry?
>>
>>56526384
I recently bought a T460s from the Lenovo Outlet store and I'm absolutely loving it. Windows 10 is annoying but the most irritating features can be disabled.

I'm one of those people who feels at least a tinge of buyer's remorse after any big purchase, but not with my T460s. Anyway, there's a lot of great ultrabooks on the market right now so I can understand your hesitation.
>>
>>56526465
Really depends on what you need, you said you do rendering work so probably one with a dedicated Nvidia GPU. If you still want it to be fairly portable the T460 would be good.

If you want to be able to sketch the ThinkPad Yoga has a Wacom AES digitizer and pen that docks into the laptop and recharges.
>>
>>56526504
Ah, thanks for the thought. I'm sure I'll have to bite the bullet with just something soon, though (un)fortunately it's the weekend so they wouldn't ship now anyway.

>>56526512
I could only find one within the 460 line with a discreet card- seems it only becomes more normal on the P50 line? No clue.
Being able to sketch on the thing itself might be useful, but I normally use a huge Intuos so not sure if I'd need/want that. Something to consider though, thanks
>>
File: T460p nigga.png (62KB, 846x639px) Image search: [Google]
T460p nigga.png
62KB, 846x639px
>>56526309

OP if you're willing to spend $1500

Use the Lenovo Discount code and get this if you want new.

It has a quad core cpu and dedicated gpu, it should easily serve as a desktop replacement.

>HDD and 4gb of Ram

Done on purpose so you can buy it separately and not pay jewnovo prices.
>>
>>56526570
The Yoga gets pricey with the P50 and dedicated Nvidiai card, I wouldn't get that unless you need the wacom.
>>
>>56526577
Not a bad idea. Adding the SSD and RAM through a quick search would be 150 to 200, which I'm guessing is much less than they want

>>56526594
Yeah, kind of figured.

Dumb other question- does 7-9 business days mean 7-9 business days? From Monday, that would be cutting it super close if not missing it
>>
T460p with HDD, buy a cheap 500gb SSD on amazon
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.