[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 43

File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>
File: Capture.png (110KB, 1918x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
110KB, 1918x1042px
So I've found that Code::Blocks is nice enough to provide me with OpenGL boilerplate code, but not nice enough to have inbuilt documentation on each function.
Any way I can change that?

Also, should I set sleep to 16.666 or something?
>>
File: 2016-09-09-211903_648x559_scrot.png (74KB, 648x559px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-09-211903_648x559_scrot.png
74KB, 648x559px
the company I work for offers "career advancement opportunities" which includes IT internships for current employees

in order to be considered, you need to write a Letter of Interest/CV and submit a resume.

I've never written a Letter of Interest before. Can you guys give it a once-over and tell me what to fix? It's not done yet, I need to write the concluding paragraph but otherwise this is the rough draft
>>
File: 1424469725246.png (1008KB, 900x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1424469725246.png
1008KB, 900x1152px
>>56523246
Two MSI R390x or two XFX RX 480 for quad screen and BF4 gameplay?
>>
>>56523370

Give some specific examples of what you have done, not just "I have experience in X" or "I helped my teach in Y Class".
>>
>>56523382
One RX480.

Crossfire/SLI is a bad idea, atleast for now and a long time.
Sometimes it even gives worse performance.
>>
Just ate some dried Shitake mushrooms and read the label.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>56523447
Waht? why would you be fucked? that practically food
>>
>>56523598
It had a warning about eating mushrooms. Kinda got paranoid after a double take.
>>
>>56523178
I'm not sure where to find them, apparently it's tied into the wireless care drivers. "If wifi works, bluetooth should work" the forums say.

I hit the Fn+F5, which bring up the wireless menu, but only wifi and airplane mode pop up.
>>
>>56523382
neither. dual GPU is shit. get a 1080 or wait for RX 490

>>56523709
there should be some software suit from lenovo i think, if not check device manager to make sure your bluetooth shows up without errors.
>>
File: Phlies Phucking.jpg (24KB, 320x264px) Image search: [Google]
Phlies Phucking.jpg
24KB, 320x264px
Does anyone happen to know what version of utorrent introduced ads? or a decent version from before they brought in the ads?
>>
>>56523764
2.2.1 was the last safe one.
Dont use uTorrent anyway.
>>
>>56523764
2.2.1 was the last good version but may or may not be botnet.
If you want to be sure get qbittorrent or something
>>
I purchased a Nvidia GTX 680 video card for my 4,1 Mac Pro. On the card there are 6-pin and 8-pin ports. I am confused as to exactly what sort of power cables to purchase. Am I to buy a 6-pin PCI-E to male molex and 8-pin PCI-E to male molex cables?
>>
Don't know if this is the place, but i fucking hate iphones/pods all that shit. I just want to put comics on my ipod and read them at night. It will not put them in order regardless of name/ page number , order i put them in, in the folder. It always shuffles them around when i sync it with itunes. is there ANY way to make sure they're in order. Using a PC btw
>>
How do torrents actually work?
I understand that the seeders are uploading parts of the file online, but where exactly are they uploading it that I can download from?
From my understanding when j download a torrent I'm not making a direct connection to any of the people seeding it.
>>
>>56523893
yes for both
>>
Is it still possible to be a programmer if you are blind?
>>
>>56524015
http://fossboss.com/2016/07/18/meet-ali-abdulghani-blind-programmer-working-field-open-source/
>>
>>56524015
I don't see any reason why not, but it will probably be significantly more effort and slower than a sighted person doing it.
>>
>>56523974
you download a .torrent file from a website

for the files themselves you are using the torrent client to connect to a swarm of people who also have those same exact files and you're downloading pieces of it from as many people as you can connect to
>>
On the /sqt/ thread yesterday, I asked about the error 255 with IIS / .NET
Well I figured it out.

If you have the "FIPS Compliant Encryption" setting enabled (meaning it disables all encryption methods except those FIPS-compliant), it breaks shit.
>>
>>56523795
>>56523795
Thank you gentlmen
>>
>>56523893
Is your OS compatible with Nvidia graphics cards?
But yeah you need one of each molex, or two molex two 6+2pin pci-e power would be more convenient.

>>56523974
https://www.google.se/search?q=how+does+torrent+work
>>
as someone looking to switch from chrome/chromium to firefox:
1- how is video playback?
2- what is the difference between Stable, Beta and Developer? The later too state they send user info to Mozilla, anyone knows what?
>>
I'm on a new PC

what torrent client should I get ?
>>
>>56524122
1. same as on chrome
2. official release, beta test, alpha test. stable has less bugs and issues. the other two may have new features but may or may not be buggy.

>>56524172
qbittorrent
>>
>>56524172
If windows qbittorrent
If Linux then either transmission or deluge. They're pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>56524182
so, if I don't need the Developer Edition tool, I might as well stick to beta or stable?
>>
>>56524205
Use developer or nightly.
Check the Firefox guide on logicalincrements.com for how to properly configured/customize it.
Yes, nightly is perfectly stable and it never crashes.
>>
File: file.png (100KB, 396x303px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
100KB, 396x303px
How does PC game optimization work? Do you really need to test and optimize for hundreds of CPUs and GPUs? If so, then how can older games work just fine on newer hardware, despite not being officially supported?
>>
>>56524275
Games usually aren't tested for specific hardware configurations. Usually it would only be divided up into Nvidia/amd, maybe even between i3,i5, and i7.
Older games still run fine because hardware today is much better than it was when those games came out.
>>
>>56523370
tell them that you are an active member of the technology board /b/
>>
>>56524293
I assume most of the optimization would be done on the GPU side, to accomodate AMD and nVidia chipsets. For example, on the nVidia side, you'd have to optimize for Kepler chipsets, Maxwell, and Pascal, not necessarily for each individual card, right?
>>
>>56524172
qBittorrent or transmission-qt for windows
For guhnoolonix, try transmission for gtk or qbittorrent for qt; if you're comfy in terminal, rtorrent + tmux is fantastic
>>
>>56524317
Yeah it's more like that. Games aren't tested for specific hardware, but categorically.
>>
>>56524314
should I let them know I'm a furry too
>>
>>56524340
you might want to leave that one out
>>
Are the GTX 1060s going to get cheaper than $289 USD any time soon? The real ones, not the "mini" ones or weird, gimped ones.
>>
>>56524335
And I assume that on the CPU side, it's essentially 'brute forced' since theoretically all CPUs behave the same, an AMD doesn't work much different from an Intel one, despite performance differences. To optimize for AMD would either mean multi-core support, or making the codebase itself lighter to run, which in turn would boost Intel performance, right?
>>
>>56524182
>>56524204
>>56524331

any recommended tweaks for qBitorrent
>>
>>56524275
>>56524317
Consoles are optimized for the exact hardware specs, but for PC gaming, it's a simple matter of competence and adherence to standards. Even with the resurgence this decade, gaming on computers still isn't even close to as popular as on consoles, so PC versions of multiplatform games are often an afterthought and reuse code from the console versions. '

Simply put, when they care, you get Rise of the Tomb Raider, but when they don't, you get Batman: Arkham Knight. On rare occasions it's reversed for devs that prefer to develop computer games instead of console games; this is why Valve's first console versions of games were horrible.
>>
>>56524376
Enable the setting where it connects to a different port every time.
I think there's one other option to better anonymize yourself, but I can't remember the name.
Other than that, there isn't really much to change.
Maybe limit upload speed if you don't want to seed.
>>
I plan on setting up a file server for my office. There's only 20-25 people in the office, so it wouldn't be super demanding.
Can I put the file server on a VM without sacrificing too much performance?
>>
>>56523246
Need to do this:

you just need to change the value of "androidboot.hardware" parameter in the grub command from "Android_x86" to "x86". You can do this by pressing "Tab" in the boot menu or by editing "isolinux.cfg" file on the installation ISO Image.

Okay, I pressed Tab but how do I change the value?
>>
Should I pull the trigger on this one /g/?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15Z-002T-00DJ2

Seems like a pretty good price, I don't really care to spend extra money for a higher resolution or refresh rate than that. I've had solid experiences with refurbished monitors in the past, too.
>>
>>56524376
be sure to set an alternative network speed so you can quick-change it before playing vidya or something, it's useful as fuck. also take a look at how it downloads torrents in case you want to be able to autostart them by saving the files or something.
>>
>>56524394
>Consoles are optimized for the exact hardware specs

Not anymore they are, but I get what you're saying. I'm honestly impressed that the 'console code' works at all on PCs in the first place.
>>
>>56524467
Yes, specifically if you do passthru.
>>
thinking about upgrading my monitor situation. i have two 1080p monitors and a 2560x1080 which i play games on. i am looking to move to 2x 2560x1440 monitors and maintaining my 2560x1080. would the difference in resolution on the 2K monitors significantly affect the performance of my 980 Ti on the ultrawide?
also, any monitor recommendations for pref 25" @ 2560 x 1440?
>>
>>56524503
response time is a bit high for games but otherwise a decent deal
>>
>>56524491
Anyone know? I'm desperate
>>
>>56524503
As a secondary monitor would be fine.
As a gaming/High detail monitor? not so much.
>>
Anybody here use Excel or Access? I've been having a faggot of a time for about a week trying to get some shit working, and I'm about to fucking hang myself if I can't figure this out.
>>
>>56524575
>>56524588
hmm, thanks
I was going to use it as a primary monitor but didn't want to spend too much. I don't game often but I like good detail when I do.
>>
>>56524633
detail is probably good, it's just fast paced games (FPS mostly) that can get issues and screen tearing
>>
What laptop is best for coding and gaming? (I need a laptop since I'm taking coding classes and the only games I really want to play are WoW and maybe little indie games. Nothing too intensive.)

[spoiler]thank you[/spoiler]
>>
How do I emulate this with POSIX read (without -d):
read -rd"~" response
Line 1

Line 3

Line 6
~$
$echo "$response"
Line 1

Line 3

Line 6
$

I tried this but it didn't keep the spaces
while true; do
read -r input
[ $? -ne 0 ] && break
[ ! "$comment" ] && comment=$(printf "%s" "$input") || comment=$(printf "%s\n%s" "$comment" "$input")
done
>>
>>56525194
Get a used thinkpad.

900p T400 if you want to study.

X220 IPS or 900p T420 if you want to play games.
>>
How do matrices usually work in a WebGL project?
Do I ideally rotate and translate matrices only with the vertex shader, and create a new matrix for each 3D model?
>>
I'm rooting my old HTC One XL, and after fucking around with it all morning I've finally arrived at the final stage, of TeamWin Recovery. The problem is there's a strip a few pixels wide on the right side of the screen that doesn't respond to touch, so I can't swipe to confirm the installation of the new OS.

Is there any perceivable workaround to not have to swipe, or even to rotate the display so I can swipe somewhere that responds to touch.
>>
What's the best monitor for gaming under 115 dollars? I have my eye on a 110 dollar BenQ, but still kinda hesitant. Any suggestions?
>>
>>56525482
Nothing, increase your budget and get a Asus VS239H-P for $130-135.
>>
Is there going to be a Surface (not pro) 4? Or am I safe to buy a Surface 3 right now?
>>
>connect Bluetooth headphones to PC through adapter
>Remove headphones from adapter list
>Try and repair them
>Won't work
>Headphones will pair to phone
>Phone will pair to PC
>PC and headphones refuse to pair

I don't even fucking understand. Where the fuck do I begin with this.
>>
Does anyone have any pdfs, pics, guides, links for making yourself as anonymous as possible?
>>
So I overclocked my system bus speed from 100 to 103 because my cpu is locked and I needed that little extra push for a couple cpu heavy MMOs I've been playing. It seems stable but my first question is, will this cause any long term damage to say the hard drives or the ram? is it really worth it in the first place?

second question is, can I squeeze any extra frames out of my system by turning off/on shit in AMDs driver options? is there any settings you'd recommend?

running an r9 290, an i5 4460 (currently @ 3.5ghz), and 8gigs of ram, murders most games at 1080 but seems to be struggling with a lot of MMOs - Black Desert Online in particular atm.
>>
File: 1280x720-7yL.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-7yL.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
I'm dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, and want to get rid of Ubuntu.
If I make a recovery drive for W10 right now, will I be able to fix the boot manager after I remove the Ubuntu partition?
>>
File: 124123.jpg (10KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
124123.jpg
10KB, 299x168px
>>56523246
The new kaby lake generation will be compatible with the socket 1151 Skylake architecture?
>>
>>56525710
Want better perfomance? get better parts.
>>
can i get tails onto a 4 gig flash drive, or does it have to be larger? anyone have experience using tails in general?
>>
>>56525737
Probably no.
>>
>>56525732
I had a problem myself doing that(exact same situation).

I want to know answer to this.
>>
>>56525620
https://www.privacytools.io if you haven't already gone through this site
>>
>>56525748
that's the thing though, if it were all games I'd agree and save my pennies, but it's pretty much just for this one game I need a little push.
>>
How do I get webm thumbnails to appear? I don't use vlc btw.
>>
>>56525766

Thank you
>>
Just installed qbittorrent, the search keeps coming up with (showing 0 out of XXX) on results. How do I get it to show all the results?
>>
>>56526045
Never mind, figured it out, I'm retarded
>>
>>56525732
>>56525765

Yeah, all you need is a windows PE to boot and recover with. This has the tools to do it automatically

download.cnet.com/Lazesoft-Recovery-Suite-Home/3000-2094_4-75749925.html?part=dl-10055229&subj=dl&tag=button

Or you can manually create the boot files using easybcd

http://windowsmatters.com/2016/05/13/gandalfs-windows-10pe-x64-threshold-2-build-10586-version-05-13-2016/

>>56525868
Install K-Lite Codecs
>>
is ti feasible to use youtube like a private media server?

>upload terabytes of movies/tv shows
>organise seasons and such into playlists
>ensure it's all private/unlisted
>profit?

Not really concerned about HD since I'd only be streaming to laptop or my phone. But do youtube still do copyright sweeps of private and unlisted material?
>>
File: david-miscavige-800.jpg (214KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
david-miscavige-800.jpg
214KB, 800x600px
How do I parse a large txt file in JS? In Python, this is easy. I import the file, and make it an array (or list).

How do I do this most efficiently in JS. It does not strike me as efficient to have an enormous textfile in the same place as my HTML content, CSS presentation and basic scripting lay-out is.
>>
>>56526347
Interested in this also.
>>
>>56526347
Maybe if you can skirt the initial copyright material scan, don't see how you could be sent a dmca notice if nobody can see the video.
>>
I have both a Pi 0 and a Pi 3. I have recently got serious about my data backups, and will be uploading some drives (2TB or so) and then downloading quite a bit in my effort to turn what I have physically to digital. It's going to be offsite, I'll only be checking on it/updating stuff about once a week, and I expect it to run for a month or so, then less from there on out. Is there any reason for me to use one or the other? Any problems I might run into doing this?
>>
Is there a way to remote into another machine and have it perform close to a native machine? They're both wired into the same network
>>
File: HW30s86.jpg (865KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
HW30s86.jpg
865KB, 1813x2111px
Some little fag yelled at me for liking nvidia. He kept saying amd was better and i was trash for liking nvidia. Anyone have reasons why nvidia is better than amd?
>>
File: tiny-monitor-520120.jpg (20KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tiny-monitor-520120.jpg
20KB, 400x267px
I'm looking to get some small monitors for my computers to always display computer information such as cpu/memory/disk/etc usage as well as temperatures. Any of you do this? Not sure what to use. Could possibly use an old phone if i can find one that's not cracked but that's possibly too small.
>>
I'm using a broke monitor with my laptop for monitor speakers. I have to connect the vga to laptop in order to use the monitor speakers(monitor is on). Will this break my video card?
>>
>>56526444
yeah i figure you copy mirror the media to bypass copyright, if that still works. Then simply have your player flip it it again for normal viewing
>>
>>56526627
I've seen some super small monitors, around the 7" range, but I don't honestly see the point. That's not information most people need to look at on a regular basis, and monitors that small don't tend to be very cost effective.
>>
>>56526627
The cheapest smartphone is probably going to be cheaper than a small monitor. Imagine quality isn't really an issue.
>>
>>56526636
No
>>56526627
Maybe you can find one of those portable DVD players at a thrift store or on craigslist.
>>56526572
If you're gaming, look into Steam home streaming. Otherwise, TurboVNC should work pretty well.
>>
>>56526347
I can't imagine Warner Bros. could send you takedown notices, but I also feel like YouTube's agreement would have something to say about it. Fair Use, or something.

>>56525751
Operating system files usually don't take up that much space. I dunno about tails, but you could fit Ubuntu on it, so I doubt it'd be a problem. There's probably minimum requirements somewhere.

I want to migrate all my online accounts and shit, since I signed up to hundreds of things as a teenager on my current email. What email provider should I use? Google's botnet, Hotmail's stupid and everything else seems really niche. I want something mostly mainstream but who won't be total douchebags about privacy and having the webclient made out of shitty javascript.
>>
>>56524563
Generally, as long as there's not anything going on in your additional monitors, they really don't make that much of a difference to 3D performance on your primary.
>>
>>56526750
>>56526417
>>56526444
I just had a look into it and apparently there is no limit to the number of videos you can upload, regardless of whether they are private or not. you can share the private ones with 50 other YT users. Since 3rd parties can't do their own own copyright sweeps it just comes down to bypassing YTs initial copyright sweep. I would presume YT wouldn't do multiple sweeps of old stuff especially if it only has 1-2 views.
>>
>>56526347
Youtube has an oddly strict copyright filter. Some things you can upload a straight rip and it won't care until it gets reported. Some things will be blocked immediately even if it's mirrored and sped up.
>>
>>56526814
I uderstand a lot of bigger movies use that audio DRM, which survives encoding at an unwatchably low bitrate, but takes like 20 minutes to be authenticated. I'm not going to be uploading the latest bluray rip of the avengers or whatever, mostly TV shows and my chinese cartoons.
>>
can you buy rolls of that plastic shit manufacturers put on new gear?
>>
>>56526861
Yeah, go to wal-mart, kitchen section, and get a roll of cellophane wrap.
>>
>>56526840
You should be fine, I would make a separate youtube account just to be safe.
>>
File: 1464971990623.jpg (68KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1464971990623.jpg
68KB, 500x495px
Redpill me on standing desks
>>
I want to make an online version of paint, similar to the community drawing sites. Should I be using C# or Javascript(would Javascript even work)?
>>
File: Mount my Floppy Drive bby.png (174KB, 275x313px) Image search: [Google]
Mount my Floppy Drive bby.png
174KB, 275x313px
>>56523246
Fuck yeah, it's the assfart from that one IT class I took that was easy as fuck.
>>
Is the battery memory meme real?

I have a fresh in the box macbook and I don't know if I should charge it out of the box or let it die or what?
>>
>>56523751
>wait
if you wait for the latest & greatest you'll never have anything at all, because something newer and better is released like every 15 minutes
>>
>>56523246

I just removed 4chanX from Chrome and now reply boxes don't appear anymore so I can't reply properly. How do I fix this?
>>
>>56527051
That hasn't been valid since Li-Ion batteries were a thing.

Plug it in and start using it to shill about macs.
>>
I'm not sure if I should spend my $ on a 144hz IPS gsync 1440p monitor or just get a basic 144hz TN 1080p monitor. gsync 1440p one is $900 aud and 144hz tn is $400-500 depending on brand
>>
>>56526912
....anorexia cured?
>>
Currently have a Note 3 with zero lemon 10k mAh battery case. Have had this note 3 for a while from Verizon. It works fine on T-Mobile network. Only problem is that I have the NC4 revision of this phone. Which means no new Android versions for me. I'm stuck on 4.4.2. My other phone is a Motorola moto X pure that while good, isn't the same as the phone I'm typing this on right now. 5 days battery life is nice. What hard ships would I face trying to use 4.4.2 as a daily driver?

If it helps, I'm rooted, custom recovery, greenify, titanium backup removed all bloat, and have superSU. Also has Xposed framework with Xprivacy module.
>>
File: oh boy, bar speaker.jpg (484KB, 3543x3504px) Image search: [Google]
oh boy, bar speaker.jpg
484KB, 3543x3504px
>>56523246
Finally going to buy a tablet, and I'm 90% sure it's gonna be a Lenovo Tab 2 a10. Is it good? Any major problems or issues? Of course if you have a suggestion for a similarly sized and priced tablet, I'd be open to suggestions.
>>
>>56527065
Then why did my G3 go from having amazing battery life to barely lasting half a day?

Was it because I upgraded to Android Marshmallow?
>>
>>56523370
You have a habit of using bigger "smart person" words when they are not necessary.

It almost seems like you are trying to impress him with the difficulty it takes to read it because academics have a tendency to assume that the more difficult something is to read, the more professional and grown-up it is.
I suggest you read this article by one of the greatest American political authors of all time:
http://harmful.cat-v.org/words/politics-and-the-english-language

To point out specific examples:
>I have an extensive history
could be better phrased "I have a LONG history"
>During the course, I served as an unofficial teacher's aid, assisting my IT teacher with his lectures while also supplementing them and helping to explain them in more detail at his request.
There is a minor typo in your sentence right there, that I'll let you find, but while this is a mostly coherent sentence, you should always seek to simplify your words, and don't be afraid to split into multiple sentences or remove extraneous detail.

Try this:
>During the course, I was a teacher's aid, helping the professor with his lectures while also adding to them a bit myself.
>I also helped make difficult concepts make sense to the students.
>>
Is GNU is pronounced like Canoe but with a hard G?
>>
>>56527358
I say guhnew
>>
>>56527256
Batteries degrade over time.
>>
>>56527256
batteries degrade, doesn't matter what kind they are. memory was specific to a certain type of battery.
>>
>>56527397
>>56527399
Any way to prevent this degradation? Charge it less? The phone won't be a year old til November.
>>
>>56524376
turn on the meta search engine, allows you to search all public trackers you add on
>>
>>56527407
Degradation is dependent on charge/discharge cycles.

In short words, the more you use a battery, the less effective it is, like a rubber band that gets loose.
>>
>>56527407
Don't discharge it completely over and over again, or at least don't leave it discharged.
If you're putting it into storage for a long time leave it at about 50% capacity. Leaving it empty or full both end up degrading it faster if it's not in use for a long time.

You'll lose more years on your life watching your battery than you would extending the life of it so just use it. You should only put thought into it if you're going to store the device away for months on end.
>>
>>56527407
impossible to prevent degradation, you're fighting against law of entropy
>>
>>56523246
Woah its the a+ pedophile from my class 5 years ago
>>
>>56527108
Please help. Is old Android in 2016 a bad thing?
>>
>>56523246
Can someone help me understand this?
http://ccna3.ccna7.com/#2.2.3.5
It's not homework. I read the chapter, and my brain still doesn't understand the difference between a Root Port, Designated Port, Alternate Port, or an Edge Port.
I don't even want the answers really. Can someone just spell this out for my simple brain.
>>
Is this the stupid questions thread?
>>
>>56527502
no.
>>
>>56527462
Other than the eventual lack of support for some apps, you should be fine.

The only thing I would worry about would be the possible security concerns from running an old, unpatched OS, but the likelihood of malware targeting kitkat is low.
>>
>>56523246
why picarto no work with livestreamer
>>
>>56527420
>>56527448
>>56527449
Thanks fellas
>>
>>56527464
Did you even read the chapter about Spanning tree?

It's really simple, just fucking read Odom and Lammle
>>
>>56523246
Which company provides the better matte screen protector - ArmorSuit or IQ Shield?
>>
>>56523246
What is the general opinion of you guys of ruby?

I am new to programming and I decide it to give a try, I just want to make simple applications as a hobby witht the porpuse of expand my horizons
>>
File: 1411533324558.jpg (139KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1411533324558.jpg
139KB, 500x522px
Whats a good anti virus?
I feel Avast is becoming an ad-ridden piece of shit and want to replace it.
>>
>>56527916
mbam
>>
Difference between installing Ubuntu and then Mate and installing Ubuntu-Mate as one package?
>>
>>56527916
W10 comes with one, but you're mostly able to get away with not using one. People say EMET is magic, too.
>>
>>56527916
You might like Malware Bytes.

The free version doesn't offer realtime protection, which feels more like a feature to me. No more annoying pop-ups and slow downs.

Remember to update the database when making a scan tho
>>
I got myself an external drive and I'd like to encrypt it. What is the best (preferably open source) software to do that?
>>
Dropped out of college twice. What and where can i learn how to do IT stuff that will land a comfy office job?
>>
File: IMG_20160910_111856.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_111856.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Ok, i got a stupid question.
I have a router with optional antenna "slots"
>pic related 1/2, the router
It's female, so are my antennas which i snatched from another product. The Antennas are female too.

So, here comes the stupid part: Can i just take tin foil make a small "needle-roll" and put it in between?
Would it make sense, would it even work?
Also, i once did that with a proken ps1 psu-"pen", which at some point would kinda explode, fry the psx's motherboard and essentially melt the tinfoil.
Otherwise i'd have tested it already, and i know there's a lot lesser voltage, still wanna ask the /g/urus.
>>
File: IMG_20160910_111910.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_111910.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>56528198
>pic 2/2, the antenna
>>
>>56528194
edx
>>
>>56528194
A friend of mine started doing Lua stuff for WoW years ago (classic), had his HP made with PHP and dived in to other stuff like ruby and whatnot.
He hosted everything on GitHub always had his contact data everywhere, thus got a surprising mail from a company where he did work then.

tl;dr do lots of open source stuff and git gud
>>
>>56528198
>>56528207
Hard to tell from the photos
In any case it shouldn't hurt anything as long as it doesn't get lost inside the plug and stuck down there, other than that the worst that could happen is it wouldn't work very well.
>>
>>56528279
Thanks, then i'll try it.
As long as the router doesn't get defunct it's worth a try.
Right now i have the Antennas attached, but as they only get contact trough the thread i guess they don't do anything right now.
>>
>>56526924
>not sending your picture in for the start page
>>
>>56527673
>It's really simple, just fucking read Odom and Lammle
Is this it?
http://www.birminghamcharter.com/ourpages/auto/2012/3/22/41980164/CCNA%20Electronic%20Book%206th%20edition.pdf
Thanks very much, brother.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-10-11-41-12.jpg (822KB, 1686x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-10-11-41-12.jpg
822KB, 1686x1000px
How do I remove my lockscreen?
These must be an app that force enables it.
I haven't rooted my phone yet.
>>
>>56528392
Go to Settings -> Security
There it should be a menunfor lockscreen
>>
If I turn on airplane mode and Wi-Fi, am i still safe from the botnet cell towers?
>>
>>56528013
pls respond
>>
>>56527916
>Whats a good anti virus?
Windows Defender, or Microsoft Security Essentials if you're on Windows 7.
>>
>>56528416
You mean the one on the left screen in my screenshot or a different one? I cannot find it.
>>
>>56528439
Just remove your SIM card
>>
>>56528499
Fuck off.
>>
>>56528530
Your SIM card is a proprietary botnet that doesn't respect your freedoms, anon.
>>
>>56523246
Does an ubuntu spin exist that comes with openbox as default?

Alternatively, how hard is it to create your own custom ubuntu iso?
>>
Is there anyway I can set up a Windows dual boot so that it only has access to the partition I've installed it on?
>>
>>56528558
>Alternatively, how hard is it to create your own custom ubuntu iso?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
>>
>>56528569
Disable automount and remove all drive letters
>>
>>56528540
> implying
What, even text SIMs?
>>
>>56528599
If I'm running two different versions of Windows would it not effect both given that they share the file system?
>>
>>56528608
Yes. You cannot have a SIM card that respects your freedoms because this does not exist.
https://www.elprocus.com/how-sim-card-works/

Better stop using cell phones if you want to be a freetard.
>>
>>56523974
you download the torrent metadata from somewhere (the ".torrent" file), which contains the file listing, block hashes, and tracker list
a tracker is a server which hosts IP's of people on certain torrents, this helps speed up the process of finding peers
when you download a torrent, you connect to the trackers, download a list of peers, then connect to those peers asking for blocks which you don't (yet) have
that's about it

there's also other things like DHT (when there's no tracker), but this covers the basics
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (148KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
148KB, 1600x1200px
>>56528640
> a trimmed-down smartcard not originating from any carrier is inherently botnet because I say so
Yeah, okay, kid.
>>
>>56524467
it's make more sense to put others things as VM's on the file server, not putting a file server in a VM

if your file server is a VM, then who was manage the disks and volumes on that VM's host?
>>
>>56528706
It's inherently botnet because it executes proprietary code.
What is it with you freetards and insisting on being hypocritical pieces of shit ?
>>
>>56528392
please respond
>>
>>56528719
> It's inherently botnet because it executes proprietary code.
Uh huh.

> What is it with you freetards and insisting on being hypocritical pieces of shit ?
Whatever you say, man.
>>
I have a tiguan mvb rev b hp mobo. It says LGA775 socket right on the board.
I plopped in an Intel Core2 Quad and my BIOS tells me the CPU is not supported. Is this the first step of the process or are there two kinds of lga775 sockets?
>>
>>56528207
where the fuck did you find an antenna with a /female/ connector on it?
>>
>>56528774
The Acer P5Q says it's LGA775. The processor boots fine on that board.
>>
What is the best way to remove semen stains from your computer's case?
I position my computer's case below my desk sideways and I just noticed now that it has a lot of semen build up on its side.
I aim for the tissue but I never noticed that my aim was sometimes off.
>>
>>56528774
> are there two kinds of lga775 sockets?
No...
But LGA 775 and LGA 771 are very similar, and Xeons from that socket era were compatible with both.
>>
>>56528596
This is not really an answer to my question. Thanks for the effort though.
>>
>>56525591

by using wires.

bluetooth is a meme, fuck COURAGE
>>
>>56528010
>>56527916

This.
>>
>>56528879
Maybe if you go and check out what it does instead of saying "oh this doesn't look like an ISO I made myself"
You want openbox without having a "spin" that comes with another DE or WM out of the box ? The netinstaller will do that for you.
You want no WM at all ? Sure.
You want to select specific packages for your specific use case during the install ? Go ahead.

Now stop being a faggot and go install your OS how you want it to be installed instead of wasting time trying to make your own installer or removing bloat from another installer.
>>
>>56528719
Due to the lack of a response, I'd say you're
B T F O
T
F
O

>>56528439
Anybody?

>>56528392
>>56528724
Clear credentials if you happen to have any, check if your phone is encrypted, then log into the owner's account on your phone by going to Users in your settings.

Then, go back to your settings, then go to Security. It should be the first option, and if it's not there, then maybe there's another way.

Send a screenshots if you have any problems or whatever.
>>
File: 1473401640685.webm (2MB, 965x666px) Image search: [Google]
1473401640685.webm
2MB, 965x666px
What is the name of the shell/WM in webm related?
>>
>>56528774
>are there two kinds of lga775 sockets?
No, but there are several generations of chipsets using the socket, as it dates back all the way to Pentium 4.
For Core 2 processors, you need one of the later ones, don't remember which ones are compatible exactly. I do know the earlier Core 2 compatible chipsets need a BIOS update for later Core 2 processers (eg. Q9XXX models), though.
>>
I have a dell laptop a family member just gave me which also has a really fucking gay and bright cover with various inscriptions on top of it, how do i quickly replace it with a proper black one
>>
>>56529021
Thanks. It looks like the Asus board is the only one that supports the Core2 Quad 8300.
>>
>>56528877
Rub-a-dub-dub.
Thanks.
>>
Is it true that dualboot makes the computer run slower? If so, why does this happen if only 1 OS runs at the time?
>>
>>56529074
>Is it true that dualboot makes the computer run slower?
No.
At worst it makes the computer boot slower, as a consequence of having a menu with a countdown to select your OS during boot.
>>
>>56529074
>Is it true that dualboot makes the computer run slower?
No.
It makes boot a few seconds longer if you have a menu enabled.
>>
>>56529062
You're welcome.

Are you thinking about getting an old Xeon now?

You also have to get an adapter, but that costs less than five bucks shipped.

>>56529074
Not to my knowledge, no.
>>
File: lga775.jpg (1MB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
lga775.jpg
1MB, 2592x1952px
>>56529095
>>56529096
hivemind

>>56529062
Oh yeah, and you also have to cut out a tab on your socket in order to make the CPU fit. Just be careful, and you'll get a PC that should last you a few more years.
>>
I restored an old laptop to default it's default installation but I can't reactive Microsoft Word 2010 cause I don't have it's product key (I don't even know if it was activated before because I didn't check). My question is does any anon know of any good activators or ways to get Microsoft word for free?
>>
>>56529004
That's windows 10
>>
>>56529096
>>56529095
>>56529089
Thank you.
>>
>>56529221
Looking at icons inside the "Computer" window it seems more like it's Windows 7. I just wanted to know how to make it do such tiling as in the webm.
>>
What's a good desk and chair combo for a maximum comfy workstation?
>>
Is Safari online worth the subscription price for self-learning?
>>
File: 1454284957438.jpg (586KB, 1912x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1454284957438.jpg
586KB, 1912x2000px
Couple of questions:

First up, what do you guys use in the way of GPU overclocking software? MSI Afterburner won't let me adjust core voltage on my 1080 for some reason.

Second, if I restart from windows it will always go into my BIOS instead of rebooting properly, but shutting down and starting cold boots straight to windows. I have an Asus Z170-AR, 1602 BIOS, not sure what the cause could be.
>>
>>56529436
You have to check the box in settings that says unlock voltage control

Make sure you select the correct default boot disk
>>
1. For whatever reason two months ago my FPS on almost every game was fine. I could play Overwatch at 120+ and playing any MOBA fine. I don't know what happened, but overnight with me not turning off my computer I woke up and since my FPS on Overwatch has be 40-60, I can't play League/Heroes of the Storm without going on the lowest setting and just in general my computer took a huge performance lose. I looked inside, cleaned everything, ran a bunch of tests and here I am 3 months later still with nothing changed. Someone suggested that it might possibly be my hard drive (It's a shitty old one I took off my previous pre built)? Is that actually possible?

I use to be able to stream + play Overwatch completely fine with what I currently have:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card

I bought this computer 9 months ago and I was super happy with how things were, but now they're super shitty and it's affecting my play a lot (Which is a big deal to me / my employer who pays me to play for his organization). I don't know if I should upgrade something (Which would be hard since I'm AMD desu) or just buy an entire new rig.

2. Could buying a new monitor improve my FPS? I'm playing on a old Samsung 60HZ monitor that seems fine, but I've been looking into getting a 144hz monitor and running both of them with the 144hz one being my primary one (This is possible right? Having two completely different monitors in terms of company/size/hz and using them both?
>>
File: surface-pro-4-07.jpg (104KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
surface-pro-4-07.jpg
104KB, 990x660px
>>56523246
Is the Surface Pro series the best pen-enabled Windows tablets or are there better, cheaper, lesser-known names out there?
>>
>>56529453
>You have to check the box in settings that says unlock voltage control
That doesn't work.

>Make sure you select the correct default boot disk
Done that already, yeah.
>>
>>56529460
Probably some process going on in the background

New monitor won't help you get a better frame rate, a 144hz monitor will just let you display more frames if you are able to render them

You can use 60hz and 144hz side by side but you might get redpilled and notice the low refresh rate on your 60hz screen a lot
>>
>>56529453
>>56529483
Aah, I think I just fixed it by reinstalling Afterburner.
>>
>>56529518

I've closed a shit ton of stuff, I really don't know what it could be.

I see.

I'd be using the 60hz one for Twitch Chat + Websites as I play on the 144 one.
>>
Tell me about the surface pro 4
>>
Can I replate my Quadruro K1000m with a 970m if I wanted to?
>>
>>56529558
Shiet.
>>
>>56529563
No
>>
Say I have a tape that has recorded a show at 30fps on a vhs.
I then fast forward that tape on playback at twice the speed.
Is it now 60fps?
>>
>>56529607
Well yeah, if you play back a 30fps recording at double speed you are playing it at 60fps
>>
File: CHARLESTON.jpg (114KB, 668x438px) Image search: [Google]
CHARLESTON.jpg
114KB, 668x438px
what does one do for a portable monitor these days? I want to build a highly mobile pc. Is video capture a thing on tablets or is it trash? Should I be looking at maybe portable blue ray players or something like that?
>>
>>56529651
What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>>56529518

You think I should buy a new computer or?
>>
>>56529720
Your current computer should be fine for 1080p 60hz on at least medium

If you want to go to 144hz you probably should build a new computer
>>
I want to buy the domain mylastname.com (available) and use it as my email address like [email protected].
Can I do this without a server?
>>
>>56529762
>Can I do this without a server?
no
>>
>>56529749

Why would it be different on different hz?

Also I'm fine playing on low if I need to
>>
File: spec.png (27KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spec.png
27KB, 1920x1080px
These are my specs. I'd like to play some games on my PC. Is it at all worth it/possible to upgrade this PC or should I really be looking at getting a new build?
>>
>>56529137
Anyone?
>>
>>56529665
building a lan party computer that isn't a pain in the ass to take to other peoples houses.
>>
>>56529768
In many games you can run into a cpu bottleneck when going to very high frame rates.
>>
Can someone recommend me a good VPN?

Lots of different IPs preferred
>>
Anything I need to keep any eye on if I'm going to leave my PC on all night?
>>
>>56529769
learn to crop

what type of games, AAA?
>>
>>56529818
your power bill
>>
>>56529762
>Can I do this without a server?
Strictly speaking, no, you need something to host your mail service.
You can do it without managing the server on your own, though.

Depending on your current mail provider, you may be able to use your own domain with it.
You can also get a cheap managed webserver type deal with a hosting company, these will usually come with quite good mail services as well, including niceties like spam filters.
Technically there's nothing stopping you from hosting your mail server in your own house either, though this is an adventure I wouldn't recommend going into.
>>
let me see if i can rephrase my question, I'm looking for a display/monitor/tv whatever that I can use to make a highly portable pc I'd consider going as low as 10 inches so if I can just video capture to something like a tablet that would be fine as many of those have flex stands that would be great if i end up using the pc on a weird surface like a bed or arm chair never know where I'm going to need it to be.
>>
Any way to circunvent the password at the start when on a Win8/10, my hot aunt dropped her pc with me and I wanna check if she has some naughty stuff, desu.
>>
File: 590.png (345KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
590.png
345KB, 640x480px
I've a i5 3570k overclocked to 4.20 ghz (inb4 blaze it faggot), could it be a bottleneck for my GTX 1070?
if yes, should I upgrade right now with a i5 6600k or wait for the i5 7xxx series?
>>
>>56529916
Not really
>>
>>56529888
can't you just take out the HDD and put it in another computer as secondary HDD and check the files in it? from my experience in windows 7 only the start is protected by the password but the actual files aren't so even if you access with another user you can view the files on the HDD
>>
My computer is 2 floors away from my router.

Is there some magical way I can connect to it without using wireless? I hate wireless.
>>
>>56529916
No bottleneck, upgrade consumerism is a big intel meme.

>>56529987
Either lay down an ethernet cable or use something called 'powerline adapters'
>>
File: Drill2.png (822KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Drill2.png
822KB, 1500x1000px
>>56529987
>>
>>56529987
Powerline adapter could work, depends on the wiring though.
>>
I have a GA-B150M-D3H and I cant get into the BIOS using a USB keyboard.
I've tried the plug next to the PS2 port.

any tips?
>>
Whats the best mouse at the moment? Going to be using it for gaming and general use. Heard the Logitech G502 is good - is this true?
>>
>>56530011
>>56529936
allright then, I'll just wait for a couple more series to come out before upgrading like i5 8xxx or 9xxxx
Thanks for the infos
>>
>>56530011
>>56530024
>Powerline adapter
Never heard of it. Is it at least better than wireless?

>>56530017
Drill this *unzips pants*
>>
>>56530044
Yes, it comes close to wired but it depends on how old the electrical wiring in the house is. Also, dont cheap out, I got myself a cheap tp-link pair, and they are not the best, while my friend has more expensive ones (same era houses) and it works fine for him.
>>
>>56530067
>>56530044
By how old I mean how good, age of a wire doesnt matter of course. It does matter what the standards where in that time.
>>
>>56530044
Some people can vouch for powerline adapters, worth looking into.

They work by sending the signal through your copper wiring in the house and go router -> socket -> socket elsewhere -> computer
>>
>>56530044
>Never heard of it. Is it at least better than wireless?
Depends on how shitty your electrical wiring is.
Routing an ethernet cable through your walls/floors is always going to be the best solution, though. See: >>56530017
>>
>>56530038
>>56530011
>>56529936
oh and almost forgot to ask a stupidier question, should I try to overclock my CPU further to 4.4 ghz? I only touched the multiplier to get it to 4.2 without changing the voltage and it reaches 50-60°C max under max load
>>
>>56530044
Ethernet Over Power is what it's typically called, they're basically wall plugs that you hook your ethernet into, you should only need two of these plugs if it's just you connecting, but you can have three or more on a network if need be.

The critical thing is that you need relatively modern wiring, with your EoP adapters on the same electrical circuit - or so they tell us.

Personally, I've used some in a house from '85 and in another built in 2013, didn't notice much difference between the two, they were both much better than wifi.
>>
>>56530036
its fine but it might not have the most comfortable right side for some hand grips
>>
SSL CERTIFICATE EMAIL SERVER

Hi, I'm trying to set up ssl on a mail server, i have entered the domain name into the ssl website and it sent the verification code to a custom name (postmaster) in front of the domain name but it's not showing up on my domain registrar website, please help, thanks
>>
>>56530087
It should be safe going to 70c or even as high as 80c during stress tests but it's up to you.
>>
>>56530067
>>56530083
Very interesting. Recommend me one?

>>56530086
I'll take a risk with the shitty electrical wiring. I really can't drill where I'll be staying.

>>56530091
>they were both much better than wifi.
How so? Gaming or just file transferring?
>>
Is the whole "Mint sucks" thing a meme?
>>
>>56530087
The .2 ghz wont matter much tho. Just remember it's extremely hard to kill a CPU
>>
>>56530108
so the ssl site is sending an email to [email protected] ?

if so then you should check for the email on the mail server not the domain registrar site
>>
>>56530144
it's kind of bloaty but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be

all the posts about how it has shitty security is based on a hack that happened to their forums a year ago, it has nothing to do with mint itself
>>
>>56529004
Anyone?
>>
>>56530087
Sure, why not ?
As a rule of thumb, you're good as long as your CPU is running below 80C under full load.
TJmax on Intel CPUs is usually around 103C, which is when they'll just shut off to prevent damage. They start throttling around 90C ish. Technically anything below this should be fine, but to account for spikes in temperature it's best not to go above 80C.
You can't outright destroy your CPU just by overclocking it normally. Your motherboard and CPU both have safety features built in to prevent this. Worst case it won't POST, so you reset your CMOS and dial things down a bit.

>>56530144
No, Mint is shit.
>>
>>56530144
some truth at times like outdated software and backdoored mint images
installing ubuntu or debian and using cinnamon/xfce/mate would look the same
>>
How noticeable is the difference between a 24 and 27 inch monitor in real usage. Currently using a 22"
>>
>>56530186
Depends on resolution.
>>
>>56530143
TP-Link AV-500 should suffice, you can also get one with a wifi extender inside, if you want it. Dont forget to buy a kit.
>>
>>56530177
>>56530146
>>56530134
Thanks again guys
>>
>>56529004
>>56530176
last time I saw the webm someone said it was a program for windows to make it perform window tiling
you could try searching /g/ archives (rbt, warosu)
>>
>>56523246
How can I test the drive health of both my SSD and HDD? Both drives are from 2011 and I've noticed weird delays when navigating either or using programs installed on either. Just want to see if there are any issues, if they are dying, etc. Can't afford new drives until November but I could transfer my games to my laptop for back up maybe
>>
File: 41ze-iFcpGL.jpg (18KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
41ze-iFcpGL.jpg
18KB, 500x388px
Can anyone suggest some vesa 100 wall mounts for a light 22 inch monitor that stretches more than 50cm? What's some good brands for mounts? Is ricoo good? I was looking to pic related but it's kinda bulky and vesa 200, the plaque would cover the monitor's plugs.
>>
>>56530186
Difference between 24" and 27" is 25% more screen area
27" is too big for 1080p at normal monitor viewing distances
>>
>>56530198
>Dont forget to buy a kit
What do you mean by this? Is buying the powerline adapters themselves not enough? What kit do I have to buy?
>>
>>56530232
A kit as in, 2 adapters, you'll need one at the router and at the place you want to use it. Most of the time theyre sold in pairs/as a kit.
>>
>>56530254
Ah kk.

Gonna go shopping for one now. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>56530176
>>56530207
try one of the AHK scripts from here http://nanami-tan.info/#Tiling
>>
Are there any powered (lets you charge the tablet while using the USB hub) MicroUSB hubs for Windows tablets?

Everything I keep finding is for android tablets, and usually has comments saying they don't work with windows tablets.
>>
>>56530269
Thank you! If anyone else is interested, look for goweiwen's scripts.
>>
>>56530143
>How so? Gaming or just file transferring?
Gaming was good, I was able to play CS:GO without issues. There's far less packet loss compared to a wifi system of the same distance.
>>
>>56530149
Hi, I'm getting really confused on how to set up an email server SSLl certificate using startssl.com

i have validated my email but generating the actual certificate confuses me, could you by any chance help me out
>>
File: xmitter_schematic.gif (9KB, 698x566px) Image search: [Google]
xmitter_schematic.gif
9KB, 698x566px
I'm making this circuit as part of a home made mesh net design, but I want ti to be portable.
How do I make a virtual ground rather than need a mains connection or an earth spike?
>>
File: atsisiųsti.jpg (3KB, 309x163px) Image search: [Google]
atsisiųsti.jpg
3KB, 309x163px
Is there any fun to be had with an old TV box? Besides watching TV of course.
It's a Motorola VIP1920-9T if that's any help.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
how do i go about setting the FN keys to work without pressing the FN key itsel?
i mean if i want to adjust brightnes with just *home* or *end* buttons without pressing *fn* key simultaneously. im on Lenovo T410, cant seem to find these settings anywhere
>>
Whats an easy way to dualboot linux with windows 10? I want to game when I can be bothered but still have linux. I'll do virtualbox for a bit but then make it a proper OS on my drive.
>>
>>56530542
Aren't FN keys hardware based?
>>
>>56530582
i was previously using lenovo E450 and there were settings to make function keys work instantly (without pressing Fn button), and for F1-F12 function you'd have to press Fn.
So im looking a way to swap that with this laptop too
>>
>>56530582
I'm pretty sure with Thinkpads you can at least switch the FN and CTRL keys around, don't know about switching their entire functionality.
>>
File: 1338492064909.png (16KB, 450x375px) Image search: [Google]
1338492064909.png
16KB, 450x375px
Is there any way to activate Upnp with a router that doesn't have the option to do such?
My Company forces me to use their modem to use fiber adsl and it only has like portforwarding options and there is no UPNP option in any menu, my friends with the same modem confirm that it's not just me
>>
>>56530714
*my telephone company
>>
My Asus laptop sometimes wont charge, but sometimes works perfect.

When it doesn't charge, the battery led indicator will blink orange when plugged in, and the indicator in the OS will erratically jump percentages and plugged-unplugged status. If I turn it on plugged it but without battery, it won't turn on.

is it ded?
>>
>>56530663
That's a thing on newer Thinkpads with the chiclet keyboard.
It is not a software think.
You can't do it on yours unless you remap the keys completely using software.
>>
Haven't been following those new Surface-clone devices. Did any of those succeed in giving better perf/price without cutting too many corners?
>>
What's a good tracker for games?
>>
File: botnet123.jpg (543KB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
botnet123.jpg
543KB, 4000x3000px
Wireshark is showing that my PC is receiving a lot of packets on ports 2294 and 20211 from different (afaik unrelated) IP addresses. However, TcpLogView didn't show any process that uses thous ports.
Could it be that Wireshark is showing received packets for which there is no active process on my machine? Is such a thing possible?

For the record:
Wireshark and TcpLogView were logging at the same time.
I've disabled most process that use the Internet for the duration of the logging.
The contents of the packets only show "Data" with 100-150 bytes in length.
>>
File: vera_crypt[1].png (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
vera_crypt[1].png
42KB, 512x512px
Does the time Veracrypt needs to mount a crypted partition depend on the size of the partition ?
I'd like to encrypt a 2to HDD but I don't want to wait 10 minutes to mount it.
>>
>>56530739
The battery is dead I guess. Have you tried checking if the PSU is still working ? With a voltmeter or something ?
>>
What is the best app to use facebook on an android?
>>
>>56530961
Any web browser.
>>
>>56529828
yeah. and I tried but failed
>>
>>56526924
Hey, it's the PC pro dude.
We probably had a similar IT class, my dude.
I couldn't find a photo of that other dude who shows up every once in a while.
>>
>>56530973
But its always forwarding to mobile site and the messenger bullshit is nonsence
>>
>>56530961
Firefox for android.

Facebook lite.
>>
File: D-Link DSL-500B.jpg (3MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
D-Link DSL-500B.jpg
3MB, 3664x2748px
>D-Link DSL-500B
I have this modem here. I received it on 2008 from my phone company, used it until this year, when it could not work and was replaced by a new one. Its capacitors, taiwanese electrolictic ones from the Ronyo brand, leaked due to usage. I already was told on /diy/ that it's easy to fix, just replacing them. And that I should, because it's good to have a spare one IF I need.

So, I checked the (physical 2008) manual, and it says:
>ADSL interface * supports G.dmt full rate: speeds up to 8Mbps downstream/640Kbps upstream
This worries me a little bit. I currently have 5Mbps connection, and the next connection I will have will be, probably, 10Mbps. I don't know when this will be, but probably no more than 5 years from now. So, I suppose this modem would not be good anymore and I would need to donate it to someone living outside the city centre (where I live), because it's supported speed would be lower than what I would have.

>The new modem:
>ADSL Data Rates: 24 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream
>>
File: f.jpg (77KB, 656x577px) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
77KB, 656x577px
How to stop handles continuing to rise? My other Windows 10 PC only has 50K after being on for 12 days.
>>
>>56530934
No. I don't have a voltmeter and wouldn't even know how to use it.
>>
Is there something like "Tinfoil for Facebook" or "NewPipe" for Skype? I need to use it, but it requests location and shit. I'm using XPrivacy to lock it down, but it'd be nice to have a slightly less botnet app.
>>
override windows xp with windows 10
on a system with:
>3.1GHz sandy bridge
>4gb RAM

some dumbasses wanted me to buy a new pc to throw a win10 on. because it would slow on my system they said.

well i guess not.
prove me wrong
>>
I don't understand the value of specializing in one language over another. If programs are just logic, then shouldn't the same logic work with any programming language?
>>
Are there any real downsides to storing files on a local media server instead of natively on a hard drive?
>>
How much better than word 2007 is the latest version? Is spellcheck less pants-on-head retarded?
>>
>>56531288
go back to school
>>
>>56531507
your answer is inappropriate
>>
>>56531483
Use LibreOffice. Free software!
>>
>>56531549
>LibreOffice
How does that match up to Microsoft Word? If I were to download it for a tech illiterate middle aged woman who was only familiar with Microsoft Word how would it's features and usability match up?
>>
File: lo52-writer-01.png (129KB, 1129x707px) Image search: [Google]
lo52-writer-01.png
129KB, 1129x707px
>>56531606
Check this LibreOffice Writer interface. It's like the Microsoft Office 2003 interface, before that ribbon thing on the menu that was introduced on the 2007 version. Is it worth to pay hundreds of dollars to have a stupid ribbon?
>>
I'm trying to decide which GTX 1070 I should be saving up for. I will be water cooling and overclocking it.

I'm leaning towards Gigabyte's G1 card because EVGA is kind of expensive.
Since it's generally advised that you should use [manufacturer]'s overclocking utility to have access to voltage control, can anyone comment on the usability of Gigabyte's utility ?
Is it any better than Afterburner ?
Is EVGA's Precision better, and worth the money for an EVGA card to use it ?
>>
>>56523246
I posted a few threads back, my screen was black with only the cursor

Anyway, I restarted three times when the loading circle came up and selected fix startup issues
. All fixed, shit's magic yo
>>
>>56530029
Pls respond
>>
File: 1472953097094.png (191KB, 473x358px) Image search: [Google]
1472953097094.png
191KB, 473x358px
poorfag here. I have an i3 2100 and am wondering how much of a bottleneck i'll get with a 3GB GTX 1060. I don't care about running every AAA title at 4K Ultra, I just want something that'll run games at a decent quality and framerate.
>>
i just built a pc for autocad for a friend with an i7 6700. the cpu came with a promo code for rainbow six siege , and some stuff for world of tanks and warface.
Does anybody know what exactly is given for world of tanks? i don't have the code in my hands right now.
>>
>>56531688
>I will be water cooling
Then just get the cheapest one you can find.
>>
>>56531893
Nah, the choice is between either Gigabyte's G1 or EVGA's FTW, because from what I can tell these are the ones EKWB has full cover blocks for.

Budget-wise both are within my reach, the question is whether Gigabyte's OC Guru software is a piece of shit, or if EVGA's Precision is notably better.
>>
>>56531483
Just use 2013, yes there are improvements of everything you can think of.
>>
>>56531947
Correction, they also have full cover blocks for Gamerock, JetStream, Phoenix, and STRIX models.

So I guess it's really a question of who has the least shitty overclocking utility with voltage control ?
Doesn't seem like there are any MSI compatible blocks, so that's not an option. And Founder's Edition is more expensive than all of the custom boards anyway.
>>
>>56530542
PLS halp /g/
>>
>>56532174
Please read the replies you already got, you worthless cunt.
>>
i very recently put in my cpu cooler

it had the thermal paste already pre applied

if i wanted to adjust the direction the cooler is facing would i have to reapply the paste?
>>
New Thread

>>56532404
>>56532404
>>56532404
>>56532404
>>
>>56527314
Are you saying George Orwell was American?
>replace long with extensive

>>56523370
The guy I replied to above doesn't really have good points. Your diction doesn't consist of "smart people" vocabularly - rather, the field you are entering is littered with huge words (computer, maintenance, technology, etc.).
Furthermore, you should try to be a bit more formal in your letter. This means to not use contractions.
Also, try to cut unnecessary fluff.

>However my resume is sparse due to my age, and... a rewarding career.
This mght be what the other guy is referring to with your words: "sparse" isn't really the right word to use. This sentence could be better written as:
>As a recent graduate (or whatever the hell you have just done that makes you qualified for the job), an internship with ______ would help me gain the experience I need for a rewarding career.
(Also, try not to use pussyfoot terms like "I feel," "I think," and "I believe." Sometimes they do work effectively, but 99% of the time it just makes you look like youre unsure of what you're saying - you need to come off as confident).

>Focusing on the more specialized aspects of my self-education, I'm most experienced in the domains of.... Windows Systems Administration.
The dependent clause ("Focusing on the more specialized aspects of my self-education") is completely unnecessary - thonk about it from the perspective of the HR guy who's gonna read this - the only thing they need to know from that sentence is the second part (after the comma). The first part just makes it awkward and difficult to read.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.