[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux on usb stick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ubuntu.png (3KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.png
3KB, 259x194px
Thought it could be useful to carry a small usb stick with ubuntu on it in my wallet so i can use it on other computers
What do you think about it and can it harm my usb and shorten it's life span?
>>
>>56514950
Do it. As long as the usb is used just for that then its fine.
>>
>>56514950
>What do you think about it
it's a bad idea

>can it harm my usb
most definitely

>shorten it's life span?
yes
>>
>>56514973
Why does it matter? creating a seperate folder and using it side by side with the OS can hurt the usb?
>>
>>56514973
a
>>
anyone?
>>
You can harm your usb port if you push the stick in in a wrong way.
Do it a lot of times, the likelyhood of that happening could increase, thereby shortening the life span of your usb port.
I am not sure that putting the stick in the wallet will hurt the stick, but I don't know how american you are.
>>
>>56514950
The thing about any flash memory (like in a USB stick) is that it only has a limited number of (read) write cycles, so once you've written enough data from it, it can no longer have new data written, indicating drive failure. So yeah, using any USB stick will shorten its life span. however, you probably won't make use of a Linux USB enough to encounter this - you can definitely have Ubuntu side by side with a separate folder for storage (you might need multiple partitions for this). If the life if the stick is significantly shorter, it's probably because you use such a folder often
>>
>>56515037
bootable images take the whole disk
>>
>>56516528
Yes, but you can use the folder in the storage
>>
Live operating systems operate mostly in RAM anyway. Why not use a more complete distro that operates entirely in RAM, like Puppy?
>>
>>56514950
tried it, I fucked that one famous metal USB stick up, too much time in my pants
>>
In my work I have installed linux to usb and use it.
3 months with 8 hours a day and no problems yet.
I use tmpfs on /tmp and keep all the files in the hdd.
>>
>>56518829
You could create another partition on the drive and edit the bootloader of the live image to recognize it. The Ubuntu ecosystem has an app that does just that.
>>
>>56518921
Never heard of it, after reading about it i actually planning to do it with Puppy, thanks!
>>
File: 1472778839262.jpg (116KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472778839262.jpg
116KB, 1024x1024px
I'm thinking about dumping the cloud and just using USB sticks to store my documents and memes. Bad idea?
>>
>>56519457
Just be sure to keep them backed up. remember that the 'cloud' is just someone else's computer, whereas your drives are yours and you can confirm they are secure / encrypted etc
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.