[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost of Tech Past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.gif (19KB, 600x162px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
19KB, 600x162px
Will history repeat itself?

With Apple further committing to trapping their customers in proprietary hell I couldn't help but hear an echo from the past.

Another company was on top of the world of consumer tech but fell when they kept trying to jail their loyal consumers through proprietary tech overload.

I ask you /g/, is Apple on their way to fate that befell Sony or does the consumer continue to eat heaping helpings of propriety pie?

What product will jump the propriety shark?
>>
Sony is doing fine though
>>
>>56507335
>comparing that piece of shit to god-tier sony
Fuck off, you fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>56507354
So are many companies. Sony used to be a tech innovator.
First:
Walkman
CD
Discman
Portable TV
palm size 8mm camcorder
HD broadcast camera
OLED TV
Blu-ray

But for every win they abused consumers with propriety memory cards or tried to force a standard that was clearly not what the market wanted only because they missed the boat on getting license fees by creating it, mini-disc vs MP3 players.

They just recently had their first full year of being profitable after three years of losses.
>>
>>56507389
OP here. I love Sony. They will always be my #1 forever. I want them to be on top in nearly all segments like they were in the past.

But a part of love is honesty.
>>
>>56507539
It doesn't help that the only thing really making money at Sony these days is their gaming department.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 450x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 450x356px
>>56507576
Yeah and their banking arm. They made my favorite laptops ever but sold it off before I could grow up afford to buy one.

They had a style all their own and I loved it. I'll never understand why they marketed their laptops under Vaio when they have the name Sony. Should have never been Sony Vaio. A simple Sony logo on the back would have made an even greater statement than an apple.

Pic: laptop style perfection achieved in 2011.
>>
>>56507576
They're still the #1 television brand in Europe, #1 Blu-Ray player brand in the world (and they get money for every BD drive sold) and their smaller stuff like headphones sell well.
>>
>>56507739
Sony's design style is fucking amazing. And I agree about the branding, it would have been better.

I work at Best Buy and so many people come in replacing their 5 - 8 year old Sony's and get sad when I tell them they no longer make them (nu-Vaio isn't in Canada)
>>
>>56507771
Just doing ok isn't good enough is the point. 16 years ago the company was worth $113billion(adj) and now it's worth $41billion. In that time an inferior company has grown to $560billion because Sony slept on innovation and even handed over the position of "quality alternative" in the US mobile space to Samsung of all people. Samsung ran Sony out of the US market almost entirely in mobile.

Apple is starting to leave a big opening and I hope Sony can seize it and not horrible Samsung.
>>
>>56507335
I hope they do
But u don't know who will take their place, I hope it would be a new company out of nowhere but that's impossible
>>
>>56507937
Sony needs to iron out their pricing on their phones and stop gimping the US versions (no fingerprint sensor???) and stop releasing 3 flagships a year and they could do it.

In Canada they're always exclusive to Bell so they need to stop doing that too.
>>
>>56507999
Isn't that more the telecoms fault?
How come Apple are the only ones that can sell direct to consumer in Canada
Samsung has stores but still no phones, only through carriers
>>
Apple started with jailing their customers.
They fucking love it
>>
>>56507999
Checked.

It's unfortunate that even on the best hardware it will still be running android. Maybe Microsoft can figure the mobile OS out. Palm was so fucking close to doing mobile OS right that I'll hate HP for life. Web OS was just a slight polishing behind iOS and HP killed it.

A Sony phone running a modern WebOS would be great.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.