[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK is git so convoluted??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: CIQr_KiUkAAzoZx.png (362KB, 538x700px) Image search: [Google]
CIQr_KiUkAAzoZx.png
362KB, 538x700px
Am I alone in thinking that the scope of gits functionality is way too unnecessary? I need version control, not a memory minigame every time I want to push code.

Like holy shit okay the default functions are fine, pulling, pushing fetching... some work could be done in terms of better naming conventions but it's easy enough. However all hell breaks loose when it comes to rebasing, squashing commits, foxing merge conflicts and altering history, especially on projects with more than a few developers. And everyone has a different workflow with git, some people use the stash, others (me) avoid it entirely, so everyones confused whenever there's a git issue.

Don't even get me started on the git merge conflict vim, what the fuck is that LMAO. Who is realistically supposed to use that when all people want to do is have a working version control that isn't a convoluted meme?? Can we go back to SVN pls
>>
>>56497302
I thought so too until I realized you basically only need to memorize 4 commands and you're good to go, and there are even GUIs if it's too complicated...
>>
>>56498871
This, for everything else there's stackoverflow.
>>
>>56498949
And why would you want a repository management system that forces you to search for answers?

Svn doesn't do this.
>>
>>56497302
GIT
U
D
>>
it was an NSA meme to make you butthurt and keep men out of tech
>>
>>56497302
>Pokemon image
>Bitching about something you don't understand
>Non-legitimate complaints

So how's your first programming class, OP? I know, there's a lot of hard concepts to take in, but try to stick with it. making threads and shitting up this already terrible board is doing nothing to help anyone.

Shut up, put your head down and get to work.
>>
>>56497302
I'm too lazy to check, but I assume someone has written a wrapper interface that isn't retarded.
>>
mercurial > svn > cvs > bloated turd git

Most people use Git for the reason that most people use windows: Everyone else does so you are forced in to using it or be left out in the cold.

Stand up against the shitty git monopoly and embrace diversity in SCM.
>>
At least it's not mercurial.
>>
egit for eclipse is glorious
amen
>>
>>56497302
Just use RCS
>>
>>56500937
I use RCS a lot for things like server configs or small scripts, it does the job if you only want to be able to rollback changes, if that is all you're doing, git is total overkill. Mercurial is my bae tho
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.