[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

source code of notepad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: source code.png (6KB, 679x501px) Image search: [Google]
source code.png
6KB, 679x501px
My teacher gave me a "challenge" to get source code of windows notepad in C/C++, how can I get it and is it legal?
>>
>>56495905
You can beg Microsoft for acces to the source code.

But that would make it illegal for you anytime in the future to commit to Wine or ReactOS. Chose wisely.

You can get the assembly code by disassembling the binary, just download IDA. You can probbaly decompile it then, fix in a couple of places, and have a maybe working copy. Bear in mind thay it'd never be identical to the one that

But why would you do that to begin with? It would be much much easier to just reimplement it from scratch.
>>
>>56496146
*the one that Microsoft has.
>>
>>56495905
they're just provoking you in order to get you to do some research
>>
>get the source code for notepad
>"But you can't professor, Windows is a closed-source pile of shit. I can get you the gedit source code because it is free as in freedom"
>>
>>56495905
https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/tree/master/programs/notepad

Just replace all Wine references to copyright Microsoft Redmond. Your teacher probably won't notice the difference ;)
>>
>>56496250
OP, this is the perfect solution.

Just make sure it compiles.
>>
>>56495905
I guess your professor is a freetard and the point of the task is that you can't (decompiing is technically illegal).
>>
>>56496146
>get the assembly code by disassembling the binary, just download IDA
You can also get the PDB to notepad straight from MSs servers, which will make the disassembly much more readable by knowing all the function names.
>>
>>56496218
/thread
>>
>>56495905
>get challenge
>immediately ask /g/ to spoon feed you

This is why you will fail
>>
File: aPWoENK_460s_v1.jpg (53KB, 460x290px) Image search: [Google]
aPWoENK_460s_v1.jpg
53KB, 460x290px
>>56497491
>This is why he will succeed at university and fail abominably in industry

ftfy
>>
>>56496218
yet notepad is still better
subhuman freetards btfo
>>
>>56496146
Is reactOS legal and will it be shut down in the future? I honestly think it's a good idea but will Microsoft kill it off?
>>
>>56495905
Get the notepad source from back when MS released the source of windows to academy.
Old as fuck version but it's not that notepad has been updated significantly in the years.
>>
>>56499415
Reverse engineering is allowed by law
>>
>>56499415
ReactOS has been worked on since 2002. If microsoft had any inclination to shut it down they would have. On top of that it's still barely usable after all this time.
>>
>>56498857
Fuck off Microshit motherfucker
>>
download a hex editor
open notepad on it
copy paste whatever is in it
>>
>>56499497
It's against Microsoft's license agreement though.
>>
>>56500205
law > licensing agreements
>>
>>56500244
licensing agreements are the law.
>>
>>56500263
Yes, bourgeoisie rule the world.
>>
>>56499497
Not according to US law

>>56500244
See above.

>>56500263
Only in some countries (like US)
>>
>>56500263
>laws can conflict
>>
>>56495905
Go grab the leaked source codes of Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 on bytecode club. There you go
>>
>>56495905
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html
>>
>>56495905
Download the Windows 2000 and NT4 source leaks and see if you can find it
>>
If this is for a programming class im sure the challenge is to write a basic text editor as its fairly simple not to reverse engineer. We were given similar assignments to make calculator and charmap and other basic applications.
>>
>>56500325
>>56501099
/thread
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.