[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently I started learning about the Internet and its (lack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: bear_suit_lain_vector_by_saioul.png (179KB, 1024x946px) Image search: [Google]
bear_suit_lain_vector_by_saioul.png
179KB, 1024x946px
Recently I started learning about the Internet and its (lack of) privacy. I downloaded a few browser add ons and some other software to help me protect myself better. An example of the measures I am taking is PeerBlock, which blocks known bad computers from accessing my computer.

Now what I do not understand: how do these computers access my PC? How do they know my IP? Also, WHY do they access my PC? What information can they gather?

I know this post proves I am tech illiterate, but I am trying to broaden my knowledge on these subjects, so please be nice.
>>
p-pls respond ;_;
>>
>>56494965
[dumbed down explanation]
They know your IP because it's the address that you need in order to receive/send anything online. ~

You can hide yourself through proxies, creating layers that are really hard to break in, hiding yourself.

They gather anything, really. Your OS uses telemetry and your searches or location status are valuable data for big companies sell you shit.

Check out VPN stuff, TOR, and use OpenSource software that is tested by massive userbases.

This is REALLY dumbed down, search and look for more info.
>>
>post no 56494322
Lmao
enjoy your empty bank account
>>
>>56494322
Never heard of PeerBlock but it sounds like a glorified hosts file. This is the video you should watch if you're concerned about what they can do https://youtube.com/watch?v=dNZrq2iK87k
>>
File: 1377830785.jpg (30KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1377830785.jpg
30KB, 720x480px
>>56494322
>how do these computers access my PC?
>How do they know my IP?
The same way you connect to them to view a webpage or so.
In a connection, both get info about the other in order to communicate.

>Also, WHY do they access my PC? What information can they gather?

Generally to get your shekels/info. They can get whatever you have online if the one targetting you has real interest in you and has the knowledge to do so.

Also, stay strong fellow Lainbro.
>>
OP, just give it up. Privacy on the internet is nigh on impossible. If you don't make it your life goal and invest all your education, time and money in the intricacies of how computers and the Internet work then you will be vulnerable. In today's world the governments of this world have made it incredibly hard for you to be 100% sure of your privacy. They won.
>>
File: peerblock.png (5KB, 377x223px) Image search: [Google]
peerblock.png
5KB, 377x223px
>>56495062
So only the websites I connect to know my IP, right? But in PeerBlock I can see the IPs attempting to acces my PC, and they are not from websites I visit. Where did they get my IP from?

Also I have started using a lot of FOSS and disabled telemetric stuff on Windows. Thanks for the reply.

>>56495077
Thanks for the video. PeerBlock is a PeerGaurdian fork IIRC.

>>56495085
As I replied to the other anon, there are IPs attempting to connect that don't have my IP because I visited a website. Do you know how they obtained my IP?

pic related
>>
File: 1383552169.jpg (130KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1383552169.jpg
130KB, 1520x1080px
>>56495204
They can get your IP if you connected to a website, but they can also try to get to you randomly.
Look info about static and dinamic routing, more specifically about if your IP is dinamic or static.
>>
While >>56495128 is correct, I should say you might as well make it as difficult for them as possible. Start by asking yourself how much technology you really need, and begin pruning there. Don't use services or patron sites that refuse to respect your privacy. Remember the maxim that if something seems "free", it's because you're the product. In truth this in itself is something that'll be logged and monitored, but living off the grid only tells them that you're a non-conformist and leaves the rest to guesswork.

>>56495204
Those incoming requests could be from many different things: redirects, software you have installed, firmware, remote pings, all sorts. IP blocks are not really private (you can ping whole blocks of residential addresses from any open terminal with an internet connection) and you leave a trail whenever you use a modern browser.
>>
is openvpn any good? I wish I knew how to use it
>>
>>56495128
This is a thing I read a lot: total privacy is impossible. However, I kind of enjoy learning about the Internet and privacy, and setting things up to protect my privacy just sort of became a hobby.

>>56495280
Thanks, I will look into this.

>>56495481
Thanks for your explanation and wisdom.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.