[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to find programmers (for games) - Question thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: DK autobiography.jpg (31KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
DK autobiography.jpg
31KB, 320x480px
Sup /g/
So I've got a few questions about working with developers, but first some context:

>be business person
>have well designed idea and business plan for a video game that is not overly ambitious or technically difficult(including finance, design, distribution, promotion etc.)
>have access to capital
>have very limited understanding of programming
(only understand a number of fundamental principles and concepts, experience building a website and doing limited .php, .css, studied logic)
>play video games and understand the principles of game mechanics well
>want to make a game and make money as well as have people on the team make money on the project
>don't know any programmers/developers

So my general question is how would I approach getting something like this off the ground?
I'm not necessarily interested in people having the most impressive resumes, I want switched-on, talented people that can deliver a product.
I'm not interested in bullshit political concerns like women in tech, or fags or anything like that. I just want to make a good product that your salt of the earth gamers will enjoy. Accordingly I want to work with devs who match these values.

>tl;dr business guy want to meet developers who can make games, doesn't know where to start

Thanks /g/entoomen
>>
File: 00-01n-russian-women-03-12.jpg (173KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
00-01n-russian-women-03-12.jpg
173KB, 1200x1000px
C'mon /g/
Somebody has to have some advice about getting a dev project off the ground, or how to meet devs
>>
>put add about said job and interview
>group all the interested in one room
>say your objective is making games with high quality while EA and ubisoft games play in the background
>then ask for opinions
>hire the one that say "but they are shit".
>>
>I want switched-on, talented people that can deliver a product

unfortunately the video game industry is very competitive. In order to get talented video game developers, you either need to be one yourself or have connections with some really good programmers from high tier universities or with impressive portfolios if you have a low budget. It's prob still possible without a high budget or connections, but consider how risky the business is; you can't be sure if your product is going to succeed.

The only way of measuring passion and talent is to look at their blogs and portfolios.

Describe your business model please
>>
File: tumblr_mh8sz1Oo9W1s2i4m9o1_500.jpg (110KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mh8sz1Oo9W1s2i4m9o1_500.jpg
110KB, 500x708px
>>56484670
I like this idea. Thanks friend.

Is this more of a /v/ topic? I hope not because those fucks are useless.

THREAD THEME:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx8BDjnsv54
>>
File: Favim.com-1444.jpg (125KB, 500x799px)
Favim.com-1444.jpg
125KB, 500x799px
>>56484735

>Describe your business model please

Sure thing (rough outline, obviously I won't give much away)

>have concept which fits in the biggest niche of games (PC games at least)
>completely novel from a setting/design point of view (I could not find a single product that has done this)
>great creative team (writing)
>not overly ambitious from a technical point of view - think Verdun as an analogue in terms of scale and technical demand/graphics etc.
>have good marketing plan and skills
>want to give the market something that is good value and enjoyable, without treating them like shit by either ripping them off or shoving political ideology down their throats (not a merchant obviously...)
>want to create long term value and give team members a stake in the profits as well as work on future products.

There are a number of successful applications to this overall approach, so it confirms to me that it can work and I know I could pull it off, but obviously I need a great team.
>>
File: Vasilisa.jpg (336KB, 1072x1354px) Image search: [Google]
Vasilisa.jpg
336KB, 1072x1354px
>>56484735
>>56484942

Another comparable game in terms of technical scale is Chivalry.

So let me ask this:

How many man hours is a project like Verdun or Chivalry? Very rough estimate is fine.
Would 1 person be able to do it if working full time for a year?
2 people?

(Just dev work, not writing, admin, business, etc.)
Thanks
>>
>>56484942
Your problem is getting a great team ofc.

There are a number of sites you can try
stack overflow allows employers to advertise positions. not sure how effective it is. probably not very effective.

Usually big projects like this with a small budget are done with a 3D game engine like Unreal or Unity. Commercial licenses mean these things are going to cost. I think Unreal has a cost in terms of royalties.

I'd have no idea how long this stuff takes to make using one of those 3D engines. If you have a small team you might want to think about using one of them though. Your best bet is to just email someone "in the industry" for advice through email. even if you don't know them, I don't see what could go wrong.

I hope my advice is ok, apologies if not
>>
>>56485361

Very much appreciated.

I've certainly been thinking that Unreal would be the way to go for those very reasons.
>>
What are you doing ? Don't respond to yourself like that.

go there >>>/agdg/ and be called an idea guy.
The thing is, if you have no connection and nothing to show about what you've done before you're going to have a hard time finding what you seek.
Talented programmers in this try to make games by themselves and then hire artists if they need to. They organically makes connections for future projects more ambitious if they want to.
>>
>>56485635

I'd be bringing more to the table than just an idea.
I would be putting up capital.
I would be providing the creative direction, 2d designs, etc.
I would be providing the business skills for management, promotion, distribution etc.

Surely not all talented programmers have jobs, are working on projects, have the capital/ideas for themselves?
>>
>>56484227
Programmers are not game developers. Programmers might program a game, but that's no different than any other application. Good luck finding a game developer who can actually design a decent game without poaching them from a real company.
>>
>>56485841

Assuming all the design is done by others (and is done well), is it hard to find a programmer that can make the product?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.