[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSD And Other Things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: fmspf-front-cover-2015-12-02-50.jpg (205KB, 450x675px) Image search: [Google]
fmspf-front-cover-2015-12-02-50.jpg
205KB, 450x675px
/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers, report troll generals and off-topic arguments.
>>
I'm trying to install FreeBSD but running into errors, can I ask some questions here?

First, dd won't burn the image properly.
I downloaded this image
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/i386/ISO-IMAGES/10.3/FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img
And tried
dd if=FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=sync

Where sdb was a couple different mSD cards, SD, and tried with a flash drive but my computer won't boot when I select any of them as boot device. One weird thing is that lsblk shows just /dev/sdb without a /dev/sdb1 installer partition after running dd. Tried without bs=1M and without conv=sync, no luck.
>>
I'm the guy from last night who was trying to install TrueOS.

It keeps failing to boot with a mountroot error of 2, 5, or 19
What might be the problem?

If I can't figure it out, I might try a straight FreeBSD install and then just add the other stuff like X and XFCE and the apps I need.

But, before I rewrite my fricking SD card a 4th time, I wanna see if anyone might have a solution.

I don't have it trying to run atm, but basically it says Solaris fails to mount on the zfs:tank/dev/initial or something like that?
and then it returns the error I mentioned above. I tried remounting it, but it doesn't seem to recognize anything.
>Also, why the fuck does TrueOS have boot material from Oracle/Solaris, if its based system is FreeBSD?
>>
>>56474183
or I think it was zfs:tank/ROOT/INITIAL, actually...

something along those lines, though
>>
6.0 CDs are here! Very nice artwork.
>>
>>56474183
Just install FreeBSD: it will be less annoying in the long run.
>>
>>56471021
What OS are you running dd on? Maybe just burn a CD or DVD instead.
>>
What about Intel HD Graphics, KMS, and corruption when acceleration is enabled?
>>
>>56477120
Alright. I'll try again later doing it that way.

Will the default disk image have drivers for my wifi, though? Or, is there something I can add to it to make sure it does?
>>
>>56478058
Honestly no idea since I own a desktop and not a laptop. The quickest way to find out would be to try out a netinstall CD.
>>
>>56478282
It's a netbook. It has no optical drive, and I have no USB ones lying around.

Also, it notoriously keeps frying hard drives due to power problems, so I can't put another HDD in there.
>it WAS my sister's, but she lost like 3 hard drives in it.

I was trying to install to an SD card from a USB disk image.
>>
>>56474183
>>56477194
I'm not him, but I had the same problem with FreeBSD. Couldn't solve it yet, as I ran into this problem >>56471021 when I tried again.

>>56477194
Tried it on Arch and on slax, the problem remained.
I don't have a CD or a DVD writer, but would it make sense to try dd with if=CDimage of=mSDcard ?

Some things I didn't clarify: the boot flag was enabled in the boot drives and the error I got was the typical one of trying to boot from something that doesn't have an OS. The one about a PXE ROM or something like that.
>>
>>56475522
The songs are great also.
>>
>>56470526
why is bsd's logo literally satan?
no wonder it never took off
>>
File: Rock.jpg (79KB, 255x323px) Image search: [Google]
Rock.jpg
79KB, 255x323px
>>56480305
FreeBSD != BSD

Their logo is a bit strange though.
OpenBSD's Puffy is much cooler.
>>
>>56480305
It comes from the term "daemon", the name of a background programs.

That term comes from the greek methodology. So idk why the mascot is now a catholic daemon.
>>
File: 180px-Openbsd.jpg (7KB, 180x196px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Openbsd.jpg
7KB, 180x196px
>>56480588
Beastie is the generic BSD mascot, the orb is FreeBSD specific.
>>
>>56481883

That might've been true in the 90s, but now everyone associates the daemon with FreeBSD specifically.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.