[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old people and technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1454201443287.jpg.gif (170KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1454201443287.jpg.gif
170KB, 250x188px
>used to program in Pascal and a little Fortran
>worked a lot with computers in university
>thousands of punchcards
>the most advanced storage method was tape
>he literally needs help to turn on a computer
>gets confused if the monitor is off but the computer is on

will this happen to me too when im 60 years old like my old man? can people get "burnt out" of technology and knowledge ?

on a sidenote my mother uses ubuntu in a laptop for 2 years now and she loves it
>>
You'll find out when you're older.
>>
>>56452470
Do you actually care about computers? Back then, they were just a tool for other fields, and nothing to be passionate about in their own right. Your dad didn't care for computers, he just used them to do his research and job.

As long as you actually care, you'll probably be fine. Especially since the current trend is that newer generations are getting worse and worse at using computers.
>>
>>56453028
The "tek savvy millenial" meme is the worst
>>
File: Huh.png (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Huh.png
30KB, 300x300px
>>56452470
>hit keyboard
>monitor shuts down
>>
File: 1463614516887-1.gif (316KB, 403x447px) Image search: [Google]
1463614516887-1.gif
316KB, 403x447px
>build PC for highschool computer lessons teacher
>get called to "fix and remove viruses dem antivirus is saying its infected!"
>in fact everytime its bullshit popups like "Your virus database is updating right now..."
>get cash every time i go there and literally do nothing
>>
>>56453506
but it's true
>>
>>56452470
I was wondering the same thing the other day, and noticed that I changed already quite a bit in my relationship to tech.

I was in my late teens in the 90s, back then I knew the BIOS version of my rig by heart, I could recite GPU benchmark scores and knew CPU release dates. I grew up in an era where I would look at the back of the box of a video game first, checking if I could meet the minimum system requirements, and then investigating whether the game is worth playing.

I don't give a shit now.

I couldn't tell you which CPU is in my main gaming rig right now. It's an i3 of some sorts, I think, paired with a GTX 770 maybe. I've turned into a workaholic and my free time is dominated by learning and making music. That said, I'm not anti-technology, but I do believe a year or two without any computers would probably do my soul a favour.
>>
>>56453506
Well, millennials are considered tech savvy because most of them at least bother to read what the software says when it doesn't work. None of them bothers to at least Google what it actually means, but that's another thing.

What I have seen people in their 40s and up doing is making sure that they won't read anything the software says and close every error message ASAP.
>>
>>56454811
i can relate. growing up i went from being a typical video game nerd to wanting to know computers, then learning more and more from /b/ and /g/ throughout high school. i graduated hs in 2014 and have been doing an online associates in CIT, i'm done in 9 months. but after graduating high school, getting a job, learning guitar, i decided i don't want to do this with my life.

i mean yes, i am glad i know how to assemble my own pc now (which i did for the first time a few months ago), i use a t430 i repasted myself and disinfected, etc.

i want to maintain a level of knowledge so that i can do things myself, but i don't want to make a living in IT. i even plan on pursuing a different major once i get my associates.
>>
>>56454811
>I don't give a shit now.
no wonder since things you mentioned are worthless to know and a waste of time
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.