[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 47

File: aZp7QGn_460s_v2.jpg (70KB, 460x616px) Image search: [Google]
aZp7QGn_460s_v2.jpg
70KB, 460x616px
>>
>>56450479
That computer is mainly going to be used for internet browsing so upgrading it seems like a waste (unless I really have to), just wondering if the slowness is because some of the hardware parts are old at this point or if it's just software problems that'll be solved by a clean install and some preformance tweaks
>>
>>56450856
Degredation of system performance is usually due to cumulative system bloat and/or fragmentation on a HDD
If your CPU temps are very high it might be thermally throttling, but otherwise hardware issues just make stuff crash or not work at all rather than just slow down.
Getting an SSD on an old machine isn't a huge waste since you could always move it to a different computer easily.
>>
>>56450754
Is it viable to invest on a server to stream content to a shit laptop? (Assuming internet is not a problem)
>>
I'm planning to use this tv as a monitor potentially, how can I find the response time?

>http://www.tesco.com/direct/blaupunkt-49-1480-full-hd-49-inch-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/139-1092.prd?skuId=139-1092
>>
>>56450937
Maybe
>>
File: PSU.png (7KB, 417x183px) Image search: [Google]
PSU.png
7KB, 417x183px
My computer has been crashing lately, is my PSU fucked?

>Pic related
>>
Anyone have experience BIOS flashing Maxwell GPUs and have a link to a guide that works ?

I want to enable fanless mode on my 960, but nvflash gets angry when I try to flash my tweaked BIOS.
>>
>>56450754
Can i solder upgrades to a macbook air?
>>
What happens if I stick the leads of a standard 3.5mm green LED in an american power outlet?
>>
>>56450856
rarely is things getting/feeling slower is caused by the hardware actually becoming slower
most computer hardware either works perfectly or not at all

it's always a combination of various other factors, such as;
- higher expectations (using faster hardware might make you perceive your hardware as feeling slower, even if it's really unchanged)
- hdd fragmentation
- software/OS configuration or issues (more things starting on boot, running more things at once, etc)
- newer software that has higher requirements
- newer websites/media/services which have higher requirements (such as a website using heavier javascript, or switching up from watching SD videos to HD videos)
and so on
>>
>>56450977
Why do you want a custom bios?
>>
>>56450982
Yes, but it's hard as fuck, in the newer ones its almost impossible
>>
>>56450987
A pretty light show
>>
>>56450993
Literally said in my post that I want to enable fanless mode on my 960, it's not enabled on my model out of the box.

I guess it'd be nice to set my overclocks directly in its BIOS too so it's not controlled by an external program, but that might be too complicated to mess with.
>>
>>56450987
borgers :DDDD
>>
>>56450987
They will burn so quickly you won't even see them flashing. They are not going to explode if that's what you want to know
>>
>>56450987
i wouldn't recommend holding the led with your fingers
>>
File: benis.png (6KB, 419x249px) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
6KB, 419x249px
Lost the charger for my 5v 350mA hair clipper, is there anywhere i could buy one for cheap?
>>
>>56451055
Pretty much any phone charger if you have a spare lying around
>>
>>56450901
>>56450988
Yeah, I should've figured, thank you

Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus? I h ave a feeling my current one and the browser are the things that consume the most.
>>
>>56451070
>Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus?
Windows Defender.
>>
I just booted my pc after a third try. First 2 tries was my motherboard failing to boot (my indication is the motherboard lights) while the fans for case, cpu and gpu spun. I unplugged the usb that I used for charging my cellphone and waited for a while then it booted. I'm afraid /g/. I just built this 3 months ago. I have a 550w psu and a 1070 amp extreme, which should have about 100w room to move around
>>
File: Qa.jpg (72KB, 398x226px) Image search: [Google]
Qa.jpg
72KB, 398x226px
>>56451070
>Any recommendation for a low-requirement free antivirus?
common sense 2017 alpha 3
or clamwin/clam sentinel if you need to soothe the paranoia
>>
>>56451088
Avast
>>
File: fucking pancakes.jpg (50KB, 436x418px) Image search: [Google]
fucking pancakes.jpg
50KB, 436x418px
So if i buy this

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01DPAQSW0

And this

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B019JWZCOS

And that

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GHALF2Y/

I can plug the mic into any computer right ?
>>
How do I secure my computer/data when browsing on public wifi?
>>
>>56451134
VPN
>>
>>56450754
What's a good linux command for inserting a specific line AT THE TOP of a file?
Something like
echo "A specific header" >> file_to_be_headed.extension 

Only instead of echo, it has to be something that puts it at the top instead of at the bottom.
>>
>>56451129
I guess but that's a lot of shit just to get a mediocre mic working
>>
>>56451147
Maybe xargs?
>>
>>56451184
Mic is what this very thread recommended

Give me something better if you know it
>>
File: 1409658895732.png (164KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
1409658895732.png
164KB, 500x457px
I downloaded a album in FLAC but it's the entire album in one single file. I understand I can use a program that will use the .cue file to split it into individual songs. What Windows program should I use?
>>
Is there an app/software/website to send pictures to another person without third-parties seeing it?
>>
How to know if someone on my network is using up the bandwidth?
>>
>>56451351

Like imgur, sli.mg, or Dropbox?

Or do you not want people (mods/admins) on those websites/services being able to see if they felt like looking?

If so make a passworded zip file and then make it into a torrent file and seed it to your friend long enough for him to download it.
>>
rust or go?
i want to make some simple desktop programs, and i liked the whole cargo thing.
Both can be compiled to run without having to install anything else on the user's pc right?
Which one has more/better libraries?
Which one would you reccommend?
>>
>>56451406
C++
>>
>>56450754
anyone here a LaTex wiz? I have huge problems with biber that is ranting about a wrong biblatex controlfile version.

I have biber 2.5
BCF is currently on 3.0 and according to the Error it should be 3.1

How do I update my bcf ? I installed TexLive via the internetsite (downloaded the whole package).
>>
>>56451419
I'm going to learn that separately, i want another one just to try something new. I'm sure I will eventually need a library that rust/go doesn't have and then i will go back to c++
>>
>>56451397
I mean like whatsapp but ''safe''. I'm not sure if whatsapp is safe, is it?
>>
>>56451463
And by safe I mean encrypted.
>>
File: wew.webm (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wew.webm
1MB, 1920x1200px
This shit is driving me nuts, basically I have this weird modem/router (I don't really know the difference) that has my ISP's shitty firmware, I heard about OpenWrt but I can't for the life of me configure this shit properly. The shitty firmware one uses "PPPoE" with a user and password to connect but I have no idea how to configure the same way in OpenWrt, can anyone help me out? i don't have any extra modem/routers just this one with the line and wired into my PC
>>
File: a.png (163KB, 816x726px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
163KB, 816x726px
>>56451366
see if your router has a bandwidth monitor, if it doesn't install a firmware or get a router that does
>>
>>56451492
using PPPoE means it's has a modem, if it also has an ethernet port, then (likely) it's also a router
most consumer "routers" or "modems" are actually both a router and a modem in one unit
check out;
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/internet.connection

setting up openwrt won't be quite as simple as your original firmware, as a lot of things were pre-configured in your original firmware with defaults suited for what your ISP/country typically uses. openwrt is designed for many more use cases, and isn't even always used to connect to the internet, so there's no "one click" way to set it up how your original firmware was
>>
>>56451486
>>56451463
whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted now.
>>
>>56451680
But it's possible to use the openwrt just as my "modem" firmware right? like just connecting directly to the internet and having wireless like my old firmware? I tried adding a new pppoe interface with the web UI, added the user and pass and shit but it didn't connect, should I activate the bridge from lan to wan (ppoe thing) together?

Also the link you posted... I already tried one of those CLI tutorials, got stuck at "/etc/init.d/br2684ctl start"

br2684ctl is not found in init.d every time.
>>
how do i get windows 10 to snap apps when in portrait mode?
>>
When I log onto my router, I was surprised to see that it doesn't actually have any options for logging traffic.

If I want to log the traffic of other computers using my router, do I need to use some third party garbage?
>>
Between windows 3.1 and windows 7 microsoft stopped using numbers
so how did they came to the conclusion that windows 7 was the 7th ? heres my theory
- Windows 1.0
- Windows 2.0
- Windows 3.0
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 3.11 For Workgroups
- Windows 95/98/ME (Windows 4 )
- Windows 2000 Professional (Windows 5)
- Windows XP Professional (Windows 6)
- Windows Vista (not that different from win7)
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 (9 ?)
- Windows 10
>>
>>56451768
>But it's possible to use the openwrt just as my "modem" firmware right?

If that box is responsible for both connecting you to the outside world, and broadcasting wifi around your house, then it is both your modem and your router. We call the combination a gateway.
>>
I found a deal for kindle paperwhite 2, a little over half the price of a new paperwhite 3
Should I go for it?
>>
>>56451858
Windows vista used Windows NT kernel version 6.0
So they numbered the next windows "7" but kept the NT kernel at 6.1
>>
>>56451823
It would be more accurate to say that you picked a router with garbage firmware, and if you're lucky then some badass alternative firmware has been made for it so you don't have to go out and spend 3x as much to get a router with some decent features.
>>
>>56451858
(only counting consumer versions)
1.x = 1.x
2.x = 2.x
3.x = 3.x
95 = 4.0
98 = 4.1
ME = 4.9
XP = NT 5.1
Vista = NT 6.0
7 = NT 6.1 (uh huh)

basically, MS counted 9x as a group
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
9x = 4
xp = 5
vista = 6
7 = 7
>>
I just want to encrypt my traffic

will running a local network VPN on a VM on my laptop before routing to the gateway work the same as a VPN from a remote server?
>>
What kinda shit can I put on my desk to make it look comfy?

I don't have any family photos.
>>
>>56451983
What's the point of the VM?
>>
>>56452032
the VM is a dedicated OpenVPN container
>>
What do you think, will this new Win server Nano be available on rPi 3?
>>
>>56451562
Other than this?
>>
File: thinking.png (85KB, 388x218px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
85KB, 388x218px
>>56451887
The problem is that pretty much all tutorials assume I have more than one equipment instead of just the modem, this one for example
http://superuser.com/a/742256

"this should be the network port connected to the your ISP modem", what is my "ISP modem"? I only have one modem and it's the one openwrt is installed on. How do I google this properly
>>
File: 80331335.jpg (48KB, 397x378px) Image search: [Google]
80331335.jpg
48KB, 397x378px
My phone automatically turns the volume down to half every so often, and won't let me turn it back up until I click OK on a window reminding me of the dangers of hearing loss.

Any way I can disable it?

Android 5.0.2 - Xperia Z2

I don't even use headphones with my phone, it's always the 3.5mm in the car or bluetooth with a portable speaker.
>>
>>56452066
I mean what are you imagining the benefit of running that inside a VM is vs just setting it up on a tap adapter in the host system like normal?
>>
>>56451055
Anything that's 5V, and at least 350ma.

That's the most common shit you can find, phone chargers, usb ports, wall warts.
>>
>>56451983
what's the point of this?

plus what's the point of using vpn to your gateway??
>>
>>56452115
Mostly people just flash firmware on routers, not combo gateways. What's your model?
>>
>>56452115
Root your brick and install "xposed installer"

Search the module that disables the volume danger popup
>>
>>56451942
but where is windows 2000 then
and i thought windows vista and 7 were almost identical in the core despite the visual differences
>>
>>56452186
Shit, got distracted by >>56452115 picture

That was meant for >>56452131
>>
>>56452170
>Mostly people just flash firmware on routers, not combo gateways.
it depends on where you live
in some places seperate modems and routers are more common, in other places it's more common to have combo units
where i live for example, next to no consumer has seperate devices
>>
>>56452135
I like the process separation, that's pretty mmuch it.

>>56452169
I want to encrypt my traffic. If i'm not home, I would turn on the local VPN. Would it work like a remote VPN?
>>
>>56452186
>Z2
>Brick

but yeah, xposed is what you want
>>
File: Fan.jpg (85KB, 425x489px) Image search: [Google]
Fan.jpg
85KB, 425x489px
Somewhere around 2 years ago, the fan on my CPU suddenly started spinning much faster, going from about 1200rpm to 3200rpm.

I tried replacing the fan for a different one, no change.
I tried replacing the thermal paste, no change.

Two years later I've not seen any problems other than the excessively loud noise the fan makes spinning that fast, which I've been curing by turning the fan speed down to about 14% using pic related. I normally forget the problem is even there as I don't know how to fix it and don't know what problems may arise from it, but I figure I might as well ask you guys exactly that; What might the fault be that's causing it and does it matter if I leave it alone?
>>
>>56452199
windows 2000 wasn't a consumer version of windows, only workstation and server editions were released (there was Neptune, which was intended to be a home version of 2000, but it wasn't completed)
and yea, Vista and 7 were just about the same thing technically, but due to the negative press vista was getting around its release, MS wanted to distance the follow up from it as much as it could
>>
>>56452212
>I want to encrypt my traffic

From where to where?

Encrypting traffic from your PC to your router aka default gateway won't do shit if you plan to hide your traffic from anyone seeing what site you have visited for example. Setting it in VM is extra retarded because that VM shared the same public IP address of your PC.

I don't see a situation where you'd want to encrypt traffic from pc to your home router
>>
>>56452271
Basically, I want a VPN when Im browing away from home.

Do I have to have remote VPN to encrypt my traffic or will a local one suffice?
>>
>>56452228
most likely;
a. bios automatic fan speed control has been disabled
b. build up of dust on the fan/heatsink has increased the fan speed requirement to hit the desired temperature target
>>
>>56451905
Any help?
I need to make a decision tonight.
Either this or a brand new boyue T62
Which one should I get?
>>
>>56452286
First of all, do you have a desktop or a laptop or a smartphone?

if you change locations aka routers, you buy vpn account on website and connect it to your pc, you don't need to think about routers or anything in between.

I don't know of good VPN providers because i don't need it
>>
>>56452326
laptop

I dont want a VPN to change my ip. I want it to encrypt my traffic in public networks.

Will my VPN local suffice? (not paid)
>>
Ever since updating my Android phone, it now insists I enter the password whenever I turn the phone on and won't let me fingerprint unlock it until I've done the password at least once. Any way to change it back to the old behavior? This is annoying, whole reason I set up the fingerprint thing is because I don't like entering my password on my phone. It seems like a useless security measure anyway since either way a determined and knowledgeable person could bypass the password just as easily as the fingerprint, not as if the contents of the phone itself are encrypted or anything I even consider that worthy of such high security. Fingerprint lock was mostly just meant to deter casual snooping anyway, and to force someone who finds the phone to look at the lock screen and see my name and address and maybe consider doing a good deed rather than the dick thing.
>>
>>56452343
Think of VPN as a tunnel, it has 2 sides and no one else can see what traffic goes on inside

If you create only your side of the tunnel you do nothing, you need an exit point. If you don't do that, you're not encrypting anything

So, local vpn will not be enough. You need either vpn provider or a pc that's always on somewhere in the world that also runs vpn for you to connect to
>>
>>56452343
What you want to do isn't too hard, and you can do it from a host, a VM or even a custom flashed router. You just need to sign up for a free service like noIP to route back home to your dynamic IP.
>>
>>56452206
I wasn't talking about how common separate devices were. I was saying it's unusual to try putting custom firmware on a combination device.
>>
>>56452353
Speaking of which, I noticed the little scrolling bar with my contact info doesn't appear on my lock screen anymore, even though it's still set to do so in settings. What's up with that?
>>
File: This fucking phone.jpg (104KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
This fucking phone.jpg
104KB, 504x504px
So i have this IP Phone (Yealink T19P) and the piece of shit wont recieve nor send any sounds when i call other phones in the same PBX server. It does work when i dial the IP number instead of the extension.

Why is this? I thought it was the codecs but the settings are exactly the same in the other phones.

Can you help me /g/?
>>
>>56452439
>it's unusual to try putting custom firmware on a combination device.
not where i live
just having or finding anything besides a combo device is rare here
if you want to have seperate devices, you would get two combo devices and just disable what you don't use from either
>>
>>56452476
What model of gateway have you managed to put OpenWRT on? Do all functions work for you?
>>
Why don't they ust call umount unmount? Like you're just one letter away from perfectly describing what the command doe, just fucking make it unmount? What is umount? You're shortening un? Why? If you want to shorten it make it unmnt or something. Like what is the FUCKING problem here?
>>
>>56452170
It's a "DSLink 485" but the internal part is basically a "AR-5382u", I'm actually using the AR firmware now instead of the DSLink shit one
>>
>>56452413
okay, i think I will just delegate it to my VPS
thanks
>>
File: ffmpeg-logo.png (9KB, 396x100px) Image search: [Google]
ffmpeg-logo.png
9KB, 396x100px
ffmpeg -i DSC_8990.MOV -c:v libx264 -b:v 1000k -vf subtitles=DSC_8990.srt -vf scale=1280:720 out.mp4

Why are my subs not turning into hardsubs?
>>
>>56452514
several, and yes, i've had them working as a switch, AP (not all i've used had wifi hardware) and ADSL modem at the same time as they're intended to be used
>>
>>56452234
>windows 2000 wasn't a consumer version
Wow
Why did I use it back in the day then?
>>
>>56452538
cloud vps or vm one?
>>
>>56451858
8 is 6.2
8.1 is 6.3
>>
>>56452567
I've always pictured you as more of an anarchist than a consumer.
>>
>>56452568
cloud vps. Just one of those cheap $5/year VPS

I don't want to open up my home network
>>
>>56452567
because you bought a workstation?
because you were sick of 9x's issues?
because you didn't play many games?
idk, you tell me
>>
Why does NoScript keep affecting certain things even when I have it set to allow scripts globally?

For example, with all scripts allowed, I can't launch a BF3 game because I keep getting pop-ups telling me to start Origin, even tho it's already running. I have to disable NoScript completely for it to work.
>>
Can someone shill Linux for me? Macfag here.
>>
>>56452593
because noscript does more than just block javascript
>>
>>56452588
I don't know what you thought we were talking about. And you don't "open up" your home network. You just install a tiny application that checks your current IP and reports any differences to a DNS server so your devices can know which IP to connect to.
>>
>>56452552
try converting your subs to .ass and use the ass filter instead of subtitles filter.
>>
>>56452587
Wat do you mean?
Believe me or not, but I became aware of WinME only years after its release, somewhere in Vista times.
>>
>>56452567
you are not me
>>
>>56452610
You lucky bastard.
>>
>>56452596
you can learn a lot if you have the balls to go deep and do small projects like a homemade website, a VoIP server, a ssh server...

also you can learn a lot by just using it
>>
>>56452606
Yes but you'd also need to portforward on your host and router to allow traffic to pass
>>
>>56452600
I've unchecked everything I can in the options. What other hidden features are there?
>>
What is best?
DNS adblocking or ublock?
>>
>>56452668
Ublock is more configurable and allows much more granular controls, rather than a simple will/won't work for each page
>>
>>56452567
Because Windows ME was awful and you got tired of 98SE
>>
>>56452706
yeah, it seems like stuff like google adds are still present. I guess ill just combine them. website loading seemed faster with the dns adblocking.
>>
Why is the same charger unable to charge another phone of mine? It's a 5v 2A charger but my other phone charges extremely slowly when used with it.
>>
>>56452718
windows 2000 came out before ME
>>
>>56450754
How can I get already displayed POST data in HTML to post again?

I'm trying to make an 'update' button for my sql 2008 database on an HTML web form, and after the search retrieves the results and they are displayed, I need to figure out how to get a result in my WHERE query.
>>
>>56452761
i got both at around the same time
>>
>>56450754
OP image made me openly laugh!

Is python a good first language? I have a feels that it is, but wanted the input of other complete hikikomori otaku faggets.
>>
What is a good way to activate XP? Dazloader doesn't work with XP and the "change product key" trick didn't work.

>inb4 don't use XP
Trying to restore a p4 shitbox
>>
>>56452943
>Trying to restore a p4 shitbox
Install Linux
>>
>>56452950
I already have an old core2 duo system running debian that I'm using for owncloud. This is just to have a comfy xp box around.
>>
someone is memeing me into getting a vpn
why would i do that?
>>
>>56452966
One second, i just what you're looking for.
Bonus points:
No activator needed. Just a registry tweak
>>
>>56452966
> xp
> unsupported software impossible to install anything remotely modern
> comfy
>>
>>56452981
The problem is that I've tried that and it didn't work. Using google is easier than posting here and waiting for a reply.

>>56452982
>implying this is going to be my main machine
>implying this won't be used for muh nostalgia type of shit
>>
>>56453030
Why not Windows Thin PC?
>>
>>56452968
Because you're too dumb to set up a seedbox
>>
>>56453047
I just have a thing for xp. What you posted seems interesting though.
>>
>>56452966
Okay here it is:
Do not use Internet Explorer to install updates. it will force you to install WGA. Toggle Windows Updates Automatically on and off to restore updates

Do not install Windows Genuine Advantage from the update client.

Do not install the EOL notification

This method is compatible with the POSReady Hack

https://burnz.wordpress.com/2007/09/25/how-to-make-windows-xp-genuine/

>>56453030
You need to do it on a clean install (within the 30 day limit) also make sure that you get an UNTOUCHED iso.

You can also try the OEMBIOS method. The OEMBIOS method will only work on a bare-metal Windows XP machine that was sold with Windows XP. I still prefer the registry method.

Here is a method for OEMBIOS. You'll need to look in the OEMBIOS archive to find your copy i think:
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/26911-The-Windows-XP-Repository

Good luck lad.
P.S
There are no Windows XP Activators, Only "WGA killers" which are bullshit.
>>
>>56453051
i dont need this shit
>>
>>56453051
>set up le zeed box XD
>still get busted by MPAA because the seedbox is in your house
>Implying using a VPS is no different then using a VPN
>>
>>56453093
>not just using the VLK/corporate version of XP that has no activation system
>>
>>56453120
They do have oobe.exe lol, which is what's on every single version of XP based oses, even Windows Server 2003 just has a re-skinned version of oobe.exe. same with tablet edition and media center.

The registry key works on all of them.
>>
>>56453101
And yet, you're here. Maybe someone's been away from their Dom a little too long?
>>
>>56453156
i dont download (((unsafe))) shit
also what is the point of having seedbox in my house?
>>
>>56450754

Having an issue with high idle CPU usage from Windows Search Indexer (around 15% at all times when it's enabled). Any idea why this would happen? Already tried rebuilding the index, but it didn't work.
>>
>>56453093
Thanks lad
>>
>>56453176
You took >>56453116 seriously? Bwahahahaha! A seedbox in you house is an oxymoron. And if all you're downloading is copies of ubuntu then there's no reason you would need one. But you, me, and OP know that's not all.
>>
Why do thinkpadders hate the newer thinkpads, i.e. the yoga? I need a tablet/laptop hybrid and it seems a great choice.
>>
>>56453401
Because they can't get them for $40 on ebay
>>
>>56453401
Chicklet keyboards. They're fucking trash.
If you don't mind chicklet, grab a Yoga.

Some people don't like them due to lack of Libreboot.
>>
where in the fuck do I buy a Z77 motherboard from that isn't 200+ dollars? I have an i5 3570k and I want to overclock it, but I currently have an H77 motherboard.
>>
File: 51uDdugUlIL.jpg (37KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
51uDdugUlIL.jpg
37KB, 500x463px
>>56450754
wtf did i do wrong?

I bought an i7-2720QM for my t420 to replace the i5-2520

when i dropped the chip in and started it up, nothing happens.

The powerbutton flashes a couple times then just stays on.

Somethings the thinklight comes on in this process.

the display never turns on (even through DP or VGA)

Is the CPU dead?
Or did i fuck up the install?

On a side note the i5 runs a lot cooler with artic MX4......
>>
>>56453488
>where in the fuck do I buy a Z77 motherboard from that isn't 200+ dollars
They cost 150-170
>>
>>56453549
but you can buy z170 and z97 boards for less than 90 :(
>>
Can you catch fish in any river or is it only certain rivers?
>>
What laptops have the best value for price ratio? Looking at the 500-1000 price range.
>>
>>56450754
Anybody know the name of that hot blonde British who runs a tech channel on youtube?
>>
Does anyone with Comcast as an ISP know if their Gigabit plans gives you 1gps upload speeds as well?
>>
File: Scorpio-Blue-SATA[1].jpg (41KB, 550x396px) Image search: [Google]
Scorpio-Blue-SATA[1].jpg
41KB, 550x396px
got one of those cases for a 2.5inch hdd to turn it into an external ssd
it came with a sticky foam pad that the manual doesnt even mention
to which side of the hdd should i stick it? does it matter if its the pcb or the case?
>>
Are there any VR games I can play together with my cat?
>>
>>56453943
Kind of doubt it. Symmetrical plans for consumer lines are rare, and I know Comcast does not offer them for most of their other plans. Quick googling shows they only give you 35mbps as well.
>>
>>56454000
Is VR even effective for cats? I thought traditional display technology made for humans didn't work well for them because their eyes work differently from ours.
>>
>>56454017
Wow that blows.
Google Fiber offers 1gps up/down, so I figured they would too. (Not in my area yet)Fucking stupid that in order to get fiber, I need to enter a 3 year contract of $70 a month, yet it skyrockets to $200 afterwards, yet Google fiber remains $70 with no data caps.

This monopoly shit sucks.
>>
>>56454092
Comcast contracts are bullshit too, they're almost impossible to get out of and if you try to cancel early they stick you with like 90% of the fees you would have paid over the remainder of the contract. My mom got stuck with one for her office and when she had to move to a new building where they wouldn't have been able to set up it was a nightmare. Their support people are notoriously rude and unhelpful as well.
>>
File: bat.jpg (45KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bat.jpg
45KB, 500x375px
I'm a computer engineering major, just started my 2nd year.
Should I minor in manufacturing?
>>
>>56454148
If you believe it will be useful to you.

I don't think employers really care about major/minor/whatever.
>>
>>56454148
For the love of god, if you're going to be designing laptops, don't make us take the whole thing apart to get to the hard drive. Put it under a panel.
>>
>>56454111
>Comcast contracts are bullshit too, they're almost impossible to get out of
Didn't know. I was actually planning on switching to their fiber plan for 3 years(to pay $70 a month) then immediately switching to Google Fiber(Since it'll hopefully be available then), but it sounds like they'll try to fuck me over.

>Their support people are notoriously rude and unhelpful as well.
Well that's to be expected considering they work for one of the worst ISP companies in America.

I'm with AT&T Uverse at the moment, paying nearly $90(overcharges) for 45Mbps(Which is actually 25Mbps since I always go over their tiny cap).Damn there's nothing I can do I guess aside from wait until Google saves me.

Shit sucks
>>
Whaddup /g/,

Im looking for a new video card, and these are the available (fucked up) prices in my country:

MSI RX 470 GAMING X 4GB $368
SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO+ 4GB $460
MSI GTX 1060 GAMING x 6GB $493

I know these prices are high, but i really want to buy a new video card, and another options arent convenient

Which one should i get?
>>
>>56454191
Well all I can say is just don't sign up for the contract if you have any reason to believe you won't want to stick with it for the full 3 years, because they will be very uncooperative about releasing you from it if you try to.
>>
File: Untitled.png (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
100KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone ran into a problem similar to this one?

SSD disk usage spikes up to 100% doing basic shit like extracting zip files or running install wizards.

I think it might be a problem with the pirated version of windows 8.1 I'm running but if anyone else knows something pls respond
>>
>>56453958
I'm getting it's a spacer to make a 7.5mm drive fit in a 9.5mm enclosure.
In which case, yes it matters. It needs to be on the top (not the pcb side) of the drive.
>>
>>56454191
I don't know about their 1gbps, but their 2gbps is both up and down. I've got a 2 year plan with them for 250 down.

Where are you that's getting Google Fiber? I'm in the Portland area, and apparently they ate putting the whole project on hold. Might want to check on that availability.
>>
>>56450982
>acquire glue gun
>acquire USB upgrades, e.g. USB hubs, USB mass storage devices (SSDs, HDDs, Sticks, mSD cards), WiFi adapter etc.
>glue upgrade to the macbook

The thin device now became a normally thicc device, with added features.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-05-00-31-47.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-05-00-31-47.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
Will an SSD save my PC from exploding when it "overheats".

I just clean installed my OS onto the same HDD and it works fine now but it still has overheating issues that arised a bit before everything else started to bog down and then I decided to clean install.
>>
My cat died today, is it potentially dangerous if I eat the meat from my dead cat? Also does anyone have any good recipes?
>>
>>56454342
Hard drives aren't usually a major contributor to heat in your computer... It really shouldn't be generating much unless it is seriously malfunctioning.
>>
>>56454246
my drive is 9.5mm
do i need the pad for anything else?
>>
>>56454356
Probably not.
How about you just go and check if it fits ?
>>
>>56454346
I have heard that cat meat doesn't taste good. Also any animal that dies of old age is not likely to have good meat. Though unless it has parasites it should probably not be harmful.
>>
>>56454204
y0 what up
this is my idea on how to measure videocard value
>go to videocardbenchmark.com
>see videocard performance points
>divide by price

so in your case it would be
>RX 470 | 7362 G3D Mark / $368 = 20,00
>RX 480 | 7568 G3D Mark / $460 = 16,45
>RX 470 | 9376 G3D Mark / $493 = 19,02

if you want for a specific game you might aswell compare performance on that one game you want to play. id say the RX 470 or GTX 1060 are the best choice for you!
>>
Is it safe to stick my fingers into my garbage disposal to grab stuff that is down there or whatever? Every time I do it I am somewhat afraid that some freak electrical surge or something will cause it to spontaneously turn on and turn my fingers to hamburger.
>>
>>56454191
Do you have any reason to expect you will be getting google fiber in your area? Because there expansion pretty much died on the vine.
>>
>>56454359
it does fit
i thought i was for shock and vibration dampening
>>
What's the best way to get rid of parts you're replacing? Preferably for money.
>>
>>56454491
second hand websites
>>
>>56454219
>if you have any reason to believe you won't want to stick with it for the full 3 years
I've decided it's just not worth it.

>>56454306
>>56454392
Atlanta,GA.
It's already available in some apartment areas,and my city is still under construction. Sign-ups will start the 29th in a Midtown/Piedmont(1 hour from where I live). My city was definitely listed though, unless you're telling me they're going to cancel that? It should be here hopefully in another year or so.
>>
>>56454387
use tongs or tweezers or something
>>
>>56454342
is this a screenshot of a picture
>>
>>56454560
I'm not certain about your area, might be far enough along that they will finish it.

It looks like the fiber cost more than they thought to install in some places than they thought it would be. From what I've read, they are "putting fodder on hold", and may start looking into ISP over some sort of wireless broadcast, probably regional like local TV or something.

They don't really announce the specifics of the ISP plans, unfortunately.
>>
File: It was alright I guess.jpg (25KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
It was alright I guess.jpg
25KB, 500x338px
Devolo WiFi extender jut stopped working. Not in the expected way where it just doesn't pick up a signal, but it literally doesn't even power on when plugged in.

Should I just buy a new one?
>>
>>56451366
If you don't even notice it, why bother?
>>
>>56451714
The connection to the police and advertisers is now encrypted™

of thyselve
>>
If I have a function to return an index as size_t, then what should my error value be? Or should I use int instead?
>>
>>56454371
Thanks man and fuck my country taxes
>>
Looking for an e-reader for college textbooks with these specs

>E-ink screen, no LCD shit
>Screen light
>PDF support
>Epub and Mobi support (both if possible)
>As libre as possible
>>
What is the best M2 SSD i can get if i have 10Gb/s M2?
>>
Difference between cat 5e and 6?
>>
>>56455190
google your question
>>
>>56455236
They're too long to read. I need a quick explanation.
>>
File: wristband.jpg (46KB, 508x320px) Image search: [Google]
wristband.jpg
46KB, 508x320px
what's t he most interesting thing I can do with the writable rfid chip on this bracelet I got from Army?

Do any of you use NFC in your personal lives? I've grown accustomed to the keyless entry in my car. Thinking about maybe getting NFC locks on my house.
>>
>>56455278
Practically nothing.
>>
>>56455306
>Do any of you use NFC in your personal lives?
Yes, NFC/RFID is pretty huge here in Denmark at this point.
I use it for all my payments, travel card uses it too.
>>
>>56455278
1Gbps VS 10Gbps. Doesn't matter since pretty much nothing has upward of 1Gbps right now, and 5e would probably support it anyway.
>>
Trying to test connection to an SQL database/SSMS server. Using a udl link on the same machine, have SQL authentication enabled.

Testing an SQL account aiming at 'localhost' works; trying to connect to <server name> times out. I'm pretty certain the server name is right. Still refuses to work. What in god's name do I do?
>>
I'm running Plex to stream movies to my 4k TV. My PC and TV are connected by LAN cables. Both connections are going to the same router... videos with a quality of 10mbps or less run fine with no problem, but when I want to stream a 4k video from my PC thats around 25mbps, the video just stops every 10 seconds to buffer or whatever. Not sure what I can do for better speed... I don't want to convert all my 4k movies to lower quality
>>
Why does my Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm not start when i reboot my computer? I have to spin it with my finger every time to get it started.
>>
>>56455489
you sure they aren't being transcoded?
>>
>>56455528
in plex settings, i have all streaming set to original quality

HTML5, DirectStream and Direct play are checked on
>>
Can my 2 year old Z97 motherboard handle GTX 1080 SLI ?
It's a GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK.

I assume SLI means SLI? Doesn't matter what kind of GPU?
>>
my laptop has Bluetooth, is it possible to connect either a ps4 or xbox360 controller via Bluetooth? I'm assuming I'll just need to dl the drivers for them and pair then somehow to my laptop?
>>
>>56455111
The cheaptest
>>
>>56454187

But anon :^) :^) then you're more likely to do your own upgrades and maintenance :^) and less likely to use Computer Company© Overpriced Computer Care :^) :^) and we couldn't have that could we
>>
>>56455278
Iktf

When I still was in school I always found readable wikipedia entries or websites.

Nowadays everything has to be a fucking wall of text.
>>
>>56455617
Don't be a jew and buy new!
>>
>>56455617
Yes.
Your 2 year old motherboard is a high end one.

SLI means SLI fot NVIDIA and Crossfire is for AMd.
>>
>>5645552
send it back
>>
File: 1473188725837-1128962195.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1473188725837-1128962195.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
So I got all my parts of my noob build and put them all together ,didn't have money for a screen so I'm using an old one for now.

I put everything together,afraid that I fucked something up .I might have.

Instead of having my bios appear I get this.what did I fuck up?

I have an h110m-s2h gigabyte motherboard.

For the time being I wasn't planning on installing an os,since I'm going on vacation tomorrow .but I wanted to make sure everything works well.
>>
I need a GPU that drains 40w max and it's on the same level or more powerfull than a GT730, any thoughts?
>>
>>56456153
Also sorry that my English sucks dicks
>>
Should I buy a 6850K instead of a 6800K? Is this worth it?
>>
>>56456153
Start holding del or F2
>>
Is the RX 470 8GB for $240 a good price?
>>
The salesman says the GPU I wanna buy doesn't fit the motherboard I currently have

My motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. M68MT-D3P (Socket M2)

The GPU I wanna buy: MSI GT710 1GB DDR3

It all started when I told him my previous GPU was the AMD Radeon HD 6870, he checked it online and saw that the HD 6870 has PCI Express 2.1 x16, and he said because of that, the GT710 won't work with my motherboard, because he says that the motherboard works on a different PCI

(=he understood it because the PCI of my previous GPU (HD 6870) was PCI Express 2.1 x16 so he says that the motherboard only fits cards of that type, or the motherboard doesn't fit the GT710 because of that PCI, or because of other stuff of the motherboard)

Is the Motherboard really doesn't fit the card?

Thanks a lot
>>
>>56456286
Oh....I'm a fucking idiot.
Thanks anon!>>56456290
>>
>>56456311
no problem my man
>>
>>56455738
Thank you.
I wasn't sure if SLI had "generations" or not.
>>
File: Konachan.com - 218680 sample.jpg (651KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Konachan.com - 218680 sample.jpg
651KB, 1500x1200px
do i need to reinstall my OS by replacing:

>motherboard?
>cpu?
>ram? (or at least recommended?)
>>
>>56456475
i've switched out cpus and added ram without reinstalling without problems. not sure about the motherboard though
>>
>>56456475
no

windows might complain about your license if you swap out the mobo, but that's about the extent of it
>>
File: shrug.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
Should I mess with my GTX 1080's voltage just for 12.5 MHz more on the OC?
>>
Anyone can help with this mpv issue?

>>56456367
>>
>>56456641
Nah,what would you gain ?
>>
>>56456680
2037.5 to 2050

I mostly just hate seeing it at 1987 at 59c. An even 2000 looks pretty.
>>
>>56456679
>if I go to all programs and type mpv on the search bar there are no results
perhaps the debian package didn't come with a .desktop file
>Where are the options though?, I can't find them anywhere.
in the config file
>>
What are the practical benefits of the "Edge" versions of the Galaxy S6 and S7? Any first-hand opinions?
Whenever I see them I can only see a silly gimmick.
>>
why do people use routers for their desktops as opposed to just connecting from the modem
>>
>>56456290
Yes pajeet, it will work. Doesn't matter what is the PCI version, they are all compatible. Also, why are you getting that shit card? The 6870 a lot better than this shit, I recommend you to get at lest a 730 or a R7 240.
>>
>>56456533
Nop, if the mobo is too different (different chipset and shit like that) it will not even boot.
>>
>>56456834
Usually because they want to connect more than one thing, perhaps even wirelessly.
>>
>>56456893
No I mean strictly for desktop use, like they don't even seem aware about not needing a router or something
>>
>>56456823
meme

>>56456834
Maybe because they have more than one device?
>>
>>56456884
not if you run sysprep first
>>
>>56456906
Most people use an integrated combo, and even more people have no idea how any of it works. Besides, it's nice being able to share your internet when people come over.
>>
>>56456914
That's new to me. Any drawbacks?
>>
>>56456780
Well I just put voltage to 100% in precision x oc

I went from 2037 max to 2062. And from 1987 under highest temps I get to 2012.

I was getting 1.044 voltage before, now I get max 1.094.

This is safe for my card, yeah?
>>
>>56456975
not really, it's an official tool that ships with windows, sysadmins use it all the time

just open it up, set it to "generalize" and "shutdown", then once it's done, swap your mobo and boot it backup

the idea is that it undoes what the final phase of windows setup does, so the next time windows starts, it does that phase again, only it's now specializing to the new hardware
basically, the reason you though you needed to reinstall windows was actually just because of this one thing, which you can do by itself without affecting anything else
>>
>>56456475
>>motherboard?
Technically speaking, no. But switching motherboard without reinstalling Windows can be a very inconvenient experience.
I'm not sure how Windows 10 handles it, but I know earlier versions weren't very happy with it.
It can be done without reinstalling Windows, but generally isn't recommended.
>>cpu?
Nah.
>>ram? (or at least recommended?)
Nah.
>>
>>56456906
You don't TECHNICALLY need a router for one device, but the lack of a hardware firewall is a huge problem. They're way more comprehensive than software firewalls, and should be used pretty much 100% of the time.
>>
>>56457027
Well, fuck. I did format my PC yesterday to change the mobo.
>>
>>56456975
You'll need to reactivate windows, which you probably would have needed to anyway. And the tool is really more for pre-making an install that you can put on several computers, so it doesn't always work for migrating a personal setup that's been running for years. You may have to do a few extra steps and look up some error codes before you can get it to work.
>>
>>56457073
bummer, well now you know for next time
>>
>>56457076
idk about you, but cleaning up after a sysprep is a whole hell of a lot less work than setting up and reinstalling absolutely everything again
>>
File: 1462360185980.jpg (113KB, 566x614px) Image search: [Google]
1462360185980.jpg
113KB, 566x614px
>>56457076
>You may have to do a few extra steps and look up some error codes before you can get it to work.

Oh yeah, it's Windows after all.
>>
>>56457151
Depends on the setup and how good you are at advanced googling.
>>
>>56457194
he should at least give it a shot, doing a generalize/specialize should only take a few minutes, not including the mobo swap in between

what's the worst that can happen? reinstall windows? hah. that's what he would have done anyway
>>
File: 200R_hero_up.png (214KB, 380x513px) Image search: [Google]
200R_hero_up.png
214KB, 380x513px
How do I into Case Cooling?
The case stats say:

>Fan Mount Locations
Front: (x2) 120mm
Top: (x2) 120/140mm
Rear: (x1) 120mm
Bottom: (x1) 120/140mm
Side: (x2) 120/140mm

>Fans Included
Front: (x1) 120mm
Rear: (x1) 120mm

Do I need additional ones? I am building a stock system, no crazy advanced configurations.
>>
>>56457297
get two more 120mm fans for the top. you don't really need side fans
>>
Why is alienware the best again?
>>
>>56457324
What about this talk on youtube about balanced negative and positive airflow (if you overdo one of them it is counterproductive, what comes in should come out) ?
>>
>>56457348
If you don't want to bother and have some moneys sure..
>>
>>56457348
>Why is alienware the worst again?

Because they break hella easy, it's extra impossible to fix anything in them, they're way over priced with only flashieness to benefit them, and their specs are oriented to catch newbs, not to actually be the best.
>>
>>56457297
I have this case along with an Evo 212 on my CPU. Unless you plan on having multiple GPUs, you don't need any additional fans.
>>
File: kifw27k.jpg (115KB, 825x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kifw27k.jpg
115KB, 825x1280px
If i have 2×4gb ram modules installed, can I still fill the other 2 slots with 2×8gb sticks? Same frequency and model
>>
>>56457399
>and their specs are oriented to catch newbs

How?
>>
File: 1436475856538.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1436475856538.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What is a good GNU/Linux distro for an old laptop?

I'm looking for something /aesthetic/ (pic related) and fast.
>>
How do I access the BIOS event log for a newer (click BIOS 4) MSI motherboard? I've been searching for a while now and there's no info anywhere.
>>
File: discussions_with_pol.png (171KB, 1262x509px) Image search: [Google]
discussions_with_pol.png
171KB, 1262x509px
Is there a way to stress my hard drive? I have a lot of hard drives and one is making a grinding noise. I don't know which ones it is. I could unplug one by one and check, but the problem is that'll take a while on top of the fact the grinding happens randomly and does it for a bit and then stops.

What causes the grinding sound at times? It doesn't happen all the time.

There's nothing on the drives that's being accessed or required so why is Windows accessing the drive all the time anyways?

The important thing I want to know is what the fuck Windows is accessing all the fucking time on my drive because it's annoying the shit out of me. There's LITERALLY nothing on there that needs to be accessed randomly. Is it indexing or something?
>>
>>56457423
No, just stock stuff, one GPU. I am pondering which one to get, this case of the Fractal Core2300.
They seem very similar, his one more popular but that one cheaper.
>>
File: 585.jpg (168KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
585.jpg
168KB, 1920x1080px
Does this monitor exist? Competitive CS:GO player requiring very specific specs.

>1440p
>144hz or above
>1ms
>g-sync
>tn

I don't care about bezel thickness, height adjustment, swivel, built-in speakers, LEDs, viewing angels or color reproduction. I simply need an extremely fast monitor with as close to zero lag as possible. If there is no 1440p monitor with these specs, I will absolutely consider a 1080p monitor.
>>
>>56457431
The only time you would want 4xN RAM is if the motherboard supports quad channel memory. 2x4 and 2x8 should be fine.
>>
Long story short, there is tin foil stuck in my laptop's headphone jack. How can I get it out?
>>
>>56457554
Yes there are a few different models like that
>>
Last week the police searched my house and ran checks on my PC, tablet and phone. I was interviewed in relation to an alleged crime, but I'm not being treated as a suspect (someone else I live with was arrested). Because I care about my internet privacy (even though I don't do anything illegal) and that privacy got easily compromised, I downloaded a VPN (Cyberghost) when I got home and started using that for anonymous surfing. It worked ok for a few days, but I tried to get it running earlier and have been met with the message 'CyberGhost has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...' literally every time I try to use it. All of my other programs are working absolutely fine, but that one just shuts down straight away, usually less than a minute after anonymous surfing is activated.

Is it possible that the police installed something on my computer that will stop me browsing the net anonymously, or am I just being paranoid? If the latter, how I can get the VPN to work again?
>>
>>56457571
Lye (sodium hydroxide) can melt aluminium. Good luck.
>>
File: Capture.png (41KB, 861x581px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
41KB, 861x581px
>>56457552
You probably don't need any additional fans then. Just get a good CPU cooler and you should be fine. Here are my current temps surfing and watching some videos.
>>
>>56457571
Very fine tweezers
>>
>>56457647
Uninstall it and install again. Next
>>
>>56457647
You're being watched. Gutmann your drives.
>>
File: (you).jpg (43KB, 639x497px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
43KB, 639x497px
>>56457554
>Competitive CS:GO player

https://youtu.be/n1cUzaCMIYs?t=229

Stop playing video games.
>>
how 2 dwarf fortress??
>>
>>56457701
you must 2cat
>>
I have a used i5 2400 and looking for a mobo with socket 1155 has been pretty painful, but I found a decent looking cheap mobo with it still for sale.

Is my best bet buying that mobo and then upgrade everything later on?

Can a 'cheap' motherboard in any way bottleneck my PC, I plan to putting gtx 1060 in it?
>>
>>56457670
Ok I'll try that now.

>>56457682
Memes aside, is that actually likely? The alleged crime is not a security threat or anything like that, and the police have already cleared my devices and seized all the devices that they believe might have evidence. The IP address was being monitored prior to the search of my house and arrest of the person I lived with, but I asked my solicitor and they said there's no chance that they'd be allowed to keep monitoring my IP address now (they'd only get a warrant for surveillance if it was something like terrorism or international drugs trade). I can't imagine it's legal to install anything like that on someone's computer without their knowledge, and I don't think the case is important enough to have some shady secret service shit going on.
>>
File: Naivestallman.jpg (694KB, 1543x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Naivestallman.jpg
694KB, 1543x1200px
>>56457693
>i'm a professional Linux master grown man!

Stop being autistic.
>>
>>56452596
You don't have to spend thousands of dollars for upgrades
>>
Not /g/ related but i dont know where to ask:
efset.org offers test for checking in your level of english. I cant register though. What could be possibly wrong? Does it work for any of you? Is there any other site like that?
>>
>>56457656
Anon how good is your motherboard? Im planning to buy it.
>>
Hey, anyone with a SSD know about setting it as the boot drive and having other directories on a HDD?

I was wondering if the file explorer index for the file is stored on the SSD or the HDD, since windows, which manages the index, is on the SSD.
When you search via filename in the windows explorer, does it still have to parse all the files on your HDD too, or is a more streamlined list handled by windows and stored on the SSD?
Seems like wishful thinking, but it would be pretty cool for the near-instant search results.
>>
>>56457786
Somebody you lived with was downloading child porn, the police are actively monitoring your internet connection, and now you start routing traffic through a VPN service? That looks sketchy as shit from their perspective and will only raise suspicion and prolong the monitoring. If you're truly doing nothing, your best bet is to continue using the internet normally and let them track you so they can see that nothing illegal is going on and they'll back off. The least smart thing you should be doing if you're being monitored for cp is start anonymizing your traffic because it's going to raise eyebrows. Use the internet normally, let them see that you aren't downing cp. What's the point of a VPN in your context? That is, if you're actually as innocent as you say you are. :^)
>>
File: pishi.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
pishi.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Would building this ITX computer prove to be a costly mistake?
>>
>>56457887
>>
>>56457928
*2x4gb

d'oh
>>
>>56457647
How 2 paranoid:

DBAN your HDD, or change it.
Get rid of any storage they used.
Install linux.
Flash custom firmware in your router.

>>56457928
>ASRock
Yes.
>>
>>56457932
Implying i have facebook account and there is such option.
>>
File: 1470435166820.jpg (30KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
1470435166820.jpg
30KB, 341x341px
>>56457928
>2016
>still falling for the 8GB of ram meme
>>
>>56457962
Turn off uMatrix.
>>
>>56457962
Also this...
>>
>>56457887
Works here.
User: James Bond
Email: [email protected]
Pass: 123698745

>>56457962
You need to register first:
https://www.efset.org/quick-english-check/take-test/
>>
>>56457670
Uninstalled and reinstalled and still having the exact same problem.

>>56457915
Not going to comment on what the alleged crime was. I know it 'looks sketchy as shit', which is part of the reason I'm doing it (ie I believe in internet privacy for everyone, otherwise those who use Tor/VPNs/proxies become 'guilty by default' because it's assumed they have something to hide). Besides, there's nothing illegal about using a VPN and I've been told (albeit not by the police themselves) that the police are NOT actively monitoring my internet traffic now. Besides, I'm fairly confident that I've been excluded from the investigation (I wasn't at the address at the time of the alleged incident, and they've checked that), so there's no reason for me to be treated as a suspect.
>>
>>56457979
>>56457995
Are you using any extension?
>>
>>56457928
>i3 + 950 pro
>>
>>56451486
>>56451463

Ignore the other poster, WhatsApp is end to end encrypted but who really knows how secure it is? It's owned by Facebook who wants to connect users with Facebook do you want to run this risk?

Th genuine best alternative is Signal Messenger. Allows up to 100mb file transfers. If you're not transferring images or videos, change the extension of the file for your friend to change it back.

signal is secure and open sourced. They are the ones hired by not only Facebook messenger but WhatsApp and Google to implement their encryption.
>>
>>56458016
I do not and i got this >>56457979
Im from Europe.
>>
>>56453546
Did you install it in the correct orientation?
>>
>>56457647
> Is it possible that the police installed something on my computer
Yes.
> that will stop me browsing the net anonymously
Not really. If there's a backdoor, they'll tap your communications regardless. All VPNs save only from the MitM attacks.
>>56457767
> Can a 'cheap' motherboard in any way bottleneck my PC
In "any" way? Yes, let's say you need to connect a USB 3.0 drive, but it's an H61 mobo without a 3rd party USB3 controller. There you go, it'll bottleneck your external HDD speed.
>>
How reliable is to buy from Chinese sellers in amazon?
>>
>>56458035
Did the login details I posted worked?
>>
>>56457656
I will go with the stock i7 6500 fan for now.
>>
>>56457911
Just make sure search indexing is on, it will speed up file searching as much as possible for explorer. Relocating your user directories is easy. Just find the user folders like desktop and my documents, go to their individual properties and the location tab, then move them to your HDD. Steam lets you create libraries on other disks. If you want to move any other folders you might want to look into Symbolic Links, but I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>56457968
The most Ive ever used is 4gb, do the returns of going higher really diminish that much? If thats the case, Ill just nab a stick with a lower cas.

>>56458019
Should I just get an 850 evo like everyone else? I was under the impression that the 6100 is a great processor and wont really be the bottleneck for a variety of things.
>>
File: homenet.png (51KB, 874x628px) Image search: [Google]
homenet.png
51KB, 874x628px
I'm not sure what would be the best way to do my routing setup. Picture is a crappy diagram I threw together in a minute.

a) Have the 1941 handle both the ADSL2+ (atm) connection and routing for the LAN. EdgeRouter has a bridge setup with fq_codel running on it.

b) Have the 1941 handle just ADSL2+, EdgeRouter doing PPPoE, LAN routing and fq_codel.
>>
File: V.jpg (13KB, 280x310px) Image search: [Google]
V.jpg
13KB, 280x310px
>Recently got OVPN.se
>Seems to work with decent speeds
>Browse the chins to make a post
>"Your ISP/service has been blocked from posting due to abuse"
>"4chan pass users may work around this issue"

Is there really no other way than forking over 20 USD for a 4chan captcha pass to post while behind a VPN? Tell me it ain't so /g/. I can afford it but it feels silly since I have no intent to evade bans by posting CP or whatever was the issue.
>>
>>56458046

So basically, I should be fine with this cheapo mobo
>>
File: 1473053031005.jpg (38KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
1473053031005.jpg
38KB, 300x420px
>have seedbox
>go to uni
>pretty sure p2p shit is blocked
>filezilla and qbit aren't working

How do I get around this?
>>
>>56458110
An i3 won't be the bottleneck for some things, but it will for a lot of things - it just depends on what you're doing. The benefits of the 950 for the average user are marginal at best, you're much better off getting an 850 and i5 than a 950 and i3
>>
File: 1472948378130.jpg (199KB, 900x427px) Image search: [Google]
1472948378130.jpg
199KB, 900x427px
>>56458100
...What point is there in using an SSD for booting, but then using an HDD for games?

Do you save your loading screens for bathroom breaks or something?
>>
How does dying feel?
>>
>>56458191
If you have a seedbox it shouldn't matter, why would you be running torrents locally?
>>
>>56455306
>>56455372
>NFC/RFID

I hope you got a wallet blocking that shit for the inevitable fuck "bumping" into you to scan that thing.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream
>>
>>56457903
I don't have any USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt devices, and I haven't done any overclocking. If you use an M2 drive it disables a PCIE X1 slot. I added additional RAM after I had everything set up. The CoolerMaster Evo 212 heatsink was almost too close to the 1st RAM slot, but I managed to get it in without having to disassemble everything. Other than that, the layout seems ok. Everything just werks.
>>
File: 181_011.jpg (148KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
181_011.jpg
148KB, 800x600px
How come modern power supplies don't require a 110/220 switch?

I haven't seen a computer PSU with one in the last 10 years.
>>
>>56458206
You should know that you are dying right now anon, there is no such thing as living: Everything is just a funnel to leaving behind latent biomass. So, please you tell me what dying feels like, for me it feels pretty god damn labile
>>
>>56458234
Because its automatic.
>>
>>56450754

Is this the stupid question thread?
>>
>>56458219
I'm having trouble with filezilla and downloading from the seedbox too. Any way around it?
>>
File: 1444846947901.jpg (46KB, 431x415px) Image search: [Google]
1444846947901.jpg
46KB, 431x415px
>>56458173

With openvpn, the ideal use is to target it at programs that you need to use a VPN for, Torrenting, cloud service, a NAS.

I use mine for Owncloud, ssh, and remote-transmission, for instance.

That way any pirated film or document can be moved in any direction from my server and can't be seen by my ISP.
>>
Want to code a statistics-related software with a fuckton of graphs and fancy graphics in C++.

But the normal GUI-related stuff google returns (like Qt) is quite basic and I need something advanced (like a fast way to render a mandelbrot or some other fancy graphical shit for an example).

What do I go for? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to go balls deep into some arbitrary library only to find that there's a more efficient alternative than it and to have to recode later

I guess stuff like opengl?
>>
>>56458252
VPN, use a different port
Very weird for a university to block FTP connections
>>
>>56458281
God dammit, I really don't want to use a VPN, shit, there don't exist free ones that are actually legit do there?
>>
>>56457928
I could be blind, but I don't see a slot for M2. Is it on the back of the motherboard or something?
>>
File: 1453779327072.png (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453779327072.png
15KB, 300x300px
OpenShot or Natron?

Natron looks very professional, but I really only want it to render videos.
>>
>>56458173
It is so. All known datacenter/VPN IPs are blocked by default, this can be bypassed by a 4jew pass.
It's pretty simple to understand isn't it ?
These things have been consistently used to evade bans or otherwise break rules, so now they're blocked unless you have a 4jew pass.

That said it is pretty nice to shitpost without captcha. You can have it active on all your devices as long as you don't let your VPN drop too.

>>56458224
I do, >>56455372 here.
Though I am fairly sure that those scanners would get scrambled data anyway since I have two completely different NFC enabled cards right up against each other.

Even before I got a card holder that actually blocks the stuff I couldn't use my cards without taking them out of my wallet.
>>
How terrible of an idea is it to buy Win10 for a gaymen/general use PC?
Talk me out of it /g/
>>
>>56458177
> basically, I should be fine
Yup. PCIe speeds are excessive, RAM speeds don't matter too much, the rest should be the same.
>>
>>56458335
>buy
>Windows

Very.
>>
>>56458265
I have a similar purpose but I was thinking using it all the time just..because it didn't seem to slow anything down regardless. It's not hard to just press "disconnect from VPN" every time to post but since this has nothing to do with ports or anything it just came as a surprise.

I guess I'll just manage around it manually.

>>56458324
>That said it is pretty nice to shitpost without captcha. You can have it active on all your devices as long as you don't let your VPN drop too.
I don't know about you but I'm trying to keep away from this place so spending money on it would work against that purpose. Maybe it's just other boards that are shit though.
>>
>>56458202
You have a point there. I really wont be needing that kind of throughput on my disk. For what tasks would people look to PCI-e SSD's in the first place?
>>
>>56458205
You can put your games wherever you want. If you have an SSD big enough to fit all of them, more power to ya. But aside from loading screens and possibly loading a few textures here and there slightly faster, SSDs don't really have much of an impact on gaming, so it's not a big deal to relegate them to a secondary drive. Steam's pretty agnostic about where they're stored, so you can shuffle them around depending on which ones you're playing the most, although a few poorly coded games will have trouble working unless they're installed to the same drive as the actual steam client.
>>
>>56458378
>I'm trying to keep away from this place
Then why are you here ?
>>
>>56458324
>Even before I got a card holder that actually blocks the stuff I couldn't use my cards without taking them out of my wallet.

Hmm, maybe it's just a meme to sell new wallets then. Perhaps chink scanners are more stronk to scan thicker stuff. At least it's nothing remotely common yet.
>>
File: ae235[1].jpg (31KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ae235[1].jpg
31KB, 1000x1000px
Is it OK to use a 3.1 amp port for a standard Android phone, iPad, Android tablet etc?
>>
>>56458357
Don't have a way to pirate it, just finished building a new comp and my laptop bit the dust before it was finished.
>>
>>56458396
Asking really deep questions now. I guess I'm here partially BECAUSE it's a shithole but spending time in a shithole is hollowing yet comforting.

It's like having a gun in a drawer equally for ending yourself and for defending yourself.
>>
Where can I get adapters to fit a 2.5" SSD into a 3.5" HDD bay that won't cost too much? Is there an easy workaround?
>>
>>56458403
If it has the proper specifications for regulating the amps into non 3.1 amp devices, yes.
>>
>>56458403
It won't draw more current than it can handle
>>
>>56458428
Are you that idiot from yesterday that was asking where to buy windows just cause he could figure out how to make a disk?
>>
>>56458454
Duct tape.
>>
>>56458458
That's what I thought until I got a Nexus 5x and tried charging some other shit through its charge device. The damn thing just plows full power into everything you plug in. It's actually a big problem but only for kind of specific cases.
>>
>>56458454
Literally this:
>>56458489

Double sided duct tape. You'll only regret it after attempting to remove it.
>>
>>56458400
>Hmm, maybe it's just a meme to sell new wallets then.
I don't know, really.
With my previous wallet, it wasn't the wallet stopping me from being able to use my cards without taking them out, it was the two cards being right up against each other so the readers would try to read both cards at once and get confused.
I could take one card out and use the other from inside the wallet, but with both in the wallet it was a no go, just like it doesn't work if I hold both cards up to a reader at once.

So based on this, RFID protection wasn't really something I was shopping for when I bought my current card holder. It just kinda came as an added bonus because the card holder I wanted happened to have it.
>>
>>56458379
Video editing, accessing large databases, use it in place of a RAM drive, just anything that has very high disk usage
>>
When I get html emails from various places (confirming my order and shit) it's often unreadable due to the font color.

Is there a way to fix this or is kmail broken by design?

I understand it probably has something to do with my system theme, but it's out of the question to change that.
>>
>>56458428
Go to a Lan House.
>>
>>56458234
Its done automatically now.
>>
>>56458513
>>56458489
Damn, I had a kid at Best Buy tell me to do this too (no I didn't go to BB for comp advice) and I thought he was a chucklefuck. Guess it's worth trying.
>>
>>56458087
I managed to get it working, thanks for help anyway
>>
>>56458403
Whatever you are charging with it will draw what it needs and the limit will be set by firmware/charger.
>>
>>56454717
press every button for a minute, most devices reset by having one of their buttons pressed for a long time.
>>
>>56455306
>Do any of you use NFC in your personal lives?
I would if more things supported it. I only used it once for a file transfer.
>>56458173
This is one big thing that 8ch does right. You can post while using a VPN
>>
>>56458305
"Free VPN" is a very bad idea. But you can roll your own if you have a connection back home or at a friend's you can use to host it. You could also use a vps as your seedbox and set up an openvpn connection from it. Openvpn gets past most blocks. Although you might just need to ask your seedbox provider if you can use a different port.
>>
>>56458227
I hope my fat HyperX RAM fits then, thanks.
>>
OK, so I’ve got a Pokémon SQLite database, data structured as so:

Table: Pokemon
id | name
------------------
1 | Bulbasaur
2 | Ivysaur
3 | Venusaur
4 | Charmander

Table: PokemonType
id | PkmnID | TypeID | Slot
----------------------------
1 | 1 | 5 | 1
2 | 1 | 8 | 2
3 | 2 | 5 | 1
4 | 2 | 8 | 2
5 | 3 | 5 | 1
6 | 3 | 8 | 2
7 | 4 | 2 | 1

and finally, Type
id   | name
------------------
1 | Normal
2 | Fire
5 | Grass
8 | Poison

How do I join these tables to get this:
PkmnID    | name        | Type1 | Type2
----------------------------------------
1 | Bulbasaur | Grass | Poison
2 | Ivysaur | Grass | Poison
3 | Venusaur | Grass | Poison
4 | Charmander | Fire | -
>>
>>56458144

Just change the WAN interface to ptm and you'll be sorted.

>>56458173

Try googling 4chan pass and go to page 11, there's a forum thread on a .jp site. Continue from there and thank me later.

>>56458191

Open port 22. If that doesn't work, 45, 122 and 8999.

>>56458234

Don't listen to the trolls. The manufacturers sell localized versions of PSUs. Due to the lower voltage in America and countries that use 100-120V they have to use thicker wires to transfer the same amperage as 230V systems. Initially the change was made when Seasonic noticed a trend that their failure rate was higher in America compared to Europe. This sparked a movement in which most manufacturers like Seasonic, Corsair and Cooler Master made two different models for different market areas. They didn't need to change the EU models because they were fine, the problems affected only US models.

>>56458277

Rust, C#.

>>56458403

No because the device will unwillingly draw too much power. That's why wall chargers are rated at 2.1A at most. You can genuinely fry your battery if you charge with with too many amps. Devices have their own controllers but their main function is to prevent charging from constantly fluctuating sources like some ebay chinese charger.

I think only the Xperia Z5 and LG G3 come with robust enough connectors that won't wear over time if you charge them with too many amps.
>>
New Thread

>>56458915
>>56458915
>>56458915
>>56458915
>>
>>56458526
ty anon, in addition to enlightening me, you just saved me about a hundred dollars.
>>
>>56458925
port 22

I'm a bit inexperienced with FZ, should I be using SFTP or FTP and are those other numbers different ports?
pic related
>>
>>56458997
Sftp. It's like the difference between http and https. I think by opening ports he means configuring them on your router.
>>
>>56459041
I'm at Uni without a router? Well they do have CISCO ethernet ports
>>
>>56459065
>I'm at Uni without a router

Well then you're boned as far as unblocking ports. Best you can do is try to get your seedbox to change ports on there end, but there's a good chance they wont
>>
>>56452097
ask them like a normal person?
>>
>>56457647
Gift the PC to your enemies
>>
>>56459065
Try SSH tunneling all of your traffic to a VPS or a dedicated tunneling service.
>>
>>56459757
how does one do this, does it involve Filezilla?
>>
What are the recomended rail voltajes of 12v 3.3v and 5v. Because my psu hace 3.4 on the 3.3v rail. :/
>>
Is there any downside to torrenting windows 10? I just built a desktop and installed the base windows 10 on it
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.