[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cct/ - Career and Cert Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 23

File: 1472758268821.png (69KB, 2111x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1472758268821.png
69KB, 2111x1166px
Ask your questions and get advice on IT jobs, certs.

Working on a pastebin for FAQ and general advice.

If you have an IT career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
Anyone studying for their CCNA?

what resources are you using?
>>
File: wallhaven-180761.jpg (378KB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-180761.jpg
378KB, 1680x1120px
I'm planning on working in the security industry. Should I get the A+, Network+, and Security+ to "work my way up" to certs like CISSP? I've heard some say that CompTIA certs are completely worthless, but others have said they're good stepping stones.
>>
File: 1460882151480.jpg (53KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
1460882151480.jpg
53KB, 1024x578px
Fuck off with your 3LA data mining shit.
>>
>>56438940
Having Sec+ and CCNA Sec, those two are a bit intrinsic especially if you work for the DoD. CISSP is next for me, but the information remains parallel, with some varying terminology. Always good to get those, baselines are important. Also, CISSP requires 4 years professional experience plus a qualified certification to take the test.
>>
>>56438789
I passed it entirely on my own, studying at home

I used Lammles and Odoms books, plus Packet tracer. Occasionally watching CBT nuggets and INE, but it's not essential

You HAVE to practice everything in packet tracer, no mater how retarded it looks like. Setting the lab was the biggest pain, i'd recommend saving the lab in packet tracer BEFORE you started typing shit in console so you can repeat it later
>>
3rd year CS and Econ student, doing lots of R programming.
>>
>>56438993
How long did you study for it? Were you already working a job doing it on a daily basis?
>>
>>56438789
I decided to take a 2 semester community college course. I could have self studied but I figured this would be a good chance to actually meet other people who are interested or already working in networking and make professional contacts early. If you have no interest in doing that I would recommend self study because it is much cheaper and you can go much faster.

Also I agree with >>56438993 Odom and Lammles books are great although I believe the new versions aren't out until October because the old CCNA test expired in August.
>>
>>56439068
I can't really say that with precise info because i was doing completely different job while i was studying, which had nothing to do with Networking and that job really was taking my whole day. I had 0 knowledge about Cisco or networking when i started learning about it and it took me like 3 months with VERY irregular learning for each cert (ICND 1 and 2). If you only sit at home and learn about it i am confident you can learn it in a month for each cert, if you're not retarded. People like to think that's CCNA is hard shit but in reality it's nothing special.

But note, it really requires serious studying
>>
File: Docked_at_Sunset.gif (158KB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
Docked_at_Sunset.gif
158KB, 800x336px
Will Comptia A+ w/ out Uni get me a comfy help desk job?
>>
>>56439127
You don't need uni for helpdesk jobs
>>
>>56439125
>I believe the new versions aren't out until October

I already have Odom's new 100-105 and 200-105 on my pc, true PDF
>>
Hey guys neet here, how likely am I to get a job if I get my CCNA cert? Any job. Im not american and my goal is finding something that pays enough for me to move out. Currently no degree, no experience ever in anything and no skills, thats why im looking into this.
>>
>>56439187
Dude, there are no rules, every country is different. Hell, every city is different.
>>
What Linux cert is the most respected one, besides Red Hat? I see there's a lot of them, Lpic, Linux+, LFCS etc...
>>
>>56439597
pls respond aka bump
>>
>>56438940
>>56438990

"Security" is huge, as in tons of different jobs with wildly different requirements. Ideally you get good a X field then become "X security". Realistically trusted manager + minor tech knowledge = security in plenty of places.

Get sec+ to meet DoD requirements so you can work for the government, its the minimum requirement to have admin on anything.

You can be a "cissp associate" with zero experience, which means you've taken the test but don't have 5 years yet. This reads as "I'm a fraud" on resume for some people but others will hire you into a 70-80k position because they couldn't find someone else with a CISSP and their policy dictates the position needs a CISSP.

A good way to get your cissp paid for is to wiggle your way into those positions. The company will even find someone to endorse you- having a cissp endorse you is an actual requirement to become a cissp. Bonus, you don't appear to be a fraud despite getting your cissp 1 year out of college because your job made you get it.

>>56438990
CISSP is nothing like cisco land and real world knowledge may hurt you as it won't be a CISSP correct answer. The common advice is "answer tech questions as a manager, answer manager questions as a tech". The hotness of CISSP on the job market may die over time but right now it is the entry level cert and its job is to land you in front of the actual manager instead of thrown out by HR. People shit on it constantly but it will get you a job.
>>
>>56439597
Just get redhat. The purpose of certs is to land you a job.
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/linux-certifications,2-654.html

look at the "jobs posted" for each cert. Notice that jobs are asking for RHCSA/RHCE/RHCA more than any of the others and move on.
>>
>>56440185
how hard is rhcsa?
>>
>>56439127
>comfy help desk job
>comfy
>help desk

Kekalek
>>
File: image_6.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
image_6.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>56440351
If you say so.
>read troubleshooting script
>use ticketing system
>active directory bullshit
Sounds comfy to me.

I imagine the only bad thing about it would be pressure and the tech illeterate mongoloid retards who can't use Microsoft Office.
>>
>>56440397

See, it SOUNDS comfy when you put it like that, and that's exactly what I thought the job would be when I first started help desk, but you're forgetting the business element. Most help desk jobs will have quotas that you absolutely HAVE to fill, and you get absolutely zero downtime. Furthermore, you're not in your own little cubicle so much as in a spot on a long line of computers, sitting next to people who hate their job but do it because it's all they can do. And god help you if your own computer gets FUBAR'd, because you aren't allowed to troubleshoot your own machine (zero permissions, senpai) and you have to let the in-house IT team take a look at it.
>>
>>56440185
>>56440246
we need people with redhat experience in here
>>
>>56440622
Are all helpdesk jobs like this?

Surely there are some more comfy ones..especially if you're working at night as helpdesk or in a NOC?
>>
>>56438500
Starting my second year of my degree soon, I'm doing BSc (Hons) Computing & IT specializing in networking so I am doing CCNA, Web Technologies and Object Orientated Java. I want to become a Network Engineer or Network Architect and I'm wondering is there anything else worth studying on the side? Other than Python, CompTIA, Linux and Microsoft cert
>>
>>56438500
Professor is pushing certs in a Java course. Has us training for the OCA cert. Is it worth it? Why or why not?
>>
>>56438500

Have IS degree, N+ cert, but no experience. What do, what apply for?
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (94KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
94KB, 399x388px
>>56438500
thought I made it when I got internship at start of year and still have year left of CS degree. Now I have one class left and got fired from one internship and let go after 6 weeks from another.

>mfw every full time job oppurtunity if fucking put on indeed where only the best people see it

fuck this gay earth
>>
>>56443086
Help desk, NOC technician jobs.
>>
>>56443108

Why you get fired and let go?
>>
>>56438789
I'm using the official Cisco book. Thinking of buying some routers and switches to make a lab kit. Anyone with CCNA know of good models to grab for this purpose?
>>
>>56438500
>>Job Title
Systems Analyst
>>Years of Experience
5 years in IT
>>Degrees/Certs
BS information systems
>>How did you find/get job
Applied to an online posting
>>Pay
>>Location
Silicon Valley
>>
>>56438940
Comptia certs are good if you have 0-1 years experience.
>>
>>56439127
1) you only need HS diploma for help desk
2) help desk is not comfy

Systems analyst here, I started at the help desk, just like everyone else.
>>
>>56439187
An mid/advanced cert with no experience is a major fucking red flag, you will be just as unemployable as before.

Get an A+ and start at the help desk.

>>56439597
certs are not that respected in Linux. If you have to get one, get the red hat one and make your company pay for it, otherwise don't bother.
>>
>>56443359
fired because they said they need to tell me things twice. but it was a fucked up environment where the person who hired me step down like 2 weeks after I was hired. Then the person who was directly over me was there just learning so she didnt know shit.

the last job I was let go because they didnt have enough work for me. they said they would recommend me and I did good work. They treated me as a temp worker instead of an intern.
>>
>>56443632

What do you do as a systems analyst?

I once applied and got an email back asking to send another resume. I sent it back and never heard back after that.
>>
>>56443853
also first job was as an operation intern and the second job was doing help desk as an it intern.

The good news though for me is there is a school intern fair wednesday, I already have a couple of people calling me up when I applied on the school job site. Also next month is a job fair for STEM majors. I guess its kinda good that they see I was good enough to be hired at two places.

also I live in south florida and trying to get out of florida to out west, not necessarily silicon valley. How big are people about face to face interviews and is hard to get them to help pay for me to fly to the city or interviewing on skype? If its major then I am just going to stay here until my next job after entry level. I only have like ~$1,250 to my name
>>
>>56443881
It's like being a sysadmin except I focus on evaluating current systems and make recommendations vs maintaining them.
>>
So what certs do I need for entry level, intermediate, and then top level IT? just trying to understand a logical pathway. Is a CS degree necessary for anything above a certain salary threshold?
>>
>>56442723
I work help desk at large international company. Support the head office in UK with 2000+ staff and some small offices in mainland Europe. I'm the most senior of my team at 11 months in the job, there are currently 2 others on the help desk. One has been here 6 weeks and the other 2 weeks. Our team currently has 4 empty seats. I have 200 open tickets and a stupid project that the CIO is trying to force us to deliver despite it being nowhere near ready. Said CIO also thought it would be a good idea to use the other execs as the pilot group. But I don't have any time to work on any of that because of the phone ringing every 2 minutes for password resets, people who walk up to the desk and expect me to fix their coffee drenched laptop there and then, shit heads who can't submit a ticket properly, and retards who don't know how to use a computer despite needing it for 95% of their job. I also get dragged into pointless meetings that waste even more of my time by listening to a manager waffle on about irrelevant crap. This job is not comfy and it has chewed out several other guys in my time here. One guy just started crying sat next to me, got up and walked out never to be seen again. Another guy lost his shit and was sacked.
>>
>>56444083
depends on your specific field of study.

For networking, just follow cisco certs down the line, though most people stop at CCNP
>>
>>56444199
While help desk isn't comfy, your situation is beyond the norm by a bit.

typically you need 1 help/desk desktop support tech for every 200 users, so your company would need 10.

Usually it would split that to 2 people working the actual help desk, doing first touch/tier 1 support and the other 8 doing desktop support tier 2 and tier 3 (most likely 4 and 4).

Also the help desk manager and the CIO needs to set expectations of the users to force them to use the ticketing system, usually this is why the help desk/desktop support team is sequestered in their own little dungeon.
>>
>>56438789
Im barely starting semester 2/Cisco 2 at college.

Studying on my own feels boring though. I also have access to my professors wisdom.
>>
>>56443989
So you make the big decisions when you are given the opportunity?

Do you test any of the new technologies that are forced unto you?
>>
>>56444722
I am the guy that advises the manager on which new technologies to adopt.
>>
What about getting a job at Geek Squad for a first job??
>>
>>56444889
No one will hire you after that.
>>
>>56444906
Whats a good bullshit first job just to get your foot in the door.
>>
>>56444929
contractor
>>
>>56445024
What are the best sites to use for those types of jobs?
>>
>>56445120
I don't know the site policy on sharing the names of companies.

There are several firms that specialize in having IT professionals on staff to contract out, I worked for 2 different ones in the bay area. My entry into the field was being one of 10 desktop support techs on a huge project that VMware was doing.
>>
>>56445213
kek,this is 4chan there is no policy on such a thing. You can advise on companies.
>>
>>56445260
Milestone & Robert Half are good starting places.
>>
Would you guys suggest getting the A+ first or getting a help desk job first? I'd like to eventually go for my CCNA but would rather get some experience before I start looking to get it.
>>
File: kek..jpg (35KB, 578x472px) Image search: [Google]
kek..jpg
35KB, 578x472px
>>56439127

>help desk
>comfy

I used to be just like you kek, KEKKEKEKEK HAHAHA
>>
>>56445344
what should i do senpai?
>>
>>56445295

I got interviewed by two stacies at robert half via skype, never spoke to them again after that interview. I might try to call them back because I got more experience and recruiters are whores. I know someone who works part time for robert half imaging computers at some company, super comfy,
>>
>>56445360

accept your fate and go for help desk, shit pay and lots of stress hatred for people, but you might end up at a place that doesn't give a fuck about your internet usage and you at least get to sit in a air conditioned office

also open offices are everywhere and they're cancer.
>>
>>56442723

Most companies outsource their nighttime helpdesk to India, while NOC helpdesk jobs are typically filed under the purview of "technical analysts", which most companies won't hire for without at least some experience in a regular helldesk environment.

Entry level sucks for IT, across the goddamn board, and there is no way around it without seriously good connections or insane amounts of luck.
>>
>>56445340
Everyone starts at the help desk, so yes.
>>
>>56445428

companies like HP have some help desk in america to make people think they still care about employing americans. They basically told us this in the orientation at HP, just in nicer corporate language. God fuck that place so much, I got experience, but it fucking sucked so much you have no idea.
>>
>>56445473

>HP

HA! I feel your fucking pain, I was a contractor for them when I was a server admin and they basically told me "We're paying you a dollar more than minimum wage for this job, if you don't like it you can find somewhere else to work".

So if it makes you feel better, HP fucking sucks dick for any job they hire for.
>>
>>56445548

I worked in a service desk, my contractor paid me like $14/hr. I knew some people got even less, I didn't believe it though, mine was some indian one though, shady as fuck. I'm so glad I got the fuck out of there, yeah it was another help desk job, but it paid like $10k more a year and was full time with benefits and like fifteen minutes closer. That nine months at HP was brutal though, their shitty way of doing things still fucks with me at my current job.
>>
>>56445368
My coordinator for the consulting firm I worked for, I didn't even meet her for the first 3 years I worked for the company, she was really good to me though.

I mean although they were the ones who paid me, I always reported to someone that worked for the company I contracted with.
>>
>>56438500
Is computer science a good career? Why do I hear so many people on this board hate this career?
>>
>>56445428

It sounds like you are talking about customer support, which is different from supporting employees of the company.

>>56445473

Low importance jobs are pretty much outsourced across the board to India.
>>
>>56445548
>>56445585

Where exactly were you working? In silicon valley I was getting paid $25/hr for contract desktop support work.
>>
>>56445644

yeah I got to hear their cringe worthy orientation about how important outsourcing is, the fucking gall lecturing us in america about why sending jobs away to other places is good for us/them, fuckers

>>56445657

midwest
>>
So do you get training for these jobs? I have a baseline knowledge of PCs, but I am worried I'm going to fuck up and not know enough.. even these entry level contract jobs ask for knowledge in things like Active Directory which I don't have any direct experience with
>>
>>56438500
>>Job Title
Information Security analyst
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
Business undergrad, CISSP, misc GIAC certs, Net+
university career center, internship
>>Pay
~85k
>>Location
TX, US
>>
>>56445548

I remember getting the contract job for hp doing service desk and then going to my orientation, I get there I'm not on the list. turns out I was to start the next week, quick change, oops! Best part is my contractor refused to pay me for the time I was there, indians are the fucking worst.
>>
>>56445693

I'm starting at a new desktop support job, at least a step or two up from help desk in my opinion. They told me I would get two weeks for training.
>>
>>56445693
Not even kidding, I had to google about 40% of the problems because you deal with a fuck load of different issues working desktop support.

As I move up, (desktop support > systems administration > systems analysis) googling issues works less and less. But that is ok because I am becoming more and more specialized and given longer and longer to solve problems.
>>
>>56445735
So you sat on the phone with someone while you googled their issues or was this a on-site job?
>>
What's 1 good source to study for A+ (dont have time but know most of the stuff)
>>
>>56445794
Professor Messer's videos on JewTube
>>
>>56445786
I worked out of an office of about 70 people and supported another 300 (about 150 in different offices and 150 that worked from home) remote employees

It was a hybrid desktop support/systems administration job, so I didn't really focus on the desktop support stuff.

Once I googled an issue the CFO was having while he was standing right over my shoulder.
>>
>>56445786

Anyone can tell me how much of a red flag my job history is

First help desk job out of college after months and months of searching was about nine months. Next job help desk job I've been at a little over a year now.
>>
>>56445850

Most people don't know how to google. You have no idea what a gift it is. It seems easy to you and me, but to CFOs, non IT people it's fucking alien
>>
>>56445835
I'd like to point out that Eli the computer guy is a pretty bad source, the dumb fuck complains a lot about office politics.

The problem is you can tell from his videos that he's a total prick, which would explain why everyone treats him like shit. His experience is atypical.
>>
>>56445859
as long as you stay at your current job for another year or so, that's not a huge red flag.

You have 5 years to get out of desktop support before you get trapped there forever.
>>
>>56445883
Yeah the users are always pretty embarrassed, but I just tell them that the reason I can google it and get the right answer is because I have a decent understanding of how the technology is supposed to work underneath.

Sometimes I'll point them to a thread or a technet article and say: Look every single one of these people is an IT person asking about this same issue for a user.
>>
>>56445644
>It sounds like you are talking about customer support, which is different from supporting employees of the company.

Oh no, amigo, I'm talking about in-house support. Most of the big-name companies in my area have outsourced to India, while the smaller ones rely solely on manufacturer warranty help desk (i.e. giant ass call centers). Only the mid-range businesses are still hire anyone for on-site company paid IT.

>>56445657

Midwest, so it's entirely plausible this is a localized phenomenon and that on the coasts IT is much better. But I honestly doubt it, given many of the stories I've heard both on this very board and from friends/work acquaintances.
>>
>>56445910

good, so I still have time! Honestly though I interviewed for a new job in desktop support (currently in help desk) and will jump ship to that. So if I go there I gotta remain there for at least two years I'm guessing then try to move up ASAP. I really don't want to be stuck in desktop support/help desk for my whole career. This fucking terrifies me, also I have no certs maybe I should fix that.
>>
>>56445981
here in silicon valley there is still on-site support, first hand I know of vmware, nvidia, hp, netapp, google, facebook that have local desktop support folks.
>>
> no cert
> no degree
> dropped out of high school
> smart
> skilled
> functionally retarded regarding human interaction
> German

What's the fastest way to get a high paying job, starting from that?
>>
>>56446092
Step one is top being a major loser.
>>
>>56446187

Step two is checking for typos.
>>
>>56446387
who fucking cares about typing? my ISE catches errors.
>>
>>56445390
yeah open concept is terrible unless people are spaced out far from eachother. I've seen some startup mills have their offices looking like a kindergarten arts and crafts room with 30 people to a long desk, i felt so sad for them
>>
>>56446734

lol someone is mad
>>
I work at a help desk for one of the biggest Pharmaceutical companies and it's pretty comfy since I've been here. However they decided to outsource the help desk to Costa Rica since they are cheaper.

At least they gave us an two month notice.
>>
File: 206Hound.jpg (125KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
206Hound.jpg
125KB, 450x253px
>>56447029
>Everything is either being automated or outsourced.
DO these fucking companies even realize what will happen once NO ONE has a job?
>>
>>56446092
Get a job at GGG
>>
Once I get a C++ Skill cert, what should my next move be?
>>
Can you get desktop support positions without experience or do you have to do on the phone helpdesk first?
>>
>>56447029
That's what I fear when thinking about applying to big companies like that. I'm at a medium sized one right now which is a cakewalk but don't have much room to move up. Only thing that really keeps me here is not having a lingering fear of being outsourced or replaced. That and I can disappear from my desk practically all day and not even be questioned about it, boss doesn't care as long as my shit gets done.
>>
>>56444692
>I also have access to my professors wisdom.

You also have /g/
>>
>>56446092
Learn to work.

Beeing intelligent is pointless for 99% of jobs, maybe 95% in IT, what you need to be able to do is learn shit like norms and protocols, recall what previously dropped on your non-suspecting head and how you resolved it.

Seriously speaking, I was nearly in the same position as you, dropped out of uni because I didn't give a fuck, smart and very good at pluri-disciplinary work and multitasking.
>mfw everyone needs to be specialized

So pick a subject, pick a cert, if you are NEET make a plan with work hours everyday and a deadline. If you manage to do it the cert itself is a nice bonus but the real deal is that you learned to work.
For instance try to begin by 2 hours a day of study, then 1 hour of research around your study. Try to concentrate those in your day with small breaks in between.
Then incorporate sport, 4 times a week go to the gym and on the rest days do a bit of cardio or go hiking. This is fucking important, trust me, you will feel better and your brain will work better.
Square up your nutrition, establish goals and maintain them.
Sleep at least 8 hours, your hippocampus basicaly defragments your brain during your sleep and helps you study better during the day. Same for your muscles, they grow at night, not when you work out.

When your nutrition, sport and study is rolling with no issues just iteratively add working hours according to a pre-established plan untill you work 6 hours a day; 6 hours is a good rule of thumb to simulate 8-10 hours office work.
When you can do your 6 hours of study, your sport, your nutrition, your sleep and you still have plenty of free time, you learned how to work properly and not destroy your existence going to the office tired every morning for the next 40 years.

And if you followed what I said you now look good, feel good and are confident. It means you'll get a GF and a job like nothing.

Good luck, I did it and the only thing I regret is not doing it earlier.
>>
Does anyone have the VMware certs?
>>
>>56447548
>Can you get desktop support positions without experience or do you have to do on the phone helpdesk first?

Depends on what you mean by "desktop support". There's lots of variations on desktop support jobs. For instance, you can get a job as an independent service tech (i.e. the warranty dude who replaces people's mobos) without much prior knowledge, while getting an in as a systems tech for a mid-range company will take a fair amount of experience, and the best place to get said experience is phone helpdesk.
>>
>>56438789

Odom and Packet Tracer is more than sufficient.

>>56443575

Packet Tracer is enough for CCNA R&S, if you want real IOS get GNS3 and some IOS router + IOU images.
>>
Apparently security will be the next big thing in terms of jobs. The IoT will connect anything you can think of which will increase the need for security. Any anons who work in the field that could elaborate on how it is as a job and what they do?
>>
>>56451434
Phone support is literally aids it's even worse then cleaning rooms because with cleaning rooms you can fuck around and get paid more lmao
>>
>>56454721

Oh, I know. Believe me, I did everything in my power to avoid phone support because of how much it fucking sucks.
>>
>>56454745
So did you get a position that didn't involve phone support?

HOW?
>>
>>56454721
>cleaning rooms
I thought you had to be a petite asian or hispanic woman to get hired doing that.
>>
>>56454817

Leeching off my girlfriend for weeks at a time and taking Craigslist non-phone tech jobs while applying for everything that was a little better than what I had.

It was basically the real life version of playing the RNG. If you have convictions then you can avoid just about anything you dislike, but in doing so you will encounter a lot of pain and you'll come to a point where you wonder if your principles were even worth fighting for at all.
>>
>>56455083
>RNG

fucking kek.

What kind of job/title did you eventually settle on? Any tips on what keywords I should look for? I really don't want to fuck with phone support if I can avoid it.
>>
>>56438500
Wanna get a job at FBI dealing with digital forensics wat do? Dabbled into many subjects but no actual certs.
>>
>>56450061
Great fucking post, man.

I've been trying to follow a similar path after years of NEETitude. I've learned that deadlines are everything. They light a fire under one's ass.
>>
>>56455128

If you really need something entry level but want to avoid phone support as much as possible, try to find a job as an independent service technician. Companies like Smartech & Associates (the place I worked for) pay by the job for you to go out and do in-home warranty repairs, and since they are subcontracted by another contractor who is themselves contracted for Dell, you won't run out of jobs to do.

You can also try for more purely independent companies like Geeks on Site, but from personal experience I've found they expect you to find jobs on your own, so if you don't like having to self-advertise I'd shy away from places like that.

Temp agencies are also key when it comes to the job hunt. Most places are willing to work with you if you say "absolutely no fucking phones" (though you do have to be firm, a lot of agencies will say "So I know you said no phones, but what about THIS call center?"), and you can build up a decent amount of experience this way (although you have to do some serious spin-doctoring on your resume to make this look good).

As for me, I did the independent tech/temp jobs route for about four years before I applied for a tape operator job (another key point: look for jobs that use tech that you didn't think still existed), then networked within the company to become a Windows server admin. Stayed there for another two years before becoming a systems administrator at my current job, where I have been for just under a year now.
>>
>>56454929
Heh no lots of people do it and pays pretty good because demand to have clean work space/industrial/rooms/hotel rooms
Also very relaxed and no stress but it doesn't get you higher in the IT but for quick and easy money sure.
>>
>>56455377
10/10

We need more anons like you.
>>
>>56455198
Plenty of digital forensics certifications out there. Start with a computer forensics and investigations textbook (check reviews to make sure its good), and read it to start. Should be applicable to most certs, and will give you a good base.
>>
>>56455377
>Most places are willing to work with you if you say "absolutely no fucking phones"
what kind of jobs are they going to get you then?
>>
>>56455377
Are there any other companies like smartech? I can't seem to find others
>>
>>56439127
>help desk
>comfy
Sometimes I just want to off myself.

P.S. I work at help desk.
>>
File: help desk.jpg (227KB, 922x710px) Image search: [Google]
help desk.jpg
227KB, 922x710px
>>56458689

I'm still laffin here

I also work help desk, but I think I secured myself a desktop support job
>>
Certs are for actual retards not smart enough to work in real computer fields
>>
>>56438500
>Job Title
Official - Help Desk Analyst
Unofficial - Desktop Engineer\Architect
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
none
contract to hire from previous job
>Pay
$50k
>Location
PA

I should get some certs. I definitely don't want to go the cisco route. Windows admin seems more up my alley.
>>
P-Post resumes?
>>
>>56459022

how do I avoid ending up like you? Two to three years experience here, I make $41k as a Help Desk Analyst.
>>
>>56459481
You have 3 years, move on, move up
>>
>>56438789
GNS3. Also Cisco learning network premium is $11 a month and has videos and labs.
>>
>>56439597
Linux+ is lpic through Comptia. You can triple dip with linux+ and get suse certified with it too. But RedHat is the only valuable brand of Linux cert.
>>
i can probably easily get my a+and later this year, my mcsa. what kind of jobs are available with just those certs?
>>
what are some resources to learn linux better?

started a class last week and everything is going in one ear and out the other

((going for network security major))
>>
Anyone got a job at a good tech company? Any advice?
>>
>>56461203
I guess I should be saying where do I start with Linux to do this class better? Im getting all the work done but the teacher lacks examples and descriptions of what the fuck these commands do
>>
>>56461300
Install on your personal machine and experiment. Takes time to learn.
>>
>>56461423
I have it running on vmware right now
I just dont know what im supposed to do with it I just go online and dick around like on windows
maybe I shouldnt have taken online
>>
>>56460736
with no experience? helpdesk
>>
>>56461516
long as it pays better than $12/hr
>>
>>56461555

try hospital help desk jobs, they tend to pay better, they're busy as fuck though
>>
who /rhcsa/ here
>>
>>56461555
Please consider an MSP, you'll get that and more. They'll generally pay for certs and it's excellent experience with the multitude of (broken) environments you'll encounter
>>
>>56461820

wtf is a help desk job?

what do you even do
>>
>>56462286

sit at a desk all day wishing I had a job where I didn't have to sit at a desk all day. Basically put on my headset and connect to the phone ques, like multiple ques for different types of issues, then calls are automatically routed to me. I usually take about 40-50 a day.

Mostly I resolve or assign out issues having to do with password resets, network issues, vpn issues, application issues having to do with billing for patients, updating medication orders shit like that. Other stuff is usually checking on tickets already assigned, fixing application issues, troubleshooting outlook stuff and windows issues

This is all day again these calls come to me automatically all fucking day, 40-50 calls a day, actually today two people were out, so I took like 63 calls.

Foir all my hard work I got an extra 70 cents an hour though!
>>
File: Screenshot_348.png (69KB, 793x729px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_348.png
69KB, 793x729px
Basically in my country I got to do the I.T Associate Degree and Bachelor for free.

I started the course but they are so many jobs in I.T which will be the easiest but still nets me a good amount of money after i get my bach?

Also how do I pass with A's in all my course any tips from pass uni people?
>>
>>56462087

Was thinking about going down that path, about how long does it take to study for it? I got the Jang book from a co-worker.
>>
>>56460417
Did you ever take a course in NetaCad? How would you say it compares? People have their own preference when it comes to videos, what makes CLN your choice over say Trainsignal(pluralsight), cbt, ine, bryant, etc, etc?
>>
>>56461203
If you go to college, check into Safari Tech books and see if your library has a subscription to it. It has a plethora, albeit not all recent, of books to study from. You can pick up some older linux books sometimes for dirt cheap from craigslist or a library clearing out stock. There is free courseware and study materials for people studying for LPIC as well.

>>56461300
Try and find a book with labs, or recipies to do something. Task yourself to it and see what you can do. Also, installing it like its the only operating system you can use is also motivation.

>>56438789
the new OCG and academic edition with PCG for books so far. I have some of my own equipment, packet tracer, GNS3 and images (though i dont like it too much). I would like to run VIRL but i dont have the equipment.
>>
>>56459022
please don't assign words like Engineer or Architect to a title if you haven't even looked at a FE exam.
Take the hint, microsoft made it
>expert
not engineer
>>
Working on my OSCP right now, it's very great.
>>
>>56459022
>10 years in desktop support

Enjoy being stuck in hell forever
>>
>>56459481

This anon is right, start applying to anything you can get, once you get to the five year mark you are in desktop support forever.
>>56459573
>>
>>56462388
It's spelled queues
>>
Currently going for a degree in network security. Instructor has been telling us he's trying to push for a CEH program to be added to the degree path, pretty psyched I can't lie, I've been out of high school for more than 3 years and going back to school now for something I'm actually interested in is great.
>>
>>56464228
While he was using engineer and architect wrong, FE aren't the only engineers that exist.

Network architects and infrastructure architects are a real thing and make insane amounts of money.
>>
I'm almost finished with my bachelor's and decided to focus on networking close to six months ago. My networking professor tells us that after the semester we'd be in great contention of passing Net+, but we will for sure get some obscure NetworkPro+ certificate through our lab work.

I've had my eyes on the CCNA since this summer and have read that ICND1 is somewhat similar to Net+. Should I skip Net+ altogether, save money, and focus more on a CCENT seeing as I'll be going for a CCNA regardless?
>>
>>56464449
Yeah, unless they are paying for your voucher, or at the very least absorbing some of the cost out of pocket or coupon, then no. Don't get more involved int CompTIA then you have to. Some of their flagship certs mean things to some people, but Net+ isn't really one of them. For the price point of voucher cost there is no need for it.

Though you may be better off currently between passing Net+ as opposed to CCENT, you will have to study more. Some things in the newer cirriculum in CCENT is being moved up, such as the routing protocol OSPF, and enforcing RIP as the learning tool.

tl;dr
>no on Net+
>save money for CCENT
Try to join a Cisco Networking Academy, at the end of the course the final exam when passed 75% or better will get you a 50% voucher. If you are all self study, don't try and save a buck on limited time vouchers. You may need to move your study window, and the small money saved isn't worth having to take it within a forced time if you are not prepared.
>>
>no degree
>no certs

which certs will take me to the linux sysadmin holy grail?
>>
>>56464553
I'd go as far to say don't bother with CCENT, just do a CCNA routing and switching, then do the security one and you won't go to a helpdesk.
>>
Im learning programing and network stuff at home i never saw an academy original University from inside.and its pretty funny
>>
>>56464684
RHCSA + perl or python at a minimum
>>
>>56442370
I had trouble with it but the test is a practical test where you get a VM and have to fuck with it from the get go. It's also an expensive cert to get.

Currently I work as a 'NOC Engineer'
>make 90k
>0 certs
>undergraduate degree in philosophy

When I was at uni I was a network cabling technician, did helpdesk roles and just worked my ass off doing menial tech work.

I then job hopped for like 4 years, got back into IT, studied for these fucking exams while working helpdesks and hated life.

Never ended up getting the certs, the experience always matters more.
>>
>>network engineer in a MSP
>>5 years
>>ccna
>>85k + 4-5k depending on projects
>>Perth WA

in the end I dont think my ccna matters that much, it is the experience and constant study that will shoot your career in IT, also make sure you can explain shit in layman terms when suggesting some upgrades and other shits, more projects you can bring, more money you will get if your company does commissions.
>>
>tells college i want to take classes for IT certs and front-end web developing becuase im a fag like that
>they put me in comp sci program instead

close enough
>>
>Job Title
Systems Engineer
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
CCNP/CCDP/BA in MIS
Applied online
>Pay
~150k
>Location
Tristate area (NY/NJ)
>>
between
>grinding out certs while working shitty help desk job

and
>going to school for 2 years for networking

which is the better option?
>>
>>56468166
Do both
>>
>>56468378
im not sure if id be able to do both.

what certs should i go for anyway? ive been told that if you start getting certs in stuff you dont actually work in its frowned upon when you go to apply for jobs
>>
File: aEzAeVM_460s.jpg (60KB, 460x594px) Image search: [Google]
aEzAeVM_460s.jpg
60KB, 460x594px
Stay at home programmer?
Is it possible?

I am studying programming fundamentals now, than Javascript, than Java programming language.

I dont know about getting a certification, should I?
The dream is to build a portfolio of 10 applications... and hope someone hires me or I feel comfortable shilling out my android / java programming skills to high bidders online?

Is this dream possible, because I just want to work at home and hang out with my dog.

I been told that development is the future of IT.

Network and CCNA are comfy deskjobs you go work and just die in a cubicle eventually... fuck that.
>>
File: 1467441934713.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1467441934713.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
What's the best allround cert for a NEET

Thinkgen bout doing the comptia thing desu

How much is the basic one and do i only have one try to pass the test
>>
My brother just got a job offer from a government agency as a security analyst. He currently works as an intelligence agent I'm pretty sure.

The new job is a mix between intelligence and IT security. He doesn't know a lot about computers, and especially not security (not sure why he got the job offer).

However, they said that he needs to get his Security+ cert within 30 days in order to get the job. Is this feasible given his background?

>tl;dr
Can someone with almost no knowledge of computer security complete Security+ certification within 30 days?
>>
>>56468723
Probably not, depends how ambitious his studying and retaining info is.
>>
>>56438500
I am about to take my Linux+ exam. I know everything, im just reviewing some stuff. like low level networking. From what im seeing the exam is gonna be easy. Is it worth take the exam? Also is it worth renewing this cert?
>>
>>56468706
I think you should start with the suicide practice cert

All NEETs should be killed. You're all failures if no company wants you onboard. All you'll do in your pathetic lives is draining social money anyway.
>>
>>56468783
So it's a pretty difficult cert? There's cheat-sheet study guide?

I don't know much about certs t᠎bh, I work in commercial and no one gives a shit about them.
>>
>>56468828
There's no cheat-sheet study guide?**
>>
>>56468803
They'd be draining more public money if they entered the prison system.
>>
>>56468477
For entry level certs it's not a problem
>>
>>56468828
Its difficult if you have no background in computers. You'll have to learn basic to intermediate networking and certain security concepts like ips, ids, vpn, encryption methods, certain attacks like xss, sql injection, mitm, social engineering. It's not difficult but it's also not easy.
>>
>>56468862
So... that's why I said they should be all killed.
Being NEET = being cancer
>>
>>56468803
bump :(
>>
>Job Title
Graduate Software Engineer at a cozy oil & gas company.
>Years of Experience
1.5 in helpdesk.
>Degrees/Certs
Diploma of Software Engineering & RHCSA
>Pay
60k AUD
>Location
Australia

Open for questions about the rhcsa or helpdesk / graduate programmer life. I didn't finish Uni, got about two years in and gave up.
>>
>>56468799
bump.
>>
>>56438500
>>Job Title
Software engineer
>>Years of Experience
1 year 8 months in a local helpdesk/site admin
>>Degrees/Certs
None. I finished high school.
First one - I just sent my CV to the first better company. They answered after a month.
Second one - HR department found me on kikedin. Hired me immediately.
>>Pay
$70k
>>Location
Poland
>>
File: imahg.jpg (20KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
imahg.jpg
20KB, 300x167px
Reading this thread makes me more suicidal than I already am.

Thanks /g/. IT was a good choice
>>
>>56469283
The guys who are doing well in the field have better things to do then shitpost on wednesday night, and those that do have they time are sociopaths
>>
should i take the linux+ cert? I already know how install distros on machines. I build my arch os. Is it worth taking and renewing?
>>
>>56469688
Every Google result says no, go for something that has a reputation and can't be guessed via multiple choice.
>>
File: 1468283200876.jpg (320KB, 702x1118px) Image search: [Google]
1468283200876.jpg
320KB, 702x1118px
>>56455307
>I've learned that deadlines are everything. They light a fire under one's ass.
This, it worries me sometimes.

>can't bring myself to do anything
>have weird idea to write down what I should do that day in my phone
>accomplish everything
>mfw something this small works
>>
I'm currently finishing my CS master here (Germony). While I do that I work for a guy who has a small shop here in town but also sells his shit online via amazon ebay and stuff. I basically write a software for him that allows him to quickly upload new products to 3 online marketplaces and also on the other end helps him do the shipping.

How do companies value that sort of work when I apply somewhere. It's not like I'm putting on a huge project here but what I've done so far goes beyond a simple script as well.
>>
>>56469814
It's a huge deal to be able to speed up the process of a business from a finance perspective, obviously. However this won't get you through the door, this is more of a "He's a keeper skill.". You'll still need your basic certs/degree to get the foot in the door.
>>
>>56469848
I'm really unsure about certs. The sole time a prof ever brought up a cert for anything it was about ITIL.

Aside from that certs have never been a topic at any point during my classes - like ever. If it wasn't for people on /g/ (mostly American I assume) talking about them, I wouldn't even know they exist.
>>
>>56469052
Your job duties mix doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>56469901
They help you aim for a more specialized field when applying against all the other BSC students.

>>56469916
Care to expand?
>>
>>56469916
Hey I already have job experience working in backend like server administration and never took a cert. I started working in eCommerce and they just happen to have a server guy quit so i had to maintain a server for a while. Will this get me anywhere?

I already know how to maintain packages and i am a full stack programmer.
>>
>>56469104

Sorry im finnabusting i linked the wrong post.
>>56470033
>>
>>56469963
Software engineering has nothing to do with helpdesk

>>56470033
How big is your company, ten people?
>>
>>56470117
You're right, in that sense it doesn't but I couldn't find a job working as a programmer for around 4 months so i took the helpdesk offer, worked on my github projects, applied later down the track for a programming position and got it. Just because someone worked a specific field doesn't mean they're stuck there for life right?.
>>
>>56468477
This is bull. My original hiring manager described the current American talent pool as "embarrassing" since there's no experience. Thst doesn't mean you need five years as a director, i worked retail sales in college. It's not just industry experience, life outside a classroom environment is totally different and any whiff you can learn fast is solid. All this shit is changing so fast that the kid with the PhD is great but likely the real innovations happen in private sector and are translated into academia and public standards later
>>
>>56438500
Employer is paying for training at New Horizons to help me get certified. What can I expect?
Getting Net +, Sec+, and CCNA
>>
>>56470117
5-6 people.
I should mention that i dont work on the server as much anymore there other things to be done and as much i want to work on the server the boss says its not important right now. lol
>>
>>56470170
Why list it then? I was a preschool teacher before I went into IT and I didn't put that down.
>>
>>56470318
If you have one server you should be spending about 15 minutes a week on maintaining it.
>>
>>56470350
Also with 5 users you should be spending about 30 minutes a week on desktop support.
>>
>>56468691
bumping for this, also interested
>>
Help desk for about 2 years and studying my ccent then ccna. I haven't quite decided which ccna path I'm leaning towards. I mean security seems pretty interesting but r&s would present much more jobs. Is 2 years help desk enough exp plus a cert to get into a junior admin position? It's gotta be.
>>
>>56470405
>>56470350
I just wanna know with my experience can i move on and find a new better job? Are these certs really necessary if i already have the job experience.
>>
File: 1473018291944.jpg (339KB, 1073x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1473018291944.jpg
339KB, 1073x1280px
>>56438500
I work as the tech guy at a small (like 5 people) business and people come in with everything from networking problems to viruses to 'oops grandma rotated the screen how do we fix it' to replacing laptop screens - what does that make me? Help desk? IT guy?
>>
>>56470330
Because i'm sure a lot of people here will be using help desk as a entry job to get into their desired field.
>>
>>56447029
fuck yeah dude! im from Costa Rica, what company are you talking about?

and yeah, we basically slave ourselves here, at IT guy makes about 2k USD here and its considered "good", even quite about the national average. and also, theres a lack of IT people here, im studying IT right now
>>
I'm going for a 2-year degree in "IT Management" soon and I'm gonna try to weasel my way into a nice, non-helpdesk position after I'm done. Might have to intern as helpdesk during the course, but oh well. Also going to shoot for as many Security certs as I can.

>>56470586
Handyman.
>>
>tfw 20 working a 70k a year network admin job without any college

I currently have Security plus and a top secret security clearance. What certs should i get if I'm trying to get six figures by the time I'm 25?
>>
>>56470510
I don't know if what you're doing even qualifies as experience.
>>
>>56470689
The best way to get raises is to switch companies.
>>
>>56470669
just did some research, here in Costa Rica, a sys admin with 5 years of experience makes an average of 1384.41 USD a month
thats less than 20K a year, i feel bad for you gringos
>>
>>56469104
70k is a ton of money in Poland, congrats. Can you tell me what your day to day looks like? I can't imagine what a software engineer does all day long.
>>
>>56470669
>studying IT

yikes
>>
>>56470685
>handyman
I was hoping for a more technical term that sounds nicer on a resume but unfortunately it's pretty fitting.
>>
>>56464867
Go for you my dude. I'm willing to hate 4 years of my life. I certainly hope certs speed up the process.
>>
>>56470716
Checking if the our website is up. checking and turning off processes. Reindexing for content managers.
>>
>>56470908
What you did there is pretty much system admin's work, so you can probably put that on a resume if you want. "Systems Administrator & Senior Technician" or something.
>>
>>56464818
what else to really put me on top?
>>
>>56471065
Still here, I just realized the other day I have no idea what I technically am. It's always random stuff too so I think something small like 'PC Technician' or something similar probably is the most accurate.
>>
>>56470996
I can write a script for each of those things then you're out of a job.
>>
>>56472555
>I can write a script for each of those things then you're out of a job.

I'm the one who wrote the script in the first place.
>>
Hey 4chin i'm really interested into learning to code, i have some basic knowledge about lenguages and how to code, nothing more;
>where can i start?
>is having a career needed?
Show me the way anons
>>
>>56458445

You could try Unisys (the company that contracts Smartech), but I'm pretty sure most of those jobs aren't entry level.

The word "independent" is absolutely key when looking for jobs with companies like Smartech, because anything that isn't that's on that level is call center.
>>
Is g literally full of call centre guys taking the piss out of Indians who are actually software engineers?

Lmao
>>
>>56469052
I'm interested in your 1.5 years in help desk and your RHCSA, were those important in getting your current job? How important was your degree?
>>
>>56469052
So you grauduated as software engineer and went to help desk ?
IT is pretty much dying everyone is poring into it pretty sure it'll be dead within 10years for most people. All the pajeets will do everything and big companies are already doing it.
Security route will be the best way specially for embedded devices.
>>
>>56438500
>Tried help desk
>Ended up nearly killing myself
>Now unemployed with no certs

I don't even know if I want to do IT anymore
>>
Is a $10/hr part-time job on contract worth going for?
>>
>>56478100

If you need the experience then yes
>>
>>56479050
Even if an on-contract position for Help Desk is technically illegal?
>>
>>56479095

Given the amount of "technically illegal" shit that goes down in the IT world (particularly entry level), I say go for it anyway.
>>
>>56469901
Professors know nothing about the industry
>>
>>56479095
If it's an illegal position (whatever that means) your employer is who would get busted, not you.
>>
>>56438990
>DOD

not americuck, any advice?
>>
If someone is just wanting a comfy ass job to make an OK living what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>56480123
IT for local government
>>
>>56480123
web dev, seriously
>>
File: computer anger.png (121KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
computer anger.png
121KB, 500x500px
>apply for job
>go through two interviews
>get a call to get references yesterday
>today check for more job postings
>see job I interviewed/gave job references for up on job posting
>>
>>56480630
elaborate.

I'm a 22 yo NEET studying for certs and doing web deb on the side. Do you work in web dev?
>>
Anyone do any IT work for a government/school districts?

What's it like, pay etc?
>>
Is this the NEET advise thread?
I am 25 and jobless and I want a job, what do?
>>
>>56482353
No, that's /wdg/.
>>
>>56450061
Sounds awesome bro. I droped out of university too. I'm planning on learning some programing languages first at the main start, maybe Python. Hopefully after 2 years or so I can acheieve something better.
>>
>>56482267
Well in the case of state government (least Kentucky anyway) the pay is decent but not mind blowing depending on job title/pay class. However the benefits are good and the only way you can be fired is if you really, really screw up (aka cheat on time or show up drunk/stoned) or the gov goes bankrupt.
>>
>>56482267
Pay is decent, within 10% of market but everyone is really lazy
>>
I'm studying for A+ now, what's the best direction to go from here?
>>
File: Mike-Headshot-Small-281x300.png (96KB, 281x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mike-Headshot-Small-281x300.png
96KB, 281x300px
Thoughts on his books and video courss for A and Network+?
>>
>>56483788
I was watching his videos and he said his handle was desweds on most things, but I couldn't find him on Steam. Must have changed it because every autist taking his courses must want to be his bro.
>>
>>56445616
wondering this as well
>>
>>56464138
I've used Cbt nuggets primarily (for CCNA r+s, sec+, and CCNA sec). I've only recently become acquainted with Cisco learning network. It just feels more tailored and the labs are great. Some videos and webinars I've attended were from the authors of the official cert guides. And it's cheaper than cbt nuggets by a lot if you're paying for it yourself. I think cbt nugget's Keith Baker is the best tho.
>>
>>56483534
Sounds like my kind of job tbqh.
I'm in TN senpai.
>>
>>56438789
https://www.reddit.com/r/ccna/

Not kidding, they crowdfunded a ledditor to make free videos on yt, also is a safer space than 4chan
>>
Network engineer here (sort of)
I worked my way up from doing basic networking stuff. Now, I help design decent sized network segments and deal with general issues ranging from connection problems to sorting through areas and costing them with OSPF, setting and configuring VLANs, testing equipment, and solving congestion issues. Also did some light work in a data center.

Everything I learned I got from hands-on experience. I have absolutely no certs and have 2 years on this job.

What should I get to pad my resume (and eventually my salary)?
>>
>>56470762

Damn, if that's take home pay my entry level job is paying me 3 times as much
>>
>>Job Title
Suppor tSpecialist
>>Years of Experience
1 and a bit
>>Degrees/Certs
Business undergrad, majoring in Information Sys
CCNA
CNSE (Palo Alto cert)
luck mostly
>>Pay
~$40k
>>Location
Caribbean

when I started working I had 0 fucking experience networking and I basically had to work mostly terminating ethernet cable and accompany higher level techs on service calls, and get my CCNA at the same time. Got the CNSE maybe a month ago and I am getting the hang of security. Probably get R&S CCNP next and see if I want to keep in security.
>>
A bit of advice needed, I just found this Certification bundle from LearnSmart Systems

https://www.learnsmartsystems.com/catalogs/networkplus_brads/default.aspx

and wondering if this is trustworthy
>>
>>56479460
>whatever that means

From what I read its the fact that a contracted worker is not an employee, so you shouldn't be working in a company office using their equipment, or working any sort of mandatory hours.
>>
>majoring in Computer Information Technology

So..how am I in terms of getting a job?
>>
PROTIP for all the network engineers/admins ITT

CLI and GUI administration will become a thing of the past in the next 5 or so years. Familiarize yourself with SDN and general automation, and maybe hyperconvergence if you have the time.

On topic:
>Job Title
Senior Network and Cloud Consultant
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Too many bullshit ones to list but the relevant ones are
HP MASE
CCNP/DP
VCDX-NV
VCDX5-DCV
Nepotism
>Pay
>Location
Boston
>>
>>56486824
What exactly is SDN? Seems like just a meme term.
>>
>>56486852
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/software-defined-networking/overview.html?CAMPAIGN=softwaredefinednetworking&COUNTRY_SITE=us&POSITION=vanity&REFERRING_SITE=vanity&CREATIVE=go%2Bsdn
>>
File: 12-8-OpenFlow-Diagram.jpg (55KB, 417x348px) Image search: [Google]
12-8-OpenFlow-Diagram.jpg
55KB, 417x348px
>>56486852
Centralization of the control plane is the shortest definition.

Look up OpenFlow if you want a more real-world view of how shit works. Pic related
>>
>>56438500
Ass. Linux systems admin
3 years experience

A+
Net+
Security +
Linux +
working towards RHCSA

pay is approx. 50k
I work remotely
>>
>>56486922
My understanding is its automated by scripts and frameworks like puppet chef or ansible.
>>
>>56486964
Depends entirely on how you want to build it, I've seen a couple of implementations using ansible, but nothing with puppet (yet).

95% of implementations that I see use OpenFlow compatible network devices and a vendor's SDN controller (Cisco, HP, etc.). They use the vendor's canned southbound APIs and have their dev team use/build whatever northbound APIs they want.
>>
Anyone ever applied for a paraprofessional IT job?
>>
Can I get an entry level NOC position with just a Security+ and a CCNA with no prior IT experience (unless you count fixing my sister and her friends computers) or do I have to serve my time in help desk first?
>>
>>56487133
School position?
>>
>>56487267
Yeah, basically just someone there to make sure things are working.
>>
>>56487330
I am in the middle of applying for one, but I'm not hired as of yet.

It's basically an campus assistant/entry tech position.
>>
>>56486824
Does this apply to sysadmins?
>>
>>56487871
Everything I do is scripts and shit like puppet/chef/dsc
>>
>>56486717
What country are you in? Here in the US contractors are treated like FTEs all the time
>>
>>56487330
That's not an IT position
>>
hi g, i'm currently working on a medium enterprise company as a mobile developer. There's this guy who has a little experience but earning 660 usd a month compare to mine at 530 usd a month. I know his salary because I hired him. And I deeply regret that I hired this guy, I'm not even a supervisor but the company decides that I should handle the technical interview because I have almost 4 years in this area. We handle different project, right now he just chat and play mobile games mostly through out the day. The thing is i'm still in probationary almost 11 months now. I'm having a difficulty to find different company because of my skill sets and only finished 2 year vocational course. I already had 5 interviews but I still failed.

Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>56475050
The diploma was obviously, and the RHCSA was a bonus, they said they were looking for someone that knew how to maintain and deploy hardware alongside writing it, which is, surprisingly uncommon the told me.

>>56477624
Yeah i did my Diploma then the only offers i was getting was for helpdesk, finally broke down and did a year of it whilst trying to improve my other skills, honestly the year of helpdesk gave me plenty of time to learn other skills so it wasn't all bad.
>>
Do I need a college diploma to get a basic IT job? Like "My computer won't turn on can you come fix it" IT job
>>
>>56492010
No. Literally anyone can get a help desk job. If you understand how to use control panel you're qualified.
>>
>>56489299
I'm in the US just as you

Just because you are a contractor working as a FTE doesn't mean its legal.

Its the reason why there is no such thing as a "Contracted Employee", because to be one is illegal according to the IRS.

And I'm not gonna fuck with the IRS.
>>
I'm about to finish a BA in Business with a concentration in Info Systems and year of help desk under my belt. Is this enough for a sysadmin/sys analyst position or are there any certs I should study for before applying to jobs?
>>
Im trying to figure out should I do an adv diploma in computer systems engineering or adv diploma in cyber security? A reason you chose whatever you chose would be great too.
>>
>>56494287
You can get junior sysadmin positions..not sure they'd give you a full blown admin spot. MCSE is good for admin positions. Most sysadmin positions want 3-4 years of support experience.
>>
>>56438500
>software engineer
>0
>polytechnic diploma(finishing)
>cold call
>internship(1000eur)
>eastern europe
>>
Any advice for someone with no work experience and no qualifications?

Currently working at a dead end retail job lifting boxes and I want a helpdesk job, or any entry level tech job really. I took a networking class in hs where I learned to make cables (fiber,cat5, etc) and took portions of the ccna.

I laughed at the A+ years ago (when the cert was actually lifetime) but now I'm actually thinking of getting it to get my life back on track.
>>
>>56495168
fuck, are you me? I had a chance to take the A+ years ago for free but I said fuck it.
>>
File: mindset.jpg (57KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
mindset.jpg
57KB, 850x400px
>>56495168
>>
What are my options if I want to look at online schools? I don't want to learn on my own because I actually do want a meme paper to show alongside with a portfolio. I want to learn programming through some kind of courses which end in a high likely hood in getting a job. Afterwards I would consider going back to school or gets additional certs or whatever to further myself but for now I need to work towards something attainable in the near future so I can do adult shit.

I really like the idea of having to do some kind of homework and having to have it completed by a certain time because someone told me to and not because I'm learning on my own for free from some resources. I just don't have the personality or traits for that. It's basically going to set me up for failure so I'd be willing to pay and money for the motivation.

What info can you guys give me regarding this.
>>
>>56496269
Actually now that I think about it I think my question is really are online degrees credible? I can see have a slight disadvantage from traditional in the hiring process I guess but I figure after the first job my resume will speak more for itself than just my education. Also are full 100% online degrees dead ends? Could I if I wanted to decide to go to a traditional after I completed my online one would anything even transfer? Like if I got an associates for some kind of programming but wanted to go for a BA in a traditional college.
>>
>>56492010
No, you can do that without a high school diploma even
>>
>>56493482
Whoever told you that is fucking stupid

>>56494287
You need more experience, best you can do is a junior admin
>>
>>56496372
You are now aware that most colleges offer a significant portion of their classes online
>>
My school offers this certificate. Can I do anything with it? Its a stepping stone before going into an associates and then a bachelors. I could do this with a year easy which is what I'm looking for but is this enough to get me some kind of job? It also includes math and english shit but I feel like most entry level jobs regarding programming require BA more than just C++ and it feels like this is all it is. Just a lot of C++.
>>
>>56496723
forgot pic
>>
So where do i get the online books for learning the compia exam stuff? Is there a website other then pirate bay cant find any good books on this stuff
>>
>Job Title
Cloud Support Associate

>Years of Experience
0 (few months internships across the years in software engineering, it's a graduate program)

>Degrees/Certs
BSc Computer Science
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate

Applied at a Uni careers event

>Pay
€40,000

I basically help people with their AWS Cloud Infrastructure. Some people are idiots who can't use AWS for shit but there's a lot of interesting scenarios where we have to coordinate with customers and help fix their infrastructure. It's not a true tech support job, there's a fuck-ton of technical knowledge that you need to build up, it's not really the soul crushing job of a typical helpdesk employee. The pay is fucking great considering the location in Ireland and that I'm barely out of university, and there's a good chance of getting hefty pay increases in just a few years. I think it's pretty comfy. I'll also get to work on coding projects later on, so I get a chance to work in both worlds, so to speak.
>>
>>56496523
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc762.html
>>
>>56486943
do you have a degree?
>>
File: 1471066219649.jpg (69KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
1471066219649.jpg
69KB, 504x470px
>>56468691
I'd say you have to be proven and experienced to a "work-at-home" programmer, if you want to work for a company that is. Either that or come up with something and make it, but of course you're taking a risk.

Working in programming isn't all rainbows and sunshine. It's just as soul crushing as "desk jobs" under certain conditions (in fact it IS a desk job). I know plenty of people who want to shoot themselves after working on a dev team for 6 months. It's not for everyone. You may enjoy programming on your own, but things are different when you're in a team, working to a schedule and following whatever meme development practices the team/company uses.

If you can find some way to work from home and be perfectly happy, then fair play to you. But all I'm saying is don't get your hopes up. If what you are wanting was easy to achieve, all of us would be doing it.
>>
>>56497664
Your reading comprehension sucks senpai. It isn't saying what you think it says.
>>
How do you even get an entry level help desk job?

Do you basically have to use one of those IT staffing places and hope they don't dump you in a shit call center?
>>
>Job Title
IT Technician

>Years of Experience
<1 (Just started current job. I have 3 years experience working same position at a school)

>Degrees/Certs
Associates in Applied Sciences relating to Networking Technology (AAS Network Technology is what is on my diploma)
No Certs.

Applied online.

>Pay
$47k

I'm 21. Just got this job a few months ago. My main duty is desktop support, but I do dabble into analog phones and shit. A lot of the networking is done by the corporate office. Any recommendations for Certs or how to further my career?
>>
>>56498630
Same guy here. I should change the <1 years experience. Just what I'm saying is my job before my current one was a lot different, and wasn't exactly the same responsibilities. At the school i dealt with a lot of dumb teachers as help desk support, but also was in charge of redesigning the network infrastructure. Kinda wish I had that opportunity here :(

So over all. 3 years of experience. Yeah.
>>
>>56470689
How in the balls did you manage that?
>>
>>56482267
I worked for a school district part time for 3 years as desktop support. I was mainly the only one who knew how to do anything. Head of IT was retiring, so he gave no shits, and other tech was just a waste. The school was paying me 10.40 and hour.

Coming to the end of the 3rd school year working there, I was told that they would finally look to open a full time position for me after me asking forever.
At this point we had a new head of IT and he really wanted this one kid to come in and help out. School hired him on the spot full time making 40k a year. Decent money starting off. Meanwhile I was still being shafted because I was cheap labor and really good at my job. Ended up quitting and now im making 30/hr so I'm fine.

Still talk to some of the students there that I've known for years. Tell me new IT doesn't know how to do anything and the teachers started complaining to the Super about how shit he is.

Sad part about the whole this is I was doing research on upgrading their network and I recommended these Meraki switches to go along with the wireless APs that were put in. Not the best units but the configuration is easy to use and the GUI is helpful. School ordered them like a week before I put in my notice and now nobody knows anything about them. So sad.
>>
>>56498597
Go work in silicon valley
>>
>>56498672
Giving that responsibility to a tier 1 technician is the height of idiocy.
>>
>>56499221
From what I was told by the useless technician, 90% of my idea worked. The only thing I didn't get right was relocating wireless APs. I didnt care too much for that since the wireless was just fine minus the Super not being able to use the WiFi on his phone.
>>
>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
~5
>Degrees/Certs
A+,N+,S+ CCNA R&S
Website
>Pay
>Location
Bagram, Afghanistan
>>
>>56499433
How are you alive?
>>
>>56499335
Do you think the useless technician had any idea what he was talking about? Someone who architects well designed networks makes much more than I do and has a much deeper understanding of networking. And I'm a senior systems analyst
>>
File: 1450125928224.jpg (340KB, 2112x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1450125928224.jpg
340KB, 2112x1584px
>>56438500

>Job Title

System Maintainer

>Years of Experience

First year, left uni after 4 semester of smoking weed and jerking off

>Degrees/Certs

none

job ad and luck in the interview

>Pay

~25k eur / yr excluding expenses/tax/rent

>Location

germany

It's probably the job with the least IT experience or knowledge required that you could imagine, I sit in front of a desk doing mundane tasks like simple helpdesk stuff, maintaining internal programs or doing project work (we are setting up a new erp software to be launched in a year). Basically all IT related things are outsourced, some things need to be done in the AD ? you call the guy. Some new intern needs an account reset ? you call the guy.
You install new hardware into the network ? you call the guy.
I don't have domain admin or anything, I can access a few of our non critical servers but that's it, and in almost all cases it's to let some tech from another company remote in so they can fix some issue with the sql db.
The thing that bugs me the most about it is the helpdesk part and the absence of tech knownedge required. I'd even get into the whole windows admin stuff but as it is all relegated to our service provider it's not my job to learn about this stuff.
Im looking into programming and info sec on the side to maybe one day get my foot into the industry, but until then it's nice to atleast have a job with IT written on my cv, given I failed miserably at academia.
>>
>>56499624
Useless tech gets made fun of a lot by teachers and students alike for not knowing anything. so I doubt it.
>>
Quickest way to get a computer programmer job?
>>
>>56500050
learn Java or the .net thing and get a web dev job, if you're a bit lucky.
>>
>>56500050

do a project
doesn't matter what, if you can argue with technical people in the interview about your work and show them that you really know what you are talking about you are almost guaranteed to have a position, given that you project bears some technical complexity and the techniques used are somewhat relevant to the industry you are applying to (e.g. if you want to be a db dev don't do some kernel work in x86)
>>
>>56500145
what technologies are relevant for doing web development? Sorry, I'm an idiot. I guess I need a language, and some HTML, and... what else? Not interested in doing graphic design and shit, just coding I guess.
>>
>>56500198

as anon said
>>56500142

this shit is everywhere today
current project at my work is erp system entirely coded in .net
>>
Working as an IT Support Analyst in a NOC for a large ICT Managed Service company. It's my first week so I'm just training. I've just another week of training before I'll be on a 3 month rota with the Backup team until I'm shifted onto a different team to get a taste for different roles.
>>
>>56499859
So go ahead and figure that the opposite is true of whatever he told you.
>>
Anyone hear do ITIL V3 training before? Have a crash course on it next week. Take the exam next Wednesday after 3 days of having to learn it.
>>
>>56500228
>>56500228
>>56500228
I'm not interested in web dev at all. Should I pursue it anyways, since it's the easiest way in, just to get my foot in the door? How easy is it to change from web stuff to, say, software dev, or machine learning?
>>
>>56499503
Only on the outside am I alive anon, only on the outside.
>>
>>56500305
Do you have any previous experience, certs or degrees?

What kind of shit do they train you on?
>>
>>56499740
Outsourcing is really bad
>>
>>56501132

B.tech in Networking w/ CCNA 1,2,3,4 completed. A lot of it is forgotten though.

Worked in the IT department for one of the biggest stadiums in Europe as a part of a 6-month internship.

Went back to college to finish my degree. Came out looking for work and was picked up by a cowboy managed ICT company who I became disillusioned by because of how shitty I was treated. They had me working for two separate locations onsite and were probably charging them double my yearly pay for a job that I could have been earning 40k at. What was even worse is that the guy who was maintaining both sites couldn't give a shit about the handover and I had to shadow him for 5 days before he fucked off to look for a new job.

Left them after 2 months, and now I'm here doing all kinds of certs and training free of charge.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.