[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modifying laser to have white LED light.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: LG 431 with markup.jpg (461KB, 1912x948px) Image search: [Google]
LG 431 with markup.jpg
461KB, 1912x948px
I have a Crimson Trace LG-431 laser. I'd like to install a small forward facing white-light LED in addition to the laser. It seems that this is possible using the same pressure switch, battery and driver used for the laser/photodiode.

Right now, it seems plausible that I could install the LED in series or parallel with the laser diode, if the operating voltages are similar enough to get reliable operation.

However, I have poor intuition about such matters, and I understand that even minor and transiently exceeding the voltage and current limitations of diodes can damage them (to the point where a multi-meter could fry the device).

I've got the housing opened (pic related), and I'm ready to begin interrogating the circuit to figure out how much voltage I have to work with reaching the laser diode, and whether swapping out different cells will alter the voltage reaching the diode (starting by lowering available voltage from the battery compartment).

Does anyone with a better understanding of these topics have a better idea?

More technical specifications to follow.
>>
Crimson Trace LG-431:
Battery:
Manufacturer Recommended:
1x 1/3N Lithium (3V, 11.6x10.8mm)
Or 2x 357 (SR44) Silver Oxide Battery (3V total, 11.6x5.4mm)
Possible alternatives to alter available voltage:
SR54: 11.6x3.1, 1.55V (4.65V Max)
SR55: 11.6x2.1, 1.55V (7.75V Max)
365/366,S16,608: 11.6x1.65, 1.55v (9.3V Max)

The sky is the limit for available voltage, but the device components have voltage and current limits.

Laser:
Output: ~5mW
Wavelength: ~650nM
Operating Voltage: Unknown, need to check.
Constant Voltage Driver: Unknown, need to check.

Switch:
Pressure Operated, connected to Laser housing via PCB ribbon. Not amenable to modification outside of housing.

Patents:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/patents
https://www.google.com/patents/US8256154
>>
>>56428717
>I dont understand what current is
>>
File: DiodesHowToTheyWork.png (1MB, 888x614px) Image search: [Google]
DiodesHowToTheyWork.png
1MB, 888x614px
>>56428751
>I dont understand what current is

>>56428751
>>I dont understand what current is

I have one V=IR'y good reason to take caution with this project...
>>
File: Surefires.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Surefires.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>56428961
You do realize that laser probably draws around 20ma max? And at 3v you'll get a keychain LED levels of light output. Stop being a poorfag and just buy a Surefire.
>>
>>56428717
Tape small pen light to laser.
>>
>>56429022
>You do realize that laser probably draws around 20ma max? And at 3v you'll get a keychain LED levels of light output..

Keychain LED levels of light is the target for this modification. This isn't intended to be blindingly bright, but instead to provide a usable amount of illumination for target identification. A separate light would be a superior option, but the objective is to integrate it into the laser module for convenience sake (e.g. one-handed operation).

>>56429031
>Tape small pen light to laser.

Believe me, I looked into that. The main issues are holster compatibility and switch actuation; the LG-431 has good aftermarket holster support and already has an intuitive, ergonomic, automatic pressure switch.

There are companies that make good lights and good lasers for the LCP, but not that have both functions. This would add a weak LED to the LG-431 without adding any extra bulk and only adding a few grams (max) of weight.
>>
>>56429168
>but instead to provide a usable amount of illumination for target identification.
It wont unless your target is 3 inches away from you. You could have gotten the same result by putting a diffuser over the lens.

>but the objective is to integrate it into the laser module for convenience sake (e.g. one-handed operation).
Surefires have pressure switches too

>aftermarket holster support
You do realize that you can have holsters custom made?

>LCP
At the ranges you're using this gun you'll never need a light or laser. Practice on point shooting because thats what you'll end up doing.
>>
>>56429022

Why would you pay the surefire premium when nitecore exists?
>>
>>56429791
>nitecore
literally who?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.