[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installing Windows 10 on a Seperate Drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: WINDOWS-10-wallpaper.jpg (56KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WINDOWS-10-wallpaper.jpg
56KB, 1920x1080px
I recently bought a new SSD as well as a Windows 10 installation disc.
I already have Windows 7 installed on my primary SSD and I don't want to upgrade both drives.

Can I simply unplug my W7 SSD before I install W10 onto the other drive? Then I'll be able to choose in the future what drive boots up which OS at the bios screen? I've heard rumors of OS confusion.
>>
I haven't tried this but in theory it should work. But wait for confirmation here before proceeding.
>>
>>56428095
>buying windows
>>
>>56428095
You don't need to remove the Windows 7 SSD you can install 10 onto the new drive, Windows has its own boot manager that will pop up and ask which you wish to boot.
>>
>>56428165
Wouldn't it install on the whole comouter?
>>
Bumping this thread
Also curious. I don't have enough space on my primary drive to dual boot
>>
>>56428095
Yes you can OP, I did it that way albeit with HDD
just don't unplug your internet cable
and DISABLE FAST BOOT, it can corrupt windows 7 drive
>>
>>56428195
No, it asks you wish disk to use or even which partition to use.

If you tell it to use an entire disk it will setup an efi partition that will chainload ntloader which will have an entry for your old Windows 7 partition.

If you don't have efi support it will just install the win10 bootloader and ntloader will still have a Windows 7 option.
>>
>>56428226
>DISABLE FAST BOOT
Is that an option in the bios menu for the install?
>>
This thread trees the line between ok for /g/ and tech assistance pretty thinly, but since I assume windows 10 upgrading is a major issue for a lot of people right now, I guess it's ok.

To my knowledge, it SHOULD be ok. You shouldn't have to unplug the other drive though, but just to be safe unplug it.
>>
Somewhat related, how do I link drives to my alternate OS.

I have a windows 8.1 OS and it doesn't recognize my new Seagate I just installed, even though it shows up in the bios menu.
>>
Sounds like it's safe OP.
>>
>>56428106
Awesome post anon, completely pointless. Thanks for all your help.
>>
>>56428502
WTF man?
>>
>>56428502
Considering there's no consensus in this thread alone, with your logic every post here is useless
>>
>>56428415

>You shouldn't have to unplug the other drive though, but just to be safe unplug it.
>You don't have to stick a knife in the ground to prevent rain, but just to be safe do it anyway.

Literally computer illiterate.
>>
>>56428521

Anyone who has installed several Windows OSes knows that Windows has a boot manager, and it was already said, and you can Google it in 15 seconds. Just how dense are you?
>>
>>56428392
No, do it after you've installed windows 10.
Once Windows 10 crashed(or power went out), and my windows 7 disc wouldn't boot. It was just file system that was corrupted so I lost no data.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.