[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtual machine + LFS: does it make sense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: lfs-logo.png (16KB, 192x75px) Image search: [Google]
lfs-logo.png
16KB, 192x75px
Does building LFS on a virtual machine make sense? Or is it better to do all the work directly on my host machine? My only concern is whether you would learn 'less' on a virtual machine, maybe because a virtual environment might ease the process (host drivers, etc.). I really have not enough knowledge about the topic to figure it out, hence I ask you, /g/.
>>
>>56427123
Linux From Scratch doesn't make sense, ever. If you want to learn Linux, you should look into Linux source code and how various subsystems work.
>>
>>56427145
this I did lfs amd blfs once, you learn nothing you can't learn easier by reading docs
>>
>>56427123
>>56428215
There is going to be overhead with a LFS machine on a virtual machine. It would be faster to learn it on a host machine.
>>
>>56427123
I did LFS on a shitty netbook. No regrets, learned some. Definitely not practical, but fun and hands on.
>>
What the fuck is the point of lfs? I'm genuinely curious because it seems like an insane amount of work for no return.
>>
>>56429624
i did it, it was fun. I made a basic os for storage and a bit of browsing. There was buggerall in size and nothing unwanted was on it. You can add whatever package manager you want to it and customize it exactly how you like it. Updating was a breeze. Its all source based so pm's like portage and sbopkg work like a charm. Slackbuilds works fine manually too. Cant say about apt-get or yum though.
>>
>>56427123
Forget LFS and try a microkernel like seL4. It needs an entire userland made for it so put the seL4 kernel in a VM and then LFS your face off

If you build something that works post it somewhere and you'll prob get job offers
>>
Does Linux from scratch seriously take a week first install
>>
>>56429874
i did it over a couple of weeks i my spare time.
>>
>>56427123
Partition your drive and do it properly.
>>
>>56427123
It makes no difference. Yes, when building on a VM you may need to build a different set of drivers when you build the kernel, but that's all, and that doesn't really affect anything.
>>
There's no reason not to do it on your host system, or even entirely in a chroot while skipping the relatively insignificant kernel building / partitioning steps (unless you think you'll fuck up horribly).

The result is pretty useless, but it's a fun way to learn about all the "hidden" pieces that go in to making a GNU/Linux system. It's not a substitute for any real distribution with updates and support (and it does not teach you how to be a package maintainer). It's also not a way to create a minimalist system since you'll be adding tons of development tools / libraries, plus the mental overhead of keeping track of everything. If you want to build maintainable minimal systems try debootstrap with packages selectively built from source.
>>
>>56429874
I did it in one day, it's worth it.
>>
>>56427145
>Linux From Scratch doesn't make sense, ever.
It might if you're thinking about creating your own distro
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.